favorite cheeses

HOOK'EMHOOAH

For the more refined amongst the board, please share with us your favorite cheeses and/or recommendations for them.

I started getting into different cheeses about 10 years ago when I first tried delice de bourgogne from France (they are terrible at war, but fucking awesome at food). Its similar to a brie, but generally much creamier.

I've also been watching a lot of videos about making cheese on the youtubes lately. It can be a fairly involved process depending on what kind of cheese is being made. Anyway, talk about cheese.

I toured a parmesan factory in Italy. It was amazing. Brought home two 2kg blocks of 18 month and  36 month.

I eat a lot of goat cheese. It's seriously the best cheese. 

In cheese, it's quality over quantity. That's what is unique about cheese. The good shit is really good, the bad shit is really bad.

I like cheese like me - old and stinky.

Seriously, a great aged Gouda, or cheddar. Love em. Stinky blues like Stilton. Old manchego. Good Parmesan. We keep chèvre on hand all the time, although that's cleaner and fresher.

But I confess...I also like cutting a slice of American into 4 pieces and topping 4 saltines, snack with a cold beer.

I kinda like all the cheese.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Just watched these 2 videos today, have some interesting cheese basics:

Which got me in the mood, so I bought a wedge each of Napoleon and Tomme de la Riviere. And a loaf of bread.

I watched the second video you posted yesterday morning. In the afternoon I went and bought some bocconcnini marinated in olive oi, parsley, garlic and red peppers as well as a wedge of brie couronne. I haven't gotten into the brie yet, but I did try some of the bocconcnini. It's a bit bland for my liking, however that may be due to the olive oil. I did not buy bread to go with my cheeses.

I like a good aged cheddar; there's always some in my house.  I'll pick up whatever Whole Foods or Central Market are sampling.  Costco sells a brick of Coastal cave-aged mature chedder, and I'll second Kerrygold Reserve.  Both are very good.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 6:58 PM, CooterBrown said:

Point Reyes blue cheese. Super smooth. Even if you’re not fond of blues, check it out. You can get it at central market.

I had a blue/brie mix on Saturday and it was fantastic.  Basically was the texture of brie with the flavor of blue.  

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

If you're in Austin, hit up an Antonelli's cheese class.  You learn a lot, get to eat some great cheese, and drink at the same time.

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/antonellis-cheese-shop-1810085521

We are going on their dairy tour and tasting at Jester King next month.  I think it's gonna be pretty awesome.

58b0c7ae20f49.image.jpg

Say what you will, that stuff made a top notch grilled cheese sammich.
Indeed it did. My ex wife's 100 year old grandpa used to get that stuff and he wouldn't eat it so we ended up with it. Great mac and cheese.

a63854b46a5a09a3169ecf73dce3147f.jpg

This stuff is crack. Made like Velveeta used to be made with real cheese and it's $5.88 for 2lb loaf where shitty neo-velveeta is almost eight bucks.

A loaf of this, a couple of cans of rotel, a big bag of fritos, a glass bowl, a microwave and five minutes and it's fake cheese heaven.

26 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:

This stuff is crack. Made like Velveeta used to be made with real cheese and it's $5.88 for 2lb loaf where shitty neo-velveeta is almost eight bucks.

A loaf of this, a couple of cans of rotel, a big bag of fritos, a glass bowl, a microwave and five minutes and it's fake cheese heaven.

well which is it, young feller?

• 3 weeks later...
We are going on their dairy tour and tasting at Jester King next month.  I think it's gonna be pretty awesome.

Yeah so this was great. Tried probably 15 types of cheese, 3 or 4 wines and 4 beers at jester king. Quadrello di buffala is my new favorite cheese. Go to Antonelli’s and get some. And sign up for their bus tour the next time they have one. They are great people. I don’t know how many times the owners thanked us for going on the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I suck at remembering the types of cheeses I’ve had and loved, but just got back from Carmel where I spent some time in The Cheese Shop. Tried a bunch and walked out with a hunk of Smoked Gouda called Jeffs, and some Blue that was outstanding. Had a cheese board in the room before leaving for dinner... and then a late night snack