I did not know that... trivial stuff you just learned

locodos

Dammit Brick, now is not the time!  

It's cattle belching, not farting that causes the methane release way more significantly than their 'farting.'  Of course, I think we've all been at a dinner party and chalked up a nasty fart to "pardon my belch"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, locodos said:

Share trivial interesting things you just learned.  Doesn't need to be important or useful. 

There are more Redwoods in the UK than there are in California.  By almost 6x

Giant redwoods: World’s largest trees 'thriving in UK'

About 20% of the world's giant sequoias (those 4ft or more in diameter) have been killed by wildfire since 2020.

Paul Giamatti's dad was the commissioner of MLB. He lasted only a few months before he died of a heart attack.

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Paul Giamatti's dad was the commissioner of MLB. He lasted only a few months before he died of a heart attack.

And Paul got into acting because of his father's banning of Pete Rose.  Long story.  

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 9:30 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I remember a story that a cardiologist saw a close-up of  Giamatti on TV, and noticed something that disturbed him...IIRC it was his fingernails.  He attempted to reach Giamatti to tell him to get to the ER, but the message wasn't relayed in time.

This is from my memory of the time, so I may be full of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Orlandos is my usual pick, but Chips Sports Bar does em. Caprock Cafe.  Lotsa places have them.

When I moved away, I missed a frozen schooner of beer on a summer day.  It just feels like coming home again when I get one.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Orlandos is my usual pick, but Chips Sports Bar does em. Caprock Cafe.  Lotsa places have them.

When I moved away, I missed a frozen schooner of beer on a summer day.  It just feels like coming home again when I get one.

Is the O Bar still around?

On 3/13/2024 at 10:04 AM, locodos said:

Share trivial interesting things you just learned.  Doesn't need to be important or useful. 

There are more Redwoods in the UK than there are in California.  By almost 6x

Giant redwoods: World’s largest trees 'thriving in UK'

NorCal interesting trivial information makes me think of the fact the Tahoe is West of L.A.  Thanks Daniel Tosh. That one has stuck with me for 15 years and won a couple of bar bets. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The first ever description of a dinosaur fossil had been by Robert Plot, first director of the Ashmolean Museum at Oxford in his Natural History of Oxford-shire of 1677. It was the distal end of a femur and had been found in the village of Cornwell in Oxfordshire. Plot gave an excellent drawing of the bone, but identified it as the thigh bone of a human giant. (Every paleontology student also knows that in 1772, the naturalist Richard Brookes turned Plot's figure upside down and, noting a startling resemblance to male genitalia, gave it its first formal name: Scrotum humanum. Probably because of this notoriety, the original specimen has long since disappeared.

@Pods

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Greek Amazons weren't from the Amazon. Their kingdom was in Pontus in northern Anatolia, on the southern shores of the Black Sea - For those keeping score, that is in Turkey. So Gal Gadot was from Turkey not the Western Hemisphere.

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The first ever description of a dinosaur fossil had been by Robert Plot, first director of the Ashmolean Museum at Oxford in his Natural History of Oxford-shire of 1677. It was the distal end of a femur and had been found in the village of Cornwell in Oxfordshire. Plot gave an excellent drawing of the bone, but identified it as the thigh bone of a human giant. (Every paleontology student also knows that in 1772, the naturalist Richard Brookes turned Plot's figure upside down and, noting a startling resemblance to male genitalia, gave it its first formal name: Scrotum humanum. Probably because of this notoriety, the original specimen has long since disappeared.

@Pods

Brookes had a point though. It really does look a giant set of balls. 

image.png.37391812e58f17ddb17ef3bf66995c35.png

The original is missing, so we can't be sure, but it's probably the distal  end of a Megalosaurus thigh bone, where it meets the knee. 

image.thumb.png.9e570fb29a904d79a43371f5ab807446.png

• Haha 2