Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

6 hours ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

I don't know much about his baseball skills but I really doubt he's one of the 30 best center fielders in the world. 

I bet he's one of the best 30 quarterbacks in the world. 

It seems he'd make more money playing football.

If I knew baseball  I would not be posting on a message board but I really did not think he was all that good in college.  He was much better at college football.  I guess I get that he was drafted on potential.  I give him his due in football but I have also never seen someone so good at not getting hit.  

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

If I knew baseball  I would not be posting on a message board but I really did not think he was all that good in college.  He was much better at college football.  I guess I get that he was drafted on potential.  I give him his due in football but I have also never seen someone so good at not getting hit.  

This is the real question.  I remember reading there the OU baseball coaches were surprised he got drafted that high.  They expected some mid round pick but it was high first.  Maybe Murray is self aware enough to know he was overdrafted in baseball but he can play in the NFL and the early money there is better.  The risk with baseball is he takes that route and never makes it big in the show.

6 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I think signability is a big factor in baseball draft

Russell Wilson is damn near 5'11 barefoot with orangutan arms and arm strength for days. He's also got a pretty stout frame.

Kyler Murray is a between 5'9 and 5'10 with shoes with average arm length and above average arm strength. I'm not sure he can put on much mass either.

He's elusive as hell, but he's still gonna get hit, and it isn't going to be pretty. It'll be fun to watch on replay though.

Edited by Atticus
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He might be, but he might not be. Throwing in the NFL is a lot different than throwing with 5 seconds to stand around in a clean pocket because your OL is five times better than nearly every DL you play. Perhaps you remember Keenum and Smith from college where they looked a shitload better throwing the ball than they do in the NFL.

Hell, just look at his numbers at A&M compared to the numbers at Oklahoma.

image.png

You have to attribute at least some of that to the natural progression of a true freshman to a college junior/senior though.

Edited by Helobious

Kyler will be a first round draft pick. Teams will be afraid to miss out on the next possible Russell Wilson or Baker Mayfield. The NFL is completely about not being left behind and has a major case of FOMO. It's the reason a mediocre college coach like Kingsbury who's had success at talent evaluation and development of one guy is now head coach of an NFL team. 

• Like 2

NFL QBs seem safer than college QBs these days.  You can't sack them at their legs.  You can't hit them in the head.  You can't take them to the ground.  The league isn't what it once was.

Kyler Murray annoys me and OU sucks, but everything that was said about why he wouldn't succeed this year at OU is now going to be said about why he won't succeed in the NFL. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't care what he's listed out, no way is Murray close to 6'0" or even 5'9" or 5'10".

Arm strength and accuracy aren't a concern, but as Huckleberry noted, composure might be. He fell into the perfect situation with OU and got to spend a season behind a gifted OL. It's pretty clear he doesn't like contact (who can blame him?), but he's not going to be able to avoid it at the next level, no matter how fast his feet are.

Even if he turns out to be a bust, he's less of a reach than many others who've gone before him.

It's been said here but I watched him plenty as a baseball player and, well... he wasn't anything special. He was maybe the 4th or 5th best player on OU's team. Never understood the baseball hype. I would love to watch him get cornholed a few times in the NFL before he was relegated to his ultimate career path of being a backup backup. 

8 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

It's been said here but I watched him plenty as a baseball player and, well... he wasn't anything special. He was maybe the 4th or 5th best player on OU's team. Never understood the baseball hype.

They love players that have potential to be 5 tool types. I do agree though. Murray was a total project as a baseball player. 

They love players that have potential to be 5 tool types. I do agree though. Murray was a total project as a baseball player. 

He’s a project that could make the majors simply because of his speed and defense. He might not ever amount to more than that, but those two tools are enough to get him there.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:20 PM, Machinator said:

Losing at least three, waiting on Bobby Evans to announce.

On 1/3/2019 at 3:04 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Evans is coming back. Kyler Murray is not, GMAFB.

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Whoops.

If 4 out of your 5 OLs are gone, then you don't want to be around to absorb the punishment as a new OL gels in front of you.

He gone!

