Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

The blanket negging of a opinion you don’t agree with is also crazy to me also lol. Thanks @Bullneck    Love you, don’t let all that hate eat you up.  I’ll see my evidently hated difference of opinion on a message board out.  

E4E58691-8E76-4E0E-A847-08C5D7A691BA.gif

It's not a "blanket" per se.  I just neg your dumb posts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

Is this the thread where we talk about how things could be made better in the Ukraine? Or just the Donald Trump is an orange Putin puppet vs. Joe "Let's Go Brandon" Biden is senile and weak debate?

I was hoping for the former because Putin is our true enemy, not other Americans. Probably a fool's errand.

Meh. It's the surly shag focusness is not our strong suit.

Edited by cactusflinthead

6 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Left it blank..    The thinking that if you don’t like either so you don’t means you don’t care is crazy to me.  Why do you have to choose a lesser of two if you don’t think either is right for the job?   Having a option that doesn’t fit other peoples narrative is frowned upon I see. CR is serious business I guess. 

Troll or idiot?  See, I bought a car.  It matched my specs I wanted better than the other car.   The other car had featured I liked as well, quite a few that were better than in the one I bought, but overall the one I picked was the better overall choice, but damn I preferred some of the other features.   See this is how an adult thinks.  Biden was not my first choice, but I saw him for what he is, an elder statesmen, competent, understands government, believes in the rule of law, believes in our fundamental representative democracy and he can admit past mistakes.  The horror!      

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I don’t know if the point was you thought I was lying or something, but there are a lot of tweets like this. 

There was a discussion regarding this (plus Putin's comments) that I caught a fraction of on the radio this morning. Can't recall if it was from BBC etc, but essentially they had one of the academic/policy fellows and he gave his opinion that while it was too early to tell, one strategy by Putin might be in escalating the 'we're fighting Nazis' in Ukraine talk is that he wants to quell Ukrainian nationalism and going further, even take over the govt to install Russia friendlies. The academic was a little wishy-washy with his analysis, and I can't blame him, he's gauging all this from afar, but some of those elements in Ukraine do provide cover for Putin and he's smart enough to use that or even instigate it.

I will quickly defer to the more knowledgeable, but the cut them off from SWIFT sentiment sounds like 'be careful what you wish for.'

Officials in Europe have noted that the loss of SWIFT access by Russia could be a drag on the broader global economy. Russia has also equated a SWIFT ban to a declaration of war. And because the system cements the importance of the U.S. dollar in global finance, outright bans also carry the risk of pushing countries to use alternatives through the Chinese government or blockchain-based technologies.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-putin-russia-sanctions-e7cf432771171840f7ed70542b891a6e

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

The blanket negging of a opinion you don’t agree with is crazy to me also lol. Thanks @Bullneck    Love you, don’t let all that hate eat you up.  I’ll see my evidently hated difference of opinion on a message board out.  

E4E58691-8E76-4E0E-A847-08C5D7A691BA.gif

Oh like DT? How many of my posts today would have been negged over there?

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Can’t help but wonder what Paul Manafort is up to these days.

Probably trying to get putin to appoint him to some post russian annexed Ukraine leadership position.   Putin would send him to oversee  Chernobyl Farms.   

Edited by Nivek

6 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Oh like DT? How many of my posts today would have been negged over there?

I don’t know, I’m not immature enough to neg people cause they don’t agree with me.  Cause to me a message board isn’t serious business.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Fuck You 5

20 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

We do not control SWIFT. Talk to the Germans about it. While your at it get the Swiss in line.

the swiss are not members of the EU and have no say in swift. 

e. yes the germans need to get in line.  They seem to always be on the wrong side of history. every single time

Edited by Gidnik

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

There’s no bad faith in it either.  I mean is it not ok to think a president should be able to give a good speech and speak clearly?  I’m not making fun of him, I just think we can do much better then what we have been given to choose from the last few years.  

So obviously, Clinton and Obama are your favorite presidents. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Can’t help but wonder what Paul Manafort is up to these days.

Also thinking about how Rudy G never really was investigated beyond the 'rounding up the usual suspects Casablanca method' for being an unregistered foreign agent for Russian-backed Ukrainians. The whole Derkach episode with Rudy and Derkach is allegedly a Russian agent investigation is moving very sloooowly and will likely be too late to affect any of the principals.

