Mentally unstable radical Republican? Oh you mean Marjorie!

Pancho

The Ledge was about Trump getting reelected.

Well, not just that. Not even close. It was - and remains - about shit like Jan 6, and the fact that a huge chunk of our country has gone absolutely batshit insane and will never not be batshit insane (see Jan 6, the big lie, anti vax nuttery, etc), and we don’t recover from that.

Trump is a symptom that actually so breaks downrhe body that that it accelerates the disease.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

No, it was pretty much about Trump getting reelected, until you expanded the coverage.

While we welcome you white dudes to the ledge, y’all got to quit acting like you’re completely brand new.

Some of us have been out here for a fair bit. If I had a baby on Election Day 2000, I’d have a legal drinking child on the ledge with me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, it was pretty much about Trump getting reelected, until you expanded the coverage.

Nope.  I knew from jump that avoiding his reelection was step 1 of god knows how many steps.  One misstep and it all falls apart.  These fucksticks aren't going away and we have to battle them probably for the rest of our lives.  It sucks.

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Robertson won 4 inconsequential results in the '88 primaries.  He was never a factor.

Dole won Iowa and was very much alive going in to SuperTuesday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Republican_Party_presidential_primaries

That's very interesting. Maybe my memory is more influenced by the fact that Robertson received more votes than Bush. I do strongly recall it was a big deal that he outperformed the VP (and the presumptive candidate). I guess my recollection on the details is a little hazy on the emphasis that was placed on the significance when I was 17. I honest to gawd remember Robertson winning the state, but I guess I was wrong. His strong performance, however, put me on notice for the first time.

13 hours ago, bolverk said:

I'm a 50-yo white dude, raised in a Southern Baptist Republican household in small town West Texas, who has pretty much been on the ledge since 1988 when I witnessed Pat fucking Robertson put George H.W. Bush on notice with a win in Iowa in the GOP presidential primary. This has been a long time coming for those of us who paid attention (even white guys). That fact made me queasy about where things were going.

Then, I witnessed the rise of Rush and saw a couple of childhood friends start calling themselves ditto heads, which made me even more uncomfortable about their outright acceptance of pure propaganda and demonization of the Other. Along came Pat Buchanan's hate machine and "culture wars", followed by FOX News, and I knew there was no going back to the party to which my parents who tried their damnedest make me loyal.

This is nothing new. It's the long game they've been playing since the John Birchers and Nixon's Watergate. Just keep fighting the good fight.

This long game has been going on since at least the 50s and is a direct response to FDR, the Dems and the new deal. LBJ scuttled their plans for a time being but they recovered quickly and started the acceleration with Reagan.

We’re now at it’s zenith where it either gets crushed, or destroys the country and turns it into a putin style oligarchy. 

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

This long game has been going on since at least the 50s and is a direct response to FDR, the Dems and the new deal. LBJ scuttled their plans for a time being but they recovered quickly and started the acceleration with Reagan.

We’re now at it’s zenith where it either gets crushed, or destroys the country and turns it into a putin style oligarchy. 

Register Communists not Firearms, poster by the John Birch Society,  1965-68. [392x400] (Anti-communist, anti-United Nations) :  r/PropagandaPosters

John Birch Society billboard calls for the impeachment of Earl Warren - The  Bob Fitch Photography Archive - Spotlight at Stanford

• Hook 'Em 1

My mom taught English at multiple levels -- middle school through undergrad.  The first time I heard of The John Birch Society was when she assigned Chaucer to her 8th grade honors class.  One kid's parents were horrified, and managed to get Mom drawn before the school board to defend herself for assigning such "trash".  They were John Birchers.  That was an early eye-opener for me.

Oh yeah, Mom won.  The school board said the parents could pull precious Kimmy from the class when they discussed Chaucer and send her to the library with no penalty.  I feel sorry for kids who are brought up in that world.

• Like 2

My mom taught English at multiple levels -- middle school through undergrad.  The first time I heard of The John Birch Society was when she assigned Chaucer to her 8th grade honors class.  One kid's parents were horrified, and managed to get Mom drawn before the school board to defend herself for assigning such "trash".  They were John Birchers.  That was an early eye-opener for me.
Oh yeah, Mom won.  The school board said the parents could pull precious Kimmy from the class when they discussed Chaucer and send her to the library with no penalty.  I feel sorry for kids who are brought up in that world.
I was in AP lit my senior year in high school. Beloved and The Sound and the Fury were two of the umpteen books we covered that year. However, one of my classmates' parents raised an objection. She got to read different books and complete different assignments. She went to the Church of Christ. Funnily enough, others that went to her church, they didn't have the same issue.

14 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I wasn't allowed in AP English because I spent all of class drawing (and writing, as in CREATIVELY WRITING, motherfuckers) comic strips.

So I just went home and read my Mom's old barely-touched Chaucer book. All of it. Swiving little bastard.

I'll bet you could have made a helluva comic based on the Miller's Tale.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

9 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I wasn't allowed in AP English because I spent all of class drawing (and writing, as in CREATIVELY WRITING, motherfuckers) comic strips.

