Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(The spoiler tags aren't showing up ... is that just for me??)

Cam Williams' Rating

Gabe Brooks

I know several people have wondered why we are lower on him than others. As far as who should get the ire, that's me. I'm the one making the call here, since he's a three-star guy in Texas.

Main reasons he's lower here than other outlets: he was 391 pounds in the spring. His testing is a concern and reflects in what we see on the field in what needs to improve. He has not cracked 5.1 in the shuttle and he's in the 8.9 range in the L drill. And while the 40 is not really much of a concern for linemen, IMO, he has not eclipsed the 6.0 threshold.

We don't have a verified arm measurement, but we do know the wingspan is 6-11. That's +6 relative to height. How much of that is body width? At +6, I tend to give somebody the benefit of the doubt. The basketball participation is good. Know folks like seeing him dunk in warmups, but a 6-5 18-year-old with a near-7-foot wingspan should be able to dunk in warmups, honestly.

I've talked with Mike about him at length. We think he's anywhere from 350-370 right now. He needs to drop more weight. His tape is solid but it obviously does not stand up to our highly-rated guys of similar size, such as Kiyaunta Goodwin or Tegra Tshabola. He is certainly a high-floor prospect, but his ceiling is a big question mark.

In these situations, my goal is always to follow the process/philosophy, which is trust the data. As a rankings council we are always working to improve that, and with 10 people in the room, that's a lot of cooks in the kitchen, and individuals naturally have a different perspective and personal eval process.

I think the situations where you pick and choose like "I know the data is not good, but I really like this guy" are where you get in trouble. Will there be cases where the five-year trajectory winds up proving you wrong? Of course. But my goal is to have a philosophy -- that is NFL Draft-oriented, of course -- and follow it.

Kid had commitable offers from Bedenbaugh and Cristobal but noted OL guru (checks notes) 'Gabe Brooks' doesn't like his shuttle and 3 cone.  What.  The.  Fuck.

Also that shit about 'should be able to dunk' is such bullshit.  Is Gabe under 5'10" - he seems like a little man. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m not worried about it, but I can certainly see where it’s going. They just drug their nuts across college footballs collective face, and the media are already sucking them off for what a great job they did.  I know rollercoaster blah, blah.  

Eta: just noticed I was in wrong thread. Apologies. Fuck aggy. Will take it to the fuck aggy thread. 

Yes it is about time for all the football board people to go back.

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The Johnston rumor is interesting since I believe a mod somewhere said that Malcolm Kelly would be interested in the WR job if it opened. Lets see if that happens in the next week once a Coleman decision is made and if Patterson takes a role and brings Kelly with him

Coleman gone, GP/Kelly and QJ in?  Sign me up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Kid had commitable offers from Bedenbaugh and Cristobal but noted OL guru (checks notes) 'Gabe Brooks' doesn't like his shuttle and 3 cone.  What.  The.  Fuck.

Also that shit about 'should be able to dunk' is such bullshit.  Is Gabe under 5'10" - he seems like a little man. 

But Gabe did talk to Mike about it.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(The spoiler tags aren't showing up ... is that just for me??)

Cam Williams' Rating

Gabe Brooks

I know several people have wondered why we are lower on him than others. As far as who should get the ire, that's me. I'm the one making the call here, since he's a three-star guy in Texas.

Main reasons he's lower here than other outlets: he was 391 pounds in the spring. His testing is a concern and reflects in what we see on the field in what needs to improve. He has not cracked 5.1 in the shuttle and he's in the 8.9 range in the L drill. And while the 40 is not really much of a concern for linemen, IMO, he has not eclipsed the 6.0 threshold.

We don't have a verified arm measurement, but we do know the wingspan is 6-11. That's +6 relative to height. How much of that is body width? At +6, I tend to give somebody the benefit of the doubt. The basketball participation is good. Know folks like seeing him dunk in warmups, but a 6-5 18-year-old with a near-7-foot wingspan should be able to dunk in warmups, honestly.

I've talked with Mike about him at length. We think he's anywhere from 350-370 right now. He needs to drop more weight. His tape is solid but it obviously does not stand up to our highly-rated guys of similar size, such as Kiyaunta Goodwin or Tegra Tshabola. He is certainly a high-floor prospect, but his ceiling is a big question mark.

