The Mandalorian (Star Wars live action show)

mdmost

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I don't know how you people keep up with all this stuff.  I watched Star Wars in '77 at the movie theater and liked Grogu driving the robot and have seen a lot in between, but I have to google everydamnbody on the show to figure out how they fit into the big picture.

I'm in the same boat but I'm not invested enough to google anydamnbody. My 17 year old son kinda fills me in on some of the stuff, but after reading the posts here I'm probably missing like 90% of the nuance. I mean, I had to ask him last night when on the timeline of the three trilogies is this shit supposed to take place. Still think it is cool and the cameos throughout have been great. Leon Phelps and Skinny Pete ftw.

15 minutes ago, hornian said:

Quick question - if the atmosphere on Mandalore is blocking all comms, how was Moff Gideon able to have his little hologram meeting from his base?

I thought the meeting was on a ship and not deep in Mandalore? 

Edited by Pig Bellmont
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

He walked past a bunch of what looked like clones growing in tunes, and given his statement about aggregating the best of the clones, jedis, and mandolorians, it make sense that he would be on a base somewhere were he is building his army.

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

No, he was definitely on a planet. The walls were rock at various points. And then when the Mandalorians walked into the ambush, you realize (or you were supposed to realize) that the base was on Mandalore the whole time. 

20 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Interesting idea on the Armorer being a traitor. They didn’t show her making it back to the fleet.

19 hours ago, mdmost said:

I bet those 3 on the sail barge were the spies. I think the Armorer is going to sniff out the trap and get the ships to safety.

I think those three were the spies - the Armorer, when she was looking around at the wounded/sick who had stayed behind to fight when everybody else fled, and all of them had their helmets off, I got a vibe that she's truly reconsidering her views on being a Mandolorian (what it means to be one).  I could be reading too much into it though, but that lingering gaze seemed like one of contemplation, and she's always been the one who was the leader when it come to the "this is the way" stuff.

19 hours ago, mdmost said:

And fuck to the yes on Captain Pellaeon showing up. Man, we're slowly getting the Zahn novel players back together. They already had Rukh on Rebels. Feels like Mara Jade and Joruus C'baoth are part of Ahsoka from the trailer. Or at least an inspiration of the the two. 

Yeah, if I recall, Pellaeon was in the opening chapter of the Heir to the Empire, so crazy to see him showing up now.

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm in the same boat but I'm not invested enough to google anydamnbody. My 17 year old son kinda fills me in on some of the stuff, but after reading the posts here I'm probably missing like 90% of the nuance. I mean, I had to ask him last night when on the timeline of the three trilogies is this shit supposed to take place. Still think it is cool and the cameos throughout have been great. Leon Phelps and Skinny Pete ftw.

We’re post empire and young Luke went badass on droids at the end of S2. If you know that much you know all you need to. If you don’t know that you’re not paying attention. No one needs to Google jack shit to understand what is happening if you paid attention.  Yes, there are Easter eggs there for people who already know who Thran is or Bo, but none of that is necessary knowledge. 

4 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Great episode.

And as someone who currently has a 2 year-old, the Grogu NO NO NO YES YES YES YES thing was cracking my shit up. 

I don’t have a 2 year old and it was hilarious 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

Taika is the gift that keeps on giving

Unfortunately, now that Jon Favreau's character went out (in a badass manner), we are losing him though.

I haven't watched Swingers in years, but didn't he kill dozens of people and then it took some badass knights with swords to take him down?

edit: Wait, that's the wrong movie.  I'm probably thinking of Rudy or PCU.

Edited by atomheartbevo

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Unfortunately, now that Jon Favreau's character went out (in a badass manner), we are losing him though.

I haven't watched Swingers in years, but didn't he kill dozens of people and then it took some badass knights with swords to take him down?

edit: Wait, that's the wrong movie.  I'm probably thinking of Rudy or PCU.

You're thinking of Chef. Vizla's fight with the Pretorian Guard is actually a shot for shot recreation of the big showdown Chef Casper (Favreau's character) had with the food bloggers at his food truck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't know how you people keep up with all this stuff.  I watched Star Wars in '77 at the movie theater and liked Grogu driving the robot and have seen a lot in between, but I have to google everydamnbody on the show to figure out how they fit into the big picture.

It’s been repeated ad nauseam but Clone Wars and Rebels really are worth the watch. Use the guide to skip the filler CW episodes. If you like this show, the Mandalorian story arcs in CW fill in a lot. There’s way more Bo-Karan to be had, not to mention more Vizslas. Bonus: CW pretty much redeems the Anakin character.
  • Like 1

Just caught up with the last three episodes, and of all the criticisms I expected, “can’t believe they had a chick beat a dude” wasn’t one of them. First, they’re aliens, I imagine gender differences might work a little different, second they’re covered in technology which can even a physical disparity. What an odd worry about a cheesy space drama.

Edited by 'stache

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Just caught up with the last three episodes, and of all the criticisms I expected, “can’t believe they had a chick beat a dude” wasn’t one of them. First, they’re aliens, I imagine gender differences might work a little different, second they’re covered in technology which can even a physical disparity. What an odd worry about a cheesy space drama.

Yeah. But.... slorch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Why didn't she use the dark saber while she was going hand to hand with the imperials? That would have carved them up plus inspired the troops.

They were ambushed by an unexpected and very large presence of imperials, right? One sword wasn't going to defeat them all. Plus, she used it to cut an escape hatch. My guess is that the last episode will be an epic showdown and the dark saber will play a major role in a Mandalorian victory. Also, 100% chance Boba makes an appearance, right?

