Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

When I'm at a light and the driver of the car is fucking around on their phone and doesn't go at the green light. And the second driver doesn't honk..

I'm irrationally more angry at the second driver.....
Hell they are probably on their phone, too and doesn't even notice. This is a huge pet peeve of mine when it comes to driving. Pretty much at any given light cycle, it can easily handle more cars cycling through but because of people going extremely slow or not paying attention, it doesn't happen. Drives me up a wall.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

When I'm at a light and the driver of the car is fucking around on their phone and doesn't go at the green light. And the second driver doesn't honk..

To quote the kraut in Raiders of the Lost Ark: "Shoot them.  Shoot them both."*

*This is hyperbole, not an actual suggestion.  Never shoot other drivers, no matter how annoying the are.  It is a momentary pleasure, and will get you talked about.

• Haha 2

In my previous O&G career (left Feb 2020), I was on intercontinental flights at least once a month. Never thought anything of it. I was always packed, navigated the airports, etc. with ease and without a second thought. It was just what I did. 

Well, then COVID happened. And I stayed home. It was nice.  I like staying home.  I like sleeping in my own bed.  I like having my own breakfast stuff.  I like waking up next to Mrs. NNM.  I like having my coffee and quiet time watching my lake, with the pooch at my feet.

In this retirement gig, I do need to travel some, and man it sucks. This is my 3rd intercontinental trip in the last 3 years and it’s no fun. Waiting in airport lines. Waiting in airport lounges. Sleeping/not sleeping on planes. The fog that descends over the brain as the time zones shift. Bad airport and hotel food. Idiots everywhere. Flight delays. Rude flight attendants.  The list goes on.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nnm said:

In my previous O&G career (left Feb 2020), I was on intercontinental flights at least once a month. Never thought anything of it. I was always packed, navigated the airports, etc. with ease and without a second thought. It was just what I did. 

Well, then COVID happened. And I stayed home. It was nice.  I like staying home.  I like sleeping in my own bed.  I like having my own breakfast stuff.  I like waking up next to Mrs. NNM.  I like having my coffee and quiet time watching my lake, with the pooch at my feet.

In this retirement gig, I do need to travel some, and man it sucks. This is my 3rd intercontinental trip in the last 3 years and it’s no fun. Waiting in airport lines. Waiting in airport lounges. Sleeping/not sleeping on planes. The fog that descends over the brain as the time zones shift. Bad airport and hotel food. Idiots everywhere. Flight delays. Rude flight attendants.  The list goes on.

we're twinned.  unlike many others, i actually enjoyed work travel.  it all came to a screeching halt with covid and damn i couldnt be happier for it.  what a good life home life is, fr.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

That would never be me.

When I am first in line at a light, my preferred spot, I treat that light like a drag racer. I will be gone and up to the speed limit within 4 seconds even if it 55MPH.

• Hook 'Em 4

Grocery and store delivery. Not even trivial at this point. I use HEB delivery because our HEB is under renovation and selection sucks unless we order online.

About 7 of the last 13 deliveries have had missing items, wrong items.

This doesn't even touch on Walmart delivery which apparently can't even find an address, having delivered it twice to addresses half a mile away. On brand for them. But for HEB I'd expect better.

53 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That would never be me.

When I am first in line at a light, my preferred spot, I treat that light like a drag racer. I will be gone and up to the speed limit within 4 seconds even if it 55MPH.

If you lived in Houston you would be Tboned by an uninsured driver running the red light the first time you did that.  I always check for idiots before proceeding through the green light.  If that slight delay causes the impatient asshole behind me to hit his horn then I will just sit there until I feel like proceeding

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

In my previous O&G career I was headed to Costco for cheap gas and I had to slam on my brakes for some idiot with a Bama sticker and my oil light came on.  It was then that I realized that I had just changed my oil last week and I probably have a leaky head gasket.  I used to be able to change a head gasket but now I drive an Infiniti QX56 so I cant even see most of my engine when I open the hood and it will probably require removing the entire AC system and my dash board just to access the spark plug wires let alone the head or heads - I dont even know how many I have anymore.  Then I realized I was probably happier with a 1976 chrysler. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

That would never be me.
I used to be like this but there's a ton of red light runners in the DFW. Not just barely but blatantly running it. There's always a little delay from when it turns red for one side and green for the other for this reason. But I've seen people barrel through with no disregard well after the fact. Especially people who are turning left and do it well after red.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

In my previous O&G career I was headed to Costco for cheap gas and I had to slam on my brakes for some idiot with a Bama sticker and my oil light came on.  It was then that I realized that I had just changed my oil last week and I probably have a leaky head gasket.  I used to be able to change a head gasket but now I drive an Infiniti QX56 so I cant even see most of my engine when I open the hood and it will probably require removing the entire AC system and my dash board just to access the spark plug wires let alone the head or heads - I dont even know how many I have anymore.  Then I realized I was probably happier with a 1976 chrysler. 
Speaking of Costco and gas, i have no idea how people wait in the lines I see for gas. I've seen lines 20 cars deep.

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:
That would never be me.

I used to be like this but there's a ton of red light runners in the DFW. Not just barely but blatantly running it. There's always a little delay from when it turns red for one side and green for the other for this reason. But I've seen people barrel through with no disregard well after the fact. Especially people who are turning left and do it well after red.