In these situations, my goal is always to follow the process/philosophy, which is trust the data. As a rankings council we are always working to improve that, and with 10 people in the room, that's a lot of cooks in the kitchen, and individuals naturally have a different perspective and personal eval process.

I think the situations where you pick and choose like "I know the data is not good, but I really like this guy" are where you get in trouble. Will there be cases where the five-year trajectory winds up proving you wrong? Of course. But my goal is to have a philosophy -- that is NFL Draft-oriented, of course -- and follow it.

Between Williams and Agbo, Agbo definitely has the better feet and flexibility. He is also almost 100 lbs lighter at 290. Depending on what flood wants to do at RT, I would imagine Agbo gets the first look there. Unless he just wants an absolute road grader on the outside, in which case Williams is the guy. If we can get him playing at 350, I think the kid could be a monster. The difference in agility when you are 40 lbs lighter is huge. Worst case, Williams moves inside to Guard and he fills 1 1/2 gaps just by alignment. 

14 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Ehhh, I took it more as Sark trying to be clear that there was not an offer out or a deal in place already, in case it doesn't work out one side won't look like they shot the other down.

Could be. I just would have expected a response more along the lines of looking at getting better, Gary’s available, looking at all options, we will see if something makes sense. 
edit - nope. That won’t work. That will just fuel speculation about staff changes. Nevermind 

Edited by Dbeasy

Just got this ESPN update, so basically schools can’t even get in trouble, if not directly involved lol.  More wild Wild West coming.  

The NCAA board of governors on Thursday unanimously agreed to accept the final recommendations from its Constitution Committee, moving the organization another step closer to a new constitution to govern college sports.

One of the changes is clarifying language that ensures "to the greatest extent possible" that any imposed penalties do not punish programs or athletes who were not involved or implicated in the infractions -- a modification to the typically lengthy investigative process that sometimes isn't resolved until after the individuals who committed the violations have moved on.

Another change from the second draft of the constitution, which was shared Dec. 7, requires each school to make its name, image and likeness policies publicly available.

Edited by Hook1997
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Just got this ESPN update, so basically schools can’t get in trouble even if not directly involved lol.  More wild Wild West coming.  

The NCAA board of governors on Thursday unanimously agreed to accept the final recommendations from its Constitution Committee, moving the organization another step closer to a new constitution to govern college sports.

One of the changes is clarifying language that ensures "to the greatest extent possible" that any imposed penalties do not punish programs or athletes who were not involved or implicated in the infractions -- a modification to the typically lengthy investigative process that sometimes isn't resolved until after the individuals who committed the violations have moved on.

Another change from the second draft of the constitution, which was shared Dec. 7, requires each school to make its name, image and likeness policies publicly available.

Fixed for us Dark Mode users.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Just got this ESPN update, so basically schools can’t get in trouble even if not directly involved lol.  More wild Wild West coming.  

I never understood why the NCAA always penalizes the program while the coach leaves before the violations and is coaching again 2-3 years later. You want to stop the cheating, don't let notorious cheaters coach again. For instance, Bruce Pearl should have never been allowed to coach at a NCAA affiliated school again.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Holy fucking shit, you glossed right over the part where he said he wasn't sure how much credit Williams should get for his wingspan because he's fat. GABE BROOKS THINKS HIS WINGSPAN MIGHT SHRINK IF HE LOSES WEIGHT.

Williams must have the fattest fucking fingertips in history.

Um, have you not considered he's discussing calcium loss?

12 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

A lot of Agbo’s highlights are of him walking 

Agbo seems to be the lesser of the takes for me, but he is still huge and could be a very good guard. If I were stack ranking them I would say it would be something like this based purely on highlights: Banks, Neto, and Hutson seem like surefire starters or early contributors to me. 

• Banks
  • *Campbell 
  • Neto
  • Hutson
  • Williams
  • Robertson
  • Agbo

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Holy fucking shit, you glossed right over the part where he said he wasn't sure how much credit Williams should get for his wingspan because he's fat. GABE BROOKS THINKS HIS WINGSPAN MIGHT SHRINK IF HE LOSES WEIGHT.

Williams must have the fattest fucking fingertips in history.

Is that what he said? I must have glossed over that part because I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. I did catch the part where he said he was to blame then he consulted with 10 people in the room and that was the system and then he said he spoke to Mike at length.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is that what he said? I must have glossed over that part because I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. I did catch the part where he said he was to blame then he consulted with 10 people in the room and that was the system and then he said he spoke to Mike at length.

