2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

No, I think they understand just fine.  They just don't care.

homelander is the perfect comparison for trump. needs the adulation from the people, but inside, he's a terribly broken insecure person who is capable of great evil in order to fill the hole in his soul. but still, he's got the suit and the cape, so the people cheer him on.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

If they are not going forward with lawsuits, which were not their best bet to win anyway, they are going on to their next Hail Mary. I figure they have the electors next and then whatever final measure to maintain power that is not yet known. The man might even try and executive order.

30 minutes ago, kevwun said:

No, I think they understand just fine.  They just don't care.

I think they know, and they care, and they like him for what he represents in the show. A literal white supremacist who hates meddling libruls. He's an antihero to them, like the "Thanos was right" people who think extermination of half the population is a good idea.

55 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That Robert Reich video got me curious, so I looked up the top 10 cities by MSA population -- 25% of the American people live in those 10 areas.

Exactly.  It's why if the Trump/Republican strategy were a consumer product strategy, it would be laughed out of the room.  Literally.  People would laugh if you wanted to double down on older, white, rural consumer segments.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Exactly.  It's why if the Trump/Republican strategy were a consumer product strategy, it would be laughed out of the room.  Literally.  People would laugh if you wanted to double down on older, white, rural consumer segments.

Sure, but it's not. It's a power acquisition/retention strategy and it makes sense. And Democrats have played right into it and destroyed the Republican disincentive for bad governance along the way.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

Sure, but it's not. It's a power acquisition strategy and it makes sense.

But only to a point even with the electoral college.  They'll forever have a built in advantage with the Senate but even these formally rural states like GA, TX and NC are going to be dominated by big urban markets.

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

under the current system, blue states are gonna take a hit when the 2020 numbers are tallied. sucks. 

If you lower the population to rep ratio by adding reps and districts, how would that look on a statewide elector college map?  

places like Texas add a bunch of blue districts, which means more red EC votes for president?

Related:  if every state split their EV by district, would that by default mirror the popular vote, or is there still some play within that framework?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
Since we haven’t started the “end the EC” thread yet

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If you lower the population to rep ratio by adding reps and districts, how would that look on a statewide elector college map?  

places like Texas add a bunch of blue districts, which means more red EC votes for president?

Related:  if every state split their EV by district, would that by default mirror the popular vote, or is there still some play within that framework?

The play in that framework are the 2 statewide electors that represent the Senate. This would still be geared toward minority rule, albeit less so than the current system. 

The EC is simply a stupid system. If we want states, rather than people, to pick the President, then we should just do that instead. This is compounded by the charade of electors being people themselves and being selected to vote a certain way. We could at least ditch that part of the nonsense and just start counting "virtual" electors that automatically "vote" based on the real vote without having them be appointed. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The play in that framework are the 2 statewide electors that represent the Senate. This would still be geared toward minority rule, albeit less so than the current system. 

Forgot about those. Maybe those could be awarded by a vote in the state leg?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

So for legal dummies like myself, are we seeing suits being pulled because the lawyers know they’re pushing blatant lies and do not want to risk heavy reprimands or disbarment?

Yes. Most likely. The only other possibility I can think of is that the suits are also moot—I.e. the number of votes at issue is far less than Biden’s margin of victory so the judge’s decision can’t possibly matter anyway.

48 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Just like Idiocracy, something that was a completely over the top joke in the 90s is now so much closer to reality. 

Also I always like to point out how dead on they were making fun of Toby Keith and his post 9/11 bullshit pandering money grab 4 years before the fact. 

53 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Just reapportion Congress so the places with more people get more EVs.

This.

Since EC votes apportioned to each state are based upon the number of representatives that state is apportioned in the HOR, then I think the EC issues are resolved once the HOR is more accurately apportioned according to population. Expanding and/or reapportioning the House is long overdue. However, expanding/reapportioning in an accurate and fair way will be an obvious problem since it will be politicized like crazy. If you follow national, and even state, elections at all, you would understand that republicans obviously have a vested interest in skewing representation in this country. No easy fix for this problem.

Edited by Jabberwocky

23 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

This.

Since EC votes apportioned to each state are based upon the number of representatives that state is apportioned in the HOR, then I think the EC issues are resolved once the HOR is more accurately apportioned according to population. Expanding and/or reapportioning the House is long overdue. However, expanding/reapportioning in an accurate and fair way will be an obvious problem since it will be politicized like crazy. If you follow national, and even state, elections at all, you would understand that republicans obviously have a vested interest in skewing representation in this country. No easy fix for this problem.

Sure there is- Democrats need to expand their coalition.

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

So my Sri Lankan friend just asked if the democracy that saw Joe Biden receive 5 million more votes than his opponent has been declared him the winner yet. 

