Kid Rock (and Bud Light slap-fight) y’all

Gil Bang

I guess we have still have a sizable portion of the country that put anyone that doesn't meet their definition of normal into category that should shunned if not banned. I estimate we have about 10% of the country that want the govt to kill people from this other category, and it wouldn't take much to push another 20-30% to this line of thinking.

SIAP, but here is the basic thinking of these people. Their way of thinking about sexual orientation or even gender identity is only what is different from the "norm." 

• Drool 1

On 4/10/2023 at 2:56 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I just assumed it wasn't Harry Styles' music that you liked. 

I was at that concert, it was in Dallas in the old cowboys stadium in Irving. Hetfield fucked up his back wakeboarding or some shit. I would not say that Kid Rock "killed" it. He sang some of their songs, and so did some of the other artists who were on the ticket, as well as Jason Newsted. Lets just say I was happy we got free tickets to a replacement Metallica show in Dallas as compensation. The best part of that show was when Powerman 3000 was playing and for some reason the entire stadium decided to rip the seat covers off the chairs and flinging them around the stadium. It looked like a tornado of cushions was blowing through the arena.

Kid Rock is, at best just another normal person who can't handle change and got old and their brain was broken. At worst, he's what other posters have said, a loser trying to find an audience that will keep him relevant. 

Powerman 5000. 

3000 is Andre 3000 from Outkast. Come on, man. 

Now look at this shit, you have me posting in the god damn black whole of Surly. Fuck you!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/10/2023 at 2:56 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I just assumed it wasn't Harry Styles' music that you liked. 

I was at that concert, it was in Dallas in the old cowboys stadium in Irving. Hetfield fucked up his back wakeboarding or some shit. I would not say that Kid Rock "killed" it. He sang some of their songs, and so did some of the other artists who were on the ticket, as well as Jason Newsted. Lets just say I was happy we got free tickets to a replacement Metallica show in Dallas as compensation. The best part of that show was when Powerman 3000 was playing and for some reason the entire stadium decided to rip the seat covers off the chairs and flinging them around the stadium. It looked like a tornado of cushions was blowing through the arena.

Kid Rock is, at best just another normal person who can't handle change and got old and their brain was broken. At worst, he's what other posters have said, a loser trying to find an audience that will keep him relevant. 

Fuck yeah I was at that show too. The cushions thing was nuts. And hey, we got two Metallica shows out of it, in the end. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, BERT said:

Powerman 5000. 

3000 is Andre 3000 from Outkast. Come on, man. 

Now look at this shit, you have me posting in the god damn black whole of Surly. Fuck you!!!

Alittleracist.gif

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2023 at 9:01 AM, Horn Dogg said:

I can’t figure out what sucks more - listening to Kid Rock or drinking Bud Light.  Two variations of my own personal hell.

The VP of Marketing who concocted this idea and the CMO were put on leave-- the company tried to make it sound like they voluntarily took a leave of absence, but reports from WSJ make it sound like they are being quietly fired.

Probably because "The boycott appears to be having some effect on business. According to Beer Business Daily, Bud Light sales fell 10.7% the week ended April 8, while shares in rival Molson Coors appear to have gotten at least a short-term lift."

“Given the circumstances, Alissa has decided to take a leave of absence which we support,” an Anheuser-Busch spokeswoman said in an email. “Daniel has also decided to take a leave of absence.”

The decision to take a leave wasn’t voluntary, according to people familiar with the matter. AB InBev named another executive to replace Ms. Heinerscheid.

I can see it from both sides here from a business perspective:

• It's a declining brand and so you are attempting to broaden your demographics and buying personas and think you increase your total addressable market by appealing to young people, progressives, etc. who have never or rarely been your paying customers.
  • On the other hand, you are a lifestyle brand with an entrenched and passionate core identity of lower-middle-class/poor people and your billion dollar marketing machine should have enough data and analytics to show you that this would be a horrible, horrible idea.

At the end of the day to grow and transform, you have to take business risks. People rise and fall everyday in corporations taking risks, this is just a really visible one. In fact, if it weren't so visible and political, I'd argue these folks would probably get a raise and promotion for taking the risk and failing rather then being pushed out, but alas.

Edited by HamsterHookah

• 2 weeks later...

Kid Rock really might be the next Donald Trump if his influence is any indication. That and Anheuser-Busch took a calculated risk that didn't work out:

Anheuser-Busch InBev has reportedly promised free beer and more to Bud Light distributors to compensate for blowback from an ad campaign featuring a transgender influencer.

The maker of Bud Light is working to make amends with its distributors, who say they have taken the brunt of the backlash to a company promotion with a transgender influencer.

In the week ended April 22, Bud Light’s U.S. retail-store sales fell 21.4% compared with the year-earlier period, according to an analysis of Nielsen data by Bump Williams Consulting. Meanwhile, sales of rival brands Coors Light and Miller Lite each grew about 21%.

Anheuser-Busch also paid for a free case of Bud Light for every distributor employee. And last week, it sent wholesalers a letter they could share with retailers to address misperceptions about Ms. Mulvaney’s post. 

“They didn’t need to take this risk,” one distributor said, adding that he was worried the brand might now swing back in the other direction. “I lost my cowboy bars and now I could lose my gay bars, too.”

• Fuck You 1

“They didn’t need to take this risk,” one distributor said, adding that he was worried the brand might now swing back in the other direction. “I lost my cowboy bars and now I could lose my gay bars, too.”

Translation: I might not be able to sell the crappy beer I've been selling.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2023 at 9:01 AM, Horn Dogg said:

I can’t figure out what sucks more - listening to Kid Rock or drinking Bud Light.  Two variations of my own personal hell.

I imagine that is Dante’s 10th Circle of Hell: Forever listening to Kid Rock background music while floating in a sea of Bud Light, being forced to massage MTG’s feet for eternity while Trump explains his grievances to you

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2023 at 8:29 AM, HamsterHookah said:

I can see it from both sides here from a business perspective:

• It's a declining brand and so you are attempting to broaden your demographics and buying personas and think you increase your total addressable market by appealing to young people, progressives, etc. who have never or rarely been your paying customers.
  • On the other hand, you are a lifestyle brand with an entrenched and passionate core identity of lower-middle-class/poor people and your billion dollar marketing machine should have enough data and analytics to show you that this would be a horrible, horrible idea.

Macro-lagers are on steady decline.  Trends come and go.

The real issue for AB is Bud Light is managed like a line item on a gigantic conglomerates sales reports.  Not the flagship brand of the largest American beer producer.

13 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I imagine that is Dante’s 10th Circle of Hell: Forever listening to Kid Rock background music while floating in a sea of Bud Light, being forced to massage MTG’s feet for eternity while Trump explains his grievances to you

Even Satan doesn’t want anything to do with MTG or her feet

• Haha 2

On 4/8/2023 at 6:27 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Scum? Really? That seems a little harsh. All I did was share a positive experience I had seeing Kid Rock live. Overreact much?

Oh, right.

At that point in time, Trey and KR had something in common, and it wasn't music.  I was at the two Mountaintview shows immediately following the Vegas run.  We got a Bobby guest spot playing El Paso FTW.  

Edited by dcbc

Light beer functions well as purified water if you find yourself in a Cloudcroft cabin for a long weekend and it turns out the regular water tank has algae in it. They call it "beer" but you can cook soup with it, make coffee, brush your teeth, whatever, man.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Macro-lagers are on steady decline.  Trends come and go.

The real issue for AB is Bud Light is managed like a line item on a gigantic conglomerates sales reports.  Not the flagship brand of the largest American beer producer.

Give it a few months and the horrified and offended intolerant assholes will forget why they weren’t getting Bud Light and go right back to buying it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Translation: I might not be able to sell the crappy beer I've been selling.

They will never lose the morning saltwater fishing market.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The hits keep coming when you take a big bet to broaden your TAM and it backfires and you not only don't gain any new marketshare but you anger your core demographic:

Bud Light's partnership with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney and its dissolution is still experiencing backlash, The Wall Street Journal reports. In early May, U.S. sales volume went down more than 28% compared to the same time last year, according to consulting company Bump Williams' Nielsen data analysis. Last week, LGBTQ+ rights organization Human Rights Campaign suspended parent company Anheuser-Busch’s Corporate Equality Index score, a ranking of companies based on policies for LGBTQ+ workers. Now, Bud Light is trying to refocus efforts on TV commercials surrounding themes of country music and football.

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

The hits keep coming when you take a big bet to broaden your TAM and it backfires and you not only don't gain any new marketshare but you anger your core demographic:

Bud Light's core demo was and is an aging cohort of late boomer and Gen-X Dockers Dads. What they didn't account for was that a non-demographic (in terms of how marketers traditionally thought of demographics, i.e. the crosstabs)  faction inside their run rate customer base would view attempts to sell beer to queer people as betrayal and end their consumption of the brand permanently. 
If I was still doing competitive strategy for a living, my advice would be to primarily focus on keeping the dockers dads in line with retail shelf space and discounts, and put the expense dollars into winning Gen-Z by doubling down on the gays (10-12% of the population).
The red hats will never be back. Might as well make it an asset. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

24 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Bud Light's core demo was and is an aging cohort of late boomer and Gen-X Dockers Dads. What they didn't account for was that a non-demographic (in terms of how marketers traditionally thought of demographics, i.e. the crosstabs)  faction inside their run rate customer base would view attempts to sell beer to queer people as betrayal and end their consumption of the brand permanently. 
If I was still doing competitive strategy for a living, my advice would be to primarily focus on keeping the dockers dads in line with retail shelf space and discounts, and put the expense dollars into winning Gen-Z by doubling down on the gays (10-12% of the population).
The red hats will never be back. Might as well make it an asset. 