According to the informative nerd on Screen Crush beskar can defeat lightsabers and the new dark troopers were in beskar.  I'm sure more informative nerds here can tell me if the dark saber is different than your average blue lightsaber.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

According to the informative nerd on Screen Crush beskar can defeat lightsabers and the new dark troopers were in beskar.  I'm sure more informative nerds here can tell me if the dark saber is different than your average blue lightsaber.  

We've seen beskar take on the darksaber - Din used his gauntlets and arm armor to block blows from it when he defeated Moff Gideon. IIRC, it's not a more powerful blade, it's just an ancient relic made by the first mandalorian Jedi in the way way back

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

We've seen beskar take on the darksaber - Din used his gauntlets and arm armor to block blows from it when he defeated Moff Gideon. IIRC, it's not a more powerful blade, it's just an ancient relic made by the first mandalorian Jedi in the way way back

The Warlord chick in S2 used a beskar spear to fend off Ahsoka’s lightsabers. At least until Ahsoka had enough and whipped her ass. Din then used said spear against a Darksaber-wielding Gideon. 

Edited by Dutch

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Watched it tonight with my kid.

Son: I bet Paz survived that and was just faking it until they left.  No way they'd kill him off, he was awesome and he has a child.

Me:

Anthony Anderson Love GIF by ABC Network

Never too early to start teaching your kids the world is a cold, cruel bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So I was watching Season 1 Ep 8 at end when armorernis piling up Mando helmets and it watching in CJ rext of last episode it seems more and more like she is the spy…….……

……. then she wastes a 1/2 dozen stormtroopers after Mando and crew left.  So who knows.  

Fucking autocorrect.  Trying again….

So I was watching Season 1 Ep 8 at end when aromorer is  piling up Mando helmets and in watching the end  of that last episode it seems more and more like she is the spy…….……

……. then she wastes a 1/2 dozen stormtroopers after Mando and crew left.  So who knows.  

2 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Fucking autocorrect.  Trying again….

So I was watching Season 1 Ep 8 at end when aromorer is  piling up Mando helmets and in watching the end  of that last episode it seems more and more like she is the spy…….……

She is also the most obsessed with what it means to be a Mandalorian and tries to keep the beskar armor out of the hands of others not worthy of it, so returns to recover the helmets and armor and melt it down. And now Mandalore is within reach and no more running and hiding.  

For its first two seasons, The Mandalorian seemed to be the spark and the glue the franchise needed to revitalize itself — a fun, streamlined little show with an uncontroversial lead that drew general audiences in with a commitment to atmosphere, good CGI, and, of course, Baby Yoda. Soon, however, critics noticed that the show was not only thin on plot and characterization but that it increasingly relied on big, social-media-ready sequences to drive its momentum, with little connective tissue in or around such moments.

Externally, the reason for this reunification is obvious: Baby Yoda is too much of a marketing coup to go without. Internally, the reason for this reunification gets explained, sort of, not in The Mandalorian, but over three episodes of The Book of Boba Fett, another breakout series meant to capitalize on the renewed energy provided by The Mandalorian. But despite the popularity of the character Boba Fett himself, The Book of Boba Fett drew widespread criticism for being less a coherent narrative than a collection of cool Star Wars action figures with no ideas. It turns out Boba Fett himself is a terrible character to build a whole story around; while he may be popular, there’s just not that much to him, which could be why the writers ultimately turned the show’s back half into a Mandalorian installment.
That Boba Fett got his own show at all speaks to the increased emphasis on commercialization and fan service that keeps getting in the way of the franchise’s attempts to move forward. 

This is the ultimate problem Star Wars needs to solve: Will it commit to deepened characterization and worldbuilding, to making the Star Wars universe feel connected and lived-in, even for casual fans? Or will it instead continue to coast on the consumerist appeal of gimmicks like Baby Yoda?

When the Star Wars universe is Baby Yodas all the way down, then what?

https://www.vox.com/culture/23683800/mandalorian-season-three-star-wars-upcoming-movies-baby-yoda-thrawn-ahsoka

Its a big universe, I think theres room for many Star Wars visions, from Andor to Mando to Jedi. But maybe we can just forget about the Resistance and First Order

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If what they’re building with Grogu is in fact extracting blood from extremely force sensitive beings and trying to produce clones, then it would make Grogu very connected to the sequel trilogy. I dunno, I don’t see Grogu as a gimmick but rather an important character to the overarching story that just happens to be easily marketable. With that said, Boba felt incomplete and the criticisms that come with it have validity to them. 

On 4/13/2023 at 7:37 AM, Pig Bellmont said:

Isn’t that kind of what happened in Book of Boba Fett?

On 4/13/2023 at 7:52 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah. But why not? Star Wars recycles themes and storylines (two death stars, a young Jedi that saves the galaxy, etc).

Ok, how about, the Mythosaur emerges from the depths and eats Gideon and his goons. All the Mandalorians see it’s real and it unifies them. Mandalore starts to be rebuilt as Mandalorians from across the galaxy head home.

I’m with Patricio here. 

If you don’t think that the Mythosaur is getting tamed by Bo, you haven’t been paying attention:

1) She saw the mythosoaur was real and got her faith back. 

2) She took in the flying dragon babies as wards. 

3) She won the dark saber back 

4) ???

5) Profit