The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

so am i understanding what y'all are saying... every episode or two we're going to meet some compelling new characters with an engaging backstory that we will get emotionally invested in only for them to die by the end of the ep?

oh yay! lol

Maybe? Maybe not?

If you had read all the comments RE: Episode 3, you'd know none of that happened in the game. 

The writers didn't create a 1:1 screenplay adaptation; those of us that know the game continue to be just as surprised as you.

I know nothing about what happens in the game, and I can't imagine you're killing off Joel in the first season so I'm not a fan of giving him a wound like that.  I just don't know how you let him survive a gaping gut wound like that in a way that doesn't strain credulity beyond imagination.

Otherwise, great episode yet again.

Because I'm a geography nerd a couple of things bothered me:

1.  If they walked 8 hours a day at 3 mph, they should have made it into Wyoming in about 40 days.   So why did we flash forward 90 days?

2.  Jackson to Eastern Colorado University would have been a trip southeast.   Assume ECU was supposed to be Colorado State (Fort Collins and right on I-25) or CU (Boulder (15 miles west of I-25).  On horseback in GOOD weather, you'd still only travel about 40 miles a day.   It's 450 miles between Jackson and Ft. Collins.  And they'd be in mountainous terrain for the beginning and end of the trip.  A total nitpick, I know.  

They really wasted Graham Green in that episode.  Would have been great to see Joel and Ellie hang out with the old couple for an episode.   Ellie could learn some stuff about living out there in the middle of the mountains.

Final complaint... Once they got to ECU and it looked deserted with the unmanned guard posts, why wouldn't they get the fuck out of there?  I realize it's staying close to the game but there's no way I'm sticking around once we've realized shit had already hit the fan.   

Get back on the horse and just live out our days in Jackson. Fuck the cure.

14 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

If they walked 8 hours a day at 3 mph, they should have made it into Wyoming in about 40 days.   So why did we flash forward 90 days?

24 mile a day pace is hard for even elite through hikers that have access to food and water resupply and don’t have to worry about zombies eating their faces off when setting up camp. Based on Joel’s footwear alone 24 miles a day would have been impossible. 

I think in a survival scenario 6-12 miles per day depending on terrain, food, water and shelter conditions would be reasonable. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

24 mile a day pace is hard for even elite through hikers that have access to food and water resupply and don’t have to worry about zombies eating their faces off when setting up camp. Based on Joel’s footwear alone 24 miles a day would have been impossible. 

I think in a survival scenario 6-12 miles per day depending on terrain, food, water and shelter conditions would be reasonable. 

I would agree if they were traversing ground like the Rockies the entire way.   But 200+ miles of that was fucking Kansas.

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Because I'm a geography nerd a couple of things bothered me:

1.  If they walked 8 hours a day at 3 mph, they should have made it into Wyoming in about 40 days.   So why did we flash forward 90 days?

2.  Jackson to Eastern Colorado University would have been a trip southeast.   Assume ECU was supposed to be Colorado State (Fort Collins and right on I-25) or CU (Boulder (15 miles west of I-25).  On horseback in GOOD weather, you'd still only travel about 40 miles a day.   It's 450 miles between Jackson and Ft. Collins.  And they'd be in mountainous terrain for the beginning and end of the trip.  A total nitpick, I know.  

They really wasted Graham Green in that episode.  Would have been great to see Joel and Ellie hang out with the old couple for an episode.   Ellie could learn some stuff about living out there in the middle of the mountains.

Final complaint... Once they got to ECU and it looked deserted with the unmanned guard posts, why wouldn't they get the fuck out of there?  I realize it's staying close to the game but there's no way I'm sticking around once we've realized shit had already hit the fan.   

Get back on the horse and just live out our days in Jackson. Fuck the cure.

1. It's a little slower when you don't have a gas station or Buccees to stop and refuel whenever you want. Plus infected, raiders,  and maybe even harmful wildlife to avoid, it's not easy to go fast. Did you notice how Joel didn't know where they were in the cabin? It's hard to make good time without Google maps in a state you've never been to.

2. Again, it takes as long as it takes. Can't always go in straight lines, plenty of things could spook them into avoiding certain areas or buildings. Joel is super smart at surviving because he's cautious and willing to take a long route to avoid confrontation. Everything that happened up to this point should inform you of his character.

3. Yes, please give the writers more feedback so they can write some good TV. Maybe they should hire those Walking Dead guys and write a whole season of them sitting around on a farm having fun. Who doesn't love ample food, shelter, hot water, and movie nights with no sense of fear? Sounds thrilling.

4. They explained in the episode, they were looking for clues as to what happened to the Fireflies. Did they die? No bodies around... Did they leave? Maybe, it looks like they went to SLC, but no idea why. They try to investigate, see bad guys and then gtfo. It's going to happen a lot during this show, avoidance is generally the best option, get used to it. 