They sell shitty beer to racists and homophobes.  They should have known that adding diversity into their advertising wouldn't have actually added any new customers but would lose so of their old customers.  As long as they make shitty beer, they won't be increasing their sales to younger generations who actually want something that tastes good.  They should have continued their ads using attractive women and "manliness" airing right after ads for boner pills so that they could keep their customer base--fat, racists, homophobic, impotent cucks with no taste.  

15 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

They sell shitty beer to racists and homophobes.  They should have known that adding diversity into their advertising wouldn't have actually added any new customers but would lose so of their old customers.  As long as they make shitty beer, they won't be increasing their sales to younger generations who actually want something that tastes good.  They should have continued their ads using attractive women and "manliness" airing right after ads for boner pills so that they could keep their customer base--fat, racists, homophobic, impotent cucks with no taste.  

But that's the problem. It's a dying business if you aren't trying to break into emerging markets, like the youth and the progressive and the LGBTQ, etc.

They know that at an executive level and so they brought in some change agent-y folks to make some waves and pivots and take some risks. They definitely modeled the risks out but I am guessing the risks and backlash was greater than any model could have projected. They effectively fired and threw the folks under the bus who they hired to do this exact job.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was down in the Keys for a couple of weeks.  One particularly hot day, I walked up to a waterfront patio bar (aren't they all down there) that had the temp readings on the taps.  The bud light tap ran 35 degrees.   Bartender says what'll you have?  I say Bud Light.  He says "bottle or draft"?  I say "draft". 

He says "yeah, since the trans thing, everybody orders draft. Nobody wants a bud light bottle in front of them". 

49 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

As long as they make shitty beer, they won't be increasing their sales to younger generations who actually want something that tastes good. 

Please. They drink White Claw. 

28 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

But that's the problem. It's a dying business if you aren't trying to break into emerging markets, like the youth and the progressive and the LGBTQ, etc.

They know that at an executive level and so they brought in some change agent-y folks to make some waves and pivots and take some risks. They definitely modeled the risks out but I am guessing the risks and backlash was greater than any model could have projected. They effectively fired and threw the folks under the bus who they hired to do this exact job.

Exactly. They had a model miss (you always do!) and now they are worse off than square one. 

Here's the thing - beer and CPG companies have always done this - delivered narrowcasted marketing to emerging markets, including to the LGBTQ+ worlds, going back years. What they missed was that partisan media would arbitrarily choose this one, this time, and make it a symbol in their culture war. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Please. They drink White Claw. 

Exactly. They had a model miss (you always do!) and now they are worse off than square one. 

Here's the thing - beer and CPG companies have always done this - delivered narrowcasted marketing to emerging markets, including to the LGBTQ+ worlds, going back years. What they missed was that partisan media would arbitrarily choose this one, this time, and make it a symbol in their culture war. 

So now I guess the play is to retrench (e.g. football games and country music commercials referenced above) and tread water until the world forgets about this and then they can try to pivot another way?

The bottom line is they have to do something to grow and their target demo is dying on the vine and progressives/liberals/trans and young people don't want to drink bud light, for all the potshots you can read even on this thread about it being pee water and poor people beer, even before this controversy.

The only time the youth ever drink Bud Light it seems is when it is a) free and b) in college years

28 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

So now I guess the play is to retrench (e.g. football games and country music commercials referenced above) and tread water until the world forgets about this and then they can try to pivot another way?

I don't think they can retrench. Once you're burnt, you stay burnt. They can either fully commit to the future with libs and Gen-Zers or they are out of the top 10 by 2027 or so.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't think they can retrench. Once you're burnt, you stay burnt. They can either fully commit to the future with libs and Gen-Zers or they are Shlitz by 2035.

Retire a-b name, absorbed into InBev. Rebrand bud and bud light as Eagle and Eagle light or something equally kitschy. Also start some sort of other brand that is targeted to the lgbqt community. 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b9x5m0kj9h3wildf4qdv

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't think they can retrench. Once you're burnt, you stay burnt. They can either fully commit to the future with libs and Gen-Zers or they are out of the top 10 by 2027 or so.

Nah they won’t give a shit in a year. They’ll be trying to cancel someone else for something stupid. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Retire a-b name, absorbed into InBev. Rebrand bud and bud light as Eagle and Eagle light or something equally kitschy. Also start some sort of other brand that is targeted to the lgbqt community. 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b9x5m0kj9h3wildf4qdv

Okay then, for the LGBTQ+ community, we have Muff, Muff Lite, and Muff Dry or the beer that happens whenever Kid Rock walks into a room.

Less than a decade ago, Kid Rock was beyond a washed up has-been that could have died and been on a VH-1 documentary and none of us would have even noticed.  Now he's taking on Bud Light and has a better than not chance of being the next Secretary of Commerce of my country because of a game show host.  What a time to be alive.  

• Gil Bang changed the title to Kid Rock (and Bud Light slap-fight) y’all