Wives and the Stupid Shit They Say/Do

Spur08

On 3/24/2024 at 5:07 PM, markstanco said:

eac069b9219858fca82696eb639b3e0c.jpg

Let’s put the dead battery close to the charger.

At least you don't have to spend an hour looking for the battery. 

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but that unfortunate fellow has a dramatic life story of tragedy and success.
He was terribly burned when the helicopter he was piloting was shot down in Vietnam 55 years ago. Barely surviving, he spent two years recovering in the burn unit at Brooke Army hospital - much of that time face down in a sling apparatus. 
The plastic surgeons grew him a new nose by cutting a flap of arm flesh and attaching it to the stump of his burned off original one. His arm was strapped up by his head for months while the arm flesh grew onto his face. 
The surgeons did not try to replace his burned off ears and he wears a full toupee to cover his scarred bald head. 
By some fortuitous miracle, when he crashed and the chopped exploded in flames, he covered his his eyes with his arm, saving his eyesight. But that arm was severely burnt.

When he was discharged from the hospital, he stayed in Army as a career officer and after several command assignments in Europe & Asia, retired as a Lieutenant Colonel. Early after getting back to active duty, he married a beautiful young nurse, with whom he adopted a baby girl to raise as an army brat. (❤️). 
Unfortunately tragedy struck his family about 10 years ago when his wife unexpectedly passed away from a neural event. 
But he has continued to keep trucking’ on, doting on his daughter, a nurse, who recently married. 
He is quite an inspirational gentleman and all around good guy.

Incidentally, He & Mrs. Brat went steady their senior year in high school and dated all through college even though they went to different schools. They broke up in their senior year a few months before I met her at a mutual friend’s wedding (that’s when she & I started our relationship and married in June of 1967). 
We are all friends and are grateful to be able get together at their Taylor Duck class reunions.

1 hour ago, Covri said:

I just thought it was a blurry bad angle in a group picture, no disrespect meant.

Well don't you feel like an asshole now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

At least you don't have to spend an hour looking for the battery. 

Well don't you feel like an asshole now. 

I wasn’t trying to make him feel that way. 
And understood the Surly response to what looked like a blurred part of that photo.

No offense or worries on my part.

13 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but that unfortunate fellow has a dramatic life story of tragedy and success.
He was terribly burned when the helicopter he was piloting was shot down in Vietnam 55 years ago. Barely surviving, he spent two years recovering in the burn unit at Brooke Army hospital - much of that time face down in a sling apparatus. 
The plastic surgeons grew him a new nose by cutting a flap of arm flesh and attaching it to the stump of his burned off original one. His arm was strapped up by his head for months while the arm flesh grew onto his face. 
The surgeons did not try to replace his burned off ears and he wears a full toupee to cover his scarred bald head. 
By some fortuitous miracle, when he crashed and the chopped exploded in flames, he covered his his eyes with his arm, saving his eyesight. But that arm was severely burnt.

When he was discharged from the hospital, he stayed in Army as a career officer and after several command assignments in Europe & Asia, retired as a Lieutenant Colonel. Early after getting back to active duty, he married a beautiful young nurse, with whom he adopted a baby girl to raise as an army brat. (❤️). 
Unfortunately tragedy struck his family about 10 years ago when his wife unexpectedly passed away from a neural event. 
But he has continued to keep trucking’ on, doting on his daughter, a nurse, who recently married. 
He is quite an inspirational gentleman and all around good guy.

Incidentally, He & Mrs. Brat went steady their senior year in high school and dated all through college even though they went to different schools. They broke up in their senior year a few months before I met her at a mutual friend’s wedding (that’s when she & I started our relationship and married in June of 1967). 
We are all friends and are grateful to be able get together at their Taylor Duck class reunions.

You sure it was a helicopter that got his nose?

Spoiler

2crdes.gif.63fc5b8f79f713f2c457fa7af285d4ed.gif

On 3/24/2024 at 4:19 PM, hullabelew said:

Mine does all the time.  Problem is, she is wrong about 92.3% of the time.  She once told me to do south, then processed to tell me to turn right, (north).   Rather than argue, I said, "OK.  We will do it your way but when we get to Tennessee, I'm turning around."  Only ended up going about 2 miles before she realized it....and get this....ADMITTED it.  

There's a lot of great stuff to see in Tennessee. 

