ESPN GAME DAY

Steamboat1874

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

The Mississippi State Cowboys?... Cowdogs.... Cowbells...

Corso is an icon, but man he struggles more and more now

he's 88 years old. All old people are like that. At least he wasn't turning into a bowl of saliva on stage like Lou Holtz was. Half the times Lou Holtz spoke, I needed closed captions to understand him.

1 minute ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

he's 88 years old. All old people are like that. At least he wasn't turning into a bowl of saliva on stage like Lou Holtz was. Half the times Lou Holtz spoke, I needed closed captions to understand him.

Herbie is doing all he can to make sure things go smooth. He truly loves and respects Corso, but damn I am not sure how much longer he can hang on

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Both ESPN and Big Noon Kickoff are in Boulder. Once again FOX is kicking ESPN's ass. The only significant thing on gameday is that it'll be Corso's 400th head gear pick. Fox has Gronk and Lil Wayne will be performing. 

You have a bias here for some reason. I switched back and forth and neither is better than the other. I’d be curious to know what specifically makes the fox show so much better? 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Unpopular take, but I enjoyed Holtz on college football final. It didn’t take itself too seriously, had some dumb segments but some ended up being pretty solid. Now it’s just highlights, which might as well just be sportscenter.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DigDug said:

You sound like one of those guys that gets an attitude when someone doesn't pick Texas.  Look at this guy, he looked at the game and thinks the other team has a better chance to win.  And we've never lost.  What an asshole this guy.

That is quite the logical leap.

And a bad one.

Edited by TrashMaster G
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Herbie is doing all he can to make sure things go smooth. He truly loves and respects Corso, but damn I am not sure how much longer he can hang on

I’ve noticed the few times that I’ve watched in the last couple of years, Herb seems like he gently guides Corso through whatever he’s supposed to say. Seems very respectful and makes me like Herb a little bit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 9/16/2023 at 11:08 AM, Pancho said:

You have a bias here for some reason. I switched back and forth and neither is better than the other. I’d be curious to know what specifically makes the fox show so much better? 

No Herbie, no Dez, no Corso. Plus they have celebrity pickers and guests that actually have ties to the schools that are featured. And their theme song is better. 

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'd love to see a summary of stats on Corso's headgear picks, by school.

What is Lee Corso headgear record?

266 wins and 134 losses

Corso has an overall record of 66.5% with 266 wins and 134 losses, according to "Cole's GameDay Blog," a site that has tracked all of his picks. He's picked 68 different teams all time, but none more than the Buckeyes at 38, according to ESPN Stats & Info. The next closest is the Alabama Crimson Tide (36).
Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hozz said:

In a vacuum Gameday is still good.  I watch it and just skip the shit I don't want to see.  But relative to its high point and contrasted against Big Noon, it's just objectively worse.

I just can’t get the big noon love?  It’s just as goofy at times, the analysis isn’t that much better and it’s fucking Urban, Lienart, Brady Quinn and Tom Rinaldi for fucks sake.  They are all terrible.  Tom looks like he’s not allowed within 100 yards of a school.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/16/2023 at 9:42 AM, ztejas said:

Pat McAfee is dressed like a lesbian rodeo manager. 

HEY!  Cut that hateful language out!  A lot of men dressed as lesbian managers who talk sports over the media go on to great careers besides the rodeo.  Like Texas politics for instance.  

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

What is Lee Corso headgear record?

266 wins and 134 losses

Corso has an overall record of 66.5% with 266 wins and 134 losses, according to "Cole's GameDay Blog," a site that has tracked all of his picks. He's picked 68 different teams all time, but none more than the Buckeyes at 38, according to ESPN Stats & Info. The next closest is the Alabama Crimson Tide (36).

Jesus. That’s much better than I expected. He picked us on some of the worst OU Stoops Era beat downs and I’ve dreaded the Corso jinx since. 

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The McAfee experiment needs to be done after this season.

the problem is, College Gameday has an age problem and they know it. 

watching yesterday where they kept reminding everyone that 30 years earlier, Colorado was the first show that Kirk travelled to, and they did several flashback moments from that THIRTY year old show where 24yo Kirk was on site for the first time.

Pat isnt a spring chicken, but hes 36.

If you look at all the hosts/ primary analysts not named Pat, Desmond is the youngest at 53.   You add Pat's age and Desmond's age and you get 89...  1 more than Corso's age. 

we "grew up" with those guys and are used to them, I mean hell for most of us Kirk is probably plus or minus within 7 years of age of the majority of the users of this site. 

but think about a college student today.   Pat is the closest to them in age and hes anywhere from 15-18 years older 

even the contributors are older, RG3 is the youngest and hes 33, Jess is 35, 

At some point they need to find at least 1 sub-30 former college football player. Plus another sub-30 female contributor (actual contributor not just a pretty face)

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The format is dead

Yup, TV in general is dead. You're not gonna hit current college-aged fans with a cable TV show anymore. You want to hit a modern young-person audience? You need to do live streams/reactions/let's plays/etc with people's faces in the corner of the screen, ironically much like what Pat McAfee did during the Bama game, except *ON TWITCH* or *YOUTUBE* or *TIK-TOK* not ESPN+.

41 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

the problem is, College Gameday has an age problem and they know it. 

watching yesterday where they kept reminding everyone that 30 years earlier, Colorado was the first show that Kirk travelled to, and they did several flashback moments from that THIRTY year old show where 24yo Kirk was on site for the first time.

Pat isnt a spring chicken, but hes 36.

If you look at all the hosts/ primary analysts not named Pat, Desmond is the youngest at 53.   You add Pat's age and Desmond's age and you get 89...  1 more than Corso's age. 

we "grew up" with those guys and are used to them, I mean hell for most of us Kirk is probably plus or minus within 7 years of age of the majority of the users of this site. 

but think about a college student today.   Pat is the closest to them in age and hes anywhere from 15-18 years older 

even the contributors are older, RG3 is the youngest and hes 33, Jess is 35, 

At some point they need to find at least 1 sub-30 former college football player. Plus another sub-30 female contributor (actual contributor not just a pretty face)

It has nothing to do with his age. Pat McAfee is a fucking douche, that is better served announcing WWE matches than talking about college football. I can't imagine having to put up with his schtick for 3 hours every Saturday in the fall.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Jesus. That’s much better than I expected. He picked us on some of the worst OU Stoops Era beat downs and I’ve dreaded the Corso jinx since. 

Oh man am I right there with you. I know it isn’t against the spread but my (our) bias says he sucks at picking.

That was a nice segment on Lee corso, got a little dusty. He’s been a staple of my Saturday mornings for more than half my life.

And I like Mcafee. He’s a douche, dresses like a jersey douche, but I like his energy for college football.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 9/17/2023 at 8:41 PM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Yup, TV in general is dead. You're not gonna hit current college-aged fans with a cable TV show anymore. You want to hit a modern young-person audience? You need to do live streams/reactions/let's plays/etc with people's faces in the corner of the screen, ironically much like what Pat McAfee did during the Bama game, except *ON TWITCH* or *YOUTUBE* or *TIK-TOK* not ESPN+.

Ugh I hate how accurate this is. 

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I think the graphics guy in charge of whatever team lee picks just kinda wings it when lee is talking. Nobody really ever knows who his actual pick is

I saw he talked up Penn State, the graphics guy puts up Iowa, and Lee stared at it confused like somebody told him the Moon isn't real.