If you were picking a train trip to do, what would you choose?

Royalfan5

We've decided to do a train trip for a big vacation sometime in the next year or so in the US or Canada. I think our lean right now is Nebraska to SF, then north to Seattle, then back to Minneapolis and then home from there. Also considering doing some Mountain trip/cross country in Canada. Anyone have useful tips? 

I've never taken a train in North America. I've heard that Amtrak is a city bus on rails and is to be avoided at all costs. Is there a nicer version that would be worth it? I've ridden numerous trains throughout Europe and would highly recommend those. You can pretty much plan an entire trip, for whatever cities you want to see, by train only for most of Europe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

A train... in the US?  Thoughts and prayers.  

yeah that sounds awful.  We are not a god damn rail country.  There's some small regional ones that are nice, but moving cross-country? 

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

yeah that sounds awful.  We are not a god damn rail country.  There's some small regional ones that are nice, but moving cross-country? 

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

My wife loves Amtrak for some reason, and so did Grandma and since it's her death that is paying for it, I feel like I'm obligated. 

4 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Train travel always reminds me of this song.  Some great visuals.

Along with Atlantic City, I don't know if there is a bad version of this song as long as it's done by a competent musician 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

There’s a train from san antonio to LA 

Rode this from SA to Palm Springs. Then back about a week later. Very nice scenery for most of the journey. Should have gotten a sleeper car though. 

Much better than a bus, in every way possible. Even better then flying coach, although of course it takes much longer. However, you do have to interact with poors and minorities. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The train from Vancouver to Seattle was a nice ride.  The train from Htown to L.A. seems like it would be an interesting take on Texas.  From what i know it stops in Alpine, TX where you have just enough time to cross the street from the station to hit up Judy's Bread and Breakfast for some pastries.    

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I've never taken a train in North America. I've heard that Amtrak is a city bus on rails and is to be avoided at all costs. Is there a nicer version that would be worth it? I've ridden numerous trains throughout Europe and would highly recommend those. You can pretty much plan an entire trip, for whatever cities you want to see, by train only for most of Europe. 

This. The wife and CHIEF Jr. were already in Austin for a home game this year, and had her vehicle. I got the bright idea to jump on Amtrak, in Cleburne, at 4:15 and get off downtown. The train didn't get to Cleburne until almost 6 pm. The depot closed at 5 pm, so we just had to sit outside, in the heat, with no access to water or a bathroom. The trip wasn't bad, if you sit at the bar in the dining car. BUT, when we got to McGregor we had to sit on the track for over an hour waiting on a freight train to pass going the opposite direction. Then, at Belton, we had to do it again.

I finally called Mrs. CHIEF, told her about the shitshow, and had her come pick me up at the station in Taylor, as the train was going to have another hour delay. So, all in all, a trip that I can drive in about three hours took over five hours just to get me 45 minutes away.

There are Youtube videos of people traveling the eastern seaboard on Amtrak from Florida to New York where the train arrived almost a full 24 hours late. Also another one where the traveler jumped on Amtrak in Florida and rode to Seattle. He missed his ferry ride to Anchorage by four days.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

CHIEF Jr. went with my parents about 2010 or so. He said it was absolutely first class, Skyview roof was epic, food was phenomenal. Nice overnight accommodations in Kamloops. It is considered the best rail experience in North America by many.

CHIEF

VIA Rail 'Canadian' between Vancouver B.C. and Toronto, best train in North America. Five (I think) different levels of service. Stay in the Rockies for a couple of days, then catch the next train, whichever way you're heading. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/14/2024 at 10:30 AM, closetojumping said:

NE corridor Amtrak is fine. Nice even relative to flying or sitting in traffic on 95.

The Pacific coast route is supposedly stunning and a very nice way to cover some ground on a trip out that way.

That's about it lol.

We are also looking at a train trip, but i ruled out all of North America except the Vancouver to Banff line. As others have said, it can be a shit show.

We are looking at several Europe options including the Orient Express. We did a Swiss train a few years ago that was cool but not an overnight ride. Have done many train trips thru Germany, Italy, Czech, Etc. But again not overnight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/14/2024 at 1:18 PM, RollLeft said:

The train from Htown to L.A. seems like it would be an interesting take on Texas.  From what i know it stops in Alpine, TX 

I used to have access to a place out that way.  It was up just enough in elevation that one could see the train coming from a really long distance.  

In that high desert setting with no tree cover the train looked like a snake essing its way through the desert.  You didn’t see just part of the train as one could see the entire length at once.  Some of the trains were astoundingly long.  

For some reason those images burned into my mind.   

Anyway, carry on. 

Oh, definitely the Ft Worth to OKC route. Some of the best scenery in the country and when you get off, bam you're in Oklahoma!

My wife takes this occassionally to see the kids in the once area. It’s great. Big seat like first class. WiFi. Nice scenery. $28-36.
  • Hook 'Em 1

When we lived in Portland we went on several train trips. Got grounded from flying for a while so rode down the coast a couple times to the bay area and LA and it was great. Up to Seattle and Vancouver the across to Banff. Spectacular. Took one across the cascades and Rockies to Boise. The Denver to winter park is the way to go skiiing but it’s an hour.

I wanted to do an Alaskan rail trip but we moved away.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

When we lived in Portland we went on several train trips. Got grounded from flying for a while so rode down the coast a couple times to the bay area and LA and it was great. Up to Seattle and Vancouver the across to Banff. Spectacular. Took one across the cascades and Rockies to Boise. The Denver to winter park is the way to go skiiing but it’s an hour.

I wanted to do an Alaskan rail trip but we moved away.

How did you get grounded from flying?