Yeah I definitely give it a second or two at certain intersections. If some asshole behind me wants to honk they can knock themselves out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That would never be me.

And then brake and stop at the next red light? Rinse and repeat?

I know the traffic lights on my commute and will try to drive at a speed so by the time I get to the next, it’s already green and I don’t ever have to come to a complete stop.

I loathe the idiots who drag race to the next red light and then wait for the green. Because they’re the ones who block me while they’re accelerating from 0 to 50 when I’m already cruising at 50.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That would never be me.

Same.  I always want to limit my time on the road, and I assume everyone else is in the same boat.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Superhero said:

And then brake and stop at the next red light? Rinse and repeat?

I know the traffic lights on my commute and will try to drive at a speed so by the time I get to the next, it’s already green and I don’t ever have to come to a complete stop.

I loathe the idiots who drag race to the next red light and then wait for the green. Because they’re the ones who block me while they’re accelerating from 0 to 50 when I’m already cruising at 50.

Yep the people who drag race from one red light to another are fucking lame. They speed off down the road and I creep along and meet them at the same red light, many times further up ahead in the line.

This is another issue but it seems so many traffic patterns in the DFW suck about pushing people through the many lights down the main roads. Way too much stop and go, maybe this is done on purpose. When I used to actually commute for work, it seems I could time the lights by what time I leave. It was usually an all or nothing. I either get every green light or I have to stop at every light for red. No real in between.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep the people who drag race from one red light to another are fucking lame. They speed off down the road and I creep along and meet them at the same red light, many times further up ahead in the line.

This is another issue but it seems so many traffic patterns in the DFW suck about pushing people through the many lights down the main roads. Way too much stop and go, maybe this is done on purpose. When I used to actually commute for work, it seems I could time the lights by what time I leave. It was usually an all or nothing. I either get every green light or I have to stop at every light for red. No real in between.

Yeah... that's when I pull out my phone to check surly, and hold up traffic for 30 seconds. Then I hit all green lights after that little delay. 

On 5/10/2023 at 11:47 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 5/10/2023 at 11:36 AM, Jameslaw121 said:

Hell they are probably on their phone, too and doesn't even notice. This is a huge pet peeve of mine when it comes to driving. Pretty much at any given light cycle, it can easily handle more cars cycling through but because of people going extremely slow or not paying attention, it doesn't happen. Drives me up a wall.

In a similar vein, people that leave 1+ car lengths in front of them at lights. I used to work out of a house on Bull Creek and 45th and would watch this happen all day. Sometimes 2-3 car lengths, which would ultimately fuck over at least 5 cars from getting through the light. I’m not asking people to be right up on the bumper of the car in front of them, but you don’t need a 15 foot gap. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

6 hours ago, beer said:

that was the longest string of non-sequiturs i have ever read, so i tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

In Houston it’s to hurry out of range from whatever creepy road rage d-bag may have gotten their feelings hurt at the light.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, beer said:

My college truck was a '77 Chevy C10. I could fit in the motor well and work on it.

56geau.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

In a similar vein, people that leave 1+ car lengths in front of them at lights. I used to work out of a house on Bull Creek and 45th and would watch this happen all day. Sometimes 2-3 car lengths, which would ultimately fuck over at least 5 cars from getting through the light. I’m not asking people to be right up on the bumper of the car in front of them, but you don’t need a 15 foot gap. 

People who do this in the drive thru lane should be hung. 

~~~~~

When I'm at a stoplight that includes occupied left turn lanes on both sides, I'm continually amazed by how many people first in line and heading straight begin inching forward when they see the light turn yellow for the cross street traffic. 

How do you not understand that you're still going to have to wait for the people turning left before it turns green to go straight? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

So, I follow the "Houston Heights Foodies" group on FB that's actually quite useful for news about restaurant openings and reviews of new places. However, there are lots of simpletons on there that ask extremely broad, dumb questions.

"Looking for a good place to eat inside the Beltway that serves alcohol" Oh, that narrows it down!

Or the morons in the comments that didn't read the original post. 

Somebody will be like "Tried (restaurant) on (street) in (neighborhood). Really loved the fajitas and the margaritas were strong but tasty!"

In the comments: "Looks good, what restaurant and where is it located?"

On 5/2/2023 at 6:06 AM, GoPokes83 said:

I’m a Pepsi guy. For some reason Buc-ees has stopped carrying all Pepsi products. It’s the only decent c-store in this town.

Probably because the Coke products sell more.  I'd rather go in a store and box of tampons for the wife than go buy a pepsi.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Haha 1

Heading into work, there's a light that is roughly a 5 minute cycle.  Coming up to the left turn lane, there's maybe 10 cars in front of me.  9 of them follow each other pretty tightly to get through the light, and I'm stuck behind the dolt that leaves a 10 car gap between her and the car in front of her.  She's three car lengths from the light, and it turns yellow.  She stops at a solid yellow and makes me and three behind me miss the light.  5 minutes of precious twitter / surly time I missed due to her most likely texting and driving.

Edited by PvilleStang
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I'm stuck behind the dolt that leaves a 10 car gap between her and the car in front of her.

I've seen a bunch of people doing that lately. Asking around I get "if you are too close tot he car in front of you and you get rear ended, you'll get hurt worse".

Ok. Probably true, but 3 car lengths? Are you planning on getting hit from behind by a train?

• Hook 'Em 1