On 3/19/2024 at 2:02 PM, Crapinon said:

A month ago my wife took on a part-time job working for an estate sale company. After 2 estate sales we are in the hole, because she has bought more than she earned. "We need this dining room set for 8 in case our family shows up at the same time for dinner". Which has never happened in 30 years. And "I couldn't pass up on this bookcase, it was so cheap". Now all I need to do is build new walls in the house so we have a place to put it or clean out her room of teaching supplies which she "stored" 7 years ago after retiring from teaching.

Don't worry.  She'll make back 10% of what she spent when she sells it all after it sits in the garage for the next 5 years and she needs the space for some new used shit that she'll never use.  Ask me how I know.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Not me, but my business partner:

About 13 years ago his daughter and last remaining child living in the house was finishing up medical tech school and was planning on moving out.

In anticipation of not having tuition or a child in the house to pay for, he started work on his dream man cave. He tore down the old garage and rebuilt it and redid all of the drive with some pretty cool hard scape work. Inside he had a kitchen, bath, and open area where he put his new pool table. All surfaces were hard and could be washed down with a hose if need be. It even had floor drains. The fridge was stocked with plenty of beer and nothing else. Antlers and other hangings not suitable for the house were placed about the room and got it just like he wanted.  He even beat cancer during this time. Life was good.

Well, the daughter did not move out, so while she was living there no crazy parties were allowed.

Eventually, daughter met someone and he had to fork over a bunch of money for the wedding. Like 30 grand or something. But it would be worth it he thought, just so she could be out on her own with her husband making their way in the world.

Unbeknownst to him, his wife promised them they could live at home to save money.

So the man cave had to be converted to a residence. All new flooring, new kitchen, new bath, new bedroom walls, closet walls, and lighting. Pool table had to go to storage along with all of the other trappings.

He thought it would be ok after  a few years when they moved out after saving some money for a house.

Well, that day never came because his daughter freaked out and got a divorce 6 months after getting married. So daughter moves back into the house and garage apartment sits empty.

So after about a year when the coast is clear, business partner converts garage apartment back into a man cave. Walls are torn down, new flooring, new kitchen, new bath Yada Yada yada. All the while, daughter is still living at home.

He has been enjoying his man cave for a few years now worry free. His daughter even met another guy a few years back and he has a good job so her days at home are numbered.

So last week on Thursday, he doesn't show up for our usual beer drinking meeting even though he says he would be coming right over (he basically lives across the street from our office/yard).

So I walk on over to see what's up and he and his wife are under the man cave patio-talking. I can tell I am interrupting, so say my hellos and leave.

The next day I apologize for interrupting and he just shakes his head. He says his wife told him that his daughter wants to buy a house and move out and wants to move in with her boyfriend to save money. He asked where they were moving and his wife tells him, she said it would be ok if they moved into the man cave, after it was converted back into an apartment. Face palm.

He should tell his wife to move in with her boyfriend while she's at it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

About 13 years ago his daughter and last remaining child living in the house was finishing up medical tech school and was planning on moving out.
In anticipation of not having tuition or a child in the house to pay for, he started work on his dream man cave. He tore down the old garage and rebuilt it and redid all of the drive with some pretty cool hard scape work. Inside he had a kitchen, bath, and open area where he put his new pool table. All surfaces were hard and could be washed down with a hose if need be. It even had floor drains. The fridge was stocked with plenty of beer and nothing else. Antlers and other hangings not suitable for the house were placed about the room and got it just like he wanted.  He even beat cancer during this time. Life was good.
Well, the daughter did not move out, so while she was living there no crazy parties were allowed.
Eventually, daughter met someone and he had to fork over a bunch of money for the wedding. Like 30 grand or something. But it would be worth it he thought, just so she could be out on her own with her husband making their way in the world.
Unbeknownst to him, his wife promised them they could live at home to save money.
So the man cave had to be converted to a residence. All new flooring, new kitchen, new bath, new bedroom walls, closet walls, and lighting. Pool table had to go to storage along with all of the other trappings.
He thought it would be ok after  a few years when they moved out after saving some money for a house.
Well, that day never came because his daughter freaked out and got a divorce 6 months after getting married. So daughter moves back into the house and garage apartment sits empty.
So after about a year when the coast is clear, business partner converts garage apartment back into a man cave. Walls are torn down, new flooring, new kitchen, new bath Yada Yada yada. All the while, daughter is still living at home.
He has been enjoying his man cave for a few years now worry free. His daughter even met another guy a few years back and he has a good job so her days at home are numbered.
So last week on Thursday, he doesn't show up for our usual beer drinking meeting even though he says he would be coming right over (he basically lives across the street from our office/yard).
So I walk on over to see what's up and he and his wife are under the man cave patio-talking. I can tell I am interrupting, so say my hellos and leave.
The next day I apologize for interrupting and he just shakes his head. He says his wife told him that his daughter wants to buy a house and move out and wants to move in with her boyfriend to save money. He asked where they were moving and his wife tells him, she said it would be ok if they moved into the man cave, after it was converted back into an apartment. Face palm.

