Angie Harmon's dog shot and killed by Instacart driver

cmontexas

14 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

In the food delivery system the customers are represented by two separate yet equally important groups. The drivers who deliver the food and the dogs who attack the drivers. These are their stories.

This is outstanding-level Surly.  You have our gratitude.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hard to tell anything from that story. Was the dog loose? Did the delivery driver go back to the car for a gun to shoot the dog after delivering the food? It is hard to imagine the dog in that picture was much of a threat, but pretty much any dog could do some real damage if it actually wanted to. 

That said, I can tell with 100% certainty that @cmontexas is a sad, scared little man. 

• Drool 1

I know this sounds crazy, but I have a proposal. 

If your dog isn't well trained and could possibly run at or jump on a stranger, have the dog properly secured or keep it inside the house. 

If you're afraid of dogs, find a different tool outside of a lethal weapon to discourage it from invading your space. 

• Hook 'Em 6

13 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Nephew knew that once a dog tastes that goat, it won’t stop with one or two. 
kinda like chips. 
Heartbreaking it was for sure.

and once a dog tastes that driver, Instacart's business is dead in the water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 2

CSB: I was 13 or 14 riding my bike, and see my hot neighbor and her parents driving down the street in my direction. When they’re like 20 feet away from me some Rottweiler mutt comes charging out from a house barking at me. I knew not to try and run so I stop my bike and just stand there. Dog runs up close, but then retreats. Girl’s parents stopped and asked if I was ok. I said yeah (hiding that I was petrified). Never felt like a bigger badass and couldn’t believe that I had an audience for it. In some alternate reality I like to think that event ended with her blowing me after. 

TLDR: delivery driver sounds like a pussy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, royiv said:

Lol if you think 67% of food delivery folks are packing heat. Additional lol that you think “uncontrolled pit bulls” are some sort of gigantic threat to delivery drivers. How come postal carriers aren’t dropping like flies when all they can be armed with is pepper spray? Where are all the headlines about UPS, FedEx and Amazon delivery drivers getting mauled? Dude, you either sound like someone scared of their own shadow in this post or you just really want to justify killing a 30 pound dog. 

Words. “Biggest threat” is not the same as “gigantic”threat. I didnt even realize USPS could carry pepper spray.  It’s pretty damn effective against dogs, it’s like you’re making my argument for me. Theres a reason the UK has banned several breeds including pitbulls under multiple names. 

anyway, here are the first Google results…

Fancy pitbull (staffordshire terrier):

https://amp.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article280954793.html

This dude was killed by dogs

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amazon-delivery-driver-found-dead-apparent-dog-attack-rcna53834

And another victim

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/horrible-dashcam-shows-dog-attacking-delivery-driver-in-cooper-city/3132248/?amp=1

and so on.

Edited by B00M
If you were a delivery driver and had to get stitches after a dog attack, are you then calling the local news? Probably not

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

Words. “Biggest threat” is not the same as “gigantic”threat. I didnt even realize USPS could carry pepper spray.  It’s pretty damn effective against dogs, it’s like you’re making my argument for me. Theres a reason the UK has banned several breeds including pitbulls under multiple names. 

anyway, here are the first Google results…

Fancy pitbull (staffordshire terrier):

https://amp.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article280954793.html

This dude was killed by dogs

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amazon-delivery-driver-found-dead-apparent-dog-attack-rcna53834

And another victim

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/horrible-dashcam-shows-dog-attacking-delivery-driver-in-cooper-city/3132248/?amp=1

and so on.

Pepper spray /= firearm

Not everyone needs to be armed with a lethal weapon to protect themselves from occupational hazards.

As for your links, how many millions of deliveries are made each day? Of the occupational hazards of the occupation, I’m guessing FiFi is way below auto accidents, distracted driving, slip ‘n falls, back strain, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I know this sounds crazy, but I have a proposal. 

If your dog isn't well trained and could possibly run at or jump on a stranger, have the dog properly secured or keep it inside the house. 

