Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Trump is obviously desperate to win this.  Makes you wonder why.

If he was a real billionaire, he’d decide he didn’t need it and just leave.

Probably because he's going to wind up in jail after he leaves office so his intent is to never leave. 

19 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

From this morning's playbook (if you don't subscribe to their email list,  you should--rolls in around 5 am, and chock full o'stuff each day):

THEY NEED A DEAL: The two sides have to come together on the top-line number, and the policies within the bill. … ONCE THAT HAPPENS, they need to draft the bill. This takes three or so days at absolute best. There are some major policy differences, and drafting is always a hassle. … THEN THEY MUST RELEASE THE BILL. The bill is going to have to sit out for a day or so. PELOSI has to take it to House Democrats, and Senate Majority Leader MITCH MCCONNELL has to take it to Senate Republicans (more on that soon). … It will take at least three days to pass this bill in the House, and a week to pass it in the Senate.

SO, WE’RE TALKING ABOUT A TWO-WEEK PROCESS at a minimum to pass a deal that’s not yet wrapped up. Layer on a Supreme Court confirmation hearing and floor vote.

WAKE UP WHITE HOUSE! IT’S GO TIME!: To get a deal, the White House needs to empower MNUCHIN to get something done -- something they haven’t done yet; TRUMP needs to expend serious political capital to get a big vote in the House as a signal to the Senate that it has cover voting for this. If he thought tax reform and USMCA were a big deal, then he hasn’t seen anything yet; and then TRUMP needs to grease the skids for a big and very quick vote in the Senate.

There’s a theory that’s rattling around the Capitol that all of the principals are engaged in an intricate game of smoke and mirrors right now. IS MNUCHIN DRAGGING OUT THESE negotiations to juice markets? … IS TRUMP trying to push a negotiation to set PELOSI up to blame? IS PELOSI simply going with the flow?

Of course that's what they're doing.  Trump realized that, after throwing his bitch fit on Twitter, the failure to get a second stimulus done was certain to get laid at his feet.  I don't think Mitch and the GOP senators had any intention of approving a stimulus bill in the $1.5B + range, especially without protection for his corporate overlords.  Layer in the fact that it's become clear to Mitch that Trump is very like to lose in November, and I think that Mitch is now intent on laying the groundwork for a significant economic downturn following the election.  I mean, what better way to get those swing voters back on the GOP side than having Biden take office and the stock market crash in the weeks / months after?  Just watch - we're going to be hearing "look at how the Dems killed our economy" and "we have to get control of our national debt" for the next 4 years, and a good portion of the country will buy it.

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this or if it has been posted yet but anyone see the D mayoral candidate in Carrollton, TX that was just busted for “mail fraud and tampering with votes”.  I am getting inundated with this story from all my friends and associates that are Trumpers.  They are all saying, “see, there is voter fraud and CNN and the Dems don’t want to admit it”.  By the way I have no idea if this mayoral candidate did it but guessing he did.  The Right wing media are experts at taking one instance of something and making it seem like it occurs all the time.  The sheriff of Denton Co. in this article states that this occurs all the time and voting by mail is bad. Put this in the Trump thread because it falls into his narrative of the election will be stolen from me by “vote harvesters” for Biden.  

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Not sure where to put this or if it has been posted yet but anyone see the D mayoral candidate in Carrollton, TX that was just busted for “mail fraud and tampering with votes”.  I am getting inundated with this story from all my friends and associates that are Trumpers.  They are all saying, “see, there is voter fraud and CNN and the Dems don’t want to admit it”.  By the way I have no idea if this mayoral candidate did it but guessing he did.  The Right wing media are experts at taking one instance of something and making it seem like it occurs all the time.  The sheriff of Denton Co. in this article states that this occurs all the time and voting by mail is bad. Put this in the Trump thread because it falls into his narrative of the election will be stolen from me by “vote harvesters” for Biden.  

First off, I'm not sure he's really a D, it's a city election ffs.

Second, as pointed out on the thread, this kind of vote fraud is only effective in a small election with a small turnout, i.e. a local election.

Third, he was busted so fucking fast.  Like most of these schemes will be.

8 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Have they heard of Brian Kemp of Georgia?

