UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

Posted (edited)

@blacklab can you restore all those posts and comments from when the event was happening? 

Or did you just erase that context and discussion because you didn't like how much your buddies said they liked "cracking heads"?

Edit: credit where it's due, thank you for restoring the posts. Sorry for the extreme emotion, but I thought you had memory holed the entire contemporaneous discussion and I was quite irate. 

Edited by Captainant

32 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

So every student was spewing anti Jewish hate speech? You have proof of that? You think everyone there is antisemitic? 

All hate speech is wrong. full stop. 

I support free speech. I support peaceful protest. I don’t always agree with their cause but I support their rights. It’s those that are only for “their speech” being protected and skulls getting cracked that piss me off

Never insinuated “everyone there is antisemitic” but nice strawman. 

I believe in free speech, full stop. I don’t believe in the right to break laws in the name of “protest.”  I do believe the Jewish students on campus should be free from hate speech and Hamas apologists on their way to class. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I don’t believe in the right to break laws in the name of “protest.”

That was not happening here? Please support your assertion that it was. 

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I do believe the Jewish students on campus should be free from hate speech and Hamas apologists on their way to class. 

Same thing as above. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Not enough cracking. Hopefully common sense can be cracked into them but seeing these morons grow up and jerk each other off the cloakroom is the next step   I. Sure Blacklab will come come out of the cloakroom and ban me because my opinion is different so I’ll let you guys beat each other off over free Palestine 

Deleted. 

Edited by Dahobbs

54 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If shouting anti-Jewish hate speech, should the University not intervene on University grounds?  If praising the Hamas terrorist group etc?  Is that fair to Jewish students?  Would it be permitted for alternative races/groups if the Jewish population wasn’t the target?

What evidence is there that this was happening? And, even if it were, how does that justify physical violence against unarmed students? We protect the right of free speech, even distasteful speech. Folks were allowed to march and chant "the Jews will not replace us".  Surely, whatever was happening at this protest was far less distasteful.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, blacklab said:

obviously my moderation is worse crime against humanity than the holocaust.

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to get off a plane and have a dozen reported posts from both sides complaining about the other putting CR in DT?

YOU WERE ON A PLANE??!!?! FROM WHERE?!? ISRAEL???!!!????

FUCKING NAZI 🤬

• Haha 5

What evidence is there that this was happening? And, even if it were, how does that justify physical violence against unarmed students? We protect the right of free speech, even distasteful speech. Folks were allowed to march and chant "the Jews will not replace us".  Surely, whatever was happening at this protest was far less distasteful.

Well, but see…those were very fine people. I’m sure you see the distinction.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, but see…those were very fine people. I’m sure you see the distinction.

Very fine people that I'm quite sure if we go look at some old posts, we will see folks like @ChickenSandwich and @Sgt Hulk defend their right to speak and complaining about liberal tyrants censoring them. After all, it isn't anti-Semitism that either of them have an issue with. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Not enough cracking. Hopefully common sense can be cracked into them but seeing these morons grow up and jerk each other off the cloakroom is the next step   I. Sure Blacklab will come come out of the cloakroom and ban me because my opinion is different so I’ll let you guys beat each other off over free Palestine 

yawn.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, blacklab said:

obviously my moderation is worse crime against humanity than the holocaust.

I mean it was a bad choice. I get that you were probably annoyed but it wasn't the right move is all. Thanks for restoring everything.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

Abbott's DPS: "Uvalde shooter has an AR-15, everybody hang back!  Even if he's murdering kids beyond all recogniation!" 

Also Abbott's DPS:  "That guy with press credentials has a video camera which all press members have.  Let's do a direct head-on attack and get him!"  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Carlos hit an officer. 

Accidentally bumping into someone in a crowded and chaotic situation, especially by a member of the press covering a major story, is not a crime. This photog will never be formally charged with a crime and in the meantime there are going to be a whole lot of journalists in this state pissed off at DPS. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You can see him in the video bump an officer in the back with his camera, but it's by no means an attack or even "hitting" someone in the way the connotes intention. Those cops were looking for the thinnest veneer of justification to kick some ass and slap some cuffs on someone

Hope that officer makes it home to his family after that vicious bump 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hope that officer makes it home to his family after that vicious bump 

It certainly looks like all the cops left to have dinner or something, allowing all those dangerous and disruptive students back on the South Lawn until at least sunset.

