Back away from the ledge!! It's not as bad as you think ....yet.

Thatguy

I thought Saturday was 70% a roster issue. I wish Sark had've pulled Card earlier but long term I trust him to put the right QB out there.

We looked very competent against ULa. We are going to kick the shit out of Rice because it's Rice. We'll see what happens in conference. 

A 10 or 11 win year one would have been nice but not sure we have the horses for that yet. I want to see Sark adjust and learn from this season and get another offseason in. Unless we drop 5 or 6 games I think the real evaluation starts in year 2. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We looked very competent against ULa.

Did we?

I recall the offensive line collapsing in the Louisiana game too. The wide receivers couldn't get separation in that game either. Those problems were present buy didn't get exposed until Arkansas took advantage.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Did we?

I recall the offensive line collapsing in the Louisiana game too. The wide receivers couldn't get separation in that game either. Those problems were present buy didn't get exposed until Arkansas took advantage.

Yeah, the gaping wounds salted in Fayetteville were suppurating a little bit last week.  But the playcalling and game plans certainly seemed better.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

I recall the offensive line collapsing in the Louisiana game too.

Because they're shitty. That doesn't speak to the gameplan from a coaching perspective. Sark actually schemed around the OL being poor against ULa. 

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

The wide receivers couldn't get separation in that game either.

I'm not sure if I'm buying this. It isn't super easy to evaluate watching on TV but it seems to me like Card getting the ball to WRs is a bigger issue than them getting open. He missed a few looks against ULa - too - it just didn't wind up costing us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

bad offensive line eh?

hmm. where have i heard this before? like every fucking year of my life as longhorn football fan for fucking ever

get lineman and corches from some other part of the country or world. texas highschool lineman ain't cutting it. thats the only thing i can think of at this point. its madness to constantly suck this bad at the most important position group (outside of QB) for this long

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Because they're shitty. That doesn't speak to the gameplan from a coaching perspective. Sark actually schemed around the OL being poor against ULa. 

I'm not sure if I'm buying this. It isn't super easy to evaluate watching on TV but it seems to me like Card getting the ball to WRs is a bigger issue than them getting open. He missed a few looks against ULa - too - it just didn't wind up costing us. 

Well, out of 18 completed passes, only 3 actual WR had catches and only 2 of them more than one.  Whittington balled out probably simply by virtue of athleticism that was better matched by pig.

It is hard to evaluate on TV, but I did see what appeared to be a lot of slow, lazy, meandering routes run that didn't get much separation and I imagine Card is still at that stage where he needs to see some daylight before making a throw.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Rationale post is rationale. 

Also Arkansas maybe isn’t a horrible team anymore and actually damn competitive? No one knows shit about teams outside the top 4 or so after the disaster season that was 2020 and all the roster manipulation that’s gone on. 

I doubt this Texas team wins more than 7 (6 seems right to me) but they’ve sucked for a few years so an entire new philosophy with this shit line can’t be an instant correction.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel like we need some crying 😭 reaction for this season. Like add it to the mix. I mean the fuck around and find out is cool and all but we need a crying reaction too.

That was a great write up OP but UT football doesn’t have that kind of power over me. Especially not after the last decade. 

24 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Not knowing their assignments is both a player and coaching issue.  That part actually reflects worse on the coaches than if we were in position and just getting physically manhandled.   Of course, that happened plenty, too (cue the image of Christian Jones being pushed to the ground by an edge player with only one arm on the bull rush).

I don’t agree with the thought process being attributed to Pete K on defense, if that was his thought process.  Not loading the box against a team who can’t reliably throw and is in the process of running for 300+ yards on 7+ yards per carry on us really has no justification.   We’re just going to let them run at will even though that’s all they can do because … maybe they’ll get bored and try to force a throw into coverage?  Yeah, that didn’t seem to work.  Go figure.

Is it possible that PK stuck with a "Big XII" defensive gameplan because he thought it more important to be consistent with that with the new installation than to be more effective against pig?

I'm not sure that's any more defensible than sticking to it out of stubbornness or stupidity, but at least it's a reason.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, out of 18 completed passes, only 3 actual WR had catches and only 2 of them more than one.  Whittington balled out probably simply by virtue of athleticism that was better matched by pig.

It is hard to evaluate on TV, but I did see what appeared to be a lot of slow, lazy, meandering routes run that didn't get much separation and I imagine Card is still at that stage where he needs to see some daylight before making a throw.

Right. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. 

