Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

23 hours ago, brown water said:

So I’ve never been real good at math or reading comprehension but what I think those pictures say republicans are out of step with most people on most things. And then I wonder why they have so much political leverage. And why that is. And what happens if that continues. But like I said I’m not real good at …

America's most gerrymandered congressional districts - The Washington Post

The Electoral College - 21st Century Leaders

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/14/2023 at 8:50 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Morons, then.  Since both Texas and Florida have governments that seem hell bent on denying it (they fall in the first category), and Texas and Florida voters seem to want others to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, the next fucking climate caused crisis in either of those states should result in the federal government telling them to pull themselves by their bootstraps.  Fuck it. 

pir%C3%B3mano-meme.gif

armageddon-get-off-the-nuclear-warhead.g

2 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

I don't think he's a troll. He sounds like every other backwoods east Texas hillbilly I grew up with in Vidor that gets on facebook now and has made politics their whole identity since Trump made being an asshole/bully cool again. I'm sure in his brain we're the outliers because he hangs with other like-minded people in his inner circle and never travels outside his bubble of chucklefucks. 

This current iterataion of the GOP will merely be a chapter in the history books about the time a real estate conman from New York duped a bunch of low IQ right-wingers into getting involved in politics even though it is way above their paygrade.

inbreeding should be against the law 

21 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I feel like Elaine when she's talking to the editor at the New Yorker about the cartoon that nobody can understand.  And he just keeps deflecting.  And she finally breaks down, "Well if you could just explain to me what the hell it means!" 

Gossamer

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

No, they want me to say I hate black people. It’s sad really, but I get it. It’s easier to put someone in a category that way. Type crt into google and see if you can make it a full page without bursting into laugher. It’s impossible. 

image.thumb.png.f1fbc41c542c4ee8baf4fcff39e357e9.png

Let's take a look at hit #1:

image.thumb.png.ecbaebd8deadf72f82da69a295a90cfd.png

Oooh, look!  A definition, and an example:

image.thumb.png.fbcfd3e0987dfa6d7a17e3c520341c7a.png

Interestingly, it doesn't seem quite so far fetched.  What do you think now?

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

You’re arguing with someone who thinks there are no gay people in his community

This.  I've checked in on a surprising number of people (guys, really) from decades past -- HS, college, etc. -- who are married now. To other guys.  

You'd think, "Wow, it must have been tough to have been gay in 1880 or 1930 or whenever."  Fuck, it's tough now, especially with all these armed-to-the-teeth psychos running around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

bwhawhahahahahahahahahahaa.......

you had ZERO campaign platform you dumb mother fucker. go find a deep hole, jump in and fuck yourself !

200.gif
Meatball will be off the trail & home in time for hurricane season. Who will he blame the devastation on after the storms? Woke meteorologists or the gays & migrant workers?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Your comprehension just isn’t there and you fully think you’re smart at this. It will never be a thing in k-12. It will definitely still be used as a lens for analysis in doctoral level studies. 

@Poe It Up and other radical conservatives are trying to force themselves to believe that the tenets of CRT are so ridiculous, laughable, and untrue because they believe they would never be part of a culture that would do that to minorities. They’ve been fed this misbelief by their family, friends, pastors while simultaneously doing the very thing CRT asserts is being done.

It’s pretty fascinating really.

It’s not fascinating, it’s depressing. My vote counts the same as this dumb piece of shit. America has an anti-intellectualism problem, and it’s only getting worse.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3

20 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

It will never be a thing, on that we agree. It’ll be forgotten or laughed at it history books. 

Holy shit, this thing goes deeper than we thought! Woke Ronald Reagan was pushing CRT before we even knew to be afraid of it! Better purge him from the history books

President Reagan, responding to recent criticism of his Administration's treatment of the disadvantaged, said today that blacks ''would be appreciably better off today'' if the Great Society had never been inaugurated.

''By the time the full weight of Great Society programs was felt, economic progress for America's poor had come to a tragic halt,'' Mr. Reagan said to 500 applauding listeners at the National Black Republican Council Dinner here tonight. By 1980, he said, more people were living in poverty than in 1969.

Mr. Reagan said that the economic health of the 1950's was destroyed by the Great Society programs conceived by President Johnson because ''Government began eating away at the underpinnings of the private enterprise system.'' He added, ''The big taxer and big spenders in the Congress had started a binge'' that ''threatened the character of our people.''

