True Detective Season 3

Patrick Bateman

I think Hoyt showing up at Wayne's house the next morning was simply one of those "I know everything that goes on at all times in this town". They knew Wayne and Roland had interviewed Harris James, so if/when he goes missing, they correctly assume that Wayne and Roland had something to do with it. Further evidence was Hoyt making sure Wayne knew the names of his wife and kids and that he knows where they are and what they do at all times.

The one thing that's bothering me is trying to figure out wtf the daughter and her mysterious rift with her dad has to do with anything. They seem to dedicate a lot of screen time to plot points that don't go anywhere. 

Edited by irishtexan

6 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I think Hoyt showing up at Wayne's house the next morning was simply one of those "I know everything that goes on at all times in this town". They knew Wayne and Roland had interviewed Harris James, so if/when he goes missing, they correctly assume that Wayne and Roland had something to do with it. Further evidence was Hoyt making sure Wayne knew the names of his wife and kids and that he knows where they are and what they do at all times.

The one thing that's bothering me is trying to figure out wtf the daughter and her mysterious rift with her dad has to do with anything. They seem to dedicate a lot of screen time to plot points that don't go anywhere. 

he specifically knew about the barn.

5 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

If Roland is dirty, I can't see Harris letting him beat him to death(or even just beat him badly) without saying a single thing.

I don't think Harris would necessarily know that Roland was dirty.  That could be a direct line between Roland and Hoyt.

I haven't read all the theories on this thread, and this is way out there, but do we have evidence of 2015 Roland communicating with anyone other than old Wayne or his son?  I can't remember.  Any chance Roland is dead in 2015 and he's just another person from Wayne's past who shows up and weaves between reality and his imagination? 

When Wayne and Roland first pulled over Harris, there was a camera angle that looked like it could be someone watching from the trees on the hill. Maybe they just got unlucky and someone watched the entire thing go down. Or maybe it was just a weird camera angle that doesn’t mean anything at all.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:13 PM, Mach 1 said:

I'll spoiler my assumption

Hide contents

There must be a mutual agreement between Hoyt and Hays (and I assume West) to keep the murder quiet in exchange for keeping the missing girl quiet.   West is cognizant of that in the present time and keeps cautioning Hays and his son, but Hays doesn't remember that part of the past so feels compelled to reinvestigate.

This is sort of been the way I'm leaning..... He doesn't remember the resolution in 90' -- either way -- finding out the whole story or agreeing to drop it for covering up of the murder of Harris.

4 hours ago, Horn21 said:

I don't think Harris would necessarily know that Roland was dirty.  That could be a direct line between Roland and Hoyt.

I haven't read all the theories on this thread, and this is way out there, but do we have evidence of 2015 Roland communicating with anyone other than old Wayne or his son?  I can't remember.  Any chance Roland is dead in 2015 and he's just another person from Wayne's past who shows up and weaves between reality and his imagination? 

That’s a bit of a stretch to think the interaction between Wayne’s son and Roland was fictional. 

On 1/28/2019 at 4:25 PM, irishtexan said:

x2. Although, as alluded to earlier in this thread, I think those ghosts represented all the people he's killed in his past. 

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Probably already covered but I guess Hayes hallucination previosly was of all the people he's killed in his life.  Numerous Viet Cong, the Trash Man and Harris James.

True_Detective_season_3_Wayne_dream_two_

Called that shit, although it couldn't have been more on the nose. He's literally being haunted by the ghosts of his past. 

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

That’s a bit of a stretch to think the interaction between Wayne’s son and Roland was fictional. 

For sure.  I guess I'm just expecting a twist regarding Wayne's 2015 imagination/deterioration as it relates to someone in his life.  Roland and his son are the two major characters in 2015, so just wondering if it could be a twist.  His son seems to be on the periphery in 2015..like he only really engages with Wayne, but it'd be an even bigger stretch to have him be a part of Wayne's imagination in 2015.

We literally just saw Roland interviewing the black woman who was a maid for the Hoyt family and gave them all the information about their daughter and her history this last episode.

We literally just saw Roland interviewing the black woman who was a maid for the Hoyt family and gave them all the information about their daughter and her history this last episode.

Yeah, admittedly I went into conspiracy mode as soon as the episode ended and blanked on some recent scenes. Thought about deleting my post, but decided to let my lack of awareness stand. I might go back and watch because I honestly can’t remember how much of the interview was Roland and how much was Wayne.

Good series--can't weigh in because there's support for several theories that then almost get contradicted by pieces within the same episode.  For a minute, I thought the dark car was death and was courting Purple since it was only seemingly visible to him but then Roland saw it.  I really like how they took an actor like Stephen Dorff who I never considered anything more than a B or C rate actor and elevated his game.  

Yeah, admittedly I went into conspiracy mode as soon as the episode ended and blanked on some recent scenes. Thought about deleting my post, but decided to let my lack of awareness stand. I might go back and watch because I honestly can’t remember how much of the interview was Roland and how much was Wayne.

lol It was all Roland because Wayne had a dementia episode during it.

Yeah ya missed a bit.