But - we knew the OL was going to be poor and we knew the WR room was thin. If we're going to make it about coaching I think there are other areas that are more concerning. (Not that I'm super concerned yet but the Arkansas game wasn't exactly a clinic)

Edited by ztejas

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I really, really, really want to go to Dallas 4-1 not only because that means we are winning games, but also to experience the whiplash of this message board's collective outlook.

You're going to get hurt. 

36 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It looked to me like you could have pulled 5 random Texas fans from the stands and had just about the same level of OL play.  That has to fall at least somewhat on the coaching.

As long as four of them hadn't been in the Surly RV. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Most old schoolers know I hated Tom Herman, and from the moment we made the hire I proclaimed he would fail here. Now, while the verdict is still out on Sark let me tell you what happened on both sides of the ball. I have heard things like Sark rolled over. The playcalling was lazy. PK came in with the wrong scheme. Let's address it.

2nd play from scrimmage Arkansas has 7 in the box.

188427661_Screenshot(136).thumb.png.b5077c14ad929dd4fb059a356cc3c041.png

From the snap of the ball Angilua is soundly whipped blowing the play up immediately.

691268605_Screenshot(137).thumb.png.07ef8625b9d3264db5e613bde8d61b81.png

Not that it matters, but there are 4 hats on one defender. Meanwhile all of their second level defenders are completely clean.

220781699_Screenshot(139).thumb.png.9614a57f726c811447f9d485b73b704d.png

4 linemen blocking one DE. One lineman got pushed into the ball carrier. 4 free defenders flowing unabated to the football.

2059307230_Screenshot(144).thumb.png.ad1208c22452d30f09998341ee53595f.png

Here is another winner! Angilau(circled) is going to run right past the defender(also circled) to block I am not sure who.

1439658169_Screenshot(147).thumb.png.80df045facc4ef568943da1454b8bcb3.png

1816967797_Screenshot(148).thumb.png.c82d3961b754d1f763b74aaf4fa4f213.png

Not sure if Jones(#70 at LT) is being asked to reach that far against a slanting D-line, but that appears to be a tall task to ask.

1468982341_Screenshot(149).thumb.png.44770a28dfcebf6c814997bb2343aab2.png

Bijan being Bijan makes the impossible jump cut 3 yards behind the LOS vs 2 free defenders and still somehow makes it a 2 yard gain.

253198263_Screenshot(150).thumb.png.535356bf531034b2ce376ca3a6c57530.png

Bottom line, you can find this kind of ineptitude on just about every single play. It matters not what play you call or scheme you run when your O-line is constantly whiffing on blocks and not recognizing where defenders will be, or who they are responsible for. Sark's offensive scheme requires O-line competency, as just about any scheme does. None of the RPO's will work if you can disrupt the running game with a 3 man front. The RPO's only work if you can get them to start worrying about the running game.

Secondly, Arkansas was constantly dropping eight into coverage in long yardage situations. Card may not be the guy, but one thing is for sure, no guy is the guy that is throwing into the teeth of 8 pass defenders while still having to worry about the rush. Especially whenthat QB is a freshman.

Defensively, PK came in with a gameplan that was married to the offensive gameplan. Arkansas KNOWS they cannot throw into coverage, so they try to force you into coming out of coverage to get easy one on one throws for their QB. PK knows this and is deliberately being stubborn about dedicating numbers to the run game. Instead, he is playing bend but don't break while waiting for the offense to get it's head out of it's ass. If they can hold on, then Arkansas has to abandon their run game and turnovers will ensue. Where we can debate is how long he stuck with the plan. There are two schools of thought. Some coaches would load up against the running game and take their chances. Some coaches believe that it just makes things worse with explosive plays.

So where do we go from here? We HAVE TO get the O-line fixed. It's one thing to be physically outmatched, but another to not know what you are doing completely. We are the latter. If we can get some continuity our running game can be good enough that teams cannot do what Arkansas did to us this weekend, or better yet, we did to ourselves. That opens up what Sark wants to do. Comment away.

:subscribed:

Where do a throw my $9.95?

34 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I really, really, really want to go to Dallas 4-1 not only because that means we are winning games, but also to experience the whiplash of this message board's collective outlook.

I really really want to fuck Florence Pugh while she’s munching on Scar Jo’s box

• Drool 1

1) It's entirely too early to take the writeoff on Sark, but that's just because it's too early. 