7 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Of course that's what they're doing.  Trump realized that, after throwing his bitch fit on Twitter, the failure to get a second stimulus done was certain to get laid at his feet.  I don't think Mitch and the GOP senators had any intention of approving a stimulus bill in the $1.5B + range, especially without protection for his corporate overlords.  Layer in the fact that it's become clear to Mitch that Trump is very like to lose in November, and I think that Mitch is now intent on laying the groundwork for a significant economic downturn following the election.  I mean, what better way to get those swing voters back on the GOP side than having Biden take office and the stock market crash in the weeks / months after?  Just watch - we're going to be hearing "look at how the Dems killed our economy" and "we have to get control of our national debt" for the next 4 years, and a good portion of the country will buy it.

yep, remember the whole we won't pass any spending bill without an equal amount of spending cuts to "pay for it".

a golden oldie from days gone by when the GOP was in the minority. Get ready to hear it again.

41 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Trump is obviously desperate to win this.  Makes you wonder why.

If he was a real billionaire, he’d decide he didn’t need it and just leave.

It's why Romney can tell Trump to choke on a dick,  but a lot of other GOP members can't:  They need that K street post Senate money.  Can't earn that if McConnell blackballs you.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The Art of the Deal, folks.

This will sit on his desk unsigned until the election. Trump will likely have a lead on election night due to so many states not being able to START counting mail in ballots until the polls close and he's going to say that he'll sign it if Biden concedes. 

58 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

From this morning's playbook (if you don't subscribe to their email list,  you should--rolls in around 5 am, and chock full o'stuff each day):

THEY NEED A DEAL: The two sides have to come together on the top-line number, and the policies within the bill. … ONCE THAT HAPPENS, they need to draft the bill. This takes three or so days at absolute best. There are some major policy differences, and drafting is always a hassle. … THEN THEY MUST RELEASE THE BILL. The bill is going to have to sit out for a day or so. PELOSI has to take it to House Democrats, and Senate Majority Leader MITCH MCCONNELL has to take it to Senate Republicans (more on that soon). … It will take at least three days to pass this bill in the House, and a week to pass it in the Senate.

SO, WE’RE TALKING ABOUT A TWO-WEEK PROCESS at a minimum to pass a deal that’s not yet wrapped up. Layer on a Supreme Court confirmation hearing and floor vote.

WAKE UP WHITE HOUSE! IT’S GO TIME!: To get a deal, the White House needs to empower MNUCHIN to get something done -- something they haven’t done yet; TRUMP needs to expend serious political capital to get a big vote in the House as a signal to the Senate that it has cover voting for this. If he thought tax reform and USMCA were a big deal, then he hasn’t seen anything yet; and then TRUMP needs to grease the skids for a big and very quick vote in the Senate.

There’s a theory that’s rattling around the Capitol that all of the principals are engaged in an intricate game of smoke and mirrors right now. IS MNUCHIN DRAGGING OUT THESE negotiations to juice markets? … IS TRUMP trying to push a negotiation to set PELOSI up to blame? IS PELOSI simply going with the flow?

image.jpeg.0871c7f9d5beaefb3b1a3eec78e286ad.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I read that. This is the quote that got me, where it's clear he's gone:

“I’m a senior. I know you don’t know that. Nobody knows that. Maybe you don’t have to tell them. But I’m a senior.”

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It's why Romney can tell Trump to choke on a dick,  but a lot of other GOP members can't:  They need that K street post Senate money.  Can't earn that if McConnell blackballs you.

Great point.  Probably explains a lot of the retirements.  Don't have to go along anymore, leaves open the possibility of cushy retirement.

It's not just about re-election, it's also about continued access and influence and out of office grift.

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

“I’m a senior. I know you don’t know that. Nobody knows that. Maybe you don’t have to tell them. But I’m a senior.”

I've got nothing. Did he say it jokingly, like "hey I look so young you'd never guess I'm 74"?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That is...that affected me way more that I thought it would. 

Trump is human garbage.

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

First off, I'm not sure he's really a D, it's a city election ffs.

Second, as pointed out on the thread, this kind of vote fraud is only effective in a small election with a small turnout, i.e. a local election.

Third, he was busted so fucking fast.  Like most of these schemes will be.

Yeah, that's the takeaway here. He got nailed. Easily.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Great point.  Probably explains a lot of the retirements.  Don't have to go along anymore, leaves open the possibility of cushy retirement.

It's not just about re-election, it's also about continued access and influence and out of office grift.

People think of all elected officials as rich, and increasingly a lot of them bring some money to DC with them, but the salary, while a lot by fly over state terms, is kinda paltry by DC standards.  My wife and I make quite a bit more combined, and I live in a 3 bed/2 bath in PG County.  Worst humble brag ever.

