Baltimore Bridge Disaster

tx 3 putt

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

The conspiracy theories have been borderline amusing to read.  

My favorite is that it hit a load-bearing pylon, making it suspicious,  when in reality every single fucking pylon for that bridge was load bearing. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

My favorite is that it hit a load-bearing pylon, making it suspicious,  when in reality every single fucking pylon for that bridge was load bearing. 

Except for the secret DECOY pylons, which were entirely unnecessary but were put there as BAIT for the DEEP STATE to try to take out!  The only way the ship knew which pylon to hit was because, clearly, we have a MOLE inside the government releasing this information to the DEEP STATE.  That may seem nonsensical to you, but that's just because you haven't DONE THE RESEARCH, sheeple!

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Except for the secret DECOY pylons, which were entirely unnecessary but were put there as BAIT for the DEEP STATE to try to take out!  The only way the ship knew which pylon to hit was because, clearly, we have a MOLE inside the government releasing this information to the DEEP STATE.  That may seem nonsensical to you, but that's just because you haven't DONE THE RESEARCH, sheeple!

Having looked at photos of that bridge before the accident, it sure felt like it needed more load bearing pylons, because my expertise in building bridges with Lego, toothpicks, and wooden popsicle sticks, makes me think that was a long ass bridge with so few supports. With that said, it held up for many decades so my bridge making skills as a kid were apparently not that good,

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Having looked at photos of that bridge before the accident, it sure felt like it needed more load bearing pylons, because my expertise in building bridges with Lego, toothpicks, and wooden popsicle sticks, makes me think that was a long ass bridge with so few supports.

Flying buttresses. Do you see any? I don’t see any.  

Also, Royal Gorge in Colorado is fun.
IMG_2494.thumb.jpeg.719467839f2325b1273974b8929cb646.jpeg

Yesterday I posted that I drove to it from the wrong side and had to drive across it. I didn’t think they would let me but they didn’t care. My wife was scared shitless

I just talked to my best bud who drives those huge 1000 ft barge strings down the Mississippi from Illinois to Louisiana. As I was hanging up I said “try not to hit any bridges” and he laughed and said since the Baltimore incident his company is shitting bricks. They made him map out every one of the 70 bridges he will transit in the next 4 days.

Then he sent me this, from when a front pushed through recently.

fc59533a3bb6e29fa4cc6f291920cd50.jpg

There's a reason those guys make a half mil a year.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

I just talked to my best bud who drives those huge 1000 ft barge strings down the Mississippi from Illinois to Louisiana. As I was hanging up I said “try not to hit any bridges” and he laughed and said since the Baltimore incident his company is shitting bricks. They made him map out every one of the 70 bridges he will transit in the next 4 days.

Nice

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I’ve got a lot of respect for those tug captains that run the 6x2 and 6x3 arrangements.   Crazy stuff.  And this time of year the Mississippi is usually nuts with all the snowmelt.  

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm pretty sure the birds - the ones that aren't real - are definitely involved in this.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Our Norwegian exchange daughter is a knockout.  And her younger sister is significantly prettier than her.  She and my son are pals (as in, they're friends and goof off, zero romantic issues), and I don't get it.  Had I been around a girl who looked like that at his age, I'd have been a stammering, embarrassing fool.  He says "nah, she's like my sister, so it's all cool."  

The best wingman is a puppy. The second best wingman is a cool, hot female friend. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I think the new Corpus bridge that has gone thru three different companies being in charge and a shutdown in construction because of a design flaw will freak me out more than the old one..   

I always thought it was a cool bridge. I saw a video recently of how they’re having to fix the existing work in the new bridge. What a nightmare. The causeways always seemed freakier to me for reasons I can’t really explain, I think the sharper degree of rise and fall felt extreme.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

For those scared of bridges. Do not go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Long as shit, and when the wind is blowing it is not fun.

I do that one twice a year. It was fun to watch the new one being built: I’m amazed that they can start at each side and meet in the middle.

But it doesn’t scare me to cross it. You probably have a better chance of being struck by lightning than dying in a bridge collapse.
  • Hook 'Em 1

SIAP

The Dali cargo ship which smashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge suffered a 'severe electrical problem' while docked in Baltimore days before, according to a port worker. 

Julie Mitchell, co-administrator of Container Royalty, a company which tracks cargo, told CNN the ship was anchored at the port for at least 48 hours prior to the deadly crash. 

Following the devastation, she said: 'And those two days, they were having serious power outages… they had a severe electrical problem. It was total power failure, loss of engine power, everything.' 

Link to garbage bloated site - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13246079/Dali-cargo-ship-suffered-severe-electrical-problem-docked-Baltimore-days-prior-bridge-collapse-crash-saw-suffer-total-power-failure-loss-engine-failure-port-worker-says.html

• Rage+1 3

17 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I think the new Corpus bridge that has gone thru three different companies being in charge and a shutdown in construction because of a design flaw will freak me out more than the old one..   

IMG_9382.jpeg

IMG_9381.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

SIAP

The Dali cargo ship which smashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge suffered a 'severe electrical problem' while docked in Baltimore days before, according to a port worker. 

Julie Mitchell, co-administrator of Container Royalty, a company which tracks cargo, told CNN the ship was anchored at the port for at least 48 hours prior to the deadly crash. 

Following the devastation, she said: 'And those two days, they were having serious power outages… they had a severe electrical problem. It was total power failure, loss of engine power, everything.' 

Link to garbage bloated site - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13246079/Dali-cargo-ship-suffered-severe-electrical-problem-docked-Baltimore-days-prior-bridge-collapse-crash-saw-suffer-total-power-failure-loss-engine-failure-port-worker-says.html

Sounds like moneyed interests took a calculated risk at the public's expense to get that unseaworthy ship out to sea sooner than it was ready to sail. That's DEI!

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Sounds like moneyed interests took a calculated risk at the public's expense to get that unseaworthy ship out to sea sooner than it was ready to sail. That's DEI!

they can fix things while out on the water, get going !

21 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Several years ago I was stuck on I-5 a few miles south of the I-5 bridge.  I believe several miles of that interstate is elevated and essentially bridge.  I couldn't believe how much that section of road shook from truck traffic headed southbound.

You want those bridges to shake a little. Shake so that they are less likely to break when shaken by an earthquake. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

You want those bridges to shake a little. Shake so that they are less likely to break when shaken by an earthquake. 

I understand.  Its just a bit shocking to feel that when you are stopped no matter the physics/science/engineering/logic behind it.

It always amazes me how some of these bridges got built, especially the older ones like the Brooklyn Bridge, GGB etc... I ended up down a little bit of  an internet rabbit hole reading up on bridge building and the introduction of caissons, which resulted in the accompanying Caisson Disease (decompression sickness). Just figuring shit out as they went. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8682815/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Rio Grande Gorge bridge near Taos: 

(walked across this one)

maxresdefault.jpg

Little known (at least to us) and really cool attraction of that area.

Word to the wise: if you take a photo of your child showing the gorge, move them away from the "Crisis Hotline: There is Hope. Make the Call" suicide prevention phone.

Though it does make for a funny memory. (If they don't jump.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

GJs5d-DRXQAAks-e.jpg

I love how you took a screenshot instead of sharing the actual twitter thread where several experts debunk that statement.  Also that original tweet has since been deleted because it was inaccurate.

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

Th Tillman Bridge by the Hoover Dam is fun to walk out on. If you've only driven across it, you don't know what you are missing. It was cool to watch it being built  every time I drove out to Vegas from Texas. I do kinda miss driving over the Hoover Dam though.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3