''It's ironic that if the economic expansion and low inflation of the years prior to the Great Society had been maintained, black families and all Americans would be appreciably better off today,'' Mr. Reagan said.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

The ability of fuckpoe, et al, I’d say extending to the alt-right in general, to be shown fact and then to absolutely ignore that fact, will never cease to confound.

I saw a great example of this in, of all things, some Mike Pence town hall. This deplorable Karen gets up and says to Pence, "Your deciding vote made Biden president". He very calmly told her, no, I did not have a vote there. The vice president's job is to open the envelopes. The VP doesn't decide the election, etc. After, Karen says "Well without you we would still have Trump as president". Just, whoooosh. It's kind of scary to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/16/politics/fundraising-reports-desantis-trump-biden/index.html

The Florida governor raised $20 million – a strong total – but his campaign is burning through cash at a rapid rate, spending nearly $8 million since he entered the contest in late May, according to its filing Saturday with the Federal Election Commission.

Travel and payroll expenses each topped $1 million, and more than $800,000 went to digital fundraising consulting, according to the campaign’s report. As of the end of June, DeSantis employed 90 people, compared to nearly 40 people employed by the campaign of former President Donald Trump, the current GOP primary front-runner.

The latest filing underscores another warning sign for DeSantis: A small share – less than 15% – of his contributions from individuals came in amounts of $200 or less. Robust small-dollar donations can offer a sign of grassroots momentum behind a campaign, and supporters who contribute small amounts can be tapped repeatedly for donations before hitting the maximum $3,300 an individual can legally donate in primary elections.

DeSantis entered the second half of the year with $12.2 million remaining in the bank, but only about $9 million of that is available for spending in the GOP primary. DeSantis collected some $3 million in general election money from maxed-out donors that can only be spent if he secures his party’s nomination.

Russian Reaction GIF

Well if I'm checking my maths, Bob.  With this decline curve, he won't be around to return the money after his primary defeats, let alone actually have the cash-on-hand.  I'm guessing this is virtue signaling by certain donor cadres and the RNC to Trump to straighten up or get the fuck out of the way.  That he dies not have the domestic, conservative, donor-class financial backing he thinks he does.  I also think part of this is some donors wanting to get in early with DeSantis so that when he runs "for realz" in 2028 or 2032, they will be among a small and elite group that he will have owed for quite awhile.  

DeSantis is toast, just a question of who/what he takes down with him this cycle.  But he'll be back, sadly.  I've already moved on to what does he do after he terms out to remain nationally relevant?  He's not gonna get a talk show with that personality and sentient thumb-like appearance.  Neither of the two FL Senate seats are going anywhere anytime soon.  I'm sure he'll travel the countryside as the self-appointed "Wokeness Czar" or "Secretary of Woke."  We have had Presidents win big after having been on the political sideline for quite some time.  Reagan was out of office for 6 years when he was sworn in as President (he kinda went radio silent after the 76 convention loss for about 2-3 years).  Carter left office in January of 1975, but hit the ground running and campaigned non-stop for the next ~2 years.  Nixon spent the two years after the loss to JFK trying to win the California governorship.  Which he lost to Pat Brown.  And then his "Wilderness Years", 1963-1967.  Nearly 5 full years of traveling and stumping for other candidates but mainly out of the limelight.  He comes roaring back in '68 with consecutive landslides.

So there are a few examples of remaining sidelined, but relevant, and still steamroll back onto the scene.  Trouble is, DeSantis doesn't have 10% of Reagan's charming inspiration, doesn't hold 10% of Cater's honest integrity, and doesn't possess even 10% of Nixon's political savvy (pre-Watergate when he out-maneuvered everyone on both sides of the aisle for sport).  Meatball is an enervative, milquetoast blowhard with the backbone and commitment of Iron Butterfly's lineup this month, while maintaining a political tone-deafness to his own constituents and party akin to a Mel Gibson film festival during ADL Week in Manhattan.  On top of all that, he's fucking ridiculous looking  

• Hook 'Em 2

As much as that humors us, that strategy is top of mind for Abbott, Youngkin, and Noem. 

There's still more shoes to drop outta D.C. Court, then Georgia.  Trump could break off if he smells something rotten in Denmark and go scorched Earth on "his own" party by running Independent/MAGA Party.  One wise move his cadre is discussing is not bothering to get onto ballots in solid blue states.  The lack of popular vote totals would hurt his ego.  But by just targeting wins in solid to tilt red states with his resources, he could really fuck some shit up. 

Legal proceedings and politics/polling aside, this whole dramatic chronicle is going to come down to calendars.  How does Commander Dipshit navigate 3-4 active trials and all associated dates, alongside debate season, primary season, fundraising/grift season, all while playing lots and lots of golf, and supposedly running his supposed business empire.  If the RNC and state party leaders can fix it so he has to drag his lumpy ass back and forth across the country to stump, fundraise, and turn out the MAGA base for the whole party...they could design a pretty hellish itinerary that just stacks trip upon trip all bracketing major court appearances and primary appearances.  You could really run his ass ragged while appearing to he and his base to just trying to take advantage of the magic and winning luck of Donald J. Trump.  Meanwhile, there's a decent change you can fix it so he dies on the road.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

So Trump gets a Georgia indictment and ineligible there, Desantis flames out, then we roll out the Abbott campaign, right?

Fify 

Edited by tx ind
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Ron's team has to know beyond a shadow of a doubt they have zero chance at winning the candidacy unless Trump is physically out of the picture. How long do they play along, hoping that dotard is in jail or better yet, chokes on a Big Mac? They don't want to go down with the SS Meatball if they hope to further their own careers beyond campaign manager for some state senator in Twodogsfucking, Mississippi.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

“The Florida Experiment”

“Governor Ron DeSantis is running for president on the argument that he'll do for America what he's done for Florida. So what's it like in Florida?”

That’s this week’s episode of This American Life on NPR.

I’m listening to it right now. Check your local listings or wherever you find your podcasts, presumably. It will be available here on Sunday at 7 PM CT:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/805/the-florida-experiment

Prologue
Florida is now the fastest growing state, and DeSantis says people are moving there from all over because of him. We speak to people who did make the move, at least in part, for DeSantis’s policies. (6  minutes)

By Ira Glass; Produced by Alaa Mostafa

Act One
Prescription for Freedom

Among the big items in DeSantis's run for president is medical freedom. Producer Zoe Chace wanted to understand its appeal and its growing popularity. So she spent some time in Sarasota County, where one man — at the side of former Trump appointee Mike Flynn — is creating a sort of little parallel universe for this very thing. (33 minutes)

By Zoe Chace

Act Two
Their Eyes Were Watching Tallahassee

DeSantis has passed law after law about what can and can’t be taught in Florida classrooms, starting as early as elementary school. And last spring, Florida Republicans introduced a bill initially proposing to ban things like critical race theory and identity politics, or students majoring in things like gender studies in Florida universities. Reporter Emmanuel Dzotsi followed how things unfolded at one of the biggest universities there, Florida State, from the bill’s introduction all the way to its passage. He explains how professors and students have been preparing. (25 minutes)

By Emmanuel Dzotsi

Act Three
Goodbye Sunshine (podcast only)

Among the legislation introduced by DeSantis that has passed is a ban on minors receiving transition care. The bill passed into law a few months ago. We speak with a teen whose family has since had to flee the state in order to access the care they needed. (2 minutes)

By Ira Glass; Produced by Ike Sriskandarajah
Song:“Deep Down in Florida” by Muddy Waters

In case you missed this post while everyone was feeding the troll yesterday. This is up now. 

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

As much as that humors us, that strategy is top of mind for Abbott, Youngkin, and Noem. 

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Ron's team has to know beyond a shadow of a doubt they have zero chance at winning the candidacy unless Trump is physically out of the picture. How long do they play along, hoping that dotard is in jail or better yet, chokes on a Big Mac? They don't want to go down with the SS Meatball if they hope to further their own careers beyond campaign manager for some state senator in Twodogsfucking, Mississippi.

2028 is going to make 2012, 2016 or even 1996 look so incredibly tame.  The GOP field will probably have a dozen serious candidates who think they have a chance, and I could see polling that doesn’t have any of them above %20 before the primaries.  Hell, Alan Keyes will probably jump in if he’s still alive.

• Like 1

2028 is going to make 2012, 2016 or even 1996 look so incredibly tame.  The GOP field will probably have a dozen serious candidates who think they have a chance, and I could see polling that doesn’t have any of them above %20 before the primaries.  Hell, Alan Keyes will probably jump in if he’s still alive.

Dude.
Dude.
Trump will still be alive.
Thus, he will be the 2028 GQP nominee. The GQP is incapable - both intellectually and mathematically - of nominating anyone but DJT so long as he is alive.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1