Army Drill Sgt. and his cunt wife hassle an innocent black guy

Gil Bang

25 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'm not an expert on the collected wit and wisdom of Brisket and them, but I don't believe I've heard him advocate for crappy DR Horton homes in crappy middle class neighborhoods. 

Wait. You’re telling me this was a shitty take??

No Way Wow GIF

48 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I’m absolutely loving all the comments roasting DR homes and crappy developments and neighborhoods like that, but I had the thought, isn’t a DR Horton 250k home in a crappy middle class neighborhood with middle of the road public schools exactly what Brisket and them advocate for and should be the idea and goal for a middle class life? Like Buzz’s girlfriend, woof!

Also I’m dying laughing over here at all the thought of surly posters being shamed and not weighing in, either in defense or outrage, because they live in DR Horton homes.

What are you rambling about? Roasting DR Horton for being a shady builder doesn't mean hating the middle class or the middle class lifestyle. Just like roasting Boeing for building planes that fall from the sky doesn't mean hating airplanes or flying. And I really doubt @Brisketexan ever advocated that the middle class should aspire to have their homes built by DR Horton. And, honestly, if those muddled fever dreams are causing you to die laughing, I recommend immediately seeking treatment, not only medical, but also in the form of comedic intervention. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So what you're saying is that you made things up that didn't happen, made up another scenario that wasn't happening, and then laughed really hard about what you were dreaming in your head.

Man, that's a really top notch contribution. Do go on.

Yea you nailed it. Sorry for partying here, I thought we were doing a pile on on crappy mass production builders, I misread the room. I’ll see myself out!

22 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yea you nailed it. Sorry for partying here, I thought we were doing a pile on on crappy mass production builders, I misread the room. I’ll see myself out!

It's OK to pile on crappy builders - I got no problem with that.  Back to the thread theme though, people living in crappy DR Horton neighborhoods are the live personification of Nextdoor, like this guy, who goes ape shit when a black guy walks in front of his house.  Suspicious person.  

I'm glad my street isn't like that - from one end of the block to the other we have pretty diverse representation.   

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

So in reading this thread, because one guy was a possibly racist raging asshole to a kid on his lawn, he needs to be court-martialed and shot against a wall, the middle class dream is a fraud, and we need to abolish the military. 

This is nitpicky, but was the kid on his lawn?  The video showed him on a public sidewalk, which is not the lawn.  Wondering if there was something that wasn't shown.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Also, the dude lost control of himself.  If this was how he acts when he knows there are multiple people filming him, I wonder how he is when there are no cameras around.

Probably the same way, he’s an entitled dipshit who has never found out until now.  We’ve seen a lot of that lately.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

lived in shithole apartments off Reinli St. 

man i recorded two albums in the studio right there behind Target and have very specific memories and emotions tied up with that tiny, shitty little strip of Austin

54 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It's OK to pile on crappy builders - I got no problem with that.  Back to the thread theme though, people living in crappy DR Horton neighborhoods are the live personification of Nextdoor, like this guy, who goes ape shit when a black guy walks in front of his house.  Suspicious person.  

I'm glad my street isn't like that - from one end of the block to the other we have pretty diverse representation.   

I actually did feel a little bad for... whatever amount of shame or anger some surlster in his dr horton home would feel at the ribbing about dr horton homes/neighborhoods. No slight intended on the concept of living in a home like that. The actual joke is that this dumb racist piece of shit, in one not unlikely version of what happened here, doesn't want the trash from the cheap neighborhood wandering through his tight knit lake community of hard working tax payers. When with just a little bit of perspective, they are not any different at all. Just like the GOP electorate and the people they have been programmed to hate.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I’m absolutely loving all the comments roasting DR homes and crappy developments and neighborhoods like that, but I had the thought, isn’t a DR Horton 250k home in a crappy middle class neighborhood with middle of the road public schools exactly what Brisket and them advocate for and should be the idea and goal for a middle class life? Like Buzz’s girlfriend, woof!

Also I’m dying laughing over here at all the thought of surly posters being shamed and not weighing in, either in defense or outrage, because they live in DR Horton homes.

You sound like one of those people who thinks houses are really built differently from one another.  Unless you have a truly one of a kind custom house (that cost upwards of $500/sf just for hard costs), the same framing crew that built the KB or DR Horton house also likely framed your house.  

Outside of finishes, a house is a house.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

man i recorded two albums in the studio right there behind Target and have very specific memories and emotions tied up with that tiny, shitty little strip of Austin

Oh you have no idea.  Back then it was crazy.  I used to sometimes mess with a band, Porcelain Grind, in a warehouse type deal on old Koenig next door to Eric Johnson’s practice place.  Our space belonged to a glass blower neon sign maker named John Lee.  It was mobbish.  

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I actually did feel a little bad for... whatever amount of shame or anger some surlster in his dr horton home would feel at the ribbing about dr horton homes/neighborhoods. No slight intended on the concept of living in a home like that. The actual joke is that this dumb racist piece of shit, in one not unlikely version of what happened here, doesn't want the trash from the cheap neighborhood wandering through his tight knit lake community of hard working tax payers. When with just a little bit of perspective, they are not any different at all. Just like the GOP electorate and the people they have been programmed to hate.

Thing is in Austin, you buy a place at $240k and finance it at 2.5% for 10 years, and pay it off at 7, and it’s worth $500k, well, it really doesn’t matter who built it.   I’m not in this shit for rolexes, I’m making money.  

Entertaining aspect of that is all my money is going to my kids, who will shank these current republicans.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

You sound like one of those people who thinks houses are really built differently from one another.  Unless you have a truly one of a kind custom house (that cost upwards of $500/sf just for hard costs), the same framing crew that built the KB or DR Horton house also likely framed your house.  

Bullshit, I’m special.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

This is an absolutely adorable take on residential real estate.  

This is an absolutely adorable take on residential real estate.  
My company has built over 2000 residential units. Primarily apartments, but townhomes and single family, too. I've also got experience building on the very highest end, too. I stand by what I said.

Anything under the high end custom is built the same way. Same materials, same subs. The only real difference is design, quality control and finishes.

High end custom is a whole different world.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

My company has built over 2000 residential units. Primarily apartments, but townhomes and single family, too. I've also got experience building on the very highest end, too. I stand by what I said.

Anything under the high end custom is built the same way. Same materials, same subs. The only real difference is design, quality control and finishes.

It seems to me like design, quality control and finish out are pretty major differences. 

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
36 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:
It seems to me like design, quality control and finish out are pretty major differences. 

Not as big a difference as some would like it to be.

For several years, I made a nice living as an expert witness on construction defect litigation, 95% of it tract residential.  Quality control is, without question, the most important thing.   I did developments where the designs were the same, the subs were the same, but each phase had a different super.  Some were good, some were dogshit.  It's all about the quality control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Do you know these pieces of shit?

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/many-families-out-of-homes-large-sums-of-money-after-builder-files-for-bankruptcy/

Builder here, and that's totally incorrect.
I do new construction and also get hired to fix fuck ups.

There are a Lot of shitty builders at every level of price and quality. It makes a big difference. Same as hiring quality architecture, design and engineering.

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I live in a house that's nearly 100 years old, so I have much bigger problems than owning a DR Horton house.

Yeah, I’m in a prewar brick colonial and I’m scratching my head a bit about this thread.  

The joke in our house about the electrical is: keep the batteries in the smoke detectors fresh.  

Except it’s not a joke. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Yeah, I’m in a prewar brick colonial and I’m scratching my head a bit about this thread.  

The joke in our house about the electrical is: keep the batteries in the smoke detectors fresh.  

Except it’s not a joke. 

Which war? Technically shouldn't you be using coal oil or kerosene instead of electric?

I am in the new home building supply business and I can tell you the difference in Horton and other large builders, at least in Central Texas is, you can lean out of your window on the side of your house in a Horton home and shake your neighbors hand because they are only about 6 to 8 feet apart.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I am in the new home building supply business and I can tell you the difference in Horton and other large builders, at least in Central Texas is, you can lean out of your window on the side of your house in a Horton home and shake your neighbors hand because they are only about 6 to 8 feet apart.

Since the housing talk isn't going away, may I ask you a question since you're in the trade? Is it the land value/cost that makes the home size so large in order to make a profit?

We specifically purchased our not new home--despite the realtor pushing for new subdivisions and larger houses, because we wanted something that was smaller (<2000 sq ft) in order to have, for lack of a better word, a 'normal' size lot. We couldn't help but notice that the lots in the new places seemed skinny and yet the houses were double the sq footage and for our family it was too big. Children don't stay small forever, they can learn how to get along in close quarters (a valuable life skill even if as a parent you have to up your game), and we wanted a home where we could 'age in place' because as we looked around, there doesn't seem to be a market for even smaller homes anymore--ones for one or two people--all the retirees seem to go rent in assisted living communities. It's been great, we paid off the house and as the children have grown and spend more and more time with activities, we've never regretted it. Their friends never seemed to mind that we didn't have an separate entertainment area, they almost always congregated in the kitchen or living room--which was great (easier to keep a benign eye on what they were doing) and they had the yard in which to play. We have a size that we can maintain inside and out without spending too much time doing so and that's been a plus as well.

Will the larger home size continue to be a thing? I would love to see well built smaller homes because even the size of ours is starting to seem big as one by one the children move out, but I suspect there is no money in it.

39 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Since the housing talk isn't going away, may I ask you a question since you're in the trade? Is it the land value/cost that makes the home size so large in order to make a profit?

We specifically purchased our not new home--despite the realtor pushing for new subdivisions and larger houses, because we wanted something that was smaller (<2000 sq ft) in order to have, for lack of a better word, a 'normal' size lot. We couldn't help but notice that the lots in the new places seemed skinny and yet the houses were double the sq footage and for our family it was too big. Children don't stay small forever, they can learn how to get along in close quarters (a valuable life skill even if as a parent you have to up your game), and we wanted a home where we could 'age in place' because as we looked around, there doesn't seem to be a market for even smaller homes anymore--ones for one or two people--all the retirees seem to go rent in assisted living communities. It's been great, we paid off the house and as the children have grown and spend more and more time with activities, we've never regretted it. Their friends never seemed to mind that we didn't have an separate entertainment area, they almost always congregated in the kitchen or living room--which was great (easier to keep a benign eye on what they were doing) and they had the yard in which to play. We have a size that we can maintain inside and out without spending too much time doing so and that's been a plus as well.

Will the larger home size continue to be a thing? I would love to see well built smaller homes because even the size of ours is starting to seem big as one by one the children move out, but I suspect there is no money in it.

Short answer is yes.  Land acquisition and development are basically the  same regardless of the house size so the developer can always make more money on a 3500 SF McMansion than something nice but 2000 SF.  God forbid you want something single level, too.  You'll end up paying even more because they'll put in on a bigger lot.

But no, there is no market for smaller houses anymore.  Well, there is but no one is servicing that.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Oh you have no idea.  Back then it was crazy.  I used to sometimes mess with a band, Porcelain Grind, in a warehouse type deal on old Koenig next door to Eric Johnson’s practice place.  Our space belonged to a glass blower neon sign maker named John Lee.  It was mobbish.  

Been there, done that but in the burbs of DC.  Glass blowing requires furnaces burning over 2500 degrees or was it 1800 degrees? Can't remember but it was always on because it was more efficient that way and there were 3 of them.  My inexpensive room was upstairs where heat rises and during the summer, was clocked at 135 degrees.  One of the guys inherited a still from his grandpa and brewed moonshine--damn good but after a cup, it was nighty night time.  Fun times.  

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Short answer is yes.  Land acquisition and development are basically the  same regardless of the house size so the developer can always make more money on a 3500 SF McMansion than something nice but 2000 SF.  God forbid you want something single level, too.  You'll end up paying even more because they'll put in on a bigger lot.

But no, there is no market for smaller houses anymore.  Well, there is but no one is servicing that.

Thanks for the info. Haha, our house is single level (the age in place thing). I think I read that our home is only slightly larger than the average home size from the 1970's. It's a little newer than that because from what was available we wanted a brick exterior (less to paint!), but the newer home sizes are averaging a lot bigger. And yet, families are smaller. I suppose that is the 'great room' being expanded, but tbh, those high ceilings are space I'm paying to heat and cool and can't use.

Sorry for contributing to the derail.

@Mrs Whiggins there is one hood in west Houston I can think of right off the top of my head that had a bunch of smaller homes geared at aging folks etc, built into a much larger planned community.  Browsing HAR once I remember seeing they were just as much (overall) than the larger homes within the same hood.  I’m not certain on finishes and whatnot but remember thinking the only advantage would be to save on utilities for that kind of pricing.  400-ish iirc on 1800-ish sf. Maybe a bit smaller. 

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Which war? Technically shouldn't you be using coal oil or kerosene instead of electric?

1939.  It's crazy to think that my house is 80 years old.  They converted it to Nat. Gas from heating oil at some point. But you pull a wall socket or switch panel on this house and it's....uh....not up to code.

CSB alert:  There is a ton of housing in the DC region that was built between 1933 and 1940 as FDR implemented the New Deal and expanded the federal workforce.