Jump to content
kevwun

Netflix Recommendations

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, team subtitles here. With the whole trend towards muted dialog and loud background music it really helps you pick up on stuff you would have otherwise missed.

This. Everything now seems to have wide fluctuations in volume and bad accents. Add in kids interrupting and I pretty much have cc on all the time. I also remember watching The Godfather the first time having no idea wtf was going on. Second time used cc, while different movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, team subtitles here. With the whole trend towards muted dialog and loud background music it really helps you pick up on stuff you would have otherwise missed.

You don't realize how much you miss until you use subtitles regularly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team subtitles too.  I want to say we started using it during Game of Thrones and now it's on 100% of the time...minus sports.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started using subtitles when my kids were born when I had to watch TV with the volume low out of fear of waking them.  Now they are always on because I can't hear anything.  It drives my kids nuts when we are watching TV together just like it drove me nuts when my parents did it.  The circle of life.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You don't realize how much you miss until you use subtitles regularly. 

Yep watched a couple more episodes last night with subtitles. Game changer. And great show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use subtitles quire a bit. But I find myself watching the words and not the action on the screen. Takes away from the experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted about it on another thread but since it's on Netflix might as well give an enthusiastic rec here for Halt and Catch Fire. Watch it if you haven't seen it before, it's excellent. I think of it as Mad Men meets Six Feet Under...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched I’m Thinking of Ending Things, I’m not sure how or why I watched the whole thing.  I know it’s Kaufman and it’s suppose to be odd and make you think but this movie was terrible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

I watched I’m Thinking of Ending Things, I’m not sure how or why I watched the whole thing.  I know it’s Kaufman and it’s suppose to be odd and make you think but this movie was terrible.  

As someone who loved the book, that was the worst movie I’ve seen this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Nice french benefit:  While watching Umbrella with subtitles, it shows the artist when a song starts.

That's a nice perk.

It's also interesting that the subtitles seem to be taken from the script and don't always take into account when an actor ad libs a word or two. Also, it'll display words that were later made inaudible in the sound mix and weren't necessarily meant to be heard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a bunch of sports documentaries in the algorithm generated recommendations, so I checked out A Kid from Coney Island, about the mercurial basketball player Stephan Marbury. I remembered his career in the nineties but had kind of tuned out the NBA in the 200s and could barely remember the Marbury meltdown that made him one of the most hated athletes in America around 2010. Anyway, there is a lot of nineties hip-hop and cultural connections, Fat Joe and Camron and DJ Clark Kent give long contributions. His early career in the parks in NYC, playing against God Shammgod and Felipe Lopez, his teammates KG and contemporaneous players like Chauncey Billups contribute. The focus is on his family for most of the documentary, and his fathers death causing his epic emotional meltdown that sent him to China. The ending is filmed in his final games over there, in the museum dedicated to him and showing the statue the team built for him. Anyway, its a good look back at a bizarre career.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 8:14 PM, Deej said:

Just finished the Snow's episode. All dusty up in here. 

Yeah....no shame.....I outright cried watching it.  It was fucking beautiful.  The whole series (Chef's Table) has a good bit of that going on, but this one was....wow.  Food, and feeding people, is so personal.  It's holy, it's sacred.  And you got to see that some of the greatest evangelists in the entire world are old women with a shovel full of coals, time, and love.  She said two things that absolutely broke me. 

When she was describing how she got through the death of her husband and son, with the people she worked with and her loving customers: “They’re holding me up, they’re walking with me.”

Then, at the end, describing the people who come to taste her magic, and see her, from Texas and all over the world: “It means a lot that we can share our love and friendship. And some of em, I’ll never see again. But I’m happy...that I made them happy.”  That's some fucking Gospel, right there.

America's treasures aren't in a vault, they aren't in the Smithsonian.  Some of our greatest treasures get up at 1:00 a.m. to shovel coals and tend to the barbecue, to give and get happiness.  It's just fucking awesome to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trza-hawk said:

I had a bunch of sports documentaries in the algorithm generated recommendations, so I checked out A Kid from Coney Island, about the mercurial basketball player Stephan Marbury. I remembered his career in the nineties but had kind of tuned out the NBA in the 200s and could barely remember the Marbury meltdown that made him one of the most hated athletes in America around 2010. Anyway, there is a lot of nineties hip-hop and cultural connections, Fat Joe and Camron and DJ Clark Kent give long contributions. His early career in the parks in NYC, playing against God Shammgod and Felipe Lopez, his teammates KG and contemporaneous players like Chauncey Billups contribute. The focus is on his family for most of the documentary, and his fathers death causing his epic emotional meltdown that sent him to China. The ending is filmed in his final games over there, in the museum dedicated to him and showing the statue the team built for him. Anyway, its a good look back at a bizarre career.

 

 

I enjoyed this one.  I'm glad that it looks like Steph has found some peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished Mindhunter.    I went from liking Ford to not and the opposite for Tench.   That scene with Tench at the end at his house was tough but not surprising.  

Shepard's take down on Ford at his retirement party was very satisfying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....no shame.....I outright cried watching it.  It was fucking beautiful.  The whole series (Chef's Table) has a good bit of that going on, but this one was....wow.  Food, and feeding people, is so personal.  It's holy, it's sacred.  And you got to see that some of the greatest evangelists in the entire world are old women with a shovel full of coals, time, and love.  She said two things that absolutely broke me. 

When she was describing how she got through the death of her husband and son, with the people she worked with and her loving customers: “They’re holding me up, they’re walking with me.”

Then, at the end, describing the people who come to taste her magic, and see her, from Texas and all over the world: “It means a lot that we can share our love and friendship. And some of em, I’ll never see again. But I’m happy...that I made them happy.”  That's some fucking Gospel, right there.

America's treasures aren't in a vault, they aren't in the Smithsonian.  Some of our greatest treasures get up at 1:00 a.m. to shovel coals and tend to the barbecue, to give and get happiness.  It's just fucking awesome to see.

Agree.  I liked the point made that she was somewhat standoffish when she first began to get famous.  After she lost her family members, she embraced the attention and it helped her get through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the first episode of the Chefs Table :BBQ and will watch the other ones later. I also watched Street Food Latin America a few weeks ago. When you watch one of these shows and its on location and every single shot looks incredible, the producers get that by spending tons of resources trying to get the perfect shots. They had to have had multiple teams of cameras and lights for the Snow's episode, they had to have spent days on location shooting nonstop and collecting everything they got then editing it down. Only a couple shots looked staged, like food staging not the usual reality program staging. Anyway, I will watch the rest of the shows later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched The Babysitter awhile ago. They just released a sequel. Both very kinda B comedic slasher horror movies. Mostly starring Samara Weaver (who is a bit of a scream queen and also in the very good Ready or Not, streaming elsewhere) although she doesn't show up a ton in the sequel. I think the 1st one got middling reviews and the second one is getting fairly bad reviews, but they're both quick and fun if you're into the... stupid, lots of blood, humorous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2020 at 10:06 PM, Patricio Swayze said:


I am biased, but I think Brazil has a pretty good track record in film and TV (more so film).

I think Central Station and City of God really brought Brazilian cinema to a wider, less Latin audience. Plenty of films before those, but those really seem to be the ones that got most anglos into Brazilian film/TV.

I think the diversity of the country helps (much like it helps in the US).

I lives in Brasil for over a year and never knew about COG and came home and that is the first movie that my girlfriend rented. Such a powerful film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched Chef's Table.  The episode about Tootsie the postmaster at Snow's is really good.  Plan on watching some more of episodes.  And dammit I want Snow's to open back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Just watched Chef's Table.  The episode about Tootsie the postmaster at Snow's is really good.  Plan on watching some more of episodes.  And dammit I want Snow's to open back up.

The last episode with the Mayan woman is pretty special. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 10:11 AM, Tylerocks said:

Team subtitles too.  I want to say we started using it during Game of Thrones and now it's on 100% of the time...minus sports.

How the hell do you understand what Lou Holtz is saying?

On 9/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, jeevsie said:

Nice french benefit:  While watching Umbrella with subtitles, it shows the artist when a song starts.

Use them with Community since I keep it down (kids sleeping), and you see the song stuff and also sound effects, and even stuff that was muttered, that you wouldn't otherwise pickup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Just watched Chef's Table.  The episode about Tootsie the postmaster at Snow's is really good.  Plan on watching some more of episodes.  And dammit I want Snow's to open back up.

