Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

so?  Have you seen him play lax? 

I've watched some of his film, and what I see is an elite north-south dodger from the attack position. His dodges put him on a straight line to the goal with a defender (often a bigger bodied guy) in that path. He has excellent footwork and quickness, all reduced to muscle memory, to get around/through the defender and get a shot on goal.

Why is that relevant? An attackman dodging a defender to get to the goal is not all that different from an edge rusher beating an OT to get to the quarterback. At least, I can see how the physical attributes needed to execute his dodges could help him at edge.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I've watched some of his film, and what I see is an elite north-south dodger from the attack position. His dodges put him on a straight line to the goal with a defender (often a bigger bodied guy) in that path. He has excellent footwork and quickness, all reduced to muscle memory, to get around/through the defender and get a shot on goal.

Why is that relevant? An attackman dodging a defender to get to the goal is not all that different from an edge rusher beating an OT to get to the quarterback. At least, I can see how the physical attributes needed to execute his dodges could help him at edge.

I can not disagree more.  He uses his size as an attackman to score and has an excellent shot. He struggled vs high end competition in Texas. The stats bear that out, with 1 goal and 10 turnovers vs 4 games vs HP, ESD, and Woodlands. He struggled vs larger defensemen. . The reason I said it is because people quote that like it means someone is a high end athlete. Its not like he is running up and down the field at middie. Compare him to KJ Adams (kansas BBall commit) on the lax field and the athletic difference is huge. You can use your size and be successful in Lax. You can use speed and quickness. Some players are pure shooters. Saying someone played lax and therefore is a high end athlete is just not true. 

Edited by Codaxx

5 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

He seems more like a Southie to me. He’s street wise and smart, excellent in math, but lacks refinement and needs to learn how to fit with the program.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I can not disagree more.  He uses his size as an attackman to score and has an excellent shot. He struggled vs high end competition in Texas. The stats bear that out, with 1 goal and 10 turnovers vs 4 games vs HP, ESD, and Woodlands. He struggled vs larger defensemen. . The reason I said it is because people quote that like it means someone is a high end athlete. Its not like he is running up and down the field at middie. Compare him to KJ Adams (kansas BBall commit) on the lax field and the athletic difference is huge. You can use your size and be successful in Lax. You can use speed and quickness. Some players are pure shooters. Saying someone played lax and therefore is a high end athlete is just not true. 

Well if all he does is rely on his height, then it's a hard pass for me since he isn't that tall on the football field. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I can not disagree more.  He uses his size as an attackman to score and has an excellent. He struggled vs high end competition in Texas. The stats bear that out, with 1 goal and 10 turnovers vs 4 games vs HP, ESD, and Woodlands. He struggled vs larger defensemen. The reason I said it is because people quote that like it means someone is a high end athlete. Its not like he is running up and down the field at middie.  You can use your size and be successful in Lax. You can use speed and quickness. Some players are pure shooters. Saying someone played lax and therefore is a high end athlete is just not true. 

As an edge rusher, he does not need a middie's stamina or even speed. What he needs is size and quickness especially in tight spaces. That's all over his lacrosse film. I haven't seen his film again HP, ESP, or Woodlands, but those are 3 of the best programs in the state, and it would be normal for them to give an attackman trouble.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Tapp is a rush end, right? At the time it seemed like he was a bigger catch than Finkley, but it doesn’t seem like that anymore. What can we expect? 

A slow build of offseason nonsense.  A couple "looks like he belongs" and "better than they expected" followed by some "flashes" and "starting to stand outs".  Then finally the annual "hes gonna be tough to keep off the field".  

Once the season starts he will probably flash early but will keep his redshirt.  Then next year at this time someone will ask if he's already been passed on the depth chart.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Mikey4 said:

As an edge rusher, he does not need a middie's stamina or even speed. What he needs is size and quickness especially in tight spaces. That's all over his lacrosse film. I haven't seen his film again HP, ESP, or Woodlands, but those are 3 of the best programs in the state, and it would be normal for them to give an attackman trouble.

and I said on the Lax field quickness was not an asset. Those teams are good, as you know so is Westlake. There rest of Texas lax is generally wretched, but you are making an excuse. Those are just bad numbers. How you play vs better competition, especially in HS is important. His greatest asset as a Edge player is his length. He needs to develop strength and foot work as he moves on. He is still raw 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ok, so today is going to be a completely shit day of cheese puns and now Harry Potter larping talk, unless Tuesday flexes it's mythical muscles and drops some actual news. Good to know. 

