The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Why 48 nays on a simple DOJ nominee? Always remember Republican calls for Bipartisanship are empty charades 

Well, she's clearly unqualified.  You can tell.  By, umm, things.  You know.  Reasons.  Well, reason.  You know.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

Does this go here?

Florida makes it illegal for Facebook and Twitter to ban politicians

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis yesterday signed a bill into law to stop what he called the "censorship" of conservatives on social-media websites such as Twitter and Facebook. The law is likely to be challenged in court and has been described as blatantly unconstitutional by legal experts and advocacy groups across the political spectrum.

But Florida's governor and legislature were undeterred by the possibility that courts will strike down the law as violating the First Amendment. The law gives Floridians the right to sue Big Tech companies over content-moderation decisions and prohibits the companies from "deplatforming" political candidates and journalistic enterprises. It is scheduled to take effect on July 1.

"This session, we took action to ensure that 'We the People'—real Floridians across the Sunshine State—are guaranteed protection against the Silicon Valley elites," DeSantis, who has a Harvard University law degree, said in a press release. "Many in our state have experienced censorship and other tyrannical behavior firsthand in Cuba and Venezuela. If Big Tech censors enforce rules inconsistently, to discriminate in favor of the dominant Silicon Valley ideology, they will now be held accountable." Lt. Gov. Jeanette Nuñez said the law is important because many Floridians "know the dangers of being silenced or have been silenced themselves under communist rule."

The new law (full text) carves out an exception for tech companies that happen to also own theme parks. That would exempt both Disney and Comcast, the latter of which owns NBCUniversal including Universal Theme Parks. Specifically, the law exempts "any information service, system, Internet search engine, or access software provider operated by a company that owns and operates a theme park or entertainment complex as defined in [Florida law]." To qualify for the exemption, the company's theme park or entertainment complex must be "comprised of at least 25 contiguous acres," provide "permanent exhibitions and a variety of recreational activities," and have "a minimum of 1 million visitors annually." . . .

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/05/florida-regulates-facebook-and-twitter-compares-big-tech-to-communist-rule/

Article has a good discussion on why this law is blatantly unconstitutional as a violation of the first amendment rights. The government can't compel speech anymore than it can stifle it. In fact, it probably has less legal ability to compel speech.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Does this go here?

Florida makes it illegal for Facebook and Twitter to ban politicians

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/05/florida-regulates-facebook-and-twitter-compares-big-tech-to-communist-rule/

Article has a good discussion on why this law is blatantly unconstitutional as a violation of the first amendment rights. The government can't compel speech anymore than it can stifle it. In fact, it probably has less legal ability to compel speech.   

Is it unconstitutional?  Of course.

Is it exactly what a fascist state would do?  FUCK YES IT IS.

And so it goes.  Your government will compel you to accept the lies, hate, and calls to violence from its brownshirts.  That's the world you live in now.  Sound familiar?

• Like 1

Just unreal how much time and money the Texas and Florida leges have wasted on this circle jerk nonsense that's guaranteed to be struck down immediately. 
We need penalties for frivolous legislation. 
Is it really a waste of time and money? Their base eats that shit up and continues to reelect them. After all, that seems to be the only reason they exist.
  • Rage+1 1

https://www.axios.com/states-banks-drop-coal-warning-biden-carbon-278bb3fb-2254-41b2-9b94-f986c1c9a3d2.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=politics-fossilfuels

More than a dozen Republican state treasurers are threatening to pull assets from large financial institutions if they agree to decarbonize their lending and investment portfolios, Axios has learned.

Why it matters: The Biden administration — led by special presidential climate envoy John Kerry — has leaned on the banks to help reduce U.S. carbon emissions. That's prompted GOP lawmakers to criticize efforts to "de-bank" fossil fuel firms. The treasurers collectively control hundreds of billions worth of assets.

Fifteen of them, led by coal-heavy West Virginia, say they're prepared to use this financial muscle to push back.

The effort includes treasurers from other states with large energy industry presences such as North Dakota, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Oklahoma.

What's happening: The state officials sent a letter on Tuesday to Kerry, who's leading the administration's efforts to enlist banks in its climate policy fight.

"We intend to put banks and financial institutions on notice of our position, as we urge them not to give in to pressure from the Biden administration to refuse to lend to or invest in coal, oil and natural gas companies," the officials wrote.

In an interview with Axios, West Virginia state Treasurer Riley Moore said he was prepared to terminate contracts with banks that pull back their fossil fuel industry lending in response to administration pressure.

"Frankly, it is not fair for the people of West Virginia to allow a bank to handle our money when they're diametrically opposed to our way of life," Moore said.

Spoiler

Moore called the issue "a matter of life and death for my people."

He said coal and gas operators in his state have reported difficulties obtaining financing from banks blaming pressure from the Biden administration to try to "green" their portfolios.

"If you just cut these guys off at the knees — gas and coal in a state like West Virginia — and they can no longer conduct their business ... it is going to destroy us," Moore said. He cited the industries' heavy jobs footprint and contributions to the state's tax base.

A State Department spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Between the lines: The state officials signing the letter collectively manage more than $600 billion in assets in state treasuries, pension funds and other government accounts, according to publicly available financials and information provided by the state treasurer offices.

Those states work with large financial institutions to invest and grow those funds, to support state spending and retirement payments to former workers.

Even for sizable investment banks, such funds can be some of their largest accounts.

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Why 48 nays on a simple DOJ nominee? Always remember Republican calls for Bipartisanship are empty charades 

I wish I could find that THJone drawing of a Klansman pointing to a photo of Sumlin.  I would overuse it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The My Pillow guy becoming a main character in Seasons 4 & 5 was not a twist I saw coming.  Well done, writers.

Kind of like Frasier Crain.  Just hanging out at the end of the bar, and then one day, he's getting 20% of the script written for him each episode.  And then they spin his ass off into a totally different direction.

Maybe the various lawsuits in the coming weeks and months will be his personal version of Frasier.

• Hook 'Em 4

Damnit. After Abbott signed that abortion bill into law, someone asked, “What’s next?” and I almost responded that they’d punish women for miscarriages. (I realize that isn’t Texas, but still. I’d appear prescient if I’d put it in writing.)

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

This could be cross posted to the CRT thread

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56889861

The Lancet analysis of data on 4.6 million pregnancies in seven countries suggests the risk for black women is 43% higher than for white women. ..... Most of the research was carried out in Sweden, Finland and Denmark, some of the few countries that gather statistics, though data from the US, UK, Canada and Norway was also used.

Oklahoma AG resigning for diddling a staffer outside his 40 year marriage. Another "family values" conservative showing their hypocritical ass.

(P.S., the "Imagine That" jokes are about the states dumb branding campaign devised by Gov. Stitthead).

https://www.thelostogle.com/2021/05/26/oklahoma-attorney-general-mike-hunter-files-for-divorce/?fbclid=IwAR2hXU0UGSkrFORwLZYpMepkNQ20Ckj9L8Whq0aZ01g-PrNUUcrVS-4Vblsimage.png.18e75014b1e11821d9c55b48971ddc37.png

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Oklahoma AG resigning for diddling a staffer outside his 40 year marriage. Another "family values" conservative showing their hypocritical ass.

(P.S., the "Imagine That" jokes are about the states dumb branding campaign devised by Gov. Stitthead).

https://www.thelostogle.com/2021/05/26/oklahoma-attorney-general-mike-hunter-files-for-divorce/?fbclid=IwAR2hXU0UGSkrFORwLZYpMepkNQ20Ckj9L8Whq0aZ01g-PrNUUcrVS-4Vblsimage.png.18e75014b1e11821d9c55b48971ddc37.png

He’s a Republican. Why would he resign over that?

A name like Mike Hunter could barely be more perfect. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Is that about HB 1890? Because I think she mischaracterizes what requirements the law imposes on miscarrying women. 

Don’t get me wrong. It’s still a stupid regressive law. 

I haven't researched it, but my thinking is similar to yours as this type of legislation is not new. It's still stupid and painful. People can be extremely nosy regarding pregnant women in the best of times, and it just hurts.

I don't ask people who have no children why they don't have children, either. That is none of my business.

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I had two miscarriages before my son and one miscarriage between my son and daughter.

If I had been asked to fill out that nonsense?? I very well might have gone feral on whoever told me about it.

Absolutely disgusting.

I don’t think people realize how common miscarriages are. Biology is an amazingly imperfect process. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
Changed “incredibly” to “amazingly” because it’s totally credible.

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Doesnt Texas require women who miscarry have a funeral and bury or cremate the fetal remains?

It’s either that or they have to smoke it at 225 degrees for 4 hours until a proper smoke ring sets in. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1