Nope. Fool me once shame on you, fool me again..you can obviously get fooled again.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Nope. Fool me once shame on you, fool me again..you can obviously get fooled again.

Yep. He is pretty passed and told me not to tell anyone. His secret us safe with me since nobody reads Surly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

fuck all that

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Wife decides to do the laundry. This is something akin to the total solar eclipse we’re about to witness here in Texas.

doesn’t separate colors.

Free for all on hanger handedness.

None of my shirts on hangers are buttoned and are falling off in my closet.

I mean, pure chaos.

A younger, stupider DNAguy would have said something. Made a comment. Nothing too demeaning. Something to bring her down to earth.

Idk if it’s the impending 40th birthday but I just kept my mouth shut.

Even when she was strolling around commenting on how I take twice as long with the laundry and she doesn’t know why.

Being about 5 beers deep into the evening helps, but Christ almighty:

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 4
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Wife decides to do the laundry. This is something akin to the total solar eclipse we’re about to witness here in Texas.

doesn’t separate colors.

Free for all on hanger handedness.

None of my shirts on hangers are buttoned and are falling off in my closet.

I mean, pure chaos.

A younger, stupider DNAguy would have said something. Made a comment. Nothing too demeaning. Something to bring her down to earth.

Idk if it’s the impending 40th birthday but I just kept my mouth shut.

Even when she was strolling around commenting on how I take twice as long with the laundry and she doesn’t know why.

Being about 5 beers deep into the evening helps, but Christ almighty:

When I got married I told my wife that I was very particular about my clothes.  Where they go, how they get folded, etc.  That I don't mind her doing laundry, but you can't get upset with me if I change something or say something.  If you are, just don't do it and we're cool.  That took like 3 times to fix.  Now my wife isn't allowed to do my laundry.

Housekeeper or I do it.  Housekeeper does it "wrong" to, so I redo it.  But I don't get nasty looks as I redo it like I do from my wife.  

8 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

No. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but at this point it's on him.  

And who in their right mind would want to live with their parents while married?  I barely understand single people over the age of 18 living with their parents.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but at this point it's on him.  

And who in their right mind would want to live with their parents while married?  I barely understand single people over the age of 18 living with their parents.

image.thumb.png.faa33db8f2ebf1132ea63693e7512c56.png

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2024 at 1:33 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Kinda reads like "If you give a mouse a cookie"

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/26/2024 at 11:04 PM, uoftorange said:

When I got married I told my wife that I was very particular about my clothes.  Where they go, how they get folded, etc.  That I don't mind her doing laundry, but you can't get upset with me if I change something or say something.  If you are, just don't do it and we're cool.  That took like 3 times to fix.  Now my wife isn't allowed to do my laundry.

Housekeeper or I do it.  Housekeeper does it "wrong" to, so I redo it.  But I don't get nasty looks as I redo it like I do from my wife.  

Sounds like your wife figured out how to not have to do laundry. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2024 at 2:33 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9526s8mzvpzyfj09i238

17 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Sounds like your wife figured out how to not have to do laundry. 

My ex wife?  Yes.  Her?  Nah.  I think it agitates her I don't let her do it.  She's an awful liar, completely transparent big or small.  It's kind of hilarious

Just have him buy a tiny house and set it up somewhere on the property. They can live in that. And he can sell it when they no longer need it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My wife is 45. This past weekend was the first time she ever heard the phrase "righty tighty lefty loosy".

She broke the garage door a few months ago. Knocked it off the track and the vertical channels got bent. Door was wedged crooked about halfway down. One roller bracket got so twisted I had to cut it just so I could get the door shut or risk having thieves stealing all of my tools and shit. I ordered all the parts to fix it and have been busy with work so haven’t had time to fix it until this past weekend.

Since she broke it, and I needed a 2nd set of hands to pull the panels off and put them back in, I made her help me. I have an old car in the garage I'm restoring so if course it was in the way. I was taking out hinge bolts on one side of the car, then handed her the socket wrench to take out the two bolts on her side.

I stood there and watched as she rotated the socket wrench the wrong way - click click click click - for a good 2-3 minutes. I kept telling her to turn it the other way but she couldn't figure it out. "It's not turning." I had to walk around the car and show her how a socket wrench works.

