CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

can I get @Muy Frio  to comment on this? He was SO. SURE. that children would be just fine with full-blown COVID. Just would like a mea culpa and owning that you've been shilling shit medical advice.

200.gif

18 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Hard to argue with that logic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Seriously. Walk in coughing and casually mention you should really get a COVID test.

April or May of 2020, I doing some work on one of our cars.  I had to go to O'Reilly's to get a few things, so I grabbed my mask and whatnot and headed there.

It was early morning, and there was one other car in the lot, so I felt the coast was clear.  

I'm inside and I turn down an aisle.  The other customer was at the end of the aisle, and he was studying whatever it was he had in his hand intently and didn't see me.

I had to cough, so I did.  That poor son of a bitch froze instantly.  He looked up, saw me, put down whatever it was and retreated to another aisle like I was carrying the plague.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Replied to his post to cite Harrington

From a purely pragmatic perspective, it’s good news for everyone that some influential conservative figures are beginning to act as “coolers” in relation to pandemic holdouts by encouraging vaccination – even if the “coolers” have often been, as in Goffman’s theory, complicit in the con. The call back to reality has to come from inside the house.

But there are still too few Fox News hosts and Republican politicians encouraging vaccination, masking and other Covid precautions. We need more “coolers” – and we need them quickly.

39 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/snake-venom-may-tool-fight-213806525.html

Here’s the next thing, anti-vaxxers!  Get out there and start finding your venomous snakes!  They won’t be biting you on their own!

Somebody will try this in Bolsanaro's Brazil (where snek lives). That is not a good idea. But this could be Swayze's chance to grift the idiots??? They could not tell a jararacussu snek from any other kind, so the COVID-curing snek handler could bring whatever kinds they want.

But actually, this is interesting and possibly good news. Something in snek venom could be a possible treatment, it interferes with the coronavirus. Scientists have isolated the protein that has the effect, sequenced it, and now do not need snek anymore to get more. If this does work, it is still years from being a drug, but I'm happy with every chance we get.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Somebody will try this in Bolsanaro's Brazil (where snek lives). That is not a good idea. But this could be Swayze's chance to grift the idiots??? They could not tell a jararacussu snek from any other kind, so the COVID-curing snek handler could bring whatever kinds they want.

But actually, this is interesting and possibly good news. Something in snek venom could be a possible treatment, it interferes with the coronavirus. Scientists have isolated the protein that has the effect, sequenced it, and now do not need snek anymore to get more. If this does work, it is still years from being a drug, but I'm happy with every chance we get.

Ok mr. buzzkill. 
I was going to have 1 of those snakes in a pit and have 2 antivaxxers fighting to see who could get bit 1st. 
Surly be surrounding cage, betting on winner (loser). 
Weekend shot to shit now. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Ok mr. buzzkill. 
I was going to have 1 of those snakes in a pit and have 2 antivaxxers fighting to see who could get bit 1st. 
Surly be surrounding cage, betting on winner (loser). 
Weekend shot to shit now. 

But you can use any kind of snek you want, the idiots can't tell if it is the right snek. You could use a garter snake, and set up the fight just the same.

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  It's as simple as this.

Against any attack, the smartest strategy is to take easy and effective measures that deter the attackers (vaccines).  As part of that strategy, you also  engage in secondary measures that prevent attackers from getting through (masks, distancing, etc. as may be helpful).  Then, as a LAST LINE OF DEFENSE, you have a plan to take out the attackers who get through (therapies). 

The problem is not trying therapies.  Doctors desperately want therapies that work.  The problem is that the dominant conversation about all therapies 1) has embedded in it some magical thinking that it presents a miracle cure that will obviate the need for anything else (see HCQ and ivermectin discussions -- go to Texags if you want to see how those go), and 2) that therapies are pushed as a SUBSTITUTE for vaccines and any other mitigating measures.

When the message is "take ivermectin, that's all you need, masks and vaccines are a commie plot," then yeah, that's a shit message that's literally gotten a lot of people killed.  If the message was what Jimmy just posted above......there wouldn't be any resistance to it at all.

*Positive scientific community outreach from the top down in January 2020, would have of saved millions of lives worldwide.

That guy was scared and greedy just like he was about the Afghanistan War. FUCK him.

image.png.d17468abf371430dc8d52cde8478f413.png

Edited by brakeman
4.52 million deaths.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Just following your bad-argument lead. I’ll try not to let it happen again.

This thread makes me grumpy because I don’t believe those who say they are hoping for alternative therapies (based on how they pounce on any discussion of such or any skepticism about our current approach), and I worry that the current vaccines aren’t going to end the pandemic (despite being the best option we currently have).

I’ll go back to the guitar threads for awhile.

I like your takes on music but I think you should.

Edited by brakeman
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Nursing is one of those fields with a wide spectrum of intelligence. You have some who could have easily aced their way through med school and just didn’t want to go that route for whatever reason. And then you have a bunch who are dumb as rocks. 

In pretty much all nursing homes the nurses have the lowest vaccination rates when comparing patients, doctors, and nurses.  Hospitals are more tricky to compare for a variety of reasons.  Nursing homes can track things much better with patients living there etc.

It’s sad because the day I got my first vaccine I had at least a couple dozen janitors, kitchen staff, admin people join me who had said no - because the moron Director of Nursing was spewing pure bullshit.  And I was like wtf are you people saying no for?  If only I could stop seeing patients to go around being a belligerent, loudmouth asshole to convince the masses…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 hours ago, Pods said:

Seems the FDA may have been the hold up on vaccines for under 12 and booster shots, both of which are badly overdue in my opinion. The people that will replace them in these positions will be highly qualified. Hopefully, the replacements will be quicker to respond to changing data. 

More regarding the departures at the FDA. While we are in total agreement regarding the lack of agility of the FDA, losing the top two people at CBER may very well only further draw out the process for a pediatric EUA. The issues here are institutional, imo.

And we've come full circle from people losing their minds when the Trump Administration was pushing the FDA to move quicker, to now the Biden Administration front-running the regulators. I suppose that the view from the inside is a bit different when it's not just campaign trail rhetoric. The CDC decision in May to not collect data on breakthrough infections is looking to be a real shit the bed moment, as lack of these data appear to be impacting decision making wrt boosters. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/31/biden-booster-plan-fda-508149

Biden's top-down booster plan sparks anger at FDA

Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock sent a memo Tuesday evening to vaccine regulators, reiterating her support as frustration over the process spreads within their ranks.

The Biden administration’s decisions over when to administer coronavirus vaccine boosters are triggering turmoil within the Food and Drug Administration, frustrating regulators and sparking fear that political pressures will once again override the agency’s expertise.

FDA officials are scrambling to collect and analyze data that clearly demonstrate the boosters' benefits before the administration’s Sept. 20 deadline for rolling them out to most adults. Many outside experts, and some within the agency, see uncomfortable similarities between the Biden team's top-down booster plan and former President Donald Trump's attempts to goad FDA into accelerating its initial authorization process for Covid-19 vaccines and push through unproven virus treatments.

On Tuesday, two top FDA vaccine regulators resigned — a decision that one former official said was rooted in anger over the agency’s lack of autonomy in the booster planning so far. A current health official said the pair, Marion Gruber and Philip Krause, left over differences with FDA’s top vaccine official Peter Marks. Now the agency is facing a potential mutiny among its staff and outside vaccine advisers, several of whom feel cut out of key decisions and who view the plan to offer boosters to all adults as premature and unnecessary.

POLITICO spoke to 11 current and former health officials and people familiar with the matter who described growing exasperation with the administration's disjointed process for implementing its booster plan. Those sources said there is little coordination between federal health agencies, even as two top FDA officials try to guide the rollout.

Woodcock and Marks were instrumental in crafting an Aug. 18 statement from HHS officials on the Sept. 20 booster timeline, said one senior official. That person said that the timeline was informed in part by Woodcock and Marks’ estimation of when they would get key data from vaccine makers, but also could shift based on new data, echoing the joint statement.

Another senior health official with direct knowledge of the situation said that political appointees within the White House largely steered the mid-August booster announcement

By contrast, Biden came into office promising that scientists would lead these decisions and messaging, not the White House — a pledge driven in large part by the politicization of vaccines and other public health measures leading up to the election.

But the president may be regretting that pledge after witnessing the slow pace with data crunching by CDC, the public health agency marshaling vast amounts of information on vaccine performance, including the likelihood of breakthrough infections, another former Trump official said.

While the agency has released five studies in recent weeks — some showing fading immunity among health care workers and more breakthroughs than previously recorded — other Biden officials say they are waiting anxiously for a collection of state data that many expect will provide more definitive evidence that breakthrough infections are much higher than previously thought.

The CDC has worked with a small group of state health departments over the past two months to collect data on breakthrough cases, including mild infections. Multiple participating state health departments said they submitted their data weeks ago, but two senior CDC officials told POLITICO they are still gathering and analyzing the information.

The concerns over CDC's pace could color the coming decisions about vaccinating young children against Covid-19. As the agency that collects data on infections and hospitalization in kids, CDC is positioned to give FDA the clearest picture of how quickly it should move to make vaccines available to children under 12.

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I'd take his comment with a large grain of salt.

That said, I'd be very curious to see the numbers and if any tangible damage is being done to the hard core GOP electorate. This would require a cross section of voting records and public health data that is highly unlikely to occur due to (legitimate) privacy concerns. 

I am anti-thinking-about-voting-consequences-of-COVID.  I think it leads to way too much cynicism and very little good.  The total deaths are a fifth of a percent of the country.  Not a lot of elections are decided on those margins, and that is even assuming every single one of the deaths represents a voter of the same party.

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'd take his comment with a large grain of salt.

That said, I'd be very curious to see the numbers and if any tangible damage is being done to the hard core GOP electorate. This would require a cross section of voting records and public health data that is highly unlikely to occur due to (legitimate) privacy concerns. 

I guarantee you it's hurting Republicans in Florida.  The gap there is small enough where 50K - 60K covid deaths has the chance to swing elections.

Edited by kevwun
  • Drool 1