I mean, look at the chaotic and yet still polite applause!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This state is full of and run by such soft fucking wannabee authoritarian snowflakes.

Should go to a more liberal place where this doesnt happen...meanwhile at USC

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/tensions-rise-at-usc-as-pro-palestine-protesters-clash-with-police/3396426/

According to LAPD, about 40 arrests were made as of 6:50 p.m

Edited by rpspeed

Just now, The Ace of Aces said:

Fuck the state authorities who sent in the cops. Cowards. 

Hartzells email that got sent out seems to be him claiming credit for calling in the head crackers

Dear UT community,
This has been a challenging day for many. We have witnessed much activity we normally do not experience on our campus, and there is understandably a lot of emotion surrounding these events.

Today, our University held firm, enforcing our rules while protecting the Constitutional right to free speech. Peaceful protests within our rules are acceptable. Breaking our rules and policies and disrupting others’ ability to learn are not allowed. The group that led this protest stated it was going to violate Institutional Rules. Our rules matter, and they will be enforced. Our University will not be occupied.

The protesters tried to deliver on their stated intent to occupy campus. People not affiliated with UT joined them, and many ignored University officials’ continual pleas for restraint and to immediately disperse. The University did as we said we would do in the face of prohibited actions. We were prepared, with the necessary support to maintain campus operations and ensure the safety, well-being and learning environment for our more than 50,000 students.

We are grateful for the countless staff members and state and University law enforcement officers, as well as support personnel who exercised extraordinary restraint in the face of a difficult situation that is playing out at universities across the country. There is a way to exercise freedom of speech and civil discourse, and our Office of the Dean of Students has continued to offer ways to ensure protests can happen within the rules. The University of Texas will continue to take necessary steps so that all our University functions proceed without interruption.

Sincerely yours,

Jay Hartzell
President

11 minutes ago, rpspeed said:

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/tensions-rise-at-usc-as-pro-palestine-protesters-clash-with-police/3396426/

They were arresting people that were throwing things at officers. That’s far different than what was happening at UT.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Hartzells email that got sent out seems to be him claiming credit for calling in the head crackers

Dear UT community,
This has been a challenging day for many. We have witnessed much activity we normally do not experience on our campus, and there is understandably a lot of emotion surrounding these events.

Today, our University held firm, enforcing our rules while protecting the Constitutional right to free speech. Peaceful protests within our rules are acceptable. Breaking our rules and policies and disrupting others’ ability to learn are not allowed. The group that led this protest stated it was going to violate Institutional Rules. Our rules matter, and they will be enforced. Our University will not be occupied.

The protesters tried to deliver on their stated intent to occupy campus. People not affiliated with UT joined them, and many ignored University officials’ continual pleas for restraint and to immediately disperse. The University did as we said we would do in the face of prohibited actions. We were prepared, with the necessary support to maintain campus operations and ensure the safety, well-being and learning environment for our more than 50,000 students.

We are grateful for the countless staff members and state and University law enforcement officers, as well as support personnel who exercised extraordinary restraint in the face of a difficult situation that is playing out at universities across the country. There is a way to exercise freedom of speech and civil discourse, and our Office of the Dean of Students has continued to offer ways to ensure protests can happen within the rules. The University of Texas will continue to take necessary steps so that all our University functions proceed without interruption.

Sincerely yours,

Jay Hartzell
President

Well fuck him too then. 

Let’s hope cops show up with the same vigor at the next Texas school shooting. 

I’m not counting on it. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Never insinuated “everyone there is antisemitic” but nice strawman. 

I believe in free speech, full stop. I don’t believe in the right to break laws in the name of “protest.”  I do believe the Jewish students on campus should be free from hate speech and Hamas apologists on their way to class. 

You provided no proof of the antisemitism. Your statement was vague and sounded like an accusation for all protesters there hating Jews. 