What I think he was actually trying to say is that it might be more shoulder width than arm length with Williams, but it was hilarious to me right after he was talking about Williams's weight. Also, it would be news to me that it's a bad thing to have really broad shoulders as an offensive lineman. His wingspan is his wingspan. That shit is good, Brooks trying to downplay it was stupid.

Edited by Huckleberry

34 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Cam Williams' Rating

Gabe Brooks

Meanwhile highly acclaimed OL coach and recruiting witch Mario Cristobal sees Williams as having a higher ceiling than Banks. 

You drop 40 lbs of fat and offset with 10 lbs of added muscle. Speed and agility magically increase. All of a sudden you have a nimble 6'7 340 tackle prospect with massive wingspan and hands big enough to palm a football helmet.

Definition of a high ceiling. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Agbo seems to be the lesser of the takes for me, but he is still huge and could be a very good guard. If I were stack ranking them I would say it would be something like this based purely on highlights:

• Banks
  • *Campbell 
  • Neto
  • Hudson
  • Williams
  • Robertson
  • Agbo

Banks > Greene > Campbell > Hudson > Agbo > Williams > Robertson > Neto

Neto will flame out early. Robertson will play early but won't dominate. Agbo and Hudson will be solid. Campbell, Greene and Banks will stand out.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Banks > Greene > Campbell > Hudson > Agbo > Williams > Robertson > Neto

Neto will flame out early. Robertson will play early but won't dominate. Agbo and Hudson will be solid. Campbell, Greene and Banks will stand out.

Should we just tell Neto not to come? Maybe Aranda is still interested.

Just now, Askew said:

Neto's highlights are amazing. Hope he pans out. 

Neto will be fine. Yes there are questions about people who worry he is coming to play school more than football. But he has the work ethic that he will earn his scholarship.

Heck, at the very least he will be superior to 70% of the olinemen we have trotted out the past 5 years.

What I think he was actually trying to say is that it might be more shoulder width than arm length with Williams, but it was hilarious to me right after he was talking about Williams's weight. Also, it would be news to me that it's a bad thing to have really broad shoulders as an offensive lineman. His wingspan is his wingspan. That shit is good, Brooks trying to downplay it was stupid.

It matters when you are sticking your arms out in front to prevent a rusher from getting in to your body.  The portion of your wingspan that is your shoulder width doesn't help in that situation.  But also fuck Gabe Brooks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Neto will be fine. Yes there are questions about people who worry he is coming to play school more than football. But he has the work ethic that he will earn his scholarship.

Heck, at the very least he will be superior to 70% of the olinemen we have trotted out the past 5 years.

What is Neto studying? Brooks mentioned he will study Biomed Engr.

Just now, Vertigo said:

Should we just tell Neto not to come? Maybe Aranda is still interested.

We are just guessing. I don't know the guy. But, he is supposedly a little disinterested in football and hangs out with the wrong dudes. That sounds like the recipe for flaming out at Texas. There is a reason we are looking at up to 8 guys for the line and it isn't that some guys take longer to mature. It is more like some guys will suck and some will flame out due to lack of passion and tenacity, off the field trouble, or not giving a shit about school. Those that remain have a chance to start and maybe a few will leave for the NFL as juniors.

24 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:
54 minutes ago, LonghornLurker said:

I went and researched a bit this morning. Dredging back through CTJs posts, it makes sense. People aren’t going to want to fuck with black market money when a legal alternative is available. 

Whut

Edited 23 minutes ago by lilMAC25

Sounds like someone doesn't fully understand income tax. $350k under the table all day.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

We are just guessing. I don't know the guy. But, he is supposedly a little disinterested in football and hangs out with the wrong dudes. That sounds like the recipe for flaming out at Texas. There is a reason we are looking at up to 8 guys for the line and it isn't that some guys take longer to mature. It is more like some guys will suck and some will flame out due to lack of passion and tenacity, off the field trouble, or not giving a shit about school. Those that remain have a chance to start and maybe a few will leave for the NFL as juniors.

He is not disinterested in football, he was disinterested in the whole recruiting process. And who are these wrong dudes?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

He is not disinterested in football, he was disinterested in the whole recruiting process. And who are these wrong dudes?

Yea that whole statement sounds like made up bullshit. If you’re worried about attrition or busts why not take 8 at every position (besides obvious numbers limits(which I’m highly concerned about btw))

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting