Modern family size

closetohumping

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

My dad is one of ten and my mom is one of 7.  Due to a variety of reasons, families do seem smaller these days.  But, just met a colleague with 7 kids.  I was astonished, but is that really a lot?

Yes it is.  I have 3.  God bless those people. They just have to be numb.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Two things:

increased educational opportunities for women

kids aren't needed for free farm labor anymore

These.

28 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Birth control pill became available in the early 60's

And this.

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

Haven't met a lot of Catholics, I take it?

I went to catholic school all the way till college.  One of my best friends was one of nine.  One year, on his mom's birthday, they called in to the local radio station to wish her a happy birthday on the air.  DJ asks "and who's wishing her a happy birthday?"  Caller answers "her kids Jimmy, Jane, John, Lisa, Mary, Carmen, Cecilia, Ann, and Sally."  Long pause by the DJ......."so y'all are Catholic, huh?"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

My dad is one of ten and my mom is one of 7.  Due to a variety of reasons, families do seem smaller these days.  But, just met a colleague with 7 kids.  I was astonished, but is that really a lot?

Poors either use less protection or they fuck more.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Haven't met a lot of Catholics, I take it?

This is the real, best, goodest answer.  Lot of big EYE-talian families up NE.  7-8 kids is frequent.
One family in my parish were the Ducks. 17 kids.  Obviously she didn't.  Duggering before Duggering was famous.  And a lot less weird.  But everywhere you looked.  Ducks.  Lots of Ducks.

Oh, BTW, I had ONE first cousin, ONE aunt, ONE uncle.  Either quality before quantity, or no one knew how to screw well in my family.

Edited by phdhorn

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

But, just met a colleague with 7 kids.  I was astonished, but is that really a lot?

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

My dad is one of 14. His mother bore 17 children (one died in childhood and two were stillborn). The woman was basically constantly pregnant for 22 years.

Would have to see photos of the mothers in question to give a proper answer.

17 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Wife's parents both have 12 siblings. She has 263 aunts, uncles, cousins and cousin's kids. Yes, they are catholic.

I won't go as far as to say that that's a war crime, but seriously fuck those people. (Hopefully your wife wants no part of that bullshit.)

40 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

This is the real, best, goodest answer.  Lot of big EYE-talian families up NE.  7-8 kids is frequent.
One family in my parish were the Ducks. 17 kids.  Obviously she didn't.  Duggering before Duggering was famous.  And a lot less weird.  But everywhere you looked.  Ducks.  Lots of Ducks.

Oh, BTW, I had ONE first cousin, ONE aunt, ONE uncle.  Either quality before quantity, or no one knew how to screw well in my family.

Was a family with 11 kids when I went to Catholic school. One of the boys was in my grade and is still a friend. I asked him once how his family put all those kids through private school and said every kid after the first two got tuition-free schooling. 

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

I would like to encourage doctors, engineers, astrophysicists, etc. to have many kids.  I would like to remind political activists to always use birth control.

In general (and this is a worldwide trend), higher household income correlates with fewer children. Part of the reason birth rates have been dropping worldwide the last few generations is a steady rise in average income and the increasing size of the middle class across the world. A lot of trends fall under this correlation - for example, irreligious people tend to be wealthier on average than very religious people, so very religious countries will have higher birth rates.

Sub-Saharan Africa, where birth rates are quite high compared to the rest of the world, is mostly Christian and Muslim, which is why projected numbers of adherents to those two religions are expected to shoot up in the coming years.

PF_17.04.05_projectionsUpdate_changePopu

PF.04.05.2017_-projectionsupdate-00-09.p

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 1

On a more anecdotal level, my mother was one of six children and my dad was one of five. I have just one sibling. This mirrors the general trend in India; since independence, the nationwide birth rate dropped from over six children per woman in the 1950s to 2.24 kids per woman today.

image.png

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I don't get this, do you think they were forced to have those kids, and not choose to have kids?

Wut?

For what point or purpose is there to have that many kids on a planet where overpopulation is a thing? blacklab's grandparents in law get a pass because that's just how things were back then, but anyone still having 6+ kids today can go fuck themselves. Especially if the reason is "because religion."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Two things:

increased educational opportunities for women

kids aren't needed for free farm labor anymore

My grandfather was one of 16 kids who grew up on a farm in Minnesota, doncha know.  My greatgrandmother died giving birth to the last of them.  My mom was one of 7.  I'm one of 5.  I got snipped after 2.  Those little fuckers bleed me dry.  I couldn't imagine a third, let alone more than that.

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Wut?

For what point or purpose is there to have that many kids on a planet where overpopulation is a thing? blacklab's grandparents in law get a pass because that's just how things were back then, but anyone still having 6+ kids today can go fuck themselves. Especially if the reason is "because religion."

Cause you can, Mr. Malthus.

38 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Wut?

Lots of kids is the new way to show just how wealthy you are in NYC.  Read an article about how each kid over 2 was much more impressive than a second house or Bentley etc because everyone on the upper east side knows how much each of those assholes is going to cost.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I won't go as far as to say that that's a war crime, but seriously fuck those people. (Hopefully your wife wants no part of that bullshit.)

The aunts/uncles and cousins average less than 3 kids each. Number includes a few cousin's kids kids.

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Wut?

Overpopulation isn’t a thing. By the time we die, there will be more concern about the opposite.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Wut?

Maybe the first time I've ever pos repped an aggy