2) That being said, I'm not sure clips the OP posted should make anyone back away from the ledge. They might be exhibit A for letting your toes dangle. Take for example the first. Angilua didn't get beat - he was pulling on a counter.  Two dudes completely missed their assignments on a basic running play - the 2nd of the game.  You can see this in the clip I posted in the O-line thread.  We look like we haven't even practiced.  That's on the coaches.

3)PK's scheme and game planning was shit; there's no sugar coating it.  He got totally depantsed.  

4) If you read back on this board on 1/2/2021 when Sark was hired (see the CDC thread) the overwhelming reaction to his hire was negative.  Most people argued we should have just kept Herman - that's how despondent they were.  The NC game a few days later and the staff he assembled changed people's minds.  I'm wondering if our first instincts were correct (they usually are).  

5) we'll see how things play out.  We'll know by the end of the season how this thing is gonna go.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Hook 'Em 2

Most old schoolers know I hated Tom Herman, and from the moment we made the hire I proclaimed he would fail here. Now, while the verdict is still out on Sark let me tell you what happened on both sides of the ball. I have heard things like Sark rolled over. The playcalling was lazy. PK came in with the wrong scheme. Let's address it.

2nd play from scrimmage Arkansas has 7 in the box.

188427661_Screenshot(136).thumb.png.b5077c14ad929dd4fb059a356cc3c041.png

From the snap of the ball Angilua is soundly whipped blowing the play up immediately.

691268605_Screenshot(137).thumb.png.07ef8625b9d3264db5e613bde8d61b81.png

Not that it matters, but there are 4 hats on one defender. Meanwhile all of their second level defenders are completely clean.

220781699_Screenshot(139).thumb.png.9614a57f726c811447f9d485b73b704d.png

4 linemen blocking one DE. One lineman got pushed into the ball carrier. 4 free defenders flowing unabated to the football.

2059307230_Screenshot(144).thumb.png.ad1208c22452d30f09998341ee53595f.png

Here is another winner! Angilau(circled) is going to run right past the defender(also circled) to block I am not sure who.

1439658169_Screenshot(147).thumb.png.80df045facc4ef568943da1454b8bcb3.png

1816967797_Screenshot(148).thumb.png.c82d3961b754d1f763b74aaf4fa4f213.png

Not sure if Jones(#70 at LT) is being asked to reach that far against a slanting D-line, but that appears to be a tall task to ask.

Bijan being Bijan makes the impossible jump cut 3 yards behind the LOS vs 2 free defenders and still somehow makes it a 2 yard gain.

253198263_Screenshot(150).thumb.png.535356bf531034b2ce376ca3a6c57530.png

Bottom line, you can find this kind of ineptitude on just about every single play. It matters not what play you call or scheme you run when your O-line is constantly whiffing on blocks and not recognizing where defenders will be, or who they are responsible for. Sark's offensive scheme requires O-line competency, as just about any scheme does. None of the RPO's will work if you can disrupt the running game with a 3 man front. The RPO's only work if you can get them to start worrying about the running game.

Secondly, Arkansas was constantly dropping eight into coverage in long yardage situations. Card may not be the guy, but one thing is for sure, no guy is the guy that is throwing into the teeth of 8 pass defenders while still having to worry about the rush. Especially whenthat QB is a freshman.

Defensively, PK came in with a gameplan that was married to the offensive gameplan. Arkansas KNOWS they cannot throw into coverage, so they try to force you into coming out of coverage to get easy one on one throws for their QB. PK knows this and is deliberately being stubborn about dedicating numbers to the run game. Instead, he is playing bend but don't break while waiting for the offense to get it's head out of it's ass. If they can hold on, then Arkansas has to abandon their run game and turnovers will ensue. Where we can debate is how long he stuck with the plan. There are two schools of thought. Some coaches would load up against the running game and take their chances. Some coaches believe that it just makes things worse with explosive plays.

So where do we go from here? We HAVE TO get the O-line fixed. It's one thing to be physically outmatched, but another to not know what you are doing completely. We are the latter. If we can get some continuity our running game can be good enough that teams cannot do what Arkansas did to us this weekend, or better yet, we did to ourselves. That opens up what Sark wants to do. Comment away.

that first play you broke down is wrong. angilau wasn’t “soundly whipped.” this is from @bschoolprof in the OL thread  

• Rage+1 1

This brings up another issue- one that was mentioned in real time on the game thread.  They were very, very confident in their defensive calls. Catalon was back there pointing and signaling when we’d set or shift. And they were right a lot of the time, like above here where they are slanting the line to the short side when we snapped from the hash.  That puts a lot of bodies well on one side of the field.  But not only was it the right call, they still had a free player covering the back side in the event card kept it on a read. 

so as was asked on the game thread, are we that predictable, are our signals simple enough to get stolen, or both?

