We Are in a Political Cold War

TahoeHorn

We are in a political Cold War.  We have not had such a war in over a century.  I'm not clear how it ends.

Each day I look at the work of the Senate and of the President.  This is not the crap you see on TV, hear about on the radio or read about on the Net, like Trump drawing sharpie marks on a hurricane chart.  It is the actual work - the bills signed into law, the nominations confirmed and the Presidential Actions taken.  Like who was confirmed Commissioner on Children, Youth and Families, Department of Human Services.

https://www.dailypress.senate.gov/

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/

We are in a vicious circle of having the minority behave like total dicks and have the majority respond by ignoring the minority.  The President has about 715 spots to fill which need confirmation by the Senate.  The minority can't stop any if the majority stays united, but they can dramatically slow them down.  So for the past two and a half years the Dems have been Grade A asses about virtually every nomination.  The Ambassador to SurlyLand has to wait years to get confirmed.  In fact there will never be such because it isn't one of the places the Senate will spend its time.  Even in a week like this week where the Senate is dedicating all time to nominations and maximizing the rules only 14 relatively low-level nominees get confirmed.  In a typical week it's more like four.  Voice votes for uncontroversial spots are rare.

The Senate has made the confirmation of federal judges its highest priority.  It has confirmed 146 Article III judges.  That's roughly the number of vacancies which have come open during Trump's term.  As such the 103 spots to fill are about the same number as when he entered office (although the SCOTUS spot is zero instead of one, and Circuit seats are four instead of 17).  Of Administrative spots only 480 of 732 have been confirmed.  Spots like the Ambassador to SurlyLand will never get filled because they are too far down in the queue.  It doesn't make sense to have a nominee which will just sit, waiting to get Dem action till the end of Trump's term.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-administration-appointee-tracker/database/

So how does it end?

Surely you don't think that the Dems will or even can end the filibuster?  (That would be insane and there have been enough GOP with good sense to avoid new nuclear options.  There will be enough Dems with good sense as well [to refrain from a crazy escalation].)  Or will change the rules for minority review of nominees? They have utilized the Harry Reid nuclear option, to the chagrin of Dems.  The Harry Reid nuclear option was a bad idea.  I think.  But maybe it's necessary if the minority is going to behave like a total ass.  (We have to have SOME government.)  But it would be absolutely nutty to eliminate current rights for the minority party in the Senate.

Suppose Warren is elected Prez and the Dems get control of the Senate.  I am certain the there will be some Dems that have the good sense not to turn a Cold War into a Hot War.  (No elimination of the filibuster, no court packing scheme, no elimination of a drawn out hearing process for nominees).  That means Warren would have an Administration with Trump appointees and civil servants in many, many places.  It means she'll have a bitch of a time getting new judges confirmed.  And it means that she'll get no controversial legislation.  (The last such was ObamaCare when the Dems had 60 Senators.)  And it means that even pissant legislation (e.g. a$6 B for a Wall) will be blocked by the GOP if it means making her look bad on a key campaign promise.

So:

A.  Some new peace plan?

B. Continued Cold War?

C.  A real war?

I predict a continued Cold War unless there is a President who acts in a bipartisan fashion.  Clinton was the last President who had any major bipartisan positions.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 25

Merrick Garland.

Go fuck yourself.

Edit: Just to add, I really mean it. Go fuck yourself. I hope your shitty ass backwoods county is fucking decimated by Emperor Trump's trade war. Just hope the donut shop dont close down.

Edited by Foosters
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Merrick Garland.

Go fuck yourself.

Edit: Just to add, I really mean it. Go fuck yourself. I hope your shitty ass backwoods county is fucking decimated by Emperor Trump's trade war. Just hope the donut shop dont close down.

No that’s just good politics. - Tahoe 

Is this Tahoe poster just a copycat of the original? I am suspecting it’s just a troll, posting to rile up the natives, not the original one.

In answer to the OP, not that it matters because I don’t expect to see a follow up post, if Biden is elected it’s just continual Cold War. If it is Bernie, it’s a hot war. Bernie’s wing should be expected to pack the Supreme Court and fully escalate everything in order to advance his movement. If it is Warren, I don’t know. The only thing that is certain is that there will be no peace.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The problem is the filibuster.  Theoretically, 41 Senators from America's 21 least populated states ----- representing just 11% of the population ----- can stonewall any legislation, no matter what percentage of the American public favors it. 

Did you see the latest John Oliver too? Great argument for the filibuster going bye bye. 

The existence of a filibuster isn't the problem. The problem is that the filibuster is broken and needs to be fixed.

I'm 100% fine with one guy being able to grandstand for a day and then the Senate being allowed to move forward with a simple majority as soon as he collapses.

Oliver's anti-reform argument is, "I don't like listening to Rand Paul and Ted Cruz."

Which is a stupid argument.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

GOP,  January 2009- January 2017:  *Stonewalls like a bunch of cunts*

GOP, January 2017 - Present:  WHYYYY WON'T THE MEANIE DEMOCRATS PLAY NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE??????  WHAT ABOUT DECORUM?????????????

You left out the cries of McCarthyism, which is pretty rich since it (the MoscowMitch, etc) was coming from American citizens and not their political cohorts.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
clarification

Where is @EMAWesome?

@Thetexashammer?

@Zavaia or is it 

@Zavala?

@Clearlakehorn?

@Iconoclast Texan has had himself blocked from here. Because...I don't know. 

@Iceman might be helpful 

You need some back up Tahoe.

FC and his snark are gone.

Go ask for help from the gutless wonders. 

Maybe, they are going to give an attaboy.

I scrolled right past it. I really don't give a damn what you think.

• Like 3

When I first discovered this place it had nothing to do with politics. It wasn't even sports of any kind except tangentially. I lurked a while before I said anything and then it was a thread on divorce or crazy exs. Can't remember, too long ago. 

I do recall that the CR was much more conservative in tone. The same names were here, but there wasn't much enthusiasm on the left. 

My how things have changed. Almost all the old names on the right have abandoned the field. Some didn't even make the jump. Some changed names. The sudden loss of the protection of rep must have been a shock. It was easy to lose a bunch of it and go into the red if you decided to go guns a blazing. 

Don't miss seeing Escriva avoid the question and absolutely refuse to be pinned down. It was remarkable. 

Meh. They voted for him. They made it a war long ago. If they want to come back to the field of battle that's fine. But, I don't think the left is going to be quiet or forgiving.