JFC spellcheck it is PITMASTER, not postmaster.  Fucking surly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 9:35 PM, Neonmoon said:

Everyone go watch The Social Dilemma 

 

came here to post this.  mind fuck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, Neonmoon said:

Everyone go watch The Social Dilemma 

 

 

I'll have to check this out sometime. I just watched this Black Mirror episode called "Nosedive." Shit was creepy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, Neonmoon said:

Everyone go watch The Social Dilemma 

 

i don't typically like horror movies, but this was a quality watch.

kinda wish they went straight doc, as the "dramatization" clips seemed a little over the top and unnecessary.  i could listen to a few of those experts talk about this shit all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Errestaurants said:

ZZ TOP documentary is pretty good. Love the Frank Beard interviews and Dusty getting a job at the airport after the Texas World tour. 

The best part is all three of them calling each other up after stumbling across MTV and thinking it was some sort of documentary. 

Edited by Deej

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

came here to post this.  mind fuck 

Man. I now wish I wouldn't have watched that trailer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished Cobra Kai.  Gloriously cheesy.  Johnny Lawrence was very likable.  "I like muscle cars and martial arts.  Oh, yeah.  Iron Eagle 1 and Iron Eagle 2."  Elizabeth Shue MUST be in Season 3.  America demands it.

Also mid way through "I'm Sorry."  It's a very Seinfeldian/Curbed Your Enthusiasm type comedy.  Semi autobiographical with Andrea Savage and her profane aberrations of life.  If you like Curbed and Seinfeld, you'll like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Finished Mindhunter.    I went from liking Ford to not and the opposite for Tench.   That scene with Tench at the end at his house was tough but not surprising.  
Shepard's take down on Ford at his retirement party was very satisfying.
I'm going to be upset if they don't do a season 3 and wrap up the BTK buildup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 8:43 AM, TonyTexas said:

I use subtitles quire a bit. But I find myself watching the words and not the action on the screen. Takes away from the experience. 

It does, but with "Peaky Blinders" it's pretty essential to understanding wtf they are saying.  Again, great show so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DaysOff said:
On 9/10/2020 at 11:05 AM, Macanudo said:
Finished Mindhunter.    I went from liking Ford to not and the opposite for Tench.   That scene with Tench at the end at his house was tough but not surprising.  
Shepard's take down on Ford at his retirement party was very satisfying.

I'm going to be upset if they don't do a season 3 and wrap up the BTK buildup.

Already cancelled I believe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
Holy hell just saw this trailer, hits me in the throat. I look forward to seeing it. I was a sophomore in high school in Houston and my second period class met in our library that morning for a class project when the news was announced over the PA by our principal. I've forgotten a lot of the past, but that moment was nailed into my brain just with the shock that such a thing could happen to our invincible space program. 

I watched too but was much younger. I stayed home sick from school that day and remember watching on TV with my mom, one of the earliest memories I can still remember.

I missed the trailer and build-up for this series and happened upon it earlier today. I’ve always held a special fascination for space travel and have always enjoyed studying it. I was born a week before the first shuttle launch.

On EP 2 right now, it’s very well done. Gut-wrenching but well done nonetheless. I’m glad they made this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kingdom I know I’m probably late to the party on this but it’s like Animal Kingdom focused around a mma fighting family.  But I think the directors and actors do a great job of building the characters and telling a story and the music selection is on point.  Great show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 8:27 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Already cancelled I believe 

 

12 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Well that sucks.

Mindhunter was not cancelled. It was delayed indefinitely. He wanted to work on other shit. Basically, he'll do Season 3 when he feels like it. 

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/season-3-of-mindhunter-has-been-indefinitely-delayed-2597517#:~:text=David Fincher does plan to,series in the future though.&text=Season 3 of David Fincher's,set to follow soon after.

Quote

“David [Fincher] is focused on directing his first Netflix film Mank and on producing the second season of Love, Death and Robots,” a Netflix representative told TVLine in a statement, while confirming that the show has not been cancelled by the streaming service.

It continued: “He may revisit Mindhunter again in the future, but in the meantime felt it wasn’t fair to the actors to hold them from seeking other work while he was exploring new work of his own.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the first two episodes of "Challenger - The Final Flight" last night.  So far, a really good accounting of the astronauts we lost, paired with some NASA shenanigans that may have contributed to the tragedy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...