The opportunities for grift while in office are non existent.  You will get caught doing that shit.  Even the old stand bys of putting your family on your campaign are generally frowned upon and will get you in trouble. So, to cash in on what can be a kinda thankless job, you need to go get a good post office lobbying gig.  It can be a very lucrative experience, but if you get crosswise with the powers at be, your time here can end very quickly, and most politicians don't have a lively hood to fall back on.  I know a former US Senator who pissed off W and ended selling real estate in Florida a few years later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Can we revisit this 25th Amendment thing again for a moment? What exactly is it that Pelosi is trying to accomplish? Is it only House Ds that are meeting or are there other parties involved like from the administration?

The timing of it is weird and I can't help but start having conspiratorial thoughts. I've had a sinus infection the past couple of days and have been kind of out of it, but wasn't this announced about the same time that Pence was skipping his rally in Arizona to come back to the White House with speculation being that he, himself, had now come down with the virus? But, now, the news that Cabinet members are ignoring Trump's orders to have Biden, Obama, et al to be indicted or arrested.

Could it be that everyone, inside and outside the Administration, sees the writing on the wall that Trump will lose and they're planning to pull the 25th after the election to avoid any further Trump madness during the transition? Is that remotely within the realm of possibility or am I reading too much into it?

Thanks. I'll hang up and listen now.

I just don't see the Republicans agreeing to it now.  They've happily eaten Trump's shit for almost 4 years.  Why would they suddenly stop asking for more of it a month before the election?  It would destroy their remaining hopes of keeping the Senate.  Plus it would shine an even worse light on trying to run ACB's nomination through.

Edited by kevwun

12 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

So he’s finally admitting he never graduated from high school? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

Can we revisit this 25th Amendment thing again for a moment? What exactly is it that Pelosi is trying to accomplish? Is it only House Ds that are meeting or are there other parties involved like from the administration?

The timing of it is weird and I can't help but start having conspiratorial thoughts. I've had a sinus infection the past couple of days and have been kind of out of it, but wasn't this announced about the same time that Pence was skipping his rally in Arizona to come back to the White House with speculation being that he, himself, had now come down with the virus? But, now, the news that Cabinet members are ignoring Trump's orders to have Biden, Obama, et al to be indicted or arrested.

Could it be that everyone, inside and outside the Administration, sees the writing on the wall that Trump will lose and they're planning to pull the 25th after the election to avoid any further Trump madness during the transition? Is that remotely within the realm of possibility or am I reading too much into it?

I see it as an excuse to put an organized timeline of his erratic behavior into the center of the conversation at the government level and make Republicans defend the behaviors. Also puts an organized timeline into the congressional record for all eternity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

As I understand it, and I think they are rolling out the proposal this morning, is they would like to use the highlighted below:

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

Read Interpretations of the 25th Amendment

to create a future body to help evaluate the physical and mental fitness of the president if health issues are a concern.  Basically it's currently an honor system based on the Vice PResident and Cabinet right now, and she'd like to get some medical professionals involved.  It would apply to future presidents and have to be signed into law. She's not trying th invoke the 25th on Trump (she can't), but she's using the fact that he's sick to high light we need to fix some huge gaps in our succession and presidential fitness protocols.

She's not letting a good political crisis go to waste, as they say.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I see it as an excuse to put an organized timeline of his erratic behavior into the center of the conversation at the government level and make Republicans defend the behaviors. Also puts an organized timeline into the congressional record for all eternity.

Thank you. I was trying to write something similar, but your version is way more succinct 

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

As I understand it, and I think they are rolling out the proposal this morning, is they would like to use the highlighted below:

to create a future body to help evaluate the physical and mental fitness of the president if health issues are a concern.  Basically it's an honor system based on the Vice PResident and Cabinet right now, and she'd like to get some medical professionals involved.  It would apply to future presidents and have to be signed into law. She's not trying th invoke the 25th on Trump (she can't), but she's using the fact that he's sick to high light we need to fix some huge gaps in our succession and presidential fitness protocols.

Okay, that clarifies it some for me. I wasn't thinking that she'd invoke it on Trump but was considering that maybe some backroom deal with Pence and the current Cabinet was being achieved. Farfetched, I know, but it is 2020 and I've been kind of out of it. 

