For Sale - Whataburger, update sold!

Tailgate

I see the closing date of the deal.  But when does operational control change hands?  The day before that, I predict will be the busiest day in What-a-Burger history.  And I want to be there as well.  

21 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Who am I to judge if you like cock over huge juggs.

Just because I am not attracted to midwestern flat footed women that are built like linebackers does not make me gay.

Also, this is not food.

ls.jpg

Edited by F250
  • Haha 1

So I had never heard of this runza thing and spent some time looking it up.  I was unaware of Volga German presence in Nebraska.  Also, the history of the restaurant contained this amusing nugget:

The chain attempted to expand outside of Nebraska in 1989. Executives tried to open a restaurant in the Latvian republic of the Soviet Union,[20] going as far as shipping two hundred frozen runzas to the Soviet Ministry of Agriculture as a part of its negotiations.[21]The deal fell apart after Latvia was invaded by the Soviet government in an attempt to keep it in the Union

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

So I had never heard of this runza thing and spent some time looking it up.  I was unaware of Volga German presence in Nebraska.  Also, the history of the restaurant contained this amusing nugget:

We even have the Germans from Russia museum here. Put a lot of them out west too, because they were already used to bleak landscapes. 

I froze my ass off in Lincoln during my first and only visit in 2002. The runzas made good hand warmers if you put them in your coat pockets, and also flew surprisingly far after Vasher sealed the win by picking off Jammal Lord.

• Like 5

I have to admit, for someone who spends a large part of his work week finding risk points for businesses that nobody else sees coming, a Nebraska-based fast food chain’s expansion plans being vulnerable to a Soviet invasion is quite humbling.  

This makes the LP idiots at Juicero look like Nostradamus. 

Correct. They make it possible for someone to fast track through their system to become a manager and then later down the road, advance from day to day restaurant operations to jobs tied to corporate. I bet a number of the workforce at corporate in SA once flipped. burgers before climbing the ladder.

HEB is a similar.

Back in the 80s, if you were an external hire at the corporate office and didn’t come up through the ranks, your first two months were spent “working up the ladder” in one of the local restaurants.

Had me some Whataburger last night, of course with a Dr. Pepper shake. I don't see anything changing as this is an investment firm not another burger chain buying them. The investment firm wants $$$$$ and so only thing I can see happening is that they take Whataburger national and sell out within 5-7 years. 

28 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Had me some Whataburger last night, of course with a Dr. Pepper shake. I don't see anything changing as this is an investment firm not another burger chain buying them. The investment firm wants $$$$$ and so only thing I can see happening is that they take Whataburger national and sell out within 5-7 years. 

I'm sure increasing the size and complexity of the supply chain will have no effect on product quality. and expanding the brand and opening new stores shouldn't cost anything at all so that's good. No reason at all for the new owners to look at cost cutting anywhere.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Deep dish pizza sucks. 

Or should I put that in the unpopular opinions thread. 

I think a lot of people share that opinion.

I, however, do not.  I love deep dish pizza.  Conan's Savage Forever!

• Like 4

Had my usual (#2, add bacon, cheese, grilled onions and japs) on Monday.  Came down with a nice little case of gastroenteritis yesterday.  Fucking Chicagoians. 

Also, App ordering is live in DFW and is awesome (although it may come with a side of gastroenteritis).

7 hours ago, utee94 said:

Is Via 313 considered deep dish?  Either way, that's pretty much the best pizza in the world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, utee94 said:

And some people seem to not know (or forget) that Chicago deep dish pizza was invented by a former Texas Longhorn All-SWC and All-American football player, Ike Sewell. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dutch said:

Had my usual (#2, add bacon, cheese, grilled onions and japs) on Monday.  Came down with a nice little case of gastroenteritis yesterday.  Fucking Chicagoians. 

Also, App ordering is live in DFW and is awesome (although it may come with a side of gastroenteritis).

Fuck me.  Chicagoians?  Yes.

Anyways, the group who put the money out had a pvt party tonight.  You all would (and should) kill yourselves if you tried a burger there. 

10 hours ago, Parliament said:

This thread makes me ungodly hungry.

#me2
have they opened any Whataburgers in Mid-Michigan yet?
What the hell is taking so long......

Edited by Wally Fairway
had to change my hashtag....didn't want to be accused of stealing another causes identity

11 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Coming soon will be the “dragged through the garden” ordering option.

I read that in the voice of the Jive brothers from "Airplane!"  Although he was talking about fish, not burgers. 

21 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Wat? How do you rationalize “the investment firm wants money” with the belief that they won’t bother to maximize profits? Just maintaining status quo has literally never happened with an investment group. 

33 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Wat? How do you rationalize “the investment firm wants money” with the belief that they won’t bother to maximize profits? Just maintaining status quo has literally never happened with an investment group. 

I'm sure the playbook looks something like:

1.) Borrow a shitload of money to finance expansion and load WB with debt

2.) Take WB public using the rapid revenue growth as justification for a flashy IPO

3.) Dump their stake and let the shareholders worry about the mountain if debt. Suckers.

Anybody that believes this will enhance the product we know today will be disappointed. If you live in a state that doesnt have WB, I guess this can be seen as a positive, but for Texans this can only go downhill. The owners are experts in making money, not burgers. They didnt get in this deal to become better at making burgers.

1 hour ago, DCA_HORN said:

Deep dish is fine but it's not pizza it's a casserole.

Chicago style is not just deep dish - it is like a pizza crust with 1.75" of cheese, and sauce toppings (maybe a little meat or veggies)
We typically do Geno's or Giardano's - 

Image result for chicago style pizza

but enough pizza talk
#me#2

Chicago style is not just deep dish - it is like a pizza crust with 1.75" of cheese, and sauce toppings (maybe a little meat or veggies)
We typically do Geno's or Giardano's - 

Hero-image_1210-v2.jpg
but enough pizza talk
#me#2
Whatever the fuck you want to call it, it's not pizza.