2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

AP waiting until lead gets over 0.5% recall threshold out of 6.5 million ballots, or margin of 32,500 

If it were just mail in ballots they’d call it but there are potentially 100k+ provisional ballots that could go either way. 

i expect that they’ll tip at least slightly in Biden’s favor but I understand why they haven’t called it. 

24 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

To quote my business partner who is from Durango, Mexico, concerning an unrelated matter...."I don't give a fuck"

Yesterday that piece of excrement was calling for jihad. Fuck him. His routine gave us a turd like Trump to begin with.

Enjoying drowning, dickhead.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Philly has taken down:

• King George
  • Ivan Drago
  • Tom Brady
  • donald trump

pretty good resume, imo

Been waiting for gif of the final round of Rocky 4 with Biden and Trump's heads over Rocky and Drago. You know it's coming. I guess the only hesitation would be that's pretty disrespectful to Drago.

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:

It never dawned on me, but that is exactly what he is doing. Flood the zone and overwhelm the other party with legal fees and continuous responses to motions. If it's frivolous, who cares? You'll just end up in a conference room and finish it there. There is no flooding the zone in this case, though. You can't force a State to the conference table to give you what you want. You have to fight it out to the bitter end and to do that, you need to shore up your position as best you can before you engage. I'm just surprised that the attorneys of Republican PACs who are seasoned in this type of litigation jump out there and slow Trump's roll. Just look at Ted Cruz. He clerked for a Supreme Court Chief Justice and played a large role in Bush v. Gore. Did he even make a phone call to a Trump legal team? The possible silence from Cruz here would be insanely interesting for a political historian to dig into a decade from now.

Keeping Trump busy with his litigation for 4-5 weeks is the best thing for the country. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Total clown show in Nevada. Thank God this is getting resolved in PA today. 

It should be won in PA. NV and AZ might be nice, but if the US were a city, PA would be part of the historic downtown. Valley Forge, Gettysburg. PA's got roots. NV and AZ are new strip malls out by the interstate.

According to the Allegheny County executive the GOP led state legislature went to the PA governor twice demanding concessions in exchange for the ability to pre-canvas mail in ballots, twice the governor made those concessions and twice the legislature came back and said no. GOP, ladies and gentlemen. 

Prayer for a Would-Be Pharaoh After Exodus 14:28

- by Margaret Anne Ernst

I hope you don’t just lose
I hope that every wall you built
crumbles into the stardust
that we’ll rub on each other’s foreheads
next year to say, “We are beloved”

I hope you don’t just lose
but that the only voices
you’ll be allowed to listen to
are the testimonies of every farmworker
you tried to deport
while you learn to chop tomatoes
and to say thank you to the earth

I hope that if there is a hell
and if you are destined for it
that it looks like standing at the wedding
of every trans and queer person
you permitted to be deemed unhuman
while you licked your lips
clean of your own lecherous sins

I hope that this place is not hell
but recognition,
that there is a g-d
who changed everything
you tried to do to us
into a seed
such that every vile order
and every hotheaded tweet
have become the spices
with which we will make jambalaya
on the day you fall
from power

I hope you will know there still is invitation
to you, and everyone who rides in your chariots
into the feeling of what “together” means.
Into the feeling of what “future” is.
Into the hospitality of “never too late,”
to live as if this world is for all of us

And I hope, Mr. President, if you drown
in a sea of your making
it is watered with repentance tears
because we are too beautiful
for even you not to cry over.

But if none of this comes true
if you remain committed
to smallness and fallacy
as your daily bread,
I pray that you get out the way
so that we may forget you.
So we no longer wake with the bitter taste
of your slurred names for us in our throats
so that forever more all that we taste
is hope
is possibility
is peace.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:

It never dawned on me, but that is exactly what he is doing. Flood the zone and overwhelm the other party with legal fees and continuous responses to motions. If it's frivolous, who cares? You'll just end up in a conference room and finish it there. There is no flooding the zone in this case, though. You can't force a State to the conference table to give you what you want. You have to fight it out to the bitter end and to do that, you need to shore up your position as best you can before you engage. I'm just surprised that the attorneys of Republican PACs who are seasoned in this type of litigation jump out there and slow Trump's roll. Just look at Ted Cruz. He clerked for a Supreme Court Chief Justice and played a large role in Bush v. Gore. Did he even make a phone call to a Trump legal team? The possible silence from Cruz here would be insanely interesting for a political historian to dig into a decade from now.

You must have missed ted Cruz on Hannity last night saying that all options up to and including invalidating the pa election should be on the table. 

How to bring Trumpers back into civilized society - Dean Baker (Economist). 

Worth a read in full - but the key takeaway:

If we want to reach out to non-college-educated workers, who may have supported Trump, a really good first step would be to acknowledge that their poor prospects in the economy were the result of design. It might still be good for them, as an individual matter, to get more skill and education, but as a group they are hurting because people in power wanted to redistribute income upward.” 