29 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

1) It's entirely too early to take the writeoff on Sark, but that's just because it's too early. 

2) That being said, I'm not sure clips the OP posted should make anyone back away from the ledge. They might be exhibit A for letting your toes dangle. Take for example the first. Angilua didn't get beat - he was pulling on a counter.  Two dudes completely missed their assignments on a basic running play - the 2nd of the game.  You can see this in the clip I posted in the O-line thread.  We look like we haven't even practiced.  That's on the coaches.

3)PK's scheme and game planning was shit; there's no sugar coating it.  He got totally depantsed.  

4) If you read back on this board on 1/2/2021 when Sark was hired (see the CDC thread) the overwhelming reaction to his hire was negative.  Most people argued we should have just kept Herman - that's how despondent they were.  The NC game a few days later and the staff he assembled changed people's minds.  I'm wondering if our first instincts were correct (they usually are).  

5) we'll see how things play out.  We'll know by the end of the season how this thing is gonna go.  

My bad on the who on the sideline angle. But yes, we completely didn't even attempt the trap block and the result is 4 guys standing there while the man that was supposed to get blocked blows up the play almost immediately. That kind of stupidity can be fixed with corching. Below is Bama, running it how its supposed to be run at the very start of the video.

• Hook 'Em 3

bad offensive line eh?
hmm. where have i heard this before? like every fucking year of my life as longhorn football fan for fucking ever
get lineman and corches from some other part of the country or world. texas highschool lineman ain't cutting it. thats the only thing i can think of at this point. its madness to constantly suck this bad at the most important position group (outside of QB) for this long

Wasn’t Casey from Colorado?

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I’ve become more of a “watch them on TV” guy, but I was there last night. Receivers were breaking open and Card was not delivering the ball to them. It happened a bunch. You can’t see that stuff on TV. He looked really timid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

This bunch of pussies isn’t beating Fat Pat. That will be as bad or worse than Arkansas 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

If we lose to rice and Tech, Sark will be fired before ou, so 3-1 is most likely... If we beat tcu by executing (ie, not luck) and make 4-1, I'll feel better than I do right now...

But it won't erase what happened (or didn't happen)

My bad on the who on the sideline angle. But yes, we completely didn't even attempt the trap block and the result is 4 guys standing there while the man that was supposed to get blocked blows up the play almost immediately. That kind of stupidity can be fixed with corching. Below is Bama, running it how its supposed to be run at the very start of the video.

Put her in charge. /hudson

6 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I’ve become more of a “watch them on TV” guy, but I was there last night. Receivers were breaking open and Card was not delivering the ball to them. It happened a bunch. You can’t see that stuff on TV. He looked really timid. 

Obligatory:  “you can’t find open receivers when you only have 2 seconds before you get hit”

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

After reading your description, but only do I want to go back on the ledge, but jump off of it. LOL other than that Mrs Lincoln, the play wasn't too bad, was it?

Seriously. If anything the OP shows how disastrous things are. Criminal OL ineptitude is a recipe for getting your ass beat. It will be less fun when TCU does it, and I’m not watching another 50 pt loss to the sooners 

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Rationale post is rationale. 

Also Arkansas maybe isn’t a horrible team anymore and actually damn competitive? No one knows shit about teams outside the top 4 or so after the disaster season that was 2020 and all the roster manipulation that’s gone on. 

I doubt this Texas team wins more than 7 (6 seems right to me) but they’ve sucked for a few years so an entire new philosophy with this shit line can’t be an instant correction.  

We could have easily won 9 games last year. I agree with you but 6 wins is a complete disaster.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Seriously. If anything the OP shows how disastrous things are. Criminal OL ineptitude is a recipe for getting your ass beat. It will be less fun when TCU does it, and I’m not watching another 50 pt loss to the sooners 

If Charlie and Mensa can beat OU, Sark has a chance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

We could have easily won 9 games last year. I agree with you but 6 wins is a complete disaster.

Uh, we were a 10 win team last year

we lost our best DL, OL, 2DBs, and one of the best qbs in school history. And we play a harder big 12 this year than last

no clue how/why people thought we were winning more than 9 games this season

• Hook 'Em 1