You can time travel to any time/event in the past... where you going?

Slide a jar of stick'um up next to Jackie Smith, Vaseline for Christian Laettner. 

Watch Babe Ruth play. 

Make a certain escalator in 2015 violently and abruptly stop causing fatal injuries. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Do you get to kill and/or fuck anyone when time traveling? I feel like that's important to know.

Yeah, this definitely sways how suspicious my answer will be.

7 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

You are present, but your actions don't have an impact on the future.

So you get back to the future and you forget everything you experienced?  Lame.   Because the whole point is to get experience that influences your life in some way.   Otherwise it's a great dream that you forgot.

In that vein, carrying back and forth a 20 or 30 pack of charged smart phones (or the like) would be mandatory.  Be the first slide show party in history that wasn't a huge bore.   Because people would see and hear Jesus, or Shakespeare, or Mozart, or Mohammed, or Napoleon, or Jefferson, or some shit like that.   But to only pick one?  Hmmm

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Also most of them were not nearly as crazy or jaw-dropping as you’d think they are. Especially the older ones, just boringly executed slaughter for the most part. I even think about Omaha Beach on D-Day. Was it an insanely intense and brutal battle? Of course. Was it as frenetic as depicted in Saving Private Ryan? Probably not. 

My grandfather came in two days after and the stories he told me, of the carnage, were horrific to say the least.  He was also the only survivor of his platoon in the battle of the bulge, in case you also want to throw doubt into what a massacre that was.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Gotta go back and see what Jesus of Nazareth was really about.  I would go expecting to be disappointed.  2nd on the list (assuming I have unlimited time and don’t age while I’m time traveling) would be to go back and watch my parents as children and young adults; I think it would really help me with my life’s biggest problems.  Same for going back and watching my own childhood, assuming that’s within the rules of the hypothetical.

Other than that the list is really too long.  I’d love to be an immortal fly-on-the-wall time traveler.  I’d watch a lot of speeches, battles, sporting events, and concerts.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Gotta go back and see what Jesus of Nazareth was really about.  I would go expecting to be disappointed.  2nd on the list (assuming I have unlimited time and don’t age while I’m time traveling) would be to go back and watch my parents as children and young adults; I think it would really help me with my life’s biggest problems.  Same for going back and watching my own childhood, assuming that’s within the rules of the hypothetical.

I'd go back to observe Snake Diggity's conception. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Helobious said:

Was it an insanely intense and brutal battle? Of course. Was it as frenetic as depicted in Saving Private Ryan? Probably not. 

My grandfather was a Higgins boat pilot during many of the major Pacific beach landings (Okinawa, Iwo Jima- where he was awarded a Silver Star for saving some marines when his boat took a direct hit and sank, some others). He told me he couldn't make it through the opening scene of Private Ryan because it was so real. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

My grandfather was a Higgins boat pilot during many of the major Pacific beach landings (Okinawa, Iwo Jima- where he was awarded a Silver Star for saving some marines when his boat took a direct hit and sank, some others). He told me he couldn't make it through the opening scene of Private Ryan because it was so real. 

Nah. Sure he was there, but the guy on the internet says it wasn't as crazy as that.

• 2 weeks later...

On a personal note, I'd go back to a time when my father and grandfather were alive and in their right minds.  But only with the knowledge I have now, because I would have only been like 13 at that time.  So many questions about family history, my dad's experiences in WW2, at UT with all the others on the GI Bill.  

1) To be part of the Lewis and Clark Expedition

2) Cadillac Bar back in its heyday

3) The last days of the Knights Templar

4) Pompeii before and during the eruption

5) Michu Picchu at its peak

• Hook 'Em 1

Easy one for me.  1987.  Christmas on the Farm.  The family matriarch, Mama Phillips, would host an overnight Christmas party every year on the family farm outside of Comanche.  Family, tons of food, hayrides, midnight pranks.  As a kid, I didn't appreciate all those that are now gone.  Hell, the last one I attended was my senior year in HS.  All I could think about was my upcoming move to the 40.  To just be able to be there again and appreciate all the history and stories.... man.  Mama Phillips came to Comanche from East TN in a covered wagon.  Papa Phillips grew up on an Indian reservation in Oklahoma.  Almost died from a rattlesnake bite as a kid.  My grandfather was one of 7 children that grew up on the farm.  The other 6 were his sisters.  He fought in the PTO during WWII.  I'd just sit and listen all night.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Id probably just spectate a bunch of famous historical battles. More ancient the better.

See some mongorian raids. Battle of the blackwater. The burning of harrenhal. Attack on deepwood motte. That kinda shit. 

That’s going to be some unbelievably gory shit on a crazy unimaginable scale. No thanks.

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 2:34 PM, deadshank said:

January 1984.  Dallas. 

I’m tying together Craig Curry’s shoelaces, hiding his hemmit and will field the punt myself. 

Shit this was gonna be my answer. Oh well. 

next answer Austin when Clarksville was home to the musicians and Townes and Guy Clark were shooting cans with shotguns in the front yard.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If possible, I'd go back to that fateful day I signed up for the Shag.

There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then, a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime.

I wanna talk to him. I wanna try to talk some sense to him -- tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I gotta live with that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

On 3/16/2024 at 3:29 PM, honolulu horn said:

Surly is incredible. You can go literally anywhere, at any time, and some people choose Galveston, seeing The Bee Gees, or heading back to the 1980s. Hey guys, I listened to the Bee Gees in the 1980s while in Galveston, and I can tell you that your return on investment for any of those is going to be really, really low. 

Observing Jesus or Mohammad? Watching the I Have a Dream speech or the Gettysburg Address? Witnessing the first flight, the construction of the pyramids, or ceremonies at Incan temples? Landing on the fucking moon? Nah, bro, I'm good, take me to Galveston. 

I predict the Balinese room had a pungent aroma and iffy air conditioning.

None of you motherfuckers said "Roman orgy"?  Alright then, Roman orgy.

Also the ancient Egyptian Festival of Drunkeness.  Sounds like a hell of a party.  

And just for fun, here's my favorite Playboy After Dark vid:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 10:54 PM, Tex Long said:

Without having seen a single post here, I'm going to the day the first work started on the Great Pyramid at Giza.

Who's with me?

you know day 1 is going to look like the nubian version of this:

4jlpqn.jpg

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

None of you motherfuckers said "Roman orgy"?  Alright then, Roman orgy.

Also the ancient Egyptian Festival of Drunkeness.  Sounds like a hell of a party.  

And just for fun, here's my favorite Playboy After Dark vid:

Ahhhh, Barbie Benton.drool GIF

I would say there are so many. As many of us here are readers and amateur historians the choices are almost limitless.

1. Inside the room for the Continental Congress and to see the Declaration of Independence being signed. I’ve already been in the room.

2. Early Imperial China, Ancient Rome, Greece and Egypt.

3. I’d love to see my grandfathers and great grandfathers as young men. I’d like to see how my ancestors lived in Sweden and Germany.

4. Yorktown as the British fell.

The list could go on, and on, and on.

• Hook 'Em 1