Spoiler

Here is a conventional story that dominates economic and policy discussions, in which people without college degrees (still a majority of the workforce) have lost out because they don’t have the right skills to prosper in today’s high-tech global economy.

That is nonsense. The high-tech global economy was deliberately structured to redistribute income away from workers without college degrees to those at the top.

In terms of the impact of globalization, our trade deals were quite explicitly designed to make it as easy as possible for U.S. manufacturers to locate their operations anywhere in the world and to then import what they produce back to the United States. This put U.S. manufacturing workers in direct competition with low-paid workers in the developing world. This had the predicted and actual effect of putting downward pressure on the wages of manufacturing workers and on non-college-educated workers more generally.

There was nothing natural about taking globalization in this direction. We could have focused on making it easier for highly educated professionals in the developing world, like doctors and dentists, to train to our standards, and then practice in the United States. This would have put downward pressure on the pay of our most highly paid workers.

Putting highly paid professionals in the United States in direct competition with their counterparts in the developing world have led to the same sort of gains from trade that economists always tout in pushing trade deals. However, in this case, the losers from globalization would be the most highly-educated workers. (I discuss this at more length in chapter 7 of Rigged [it’s free].)

There is a similar story with the impact of technology. The huge sums going to the tech sector, and the stockholders and workers in it, are almost entirely due to the government-granted patent and copyright monopolies that allow them to charge prices far above the free market price.

Here too, economists do a great act of not-seeing. If you suggest that we get rid of patents and copyrights, they will all jump up and down and insist that people would then have no incentive to innovate and do creative work. But somehow, they avoid the unavoidable implication, the amount of incentive that we provide with these government-granted monopolies is entirely due to policy choices. We can make patents and copyrights shorter and weaker, or longer or stronger, as we have done. There are also alternative mechanisms for financing innovation and creative work. (I talk about this issue in chapter 5 of Rigged.) If we had gone the route of providing less incentive, then less money would have been redistributed upward from people without college degrees to the tech sector.   

With almost no exceptions, the people you see in policy debates ignore these basic facts about income distribution in the modern economy. While they may support measures to help non-college-educated workers, they almost invariably treat their fate as an unfortunate outcome of natural developments, as opposed to a deliberate design by those who held power.

If we want to reach out to non-college-educated workers, who may have supported Trump, a really good first step would be to acknowledge that their poor prospects in the economy were the result of design. It might still be good for them, as an individual matter, to get more skill and education, but as a group they are hurting because people in power wanted to redistribute income upward.

Reversing this upward redistribution is a long and complicated story that I write about all the time. A big part of the picture is reversing the policies that led to this upward redistribution. My favorite place to start is to move away from the patent monopoly financing of the development of prescription drugs.

If drugs were sold in a free market, it would save us more than $400 billion a year on drug spending. That comes to more than $3,000 a year for an average family. It would also eliminate the perverse incentives created by patent monopolies, like pushing opioids by falsely claiming they are not addictive.

Anyhow, we can start by having President Biden invoke Section 1498 of the Commercial Code, a provision commonly used in defense contracting, which allows the president to essentially over-ride a patent, while compensating the patent holder. Biden can do this for a number of expensive drugs, say some of the cancer drugs selling for more than $100k a year, so people can see what they would cost selling as free market generics.

https://cepr.net/donald-trump-and-being-deplorable/

• Like 1

Biden is up 0.2% or 13,374 votes in PA. 

AP said they won't call it until he passes the 0.5% or 32,500 votes. 

(Narrator: The overwhelming majority of uncounted votes are coming in for Biden)

Why the haven't called Nevada? No fucking idea. I suspect is AP/Fox wont' call Nevada because they called AZ too early and NV gives Biden 270, and if AZ is within a recount scenario, Trump's legal bullshit challenges will just drag things down, so they're waiting until a defensible position to call PA & NV together basically to make any AZ recount irrelevant. Same with Georgia. 

edit: AZ triggers automatic recount at equal or less than 0.1% (Neither candidate nor voters can directly request a recount in AZ).

Edited by Neonmoon

3 minutes ago, heso said:

You must have missed ted Cruz on Hannity last night saying that all options up to and including invalidating the pa election should be on the table. 

I'm sure Cruz is doing the circuit and complaining and saying what Trump COULD do, but what we haven't seen is Cruz, with extensive experience in election litigation, offer any legal insight as to how Trump can succeed. Nor does it seems like Cruz is hitting his rolodex and getting a coalition of legal hitters together to properly challenge the election. For example, I really want to know who recommended the Michigan attorney that slid that hot plate of garbage in front of the courts.

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I'm sure Cruz is doing the circuit and complaining and saying what Trump COULD do, but what we haven't seen is Cruz, with extensive experience in election litigation, offer any legal insight as to how Trump can succeed. Nor does it seems like Cruz is hitting his rolodex and getting a coalition of legal hitters together to properly challenge the election. For example, I really want to know who recommended the Michigan attorney that slid that hot plate of garbage in front of the courts.

Fair point. I guess exactly what you’d expect him to do is pound his fist on the table on tv while doing nothing to actively assist in the fiasco.