24 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

As talented as Kyler is, he would fail in the NFL. We saw how well he was against Bama, and dudes in the NFL are bigger and faster. Just another wasted draft pick. Shocker. 

giphy.gif

Without his best WR and best RB (lost way early in the season), he still accounted for 417 yards and 3 TDs with no turnovers.... He was the leading passer and rusher.  Completion percentage was meh but he was pretty effective with at 139.1 rating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

giphy.gif

Without his best WR and best RB (lost way early in the season), he still accounted for 417 yards and 3 TDs with no turnovers.... He was the leading passer and rusher.  Completion percentage was meh but he was pretty effective with at 139.1 rating.

Like I said, he's talented, but the NFL is a different animal, especially for a kid who's 5'9. I guess we'll see. I wonder who would draft him? Probably Kliff. 

I figured that hit by #92 from bama would have knocked the NFL out of him. Because that's what he will get every fucking Sunday. 

NFL qbs are protected more, and he definitely knows how to slide, but the reason he gets so much pocket time is because of his running threat. That time will be cut in half in the NFL and the height of the linemen goes up by about 3 or 4 inches. 

Mack or Donald break him in half. Suh would pick him up from a slide and drop him over his knee like it was WWF. 

He is talented. No question. But he was lucky to not get hurt this year. If fucking RGIII can't stay healthy, the leader of the lollipop guild has no fucking prayer. 

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Huh?  What do you mean?  

Seriously? You think grown men are going to look at him in a huddle, feel confident in his poise and abilities, and follow his lead? That doesn't matter at any other position, but it does at quarterback.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Seriously? You think grown men are going to look at him in a huddle, feel confident in his poise and abilities, and follow his lead? That doesn't matter at any other position, but it does at quarterback.

If he can play, then he'll get respect.  If he can't, then he'll struggle with respect.  Now his attitude could possibly turn guys off as there is a sense of entitlement to him but if he shuts his mouth, works hard, has a good attitude and balls then his size won't matter much.  The examples have already been put out there.  Flutie, Wilson, Mayfield, Vick, even Seneca Wallace (who had a nice 8 year backup QB career).  All that matters is if he can play and his speed will play at any level.  I have no idea if he'll succeed, I have some concerns, but I don't think it's because his teammates are gonna roll around on the ground laughing at him when he calls a play in the huddle.

24 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Wonder if the Giants would pick him to go along with Barkley and Beckham?

Possibly.  Washington and/or Miami would be interesting spots.  I also wonder if a forward thinking team like New England would look at him and then, of course, there's..... Oakland.  I sort of want the Raiders (guess I can't call them Oakland anymore) to take him with the Cooper pick.  First, because Gruden will ruin whatever shot he has and second, so we can have some asshole roll around and bitch we could have had Kyler Murray instead of Amari and have endless debates about it.

33 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If he can play, then he'll get respect.  If he can't, then he'll struggle with respect.  Now his attitude could possibly turn guys off as there is a sense of entitlement to him but if he shuts his mouth, works hard, has a good attitude and balls then his size won't matter much.  The examples have already been put out there.  Flutie, Wilson, Mayfield, Vick, even Seneca Wallace (who had a nice 8 year backup QB career).  All that matters is if he can play and his speed will play at any level.  I have no idea if he'll succeed, I have some concerns, but I don't think it's because his teammates are gonna roll around on the ground laughing at him when he calls a play in the huddle.

Wilson is a terrible, terrible comp.  Besides being taller, much, much bigger, and having a better arm, Wilson blew every team away with his maturity, intelligence, and natural leadership/confidence.  If he was 6'2", it would have been a coin flip between he and Andrew Luck as the #1 pick.

An understated part of being an NFL quarterback is looking the part.  And I don't mean that you have to be 6'4", 220.  But you have to be the adult in the room.  In college, the team takes cues from the head coach.  In the NFL, the quarterback has to be a leader, if not the leader.  Grown men are going to be looking at you when things start going sideways.  Sure, Mayfield seems to share some of the immaturity and entitlement and is doing okay...but he's a tough son of a bitch.  He'll put his head down for a first down, get up, and talk shit to the linebacker.  Guys respect that.  Kyler is really going to have to ball the fuck out to make up for his stature, attitude, limited arm, and business decision slides (wise as they may be).

• Like 2