If you're afraid of dogs, find a different tool outside of a lethal weapon to discourage it from invading your space. 

of course GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

In the food delivery system the customers are represented by two separate yet equally important groups. The drivers who deliver the food and the dogs who attack the drivers. These are their stories.

16 hours ago, Foosters said:

was it a black lab?

Nope. 

A dick wolf.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

We don't have food delivered often, but when we do we always note that the delivery should be left on the porch with no interaction.  Same with any other delivery that doesn't involve a signature.  Started doing it during the pandemic and then realized that it made sense to continue.  We have a dog that is mostly well-behaved but was trained in a house with young children, so there are definitely gaps.  He will jump on people when excited.  It pisses me off but my daughter is hell bent on encouraging the behavior when I'm not looking.  Why potentially subject someone to that when so many are afraid of dogs?  And why risk a ridiculous interaction like the one in the OP?  

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, royiv said:

Pepper spray /= firearm

Not everyone needs to be armed with a lethal weapon to protect themselves from occupational hazards.

As for your links, how many millions of deliveries are made each day? Of the occupational hazards of the occupation, I’m guessing FiFi is way below auto accidents, distracted driving, slip ‘n falls, back strain, etc. 

First, I never said that dumbass should have shot harmon’s dog. 

Anyway, nothing you said changes the statistics about how Americans feel about guns and how it’s legal, especially in Texas, for delivery drivers to be armed.

I pulled a few links supporting that dogs are a problem for delivery drivers. I’m struggling to find good data ranking their occupational hazards beyond “dog bites are a frequent source of injury” — the official number appears to be around 6k/year. 75% of those are pits and rots.

A driver is probably not gonna pull a gun on their lower back strain or the guy they rear ended in traffic so I’m not sure how relevant that is to the discussion. But sure, I’ll admit that I was technically incorrect when I said dogs are probably the biggest threat to delivery guys — it’s in fact accidents. 

Edited by B00M

On 4/3/2024 at 10:33 AM, royiv said:

Pepper spray /= firearm

Pepper spray is not the reliable solution you think it is. Our two airedales will fight each other to the death over a piece of dropped popcorn. 

We've hosed them down with pepper spray multiple times to get them stop and it didn't even faze them. We just end up having a house full of pepper spray and dogs that need several baths.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, rage-a-holic said:

Pepper spray is not the reliable solution you think it is. Our two airedales will fight each other to the death over a piece of dropped popcorn. 

We've hosed them down with pepper spray multiple times to get them stop and it didn't even faze them. We just end up having a house full of pepper spray and dogs that need several baths.

Have you tried shooting them?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

On 4/3/2024 at 9:24 AM, Helobious said:

CSB: I was 13 or 14 riding my bike, and see my hot neighbor and her parents driving down the street in my direction. When they’re like 20 feet away from me some Rottweiler mutt comes charging out from a house barking at me. I knew not to try and run so I stop my bike and just stand there. Dog runs up close, but then retreats. Girl’s parents stopped and asked if I was ok. I said yeah (hiding that I was petrified). Never felt like a bigger badass and couldn’t believe that I had an audience for it. In some alternate reality I like to think that event ended with her blowing me after. 

TLDR: delivery driver sounds like a pussy

And that was the day lil’ helobious earned his Cuban link chain, never to be without again…

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

On 4/7/2024 at 2:48 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm stuck on Angie Harmon has a battery Ring doorbell for her security.

Well, that an we are 3 pages in and I've not seen a single Pic of Angie.

This place is really going to the dogs.angie-harmon-dog-oliver-040524-1-72383585f8c54f2991ddbc03e6f2533d.webp.0315a3c0f0b5ee5c6db1be65cb91f210.webp

On 4/5/2024 at 11:06 AM, huge said:

No one needs to have an interaction with a driver anymore do they?  Certainly not when ordering with an app...

As a former pizza delivery driver, I have to say that the "no contact" option has really taken the character out of delivery services. You get a really good look at the underbelly of society when you deliver food to people's houses. Especially, in the old days when it was common for people to ask you to drop it off inside their home.