Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

46 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Anyone know if CW's an early enrollee? If so, he could definitely fit the new graduate with a Texas degree in 3 years and grad transfer with 2 years of remaining eligibility plan. GTD3Y&GT2Y for short.

If you gonna sit for 2- 3 years.  why not sit at Texas.? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Satya says yes.

Point taken. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Drones just recruited his buddy Masters to Baylor, so that bridge looks fully crispy.

Maddox Kopp is probably going to be Ole Miss' take, and Kiffin is giving him the full "define my new era" sell

So this is a good take. Campbell knows his shit, so Wright can almost definitely sling it, and we're screwing the 'clones over. It's a win-win on a couple levels for Texas.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Not sure any high end QB prospect wants to be sandwiched between Card/JQJ and Ewers.  Getting a guy Campbell likes isn’t the worst thing to have as a backup.

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

The point was to bring in a guy who won’t transfer right away, so no. 

We signed two highly ranked QBs in 2020 and the top QB in the country in 2022 is committed. 2021 became a gap year once Ewers committed. It’s why Milroe left, he saw the writing on the wall.

I was about to satya all over myself and say this assumes Card pans out and Ewers signs. That being said, I just checked OUs last class and they signed Chandler Morris between Rattler and Williams so it appears it’s not easy to sign someone like Milroe unless you’re Bama 

Our current class now has eight (8) 3*'s with 1 being the punter.  2019 class actually had nine (9) 3*'s.  3 of those 9 have already contributed in Sweat (stud), Wiley, and Mitchell.  Some are still TBD like Tillman, Lewis, Caldwell, and Tyler.  Caleb Johnson is gone and Mpagi may never play again.

Hopefully we hit in 3-4 of those 7 (and punter) like with the 19' class.  If say JoJo ends up flipping do ya'll think Cain would look around, especially if those 22' guys start hopping on board?

I'm going with Alexis, Myslinski, and Davis as being the guys that'll start/contribute. 

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Our current class now has eight (8) 3*'s with 1 being the punter.  2019 class actually had nine (9) 3*'s.  3 of those 9 have already contributed in Sweat (stud), Wiley, and Mitchell.  Some are still TBD like Tillman, Lewis, Caldwell, and Tyler.  Caleb Johnson is gone and Mpagi may never play again.

Hopefully we hit in 3-4 of those 7 (and punter) like with the 19' class.  If say JoJo ends up flipping do ya'll think Cain would look around, especially if those 22' guys start hopping on board?

I'm going with Alexis, Myslinski, and Davis as being the guys that'll start/contribute. 

JoJo and Cain are completely different types of WR. Cain's betting on being better than Wilson when he shows up (and, you know, smartly jumping on his best offer early)

6 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

Anyone know if CW's an early enrollee? If so, he could definitely fit the new graduate with a Texas degree in 3 years and grad transfer with 2 years of remaining eligibility plan. GTD3Y&GT2Y for short.

According to my source, which is my former teacher at AHS, CW plans to graduate in December. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

The only take that I think is really questionable is Brooks. I don’t see his athleticism and build ever allowing him to see the field.

I think Cain is. The main argument for him is “Yurcich wants him”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not really. We have a 4 star average Still. We’ve got a few pieces of bread, but guys like Alexis, Helm, and Davis are all very high upside takes. Plus we still have some highly rated targets, like the the 2 RBs, Turner,  and probably Cooks and Regis once sites update their rankings. Milroe staying in obviously would’ve helped, but we lost him for a good reason and he probably would’ve transferred anyways. Taking someone like Wright is a good move. We need QB depth and the only way to have that is taking a guy like him in between two elite classes. 

Parts of the class are disappointing, but it’s still going to be a good class overall and it won’t hold Herman back from having the talent to make the CFP. 

Our recruiting has been just good enough to get to the playoff but not win it all in my opinion. The missing pieces are more top OL and DL, an LB or 2, and a TE. Every other position is/will be good enough to win it all.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/22/2020 at 10:15 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure where to post this,  but @closetojumping update:

He’s alive and...alive. I’m not sure we can say well. This motherfucker played the entire round of golf masked up like he was about to rob a liquor store. When we paused to let other people play through our group he made a point several times of busting out of the bushes to scare the fuck out of other golfers and field marshals. He takes his virtue signaling up to 11. Anyway, he said he hasn’t been able to engage mentally in football because of the uncertainty of everything, and unless he can get 100% invested it just doesn’t hold his interest. He’s stopped watching the astros too. I suspect he’ll be back after a couple of games are played. Or he’ll be dead because he walked into a fucking gas station like that.

54F61F43-3659-4219-9993-08728AEE217C.jpeg

what a pear-shaped loser. 

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Our recruiting has been just good enough to get to the playoff but not win it all in my opinion. The missing pieces are more top OL and DL, an LB or 2, and a TE. Every other position is/will be good enough to win it all.

WR:  In the last two classes (20, 21 to date) our overall commits at this position have been clearly less than elites.  Sure, some may be underrated, etc. but they're far below several other groups.

