Mass casualty building collapse in Miami

47 minutes ago, BottleRocket said:

I just had a thought.  What if you went to sleep only to be violently awoken with the sudden sensation of falling followed by instant death?  Then, in that exact moment, awake in the heavenly afterlife and realize that your time on earth was only a dream... or a nightmare?   

That creepy prayer that my mother taught me when I was a child suddenly makes since.

"If I should die before I wake, I give my soul for the Lord to take."

User name. 

23 hours ago, Grimas said:

Wife has a friend from high school that lived on the 8th floor and is missing.  We were in Miami earlier this week and were supposed to meet up with him but couldn't coordinate a meet and now wife is taking it hard we didn't meet up while we were there...

I’m so sorry. 

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

So for the structural architect/engineer types…(basically smarter than me—so most posters) if they did heavy work on the roof the day before the collapse? Could that have contributed to a column snapping? Not sure what work was being done on the roof or why. 

if it was a live load issue at the roof, I would think you would have a roof collapse before you have columns failing. Unless there was some huge load concentrated directly over the column which seems unlikely.

but yeah, all speculation.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

if it was a live load issue at the roof, I would think you would have a roof collapse before you have columns failing. Unless there was some huge load concentrated directly over the column which seems unlikely.

but yeah, all speculation.

yeah, the way the whole thing fell it looked like it started at the base and everything came down on top. I don't think it would be possible to have anything heavy enough on the roof to cause that kind of collapse. It's sounding like sinkhole is the likely culprit, but still too early to tell

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, the way the whole thing fell it looked like it started at the base and everything came down on top. I don't think it would be possible to have anything heavy enough on the roof to cause that kind of collapse. It's sounding like sinkhole is the likely culprit, but still too early to tell

right, if you look at the video and the bulk of the building,  it looks like gravity was the doing it's thing (no support from below), and not some tremendous applied vertical force.

Edited by yoladu

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm getting more and more pessimistic that they're gonna find anyone else alive

horrible way to go. I would hope most slept through it - although maybe not so much on the second portion that collapsed.

Edited by yoladu

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

One of my best friends just called. Her niece is missing the building. Was there for a vacation with her fiancé and his family. 

Devastating event. God bless those who are working the rescue. But Miami Dade's SAR team is one of the best in the world. 

Sorry bro, hoping for the best.  

One of those situations where I would hope to die instantly. Can’t imagine the torture of surviving, mangled body, waiting to be found under tons of concrete. Would feel the same about a loved one. I’d hope they are in peace and not suffering.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

That one boy they found…damn. 

Tragedy in that family

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article252367163.html

Stacie Fang, whose son was dramatically rescued from the rubble after the Surfside condominium collapse, is the first victim to be identified by the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner’s Office.

Fang was taken to Aventura Hospital and Medical Center, but died. 

Her sister, Virginia Borges, told the Washington Post Thursday that she had been trying to get information on her sister all day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Creepy? I’m not a believer but I wouldn’t call it creepy. Here’s how it went:

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take

Not sure how you can find that creepy. 

Great, now I have enter sandman stuck in my head

• Haha 1

Nytimes: 
“Though some of this damage is minor, most of the concrete deterioration needs to be repaired in a timely fashion,” the consultant, Frank Morabito, wrote about damage near the base of the structure as part of his October 2018 report on the 40-year-old building in Surfside, Fla.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/26/us/miami-building-collapse-investigation.html

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Among those still missing are Cassondra Stratton, who lived in the Champlain Towers South condo with her husband, Mike Stratton. A political strategist, he had left Monday on a business trip for Washington, D.C., where he got a frantic call from his wife early Thursday morning about their condo building shaking. Then the line went dead.

“It was 1:30 a.m., I’ll never, never forget that,” he said.

Now Cassondra Stratton, a 40-year-old model, actress and Pilates instructor, is one of the unaccounted for — feared to be trapped under the rubble as Miami-Dade search and rescue teams continue looking for those still alive.

“She was the most fun, vivacious person you could ever imagine,” he said, his voice cracking with emotion. “She was full of life, we were always doing something.”

fuck   that video posted from inside the condo combined with the story above tells you everyone was awake.

thats a shit load of pre shaking, noise and sound for at least 10 seconds...   

I dont care if you have your husband on speed dial... it takes at least 5 seconds for you to recognize you need to make that call, another 5 seconds to connect the call... and at least another 3-5 seconds to be able to communicate with  them that the building is shaking. 

they may have been just half awake, but fuck, they all knew something was wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Uh, is he planning on telling everyone where the unstable part of the city is?

Considering every high rise there is on piles driven into competent limestone, I suspect a lot of inspection reports are being reread. I’m civil, not structural, but the likeliest scenario appears to be foundation failure due to either loss of limestone integrity from saltwater intrusion or corrosion of piles.  Either way it doesn’t happen overnight, but limestone can collapse creating those weird looking sink holes that are perfectly circular. 

Hell we get solution cavities in our limestone in the recharge zone in the Glen Rose so adding salt would accelerate that prices tremendously.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Considering every high rise there is on piles driven into competent limestone, I suspect a lot of inspection reports are being reread. I’m civil, not structural, but the likeliest scenario appears to be foundation failure due to either loss of limestone integrity from saltwater intrusion or corrosion of piles.  Either way it doesn’t happen overnight, but limestone can collapse creating those weird looking sink holes that are perfectly circular. 

Hell we get solution cavities in our limestone in the recharge zone in the Glen Rose so adding salt would accelerate that prices tremendously.
Did a video log on a well bore through the Edwards and into the middle Trinity last year. I was amazed at the size/scale of solution cavities in the Edwards. Was generally aware of them from reading studies/ reports, but seeing it in-situ was pretty neat. Just happy a spider or salamander didn't stick his head out and smile for the camera.
  • Hook 'Em 1

– Fire and smoke coming from deep inside the concrete and metal remains of a collapsed 12-story condominium tower near Miami hampered rescue efforts Saturday as emergency workers raced to recover any survivors beneath the mountain of rubble. 

Rescuers used infrared technology, water and foam to battle the blaze, whose source was unclear, and Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said the smoke has been the biggest challenge. In a news conference, she described the blaze as “very deep” and said rescuers faced “incredible difficulties” because of the flames. 

A firehose blasted one of the lower floors on the north side of the tower as white smoke or steam streamed out, and a bitter, sulfur-like smell hung in the air.

A crane removed pieces of debris from the more than 30-foot pile, and scores of rescuers used big machines, small buckets, drones, microphones and their own hands to pick through the rubble.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/national/2021/06/26/condo-search-grows-dire-with-159-still-unaccounted-for/

47 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Insurance for any high rise in Miami just skyrocketed 

plus, if you’re a building inspector or engineer in the area, you are about to make a small fortune 

probably not as much as the lawyers. Thousands of them probably descending on S Florida like locusts.

Hard to know how the pool slab problem and parking deck might have interacted.  Total speculation:   Damage to slab and deck results in loss of fixity for columns at bottom.  Columns less stable.  Roof renovation loads push column loading over their reduced load limit.  This would be a chain of events that previous poster was alluding to.  Might explain the weird noises people were hearing the night before. The columns were in the process of buckling.  Complete speculation as I have no idea how this thing was built.  

• Hook 'Em 1