Given Biden's age, it's probably not a bad idea to be thinking along these lines anyway -- although I'm sure Biden would voluntarily step aside if he felt he was no longer up for the job at some point.

Okay, that clarifies it some for me. I wasn't thinking that she'd invoke it on Trump but was considering that maybe some backroom deal with Pence and the current Cabinet was being achieved. Farfetched, I know, but it is 2020 and I've been kind of out of it. 

Given Biden's age, it's probably not a bad idea to be thinking along these lines anyway -- although I'm sure Biden would voluntarily step aside if he felt he was no longer up for the job at some point.

I thought it was weird that both Pence and Harris dodged the question about whether they had been in discussions about succession if the president were to succumb to COVID-19 or something else, after citing their age. I get that neither want to highlight that their running mates are both old as shit, but a simple "A protocol is established for those situations, so yes, I've been briefed on how that would work, but we have no concerns about the [president/former vice presidents] health." Harris could go a step further "And to be clear, you have seen that Vice President Biden is doing everything the doctors are advising, wearing a mask, not holding large public rallies, all things that the president has ignored and in fact mocks Vice President Biden for doing. He has put himself and frankly the country at risk by contracting it himself and spreading it throughout the white house."

One of the real weakness in the 25th Amendment is assumes a pre-modern style Vice Presidency, where the VP is excluded from virtually all WH decision making and has a vested political interest in trying to become the President.  It is assumed the cabinet would go along with removing a truly disabled president (ala Woodrow Wilson), thus allowing the VP to establish his/her self as a new and separate political entity.  It does not work well with the modern VP, who works hand and glove with the serving President and essentially ties their success together.

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

Look, I'm no President...but I think maybe the reason the little, tiny fish aren't doing so well is because California is pumping freshwater into their environment.  And you know...it's possible...since they live in the ocean...you know; that they might be saltwater fish.  

Seriously, what fucking drugs is he on?  I totally expect him to bag on California on Fox News, hell I make fun California in the shower.  But the fish/water pumping thing?  I mean, you can usually sorta see what he meant, something he took from a briefing and warped to death to fit in his tiny head.  But I can't conceive of anything he could have been told that would lead to his California fish rant.  I mean needing water to fight the fires, yeah...I get that.  But this was so far afield.  

Honestly, we need to make a safe thread with no anti-Trump shit.  Just quotes of his where DT posters can just come over and simply translate.  Judgement-free zone.  But I seriously need like a "Here's what he said, but here's what he meant."  

That whole Hannity interview sounded like a discarded Dr. Seuss manuscript being read aloud by a person with access to nuclear weapons and a primetime tv show.

My best guess is that he's talking about minimum river flow requirements to support salmon spawning. Salmon are anything but tiny, but they also aren't sharks and he is a moron...

8 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

My best guess is that he's talking about minimum river flow requirements to support salmon spawning. Salmon are anything but tiny, but they also aren't sharks and he is a moron...

Without knowing more, that sounds right.  My wife is working on a similar issue involving the Mississippi and the legacy of MRGO (not salmon, obvs).

Edited by Bateshorn

9 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Without knowing more, that sounds right.  My wife is working on a similar issue involving the Mississippi and the legacy of MRGO.

If this is what he's talking about, it just goes to show he only picks up bits-and-pieces of the things that people tell him in briefings, does ZERO homework and just spit out things he thinks he remembers at weird fucking times.

10 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I have been meaning to fact-check this.  This article seems to explain the issue. https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/water-and-drought/article240448876.html

Because of drought in the upper San Joaquin delta, less water has been diverted from the river to support salmon and the delta smelt.  That water ends up in SF Bay.

The "rationing" part is overstated.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

If this is what he's talking about, it just goes to show he only picks up bits-and-pieces of the things that people tell him in briefings, does ZERO homework and just spit out things he thinks he remembers at weird fucking times.

He does it because he works. The average American doesn't think past a bumper sticker catchphrase. We are a nation of idiots mostly incapable of critical thinking. So that explanation means nothing to them. "Dems wasting water on little fishez lulz" works. Because they are idiots.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

People think of all elected officials as rich, and increasingly a lot of them bring some money to DC with them, but the salary, while a lot by fly over state terms, is kinda paltry by DC standards.

Yeah, I was jarred a while back by one of my flyover country aunts’ posts on FB. I forget the exact wording, but the basic point was that congressmen are out of touch wealthy elites because they earn $174k/year.