5. Again, sitting around the campfire getting fat and having fun is not what this show is about. Comfort is fleeting, it's not the goal of either of the protagonists. It's why they didn't stay more than 1 night and Bill and Frank's Utopia, neither character wants to give up on winning this war like Tommy did. Joel is a man on a mission, to fulfill his promise to Tess, and he's holding out hope that little magic girl's blood can put an end to this crazy virus. If that can be done, then it will all be worth it, and it's worth dying trying.

/Nits unpicked.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 2/16/2023 at 11:02 AM, Tylerocks said:

Started the game last night.  Pretty solid for a 10 year old game.

19 hours ago, NAVY said:

This show just makes plus

My favorite game of the last 20 years and they just keep going plus 

Haven't played the game in over a decade, but the recreation of the ECU/Firefly segment was done so well in every way I was fucking having flashbacks.

5 hours ago, Macanudo said:

They really wasted Graham Green in that episode.

Nitpick. Graham Greene is never a waste.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

1. It's a little slower when you don't have a gas station or Buccees to stop and refuel whenever you want. Plus infected, raiders,  and maybe even harmful wildlife to avoid, it's not easy to go fast. Did you notice how Joel didn't know where they were in the cabin? It's hard to make good time without Google maps in a state you've never been to.

2. Again, it takes as long as it takes. Can't always go in straight lines, plenty of things could spook them into avoiding certain areas or buildings. Joel is super smart at surviving because he's cautious and willing to take a long route to avoid confrontation. Everything that happened up to this point should inform you of his character.

3. Yes, please give the writers more feedback so they can write some good TV. Maybe they should hire those Walking Dead guys and write a whole season of them sitting around on a farm having fun. Who doesn't love ample food, shelter, hot water, and movie nights with no sense of fear? Sounds thrilling.

4. They explained in the episode, they were looking for clues as to what happened to the Fireflies. Did they die? No bodies around... Did they leave? Maybe, it looks like they went to SLC, but no idea why. They try to investigate, see bad guys and then gtfo. It's going to happen a lot during this show, avoidance is generally the best option, get used to it. 

5. Again, sitting around the campfire getting fat and having fun is not what this show is about. Comfort is fleeting, it's not the goal of either of the protagonists. It's why they didn't stay more than 1 night and Bill and Frank's Utopia, neither character wants to give up on winning this war like Tommy did. Joel is a man on a mission, to fulfill his promise to Tess, and he's holding out hope that little magic girl's blood can put an end to this crazy virus. If that can be done, then it will all be worth it, and it's worth dying trying.

/Nits unpicked.

Uh, on your 2nd point....  Then why the hell did they go through KC?

9 hours ago, Macanudo said:They really wasted Graham Green in that episode.  Would have been great to see Joel and Ellie hang out with the old couple for an episode.   Ellie could learn some stuff about living out there in the middle of the mountains.

Well, you’ve basically seen our survival plan. Cabin was about the right size too.

My wife and I are enjoying this show so far. Hope it finishes strong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Uh, on your 2nd point....  Then why the hell did they go through KC?

He talked about that when they hit the blockade on the highway. He didn't want to go through the city, but he didn't want to have to back track significantly to go around it. Going through town was a gamble that didn't work out. Boston to KC is a long way, and they made it that far without much incident (in the show at least). Probably not the first time they had to take a risky avenue.

I’m really enjoying the show but nitpicking is what we do here so:

It’s been months, why not rest up a few days in Jackson before pushing on? They had to have been exhausted and malnourished.

Why was it either/or on which brother went? If it was just a week each way why didn’t they both go to protect the most valuable thing on the planet?

The scenes from next week look… less appealing.

• Hook 'Em 2

Didn’t play the vidya game but was thinking on the vax after an edible. It only prevents infection but won’t stop an infected from ripping a person to shreds. ultimately it stomps out the virus eventually so all good. Is that right? 

also, can the fungi survive that cold of temps in the mountain winter?

14 minutes ago, bluto said:

Didn’t play the vidya game but was thinking on the vax after an edible. It only prevents infection but won’t stop an infected from ripping a person to shreds. ultimately it stomps out the virus eventually so all good. Is that right? 

also, can the fungi survive that cold of temps in the mountain winter?

Fungus can live anywhere.   Hence, Barry Switzer still lives.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

On 2/20/2023 at 1:11 PM, wild_turkey said:

Well in the game Joel would definitely be flashing red right now but he’s still alive and has time to press the big center button and craft a health kit (assuming they have 1 rag and 1 water), then he would need to press Up and R2 and he would be good again.

But yeah, I’m curious how they resolve this.

Never played the game, but maybe they saved their last check point before he got shanked.  Restart console, go back to saved point, don't get shanked by bum.

1 hour ago, lateshow said:

Do you even Narcos, bro? 

I was watching The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent on plane this morning.  Haven't finished it yet, but he is quite funny in this and stands up to Nic Cage in the self-aware overacting category.  It has been funny thus far, but I think I am predicting the ending and will have disappoint. 

• Hook 'Em 2