2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

so us playing in the national championship game in 2010 got you confused and thinking it took place in the 2008 regular season?
That and the fact they're doing a show about a season we didn't play for it..

especially since the very next season we did.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

siap

Bobby Burton: Tuesday

I was in Happy Valley for the game the last time the Horns visited Penn State. I was a student at Texas and it was 1990, when the Horns started their Shock The World campaign.

Uh, it was Shock the Nation, needle dick.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 2

It’s been great to watch Boyd grow up and develop.  Every recruiting guy said this dude has NFL atheleticism if he can stay focused and mature.  I hope he kills it this season and goes day 1.  It’ll be a great example for the younger DBs to see a guy stay all 4 years and put themselves in a situation where they cash out big on draft day.  

Just now, victory88 said:

It’s been great to watch Boyd grow up and develop.  Every recruiting guy said this dude has NFL atheleticism if he can stay focused and mature.  I hope he kills it this season and goes day 1.  It’ll be a great example for the younger DBs to see a guy stay all 4 years and put themselves in a situation where they cash out big on draft day.  

he’ll need to improve quite a bit to be a first round pick.  

32 minutes ago, futureman said:

he’ll need to improve quite a bit to be a first round pick.  

I'm not disagreeing here, but I'm curious who you or anyone else thinks are the top DBs in CFB this season? Greedy Williams at LSU is an easy pick. After that, maybe the Miami safety. Maybe. And then it's anyone's potluck. I definitely could see Boyd emerging as a guy taken in the middle rounds with a strong season and combine. I don't think I thought that would happen watching him even as a sophomore. If only he wasn't prone to boneheadery.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not disagreeing here, but I'm curious who you or anyone else thinks are the top DBs in CFB this season? Greedy Williams at LSU is an easy pick. After that, maybe the Miami safety. Maybe. And then it's anyone's potluck. I definitely could see Boyd emerging as a guy taken in the middle rounds with a strong season and combine. I don't think I thought that would happen watching him even as a sophomore. If only he wasn't prone to boneheadery.

memebetter.com-20180821161649.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

DeAndre Baker from Georgia?

An NFL QB throwing to two NFL WR’s and an NFL quality Third down back made the 2008 offense go, but even then defenses started catching up to the offense by the end of the year, because God knows the OC wasn’t about to innovate once he stumbled onto his rich vein of offense. That continued into 2009 where we had the QB and one NFL WR, and the exact same offense to a fare thee well. Of course it dropped off. A well tuned short  passing machine was reduced to the roommate connection, hero ball and minor contributions by Goodwin and friends. 

I know. Goodwin is an NFL WR. But he was a frosh then and Quan was an older than dirt senior and Ogbannaya  was also in his final year in 2008. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Pre-season AP All-American team came out today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/08/21/love-oliver-grier-lead-ap-preseason-all-america-team/37553267/

Washington has a CB and a Safety across 1st and 2nd teams.

Edited by Hozz
link

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

An NFL QB throwing to two NFL WR’s and an NFL quality Third down back made the 2008 offense go, but even then defenses started catching up to the offense by the end of the year, because God knows the OC wasn’t about to innovate once he stumbled onto his rich vein of offense. That continued into 2009 where we had the QB and one NFL WR, and the exact same offense to a fare thee well. Of course it dropped off. A well tuned short  passing machine was reduced to the roommate connection, hero ball and minor contributions by Goodwin and friends. 

I know. Goodwin is an NFL WR. But he was a frosh then and Quan was an older than dirt senior and Ogbannaya  was also in his final year in 2008. 

and just imagine if Charles and Finley came back for their senior year?? On second thought, don't imagine that, it'll just upset you. 

14 minutes ago, BERT said:

and just imagine if Charles and Finley came back for their senior year?? On second thought, don't imagine that, it'll just upset you. 

We probably never adjust our offense, and stumble our way to another ho-hum 10 win season.

20 minutes ago, BERT said:

Nah. It was an incredibly enjoyable season, but I am about tired of seeing the 2008 RRS on LHN. We did play some other fine games that year. 

2 minutes ago, Fico said:

We probably never adjust our offense, and stumble our way to another ho-hum 10 win season.

Troof

On 8/16/2018 at 3:15 PM, jinx said:

I've never been a fan of GDGD, but he did have some pretty good performances.  Ivan Williams day at Nebraska in 2002 (which I saw in person) was pretty awesome.  There were a few others. 

I am growing soft in my old age.

Nebraska was 6-7 that year. Right on Greg’s wheelhouse.  

4 hours ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
Colt didn't play in the CCG nor in Pasadena that season. Why are multiple people remembering season years wrong around here? Am I taking crazy pills?

Yeah, I'm getting senile already..gotta remember the NCG actually takes place after the first of the year.

You are not very bright. 

7 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

I believe you are thinking about the 2007 season.  The 2008 season ended with the NC loss.

That uneasy feeling you get when you realize you didn't know what in the fuck you were talking about. Yeah, I hate that feeling.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

My general recollection was also that the 2008 team was way better than 2009 despite not getting to the championship game - because our offense was great in 2008 and back to frustrating Greg Davis nonsense in 2009 even though we probably should have been as good or better with so many guys returning.  However, when you look at the overall stats I think you could argue the 2009 team as a whole really was as good or better than 2008 thanks to the absurdly good defense.  

In 2008, we averaged 6.5 yards per play on offense and gave up 5.3 yards per play on defense.   In 2009, we gained 5.6 yards per play on offense and allowed only 3.8 yards per play on defense.  

These aren’t adjusted stats, and in 2008 the Big 12 was full of great offenses to skew things a bit, but that’s still a big difference on defense, and actually a higher delta in 2009.  In addition, we hardly forced any turnovers in 2008 while our 2009 defense was historically good at forcing turnovers and scoring on defense. 

I believe we lost a WR to transfer or grades before the 09 season. I could be misremembering,  but I seem to remember he was a slot guy that was a big loss. Anyone remember that ?

6 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I believe we lost a WR to transfer or grades before the 09 season. I could be misremembering,  but I seem to remember he was a slot guy that was a big loss. Anyone remember that ?

Collins was lost to the state pen if I remember correctly. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

32 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Ogbonnaya too.

csb: I met Ray Lewis at an airport a while back and got to talk to him for a bit. Asked him why he retired when it looked like he had at least a couple more good years in him..  I was just being nice. He says Chris Ogbonnaya laid a hit on him that convinced him it was just about time to call it quits.  I was wearing my Texas hat. 

• Like 9

Boyd was a completely different player the second half of last season. He was fantastic. Teams stopped testing him altogether. If he maintains that trajectory, I expect him to do well in the draft. His size and athleticism are rare. He’s extremely physical, and he seems to have developed the attitude you love in a corner. I’m excited to watch him this year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

csb: I met Ray Lewis at an airport a while back and got to talk to him for a bit. Asked him why he retired when it looked like he had at least a couple more good years in him..  I was just being nice. He says Chris Ogbonnaya laid a hit on him that convinced him it was just about time to call it quits.  I was wearing my Texas hat. 

You got lucky he didn't get some friends to kill you.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Boyd was a completely different player the second half of last season. He was fantastic. Teams stopped testing him altogether. If he maintains that trajectory, I expect him to do well in the draft. His size and athleticism are rare. He’s extremely physical, and he seems to have developed the attitude you love in a corner. I’m excited to watch him this year. 

I think it was right after they installed some sort of camera on his helmet so they could address what he was seeing or not seeing (iirc, there was an article about that).Then suddenly things started to click for him. If so, what a tremendous, forward-thinking coaching job by these guys.