So I just went home and read my Mom's old barely-touched Chaucer book. All of it. Swiving little bastard.

Your mom was too busy with her lap dogs to read, I heard.

• Drool 1

Chaucer had Lollard sympathies. Would not read again. Heretic.
  • Drool 1

I guess I'd listen to her ideas on this topic, she did move to the U.S. Capitol from an Adult Transition Services Center in North Georgia.  She wasn't able to vote in D.C. for a few weeks and it seemed to have served her well.  

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

The legislature is transforming to brain dead simpleton. Judge wrote a comedic parody of the future that's coming true

Don't limit yourself to Congress.

If MTG ran for president tomorrow.....1) she'd get the entire MAGA/GQP vote (even though some would wring their  hands and say "I wish she wouldn't tweet so much"), and.....2) she'd likely win.

• Rage+1 5

So I'm guessing she's much more responsible with her official account? How pathetic is it that a US Rep. has a burner account for trolling and pedaling conspiracy theories? Just like the MAGA-types around here... multiple socks just waiting to be suspended. Pathetic.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, tchookem said:

So I'm guessing she's much more responsible with her official account? How pathetic is it that a US Rep. has a burner account for trolling and pedaling conspiracy theories? Just like the MAGA-types around here... multiple socks just waiting to be suspended. Pathetic.

Her (educated and self-aware) interns are much more responsible with the official account.

The big tech companies need to stop letting elected officials have official and unofficial accounts.  It was fine back when we all thought the internet was a tool for democracy and when elected officials used unofficial accounts for terrible food photos and Bible verses.  It’s a whole different thing to have your official account for policy and politics, and then your unofficial account for policy and politics with no accountability! Because it’s UNOFFICIAL, you see. 

Twitter, FB, etc. should just give them a choice— while in office you can have a blue check mark and your title and we’ll put your personal account on ice for as long as you serve.  Or you can have no blue check and be subject to all the rules (both platform rules and U.S.G. ethics for personal accounts) as the rest of us. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The big tech companies need to stop letting elected officials have official and unofficial accounts.  It was fine back when we all thought the internet was a tool for democracy and when elected officials used unofficial accounts for terrible food photos and Bible verses.  It’s a whole different thing to have your official account for policy and politics, and then your unofficial account for policy and politics with no accountability! Because it’s UNOFFICIAL, you see. 

Twitter, FB, etc. should just give them a choice— while in office you can have a blue check mark and your title and we’ll put your personal account on ice for as long as you serve.  Or you can have no blue check and be subject to all the rules (both platform rules and U.S.G. ethics for personal accounts) as the rest of us. 

do you have a newsletter?

She's in a social media fight with Dan Crenshaw (I posted some of it in the DC thread), and he called her either a Democrat or an idiot.

Anyways, CNN looked at what she does with her days (she really should be a real estate agent).

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/03/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-twitter-permanent-ban/index.html

In search of what else Greene does with her days in Congress, I searched through Congress.gov to find out how much -- and what -- legislation she has sponsored since coming to Congress in early 2021. The answer? Sixteen total bill and resolutions. Here they are:

1. A bill to award Kyle Rittenhouse a Congressional Gold Medal

2. A bill to eliminate the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

3. A bill to give Congressional Gold Medals to police officers who served during various Black Lives Matters marches around the country in 2020.

4. The No Funding for Terrorists Act

5. The We Will Not Comply Act (The bill would ban any discrimination based on whether or not you've received the Covid-19 vaccine.)

6. The Fire Fauci Act

7. The Protect America First Act

8. The Gun Owner Privacy Act

9. The Second Amendment Preservation Act

10. A bill that would impeach President Joe Biden for his role in the pullout of American troops from Afghanistan

11. A bill that would impeach Biden

12. A(nother) bill that would impeach Biden

13. A bill to remove California Rep. Maxine Waters from the Financial Services Committee

14. A bill that would expel Waters from Congress

15. A bill honoring Michael D'Angelo Garigan

16. A(nother) bill that would impeach Biden

And that's it. 

So, one quarter of Greene's legislative action over the past year has been aimed at impeaching the sitting president. And more than a third of her overall efforts are either about impeaching Biden or getting Waters thrown off of committees and/or expelled from Congress. Not one of the nine bills she proposed became law. Not one of the seven resolutions she proposed were approved by the full House. 

Which, of course, doesn't matter to Greene. Her goal, legislatively and otherwise, is to get attention. Media attention primarily. 

Greene is a new breed of Republican Members of Congress. She uses her platform not to legislate or move up the ranks of seniority or even to befriend colleagues but rather to build her brand. And that brand is as a unrepentant defender of former President Donald Trump and his "America First" policies. 

And it's worked. Greene is now, despite being just halfway through her first term, one of the most recognizable Republicans in the country. She is a constant presence on conservative media. She raised more than $6 million in just the first nine months of 2021.

Again, Greene is the new breed of Republican House member -- one who has little interest in actually doing the job she was elected to do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2