Just now, TurkeyChew said:

I have actually read some analysis that Putin does want Ukraine for the grain and agriculture to feed people. It's not a crazy tweet, if those reports are remotely true.

A lot of people are saying that.

Say, how did you get back in the green?  Hmmm

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

I have actually read some analysis that Putin does want Ukraine for the grain and agriculture to feed people. It's not a crazy tweet, if those reports are remotely true.

I've also heard that Putin is doing this to stop Nazi-ism and the genocide of Russians in Ukraine.

Fun fact: Russia is already the largest exporter of wheat in the world.  You know what they don't need?  Ukrainian wheat.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Um, when I want oranges, I have to go to the store and buy them. Not bomb the Rio Grande Valley so I can grow them myself. Or am I missing something beyond your usual snark? Putin has gas and he wants food. Maybe trade for it? Sell his mansion by the sea?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

the swiss are not members of the EU and have no say in swift. 

Oh is this an invitation to post a lot of tweets I have seen all day about the Swiss being unwilling to shut off the banking for Putin and his buds?

Coming right up!

In the immortal words of Mojo Nixon.

I hate banks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Neither!  Why would I vote for a candidate I don’t think is a good choice just to vote for a party?

I made that mistake in 2016. Didn't like either candidate so I sat that one out. What a colossal fucking idiot I was.

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Oh is this an invitation to post a lot of tweets I have seen all day about the Swiss being unwilling to shut off the banking for Putin and his buds?

Coming right up!

In the immortal words of Mojo Nixon.

I hate banks.

2cee8b0b-4589-42fe-abec-0f77e0400b67_scr

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Probably already mentioned but the Ukraine probably wishes they never denuclearized, especially since the US isn't really supporting them beyond finance and limited weaponry.  Of course they probably didn't have much of a choice in the matter either.  

Those were Russian nukes on their soil. They never controlled them. Giving them up was political theater.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

and just as i predicted a huge nothingburger from our government. Russia should be immediately removed from SWIFT. 

Biden, when specifically asked this in his press conference this afternoon, said point blank that "Europe" didn't want to go that route at the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Um, when I want oranges, I have to go to the store and buy them. Not bomb the Rio Grande Valley so I can grow them myself. Or am I missing something beyond your usual snark? Putin has gas and he wants food. Maybe trade for it? Sell his mansion by the sea?

No snark, just saying that there are some analysts who think that a secondary or tertiary reason for invading is practicality with grain/ag. Here is something I just read when I googled it because I can't find the original source I read but will try to dig that one up too: https://steadystate.org/putin-the-practical-wants-ukraine-grain/

Ukraine has approximately a third of the world’s black soil; that is, the coveted “chernozem,” highly fertile and full of humus. This soil is so valuable that, during the transition from Soviet kolkhozy (collective farms) to Ukrainian agribusiness, nearly a billion dollar black market (annually in 2022 dollars) thrived by the truckload. Ukraine’s climate is similar to that of Kansas, the heart of the American breadbasket. Finally, the topography of Ukraine is neither too flat to cause saturation problems nor too rolling to cause cultivation problems, although soil erosion is a threat given the black-market excavation of chernozem and the industrialization of agriculture.

What’s the bottom line of all this ecological geography? For starters, two-thirds of Ukrainian land is farmed. Eastern Ukraine, especially, is grain-crop heaven. Ukraine is the fifth largest wheat exporter in the world. It’s the fourth largest exporter of corn and rye, and third largest of barley. It’s by far the largest exporter of highly profitable sunflower oil.

Ukraine also produces prolific crops of soybeans, potatoes, beets, legumes, fruits, and a variety of vegetables. It refines some of its production into sugars, meal, vegetable oils, and honey. The primary meat products are beef, pork, veal, and chicken. Dairy production waxes and wanes, largely in response to superseding agribusiness trends.

So what Putin wants with Ukraine goes far beyond his designs for NATO, natural gas transmission, and nationalist expansion. He wants the agricultural power of those perfectly positioned, well-drained, “black gold” soils, now and in the future. If he can steal Ukraine, he’ll have the currency of currencies (a lot more of it, that is), the best possible hedge against inflation, and adaptive capacity in the face of climate change.

In other words, Putin covets what Ukraine’s flag stands for. He wants that golden belt of grain. If he can get it, it’s blue skies ahead for Russia.

Edited by TurkeyChew