Later when we're reassembling, she kept trying to tighten a bolt with the wrench set to loosen. This was after I had already shown her how to switch it. "You need to come do this one. I can't get it tighten."

Seriously - how do you live 45 years and not understand which direction to turn something to tighten or loosen it? She's changed light bulbs before.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

My wife is 45. This past weekend was the first time she ever heard the phrase "righty tighty lefty loosy".

She broke the garage door a few months ago. Knocked it off the track and the vertical channels got bent. Door was wedged crooked about halfway down. One roller bracket got so twisted I had to cut it just so I could get the door shut or risk having thieves stealing all of my tools and shit. I ordered all the parts to fix it and have been busy with work so haven’t had time to fix it until this past weekend.

Since she broke it, and I needed a 2nd set of hands to pull the panels off and put them back in, I made her help me. I have an old car in the garage I'm restoring so if course it was in the way. I was taking out hinge bolts on one side of the car, then handed her the socket wrench to take out the two bolts on her side.

I stood there and watched as she rotated the socket wrench the wrong way - click click click click - for a good 2-3 minutes. I kept telling her to turn it the other way but she couldn't figure it out. "It's not turning." I had to walk around the car and show her how a socket wrench works.

Later when we're reassembling, she kept trying to tighten a bolt with the wrench set to loosen. This was after I had already shown her how to switch it. "You need to come do this one. I can't get it tighten."

Seriously - how do you live 45 years and not understand which direction to turn something to tighten or loosen it? She's changed light bulbs before.

Rules.

Using context clues…. I think I can help.

spacer.png

My wife likes to start arts and crafts projects at like 9 PM. "I'm gonna paint these blocks for the grandkids!". Once, I asked why she had all this energy later in the evening for that bullshit but when I ask for some pussy at 10 PM on a random day, she's "so exhausted". Tone, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

Wife was out this morning, so I had the kids do spring cleaning with me - regular chores, but also getting rid of old toys and other junk.

There's a trash bag and a donate box. The kids occasionally ask about a few items, but otherwise they have it under control, and no drama at all.

Then the wife comes home and starts digging through the trash, pulling stuff out, and aggressively asking the kids why they threw things out. Lots of yelling and crying ensues.

Fuck me.

It's 9:40 right now, and behind me, she's digging through the trash bag again... 

She sounds like a damn nightmare. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

Then the wife comes home and starts digging through the trash, pulling stuff out, and aggressively asking the kids why they threw things out.

I was going through old clothes just this morning, and informed the wife that she was not allowed to go through them and ask if I was really giving this away.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I was going through old clothes just this morning, and informed the wife that she was not allowed to go through them and ask if I was really giving this away.

My wife goes through my clothes and gives them away without asking and I don't notice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking at flights just now and wife wants to choose a 5:30am flight out of AUS on a Friday morning instead of one a couple of hours later because it's $100 cheaper.  It's worth $100 to me to not have to deal with the airport at the absolute busiest time on the busiest day of the week.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Superhero said:

Wife was out this morning, so I had the kids do spring cleaning with me - regular chores, but also getting rid of old toys and other junk.

There's a trash bag and a donate box. The kids occasionally ask about a few items, but otherwise they have it under control, and no drama at all.

Then the wife comes home and starts digging through the trash, pulling stuff out, and aggressively asking the kids why they threw things out. Lots of yelling and crying ensues.

Fuck me.

It's 9:40 right now, and behind me, she's digging through the trash bag again... 

I am kind of guilty of this.  I would prefer she start tossing one of the baskets of home designing and decorating magazines that are nearly a decade old, instead of the kid books that we are using/reading or the closet full of clothes/purses/shoes that are just a glorified closet caltrop.   Or the little riding toy that I repaired, I gave away to a shelter rather than just have it consume 1/2 of the space of our trash can.   

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I am kind of guilty of this.  I would prefer she start tossing one of the baskets of home designing and decorating magazines that are nearly a decade old, instead of the kid books that we are using/reading or the closet full of clothes/purses/shoes that are just a glorified closet caltrop.   Or the little riding toy that I repaired, I gave away to a shelter rather than just have it consume 1/2 of the space of our trash can.   

REP for "caltrop".

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, and how did that work out for you?

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

REP for "caltrop".

???

Caltrops are four-pronged, heavy gauge steel puncturing spikes that can be thrown or linked together to cause immediate, irreparable, catastrophic failure of pneumatic tires. These devices significantly impede wheeled vehicle progression at access control points and checkpoints. Multiple Services employ these devices.