My theory (subject and likely to change)

- Hoyt daughter played with Julie and Will in woods often.  Mr. June drove her to do so   

- Will dies (accidentally?) and Mr. June and Hoyt daughter take Julie in panic  

- Hoyt daughter (with June help) raises Julie in basement of compound. She lives in pink room.  June gets to know her then and it’s why he seemed more concerned and potentially benevolent in book reading scene   

- Somehow Lucy finds out, is paid off.  She had told cousin about it.  Cousin tried at some point to shake down June in bar   

- Julie runs away.  

- Hoyt is a bad guy.  He has people killed and stuff.  But the sex/pedophile angle ends up a red herring. 

Probably all wrong. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

We have enjoyed it so far.  Will say they have done a kick-ass job of keeping everyone guessing about how this will wrap up.

Only thing to add is that I think the acting is really good. Also the story line is pretty straight forward unlike season 2 which I still have no idea what I watched 

Gosh darn. Too predictable. Probably what the masses wanted. Closure. 

Pizzolatto keeps hinting at a great story, but he can't get over the hump. Enough with the red herrings. Write a show about a genuine conspiracy. I get it's a character driven show, but come on, let's see some big wigs go down. 

The last scene was great with Hays and Amelia was perfect. Very understated. 

Ali is the best actor that Pizzolatto has ever worked with, and this is the best he can do? 

I love the Minister of Culture, but Ali could be one of greatest ever when he's done. 

What I'm saying is, if this is the best Pizzolatto can do, with Ali, the show can't and won't get better. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

37 minutes ago, naija said:

was apparent this was going to be a disappointment about 4 episodes in.

Im glad my body was ready for the letdown.  Just great acting wasted smh   

Lame story that I never really cared about to get dragged out 40 something years.  Were we really supposed to care about Julie that much?  Nothing better happened to these guy’s careers over this span that they sulked over it?

One eyed man basically tells the entire mystery in 3 mins and spirit of wife tells Hayes about Julie being still alive (all 40yrs later). Jeezus, Worst Detectives.  

What a shitty couple they were also...hated seeing scenes between them. 

Only person I feel bad for is Mr. Purcell.  

I think I prefer Season 2 over this one as far as content. Yea I said it  

12 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

I liked the overall season. Maybe had the editing been tighter at the end this last episode would have been great. Didn't understand the last 15 minutes or why it was needed. Especially the last scene. Same thing happened, IMO, with season 1. Just lost steam. 

Just the last 15 minutes? 

On 2/21/2019 at 1:35 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

- Hoyt daughter played with Julie and Will in woods often.  Mr. June drove her to do so   

- Hoyt daughter (with June help) raises Julie in basement of compound. She lives in pink room.  June gets to know her then and it’s why he seemed more concerned and potentially benevolent in book reading scene   

- Somehow Lucy finds out, is paid off.  She had told cousin about it.  Cousin tried at some point to shake down June in bar   

- Julie runs away.  

- Hoyt is a bad guy.  He has people killed and stuff.  But the sex/pedophile angle ends up a red herring. 

Probably all wrong. 

Four out of six bullets nailed.  What a waste of Michael Rooker.  Otherwise enjoyed the episode. 

I liked the coda after the meeting with June and the visit to the convent.  One of the key questions is where was Julie in 2015.   They answered it.  Those who want to tie this to the yellow king are watching a different show.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Four out of six bullets nailed.  What a waste of Michael Rooker.  Otherwise enjoyed the episode. 

I liked the coda after the meeting with June and the visit to the convent.  One of the key questions is where was Julie in 2015.   They answered it.  Those who want to tie this to the yellow king are watching a different show.  

What two do you think you missed on? I see batting a thousand, but booze and a general annoyance with the show could be clouding my memory. 

On 2/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, A-Tex Devil said:

- Julie runs away.  

Probably all wrong. 

Probably mostly right.  Well done.

Been saying it this entire thread but this show kind of sucked.  Not much of a story and what little story there was could have been done in 3-4 episodes or less.  This went on for eight hours.  Needed a tighter script and better editing along with a better story, quite frankly.

Just because something is dark and brooding doesn't mean it's good.

• Like 2

I liked it. But I’m actually glad there wasn’t some grand conspiracy like the documentary filmmaker thought. I don’t like the thought of a child sex ring.

I wonder though if the show would have been more powerful just told linerarly. I don’t think that Wayne and Amelia’s relationship would have been such a beating if you just saw it unfold naturally. 

It was entertaining enough, and well acted. At this point, we know the formula for the show and part of that is it peaks early and goes downhill when the core storyline doesn't pay off: ridiculous climax (S1), incomprehensible (S2) and now boring/blah (S3). I hope HBO doesn't order another season, because I'll watch but don't trust it.

11 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

What two do you think you missed on? I see batting a thousand, but booze and a general annoyance with the show could be clouding my memory. 

- So it is unclear to me if Hoyt is truly bad.  He threatened Wayne more with exposure for the murder than anything else.  Unanswered question as to whether Harris James killed the dad with or without Hoyt knowledge. 

- I am not sure how the cousin plays into it, frankly.  I imagine Mr. June went to see him to see if he knew where Julie went.

I liked the season.  In the minority, I guess.

• Like 1