/r/UTAustin has more first hand accounts of what happened:

Here are the facts:

• Protests of nearly equal or even larger size have occurred with a small UTPD presence and resulted in 0 arrests or disruptions (such as one on Nov. 9)
  • State Troopers showed up at 11:40 in riot gear when the protests hadn’t even began, so they couldn’t have been responding to violence.
  • State Troopers let people march for an hour on speedway and randomly declared the march illegal at 12:40 for blocking a roadway. They ordered people to disperse but also blocked people from leaving.
  • When people then moved to south mall to not block speedway, they then declared all of south mall illegal to be on. They pushed the crowd onto sidewalks and created a danger of students being trampled
  • Students got an email from UT Austin that declared anyone in the south mall area to be a rioter at 5:18pm
  • After fencing the normally publicly available south mall off, police jumped over their own fences to arrest random people not on the mall, but on the sidewalks. They arrested compliant students, a Fox News journalist, an elderly protestor, and shoved around many professors.
  • Troopers then declared the entire sidewalk off limits, and pushed the students from the sidewalk onto a street, blocking it off with a line of bike cops and horse police.
  • For the first time in the day people students were actually obstructed, but not by protestors: UT staff and cops banned anyone from south mall, it’s sidewalks, and blocked a street off next to it with bike cops. If they tried to get to class using any of these routes, a cop (not a protestor) might slam them.
  • The state troopers and APD randomly left around 7pm. (I have no idea why they would turn their backs on “violent rioters” without being attacked, calmly walk away, and let the "violent rioters" go back to a campus)
  • Protestors returned to the south mall after 7pm. They did the same thing they would’ve done if the police never showed up: sat on the mall chanting while people freely walked by.

Why did all of this happen? This was an unconditional political stunt by Greg Abbott. He sent the troopers in advance to disrupt any pro-Palestine events on campus, even if legal & peaceful.

They didn’t just wait until violence occurred before sending riot police. Because they knew violence likely wouldn’t break out and therefore they wouldn’t have a reason to arrive.

They didn’t simply order police to arrest violent individuals, because there wouldn’t be any, and they wouldn’t be able to disrupt the event. This is why they declared an entire area illegal.

This was a pre-planned attempt by UT Officials and Abbott to silence people peacefully protesting. Abbott said it himself on Twitter; he believed UT students belong behind metal bars not because they hurt anyone, but he dislikes what they think. Abbott did this to score points with his party and donors.

Shame on UT officials for going along with this anti-constitutional political stunt and getting students heads slammed on concrete, people’s futures jeopardized, and professors shoved around by cops so Abbott could get some favorable headlines.

The detailed timeline of events is important, and key to disarming the trespass allegations by the fascists that brutalized my university today 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rpspeed said:

Swing Miss GIF by MOODMAN

Maybe read your link before you post it next time.

13 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

You provided no proof of the antisemitism. Your statement was vague and sounded like an accusation for all protesters there hating Jews. 

There was zero verbal or physical aggression toward our Jewish students among the several videos I watched today. Unfortunately, some posters are too easily swayed by national media and too lazy to look shit up themselves.

In the background of some of these photos, you can see both Israeli and Palestinian flags held aloft by students standing side-by-side.

From here, you can watch several minutes of video taken by the Fox7 cameraman, who would be arrested later, standing among students holding or wrapped in Israeli flags. None of them are being harassed. You can also listen to the chanting of protestors, and nothing they say is derogatory toward Jews or Israel.

And look at these two cute Israel supporters surrounded by protestors. They look absolutely terrified!

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Those cops were looking for the thinnest veneer of justification to kick some ass and slap some cuffs on someone

But you repeat yourself.

Bernard

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

There was zero verbal or physical aggression toward our Jewish students among the several videos I watched today. Unfortunately, some posters are too easily swayed by national media and too lazy to look shit up themselves.

In the background of some of these photos, you can see both Israeli and Palestinian flags held aloft by students standing side-by-side.

From here, you can watch several minutes of video taken by the Fox7 cameraman, who would be arrested later, standing among students holding or wrapped in Israeli flags. None of them are being harassed. You can also listen to the chanting of protestors, and nothing they say is derogatory toward Jews or Israel.

And look at these two cute Israel supporters surrounded by protestors. They look absolutely terrified!

This is fucking insane