DL:  On the flip side, not sure how DL can be on that list.  Collins and Sanders are 5 stars, Brouton/Thomas/Dorbah are very good, and we're still in the running for Turner.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

The only argument for (or was it against) Omeire was "Mehringer wants him"

Sometimes we don't know shit.  But yeah I would agree on Cain too

A&M also wanted Omeire. Louisiana Tech wants Cain.

29 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

The only argument for (or was it against) Omeire was "Mehringer wants him"

Sometimes we don't know shit.  But yeah I would agree on Cain too

This isn’t true at all. Omeire had way more offers and was way higher rated. Those two guys aren’t even close to comparable. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

He’s alive and...alive. I’m not sure we can say well. This motherfucker played the entire round of golf masked up like he was about to rob a liquor store. When we paused to let other people play through our group he made a point several times of busting out of the bushes to scare the fuck out of other golfers and field marshals. He takes his virtue signaling up to 11. Anyway, he said he hasn’t been able to engage mentally in football because of the uncertainty of everything, and unless he can get 100% invested it just doesn’t hold his interest. He’s stopped watching the astros too. I suspect he’ll be back after a couple of games are played. Or he’ll be dead because he walked into a fucking gas station like that.

Ya'll so bad you can't keep up?

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

WR:  In the last two classes (20, 21 to date) our overall commits at this position have been clearly less than elites.  Sure, some may be underrated, etc. but they're far below several other groups.

DL:  On the flip side, not sure how DL can be on that list.  Collins and Sanders are 5 stars, Brouton/Thomas/Dorbah are very good, and we're still in the running for Turner.

I was thinking about the roster holistically and its depth for this year, not future years. We have great freshmen DL backing up good but not great DE's.  Lineman need years in the program to become dominant enough to win it all. If they keep the pipeline filled in the next two years and these guys develop as expected, the DL will be fine for 2022.

On wide receiver, you're point is well-taken, but I was again looking at this year, not future years.  I think Whittington, Smith, Washington and Eagles are really good. But you are right that the depth behind them is suspect. 

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I was thinking about the roster holistically and its depth for this year, not future years. We have great freshmen DL backing up good but not great DE's.  Lineman need years in the program to become dominant enough to win it all. If they keep the pipeline filled in the next two years and these guys develop as expected, the DL will be fine for 2022.

On wide receiver, you're point is well-taken, but I was again looking at this year, not future years.  I think Whittington, Smith, Washington and Eagles are really good. But you are right that the depth behind them is suspect. 

Oh, you're looking at the roster for a run this year.  Got it.

This is the guy that was supposed to win some foot race before the LSU game? Looks like he could be a RB for the Aggies. 
#CubeLife

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I don't see a problem with WR as we added Black and may well add Johnson. I can't say getting experienced guys like that are a downgrade from some random 5 star high school senior. Recruiting is changing.

If Johnson is added, wonder if Whittington needs to sit another year -- free redshirt??

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If Johnson is added, wonder if Whittington needs to sit another year -- free redshirt??

I don’t think anybody is sitting unless it’s because of an injury. I think Herman / Yurcich want to get as many weapons around Sam as possible and they’d love it if ay least some of them had experience (like Black and Johnson).  I think it’s clear (given who they’ve been after) that they want some more experience in the WR room).  Opt outs being what they are - this is the year to take all the transfers that you can. 

59 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don’t think anybody is sitting unless it’s because of an injury. I think Herman / Yurcich want to get as many weapons around Sam as possible and they’d love it if ay least some of them had experience (like Black and Johnson).  I think it’s clear (given who they’ve been after) that they want some more experience in the WR room).  Opt outs being what they are - this is the year to take all the transfers that you can. 

Might make sense to limit number of plays/gm for Whittington in 2020... kid just doesn't seem ready for high volume usage in CFB yet...

Edited by LTtxfan
fuckin' grammar

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

No chance. Herman himself, whose had a plethora of surgeries and still played, and is on the coaching hot seat will play everyone he can to win this year.

Herman is not on the hot seat this year. It's ludicrous to believe this with everything that is and has happened.

Too early to proclaim this class bready or not. We're still in on lots of dudes that could change the story completely. The RBs, Turner, Regis, and Mukuba are all difference makers. Run the table with them (plus maybe flip JoJo) and its a damn nice class with some holes. We definitely have some guys right now that you want filling out the bottom of your class, not headlining the top, though.

Edited by tokamak

30 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Too early to proclaim this class bready or not. We're still in on lots of dudes that could change the story completely. The RBs, Turner, Regis, and Mukuba are all difference makers. Run the table with them (plus maybe flip JoJo) and its a damn nice class with some holes. We definitely have some guys right now that you want filling out the bottom of your class, not headlining the top, though.

I guess other flips like OL are still possible.

Herman is not on the hot seat this year. It's ludicrous to believe this with everything that is and has happened.

Ya I don’t mean he gets fired at the end of this season, if it’s played. He’s got this year and next year to prove success and has to show progress in 2020 and 2021. I consider that the hot seat.

7 hours ago, LebongJames said:

The only take that I think is really questionable is Brooks. I don’t see his athleticism and build ever allowing him to see the field.

He’s listed as 6’0 and 185 lb now.  I wouldn’t call that a bad build and I don’t think you have watched his tapes much he’s pretty athletic.

Edited by Hook1997