Tell your smart-mouthed Sri Lankan friend he can go back to Russia if he doesn’t like the electoral college!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/14/2020 at 5:38 PM, achooloco said:

So, maybe for the bet thread but I got betonline sitting on my pay stub bet and wondering when the fuck they’ll pay. Dec 14? When Trump concedes? On Jan 20? Bastards 

On 11/14/2020 at 9:49 PM, shakahorn said:

I’m in the same boat with betonline. They paid off on pubs win FL -175 but still holding out on dems winning AZ, MI, and PA. Also holding out on Biden winning EC and popular vote. Those should all be scored already if they scored FL. Also waiting on dems sweep. Not sure what happens there if the senate ends up 50/50.

Hey I got paid on AZ! Sure seems like MI is an easier call than AZ but it's not like you can argue with betonline.

18 hours ago, Brandywine said:

Is Trump even capable of telling the truth? Has he ever been able to tell the truth?

no, and this a big factor in why Trump has enjoyed unprecedented support among Republicans.  to self identify as a Republican, or to vote for or support Republicans requires one to be fundamentally dishonest with ones self and with others.  

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, SameSame said:

So for legal dummies like myself, are we seeing suits being pulled because the lawyers know they’re pushing blatant lies and do not want to risk heavy reprimands or disbarment?

And is that why Rudy is now in charge?  Because he's literally the only lawyer shameless enough and stupid enough to continue this charade?

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And is that why Rudy is now in charge?  Because he's literally the only lawyer shameless enough and stupid enough to continue this charade?

Pretty much.

And if this take is accurate, then this really isn't about overturning the results at all - but rather to simply raise money for Trump's legal defenses once he leaves office.

This is why he refuses to admit defeat. The longer the president drags this out, the longer he can continue to raise money.

According the Federal Election Commission, "In several advisory opinions the Commission has said that campaign funds may be used to pay for up to 100 percent of legal expenses related to campaign or officeholder activity, where such expenses would not have occurred had the individual not been a candidate or officeholder." And there is no shortage of possible legal challenges for Trump — most notably those initiated by the New York County district attorney and the New York state attorney general.

I am so thrilled tonight!

I spoke with my mom and asked her how my dad was taking the election.

She said after every network declared Biden the winner, he turned off Fox News and said “Well, glad that’s over. Trump needs to be a gentleman and concede. Biden will be okay, thank goodness it isn’t Hillary.”

And this man, who has mainlined Fox News for four years HASN’T TURNED IT ON AT ALL THIS WHOLE WEEK!!!

My mom helped him discover he could watch recent college football games on PPV and rewatch classic sports on different ESPN channels. He had no idea those things existed and he’s been like a giddy kid watching old school games.

He told her that he’s tired of watching news all the time - he thinks it just made him angry. He’s decided to just watch an hour of - GASP - CNN with his coffee to catch the headlines and then no more news for the day. He said he’s been happier since he cut out the 24-7 news watching.

He wants her to show him how to work other stuff like Netflix and Hulu.

I cried when she told me “I feel like my husband is returning to normal.”

Things may still be awful and crazy on a macro level but I feel like a heavy, sad weight has been lifted off me.
Just catching up
Buy this post made me super happy and I don't even know you.

Maybe we will see a cooling in all the division in some cases at least. I can at least pretend today

The President can pardon any federal crimes, past, present or future.  What remains unclear is whether or not he can do so for himself.

This. And if anyone thinks a Court with Barrett, Gorsuch, Kav, Alito, and Thomas on it is voiding a pardon issued by trump to himself, well I got a bridge for ya.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The President can pardon any federal crimes, past, present or future.  What remains unclear is whether or not he can do so for himself.

5 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

This. And if anyone thinks a Court with Barrett, Gorsuch, Kav, Alito, and Thomas on it is voiding a pardon issued by trump to himself, well I got a bridge for ya.

Arg this is so fucking stupid.  This should be laughed out of court within seconds.  Of course, it's 2020 and there is no god, so apparently it might actually play.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Why do any of them care about him now?  There's a reason Hulk Hogan hated putting other wrestlers over. 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Alot of the NY stuff happened before he was President though, didn't it?  It was uncovered because he was President, but the crimes themselves had nothing to do with the office.

Yep almost all of it happened before he was President. But he has not stopped committing fraud since becoming President.  And he has also already been smacked down in court for claiming that everything he does now falls under the scope of the Presidency. So he can probably still be charged in state courts for state crimes he is committing now for his businesses.

Also, he may be able to pardon his past federal crimes, but not future crimes.  Its not like he could just give a blanket future pardon and then go around committing terrorist acts.  So he can pardon his campaign finance crimes until Bidens inauguration day, but still get charged when he embezzles money from Trump 2024.

15 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

My mom helped him discover he could watch recent college football games on PPV and rewatch classic sports on different ESPN channels. He had no idea those things existed and he’s been like a giddy kid watching old school games.

I have gotten my dad to start watching the National Geographic stuff on Disney+, and he's watching more than I expected.  He'll bitch when there are shows about climate change or whatever, but he loves watching a bunch of their stuff.