Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

Herman had to go.  He was not turning this around, losing recruits and learning to be a HC at a major program on the job was not working out for him.  The childish antics were not aging well either. His standard to keep his job was beat OU and win a conference championship. He failed at both and was 4th in conference.  Did not even sniff the CCG.

So yay, Herman is gone. 

I can see a few areas where Sark may be an improvement.

• More time at big tier 1 programs and NFL may help with how to run a program effectively
  • Seems more innovative and willing to adapt his approach and bring in younger players
  • currently a hot recruiter
  • Should have a bigger network of assistants to pull from
  • I don't know much about his demeanor so I hope that is an improvement over Herman (No kissing, backpack dances, and mensa schtick)
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

I remember that game.

I remember a lot of bowls.  Texas players never cared if it wasn't the Cotton Bowl.  At least we had that mentality then that championships were our standard.

Now while I was around, I wasn't old enough to remember when people were lining up to fire DKR after 3 straight 6-4 seasons just before the greatest run in UT history.  Not that I would expect that from Hermann, but I expect him to contend for a conference championship.  Sark--the last thing I expect is consistency.

Mack took 8 years to win a title and 4 years to win 10 games and Mackovic didn't leave the cupboard as bare as Strong.

lol Mack also never won less than 9 games in his first four years and had a 75% winning percentage while competing in a much better conference. His teams were improving and he was pulling in the #1 class in the nation.

Herman’s situation is nothing like Mack and he hasn’t shown any improvement while having a roster that’s about to take a big step back talent wise and recruiting is falling apart. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes yes you made this point months ago when you told us we should be happy playing for the conference title we failed to get to.

I am onboard with patience when there is learning, development, and progress being made but that wasn't the case.

But I guess if you just make the same post a few more dozen times for a few months you will eventually...what? Win whatever prize you are trying to win.

As for hubris and impatience, well that has been the character of Texas for 180 years. I don't see how being what we have always been ruins a legacy already built on hubris and impatience.

You see a team that was 2 plays from being 5-5.  Ok.  That's true.

But I see a team that was 3 plays from being 10-0.  We haven't been this close in a long time.  And it was a weird season and they finally did seem to put it together at the end.

Is Sarkisian who I wanted? Obviously not. Did I want Herman gone? Fuck yes. I'll take it just to get that arrogant shitbrick off of our sidelines. Given the way recruiting was very rapidly circling the drain, we'll be better off in the long for dumping him now even though it means not getting Meyer.  

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Herman was a very young head coach without much experience at all when you hired him. If you're going to hire that guy you need to groom him and give him time without expecting greatness within four years. Texas is great at doing everything to sabotage its own goals with sheer impatience and hubris. 

user name checks out

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

Herman had to go.  He was not turning this around, losing recruits and learning to be a HC at a major program on the job was not working out for him.  The childish antics were not aging well either. His standard to keep his job was beat OU and win a conference championship. He failed at both and was 4th in conference.  Did not even sniff the CCG.

So yay, Herman is gone. 

I can see a few areas where Sark may be an improvement.

• More time at big tier 1 programs and NFL may help with how to run a program effectively
  • Seems more innovative and willing to adapt his approach and bring in younger players
  • currently a hot recruiter
  • Should have a bigger network of assistants to pull from
  • I don't know much about his demeanor so I hope that is an improvement over Herman (No kissing, backpack dances, and mensa schtick)

The plus you should be able to count on with Sark is the perplexing personnel use and stubborn offensive gameplanning should be gone. That alone would've brought Texas a Big 12 title this year. While his career is largely built on success achieved with huge talent advantages, that's exactly what he'll have at Texas for 9-10 games a year.  If he's as good of a recruiter as people say, you can expect 2022 and 2023 to be classes good enough to compete for B12 championships and a CFP berth.

No idea what to expect from defensive staff and there's always the possibility that he's drunk on the sideline vs Saban in 2022. And of course there will be some attrition. Sounded like Whittington is considering transferring unless Drayton and Coleman are retained and I know Bijan and Drayton are close. For that alone I think you have to at least keep Drayton. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

But I see a team that was 3 plays from being 10-0.  We haven't been this close in a long time.  And it was a weird season and they finally did seem to put it together at the end.

Hey guess what: regardless of what side you're on, he's gone. None of it matters anymore and no one gives a shit. Time to move on. Maybe you can pick up the "we never should have fired Tom" narrative after Sark loses to TCU or OU or ULL or whoever. Until then it's over - no point in discussing it. He was never keeping his job after ISU.

8 minutes ago, bullet said:

I've never seen someone post so many terrible football takes on a single thread, and I've read GreenspointTexan posts. It's impressive. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, midtown said:

So a guy that has been a head coach at two major universities and was forced into being an assistant is going to turn down 5x of his current pay and another chance to be a head coach? 

He might want to keep his life going good at Bama and rather have him do that if that is what he thinks is best for him.

22 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Tom Herman

duh

“When you don’t get on the internet and you stick to Yahoo News and Words with Friends and the Chive app when you’re bored, you tend to stay above the fray a little bit.”

Dang.  Herman deserved to be fired for being north of 30 and still reading Chive.

13 minutes ago, bullet said:

That has been true of all his seasons though. They all had tons of close games followed by strong bowl appearances. Recruiting was falling off and this year was his best chance for awhile to compete for a title.

If you look over at Coach Smart and the Basketball he also struggled but he kept getting to recruits so he got a very long leash...well and it is Basketball and not football. I still don't expect much out of Smart's team in the tournament but he had a 2018 vs OU type win today. If Tom Herman had a few more of those and kept up recruiting he would still be here.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I've never seen someone post so many terrible football takes on a single thread, and I've read GreenspointTexan posts. It's impressive. 

He's not the only one. Phil Steele is a big proponent of the Texas was three plays away from being undefeated argument. I've heard him make it multiple times.