Come for the cheese puns but stay to watch Oklahoma fans lose their collective fucking minds.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Point of order- Dallas Jesuit is current state LAX champs and thus the best team in the state. Beat the woodlands and HP last season. I don’t think ESD even fielded a team last season, did they?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

and I said on the Lax field quickness was not an asset. Those teams are good, as you know so is Westlake. There rest of Texas lax is generally wretched, but you are making an excuse. Those are just bad numbers. How you play vs better competition, especially in HS is important. His greatest asset as a Edge player is his length. He needs to develop strength and foot work as he moves on. He is still raw 

I agree he is raw and needs to add size and strength. He is a project. Watching him play lacrosse, I see the vision for how he could develop into a great edge rusher.

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Point of order- Dallas Jesuit is current state LAX champs and thus the best team in the state. Beat the woodlands and HP last season. I don’t think ESD even fielded a team last season, did they?

They did. I believe lost to HP in the semi's. Well coached team, but didnt have a ton of talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ok, so today is going to be a completely shit day of cheese puns and now Harry Potter larping talk, unless Tuesday flexes it's mythical muscles and drops some actual news. Good to know. 

well that and the intricacies of lacrosse positional attributes.  though I do look forward to any talk of zone v man concepts and 2-3-1 motion offense.

20 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Point of order- Dallas Jesuit is current state LAX champs and thus the best team in the state. 

We sing hurrah for the Blue and Gold,
A big hurrah for the Blue and Gold.
For the team we love, onto victory,
And down the field we'll go,
As we raise a mighty shout
And sing hurrah for the Blue and Gold;
For we're your sons and all are bold.
And with all our might,
We will FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT,
For the grand old Blue and Gold!

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Yup - I've now learned that there are at least two people in a state of 29M people that watch lacrosse. More than I expected honestly. 

Do you both drive a Subaru?

I'm lacrosse talk intolerant. 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Saying someone played lax and therefore is a high end athlete is just not true. 

Maybe I can make my point more clearly. Ethan Burke, the 6'7 DE prospect, was also a D1 lacrosse prospect and was at one point committed to Maryland to play lacrosse. Maryland is a top 10 program. To garner multiple, committable, D1 offers in two different sports is more indicative of athleticism than skill. To take it a step further, guys who are 6'7 would need to be exceptionally athletic to succeed at a high level. 

You argued that Tapp is the best athlete we recruited on the DL and all you've done is shit on lacrosse as a barometer of athleticism for Burke. I've yet to hear you defend your actual argument. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Rynosauri said:

I am learning a lot more about lacrosse than I ever wanted to know. New thread title is definitely appropriate. 

Its the dead season, so you can get anything from bad cheese puns, Harry Potter nonsense, or Texas Lax info. I am sure if you come back tomorrow there will be at least one more thing added to that list. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Maybe I can make my point more clearly. Ethan Burke, the 6'7 DE prospect, was also a D1 lacrosse prospect and was at one point committed to Maryland to play lacrosse. Maryland is a top 10 program. To garner multiple, committable, D1 offers in two different sports is more indicative of athleticism than skill. To take it a step further, guys who are 6'7 would need to be exceptionally athletic to succeed at a high level. 

You argued that Tapp is the best athlete we recruited on the DL and all you've done is shit on lacrosse as a barometer of athleticism for Burke. I've yet to hear you defend your actual argument. 

The problem with lacrosse is that every player is a coach on the field.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

you do realize that football was the choice, because that is a full ride. Maryland wasnt paying for school. It is very rare to get a full ride in Lacrosse, most players get next to nothing. I said he was not an athletic freak on the field in Lacrosse and used his size. Your argument is he got a full ride at Maryland, which is 100% incorrect, so he is a great athlete. D1 lacrosse gets 12.6 scholarships for a 45-50 man roster. 

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, Codaxx said:

you do realize that football was the choice, because that is a full ride. Maryland wasnt paying for school. It is very rare to get a full ride in Lacrosse, most players get next to nothing. I said he was not an athletic freak on the field in Lacrosse and used his size. Your argument is he got a full ride at Maryland, which is 100% incorrect, so he is a great athlete. 

So you're just a contrarian then - got it. 

21 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

you do realize that football was the choice, because that is a full ride. Maryland wasnt paying for school. It is very rare to get a full ride in Lacrosse, most players get next to nothing. I said he was not an athletic freak on the field in Lacrosse and used his size. Your argument is he got a full ride at Maryland, which is 100% incorrect, so he is a great athlete. D1 lacrosse gets 12.6 scholarships for a 45-50 man roster. 

I got a full ride at your mom’s house. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting