Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

What would be the target season for this to come together '23?  I guess we would rework the future schedules with the SEC slate but lose the home and home against UM and tOSU? Will be interesting to watch this all unfold.

Fuck it. Let’s do it this year.

22 minutes ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:
If only. Pussy always wins and I am not liking this latest development.
I definitely warmed up to the new Big XII as the only thing that kind of resembled one of the classic College Sports conferences. Where everybody plays each other every year and so forth. And it was our league where we were the big brand. But now we are probably going to be in somebody else's league. It sucks. It kind of feels like we have been defeated and just joining somebody else to do all the heavy lifting.
But at the end of the day it is just all about money and doing what is best for Texas and OU, and Texas and OU got together and made the Big 12 back in the 1990s so I guess now they will destroy it here in the 2020s. Or maybe it wasn't us and OU but the TV execs who just decided "No we are not going to pay for the Big 12, break that shit up right now and give us our super conferences" and we had no choice. Who knows? Well somebody does, but not me.
I feel bad for the other schools in the league, except Baylor. All the non-Baylor schools deserved better.
I guess we cannot make it on our own and time to go hide under Bama's skirts and suck SEC cock like the rest of the country.
It sucks. I hate everything about it. But at the end of the day what I think doesn't matter. I will have to come to terms with it.
And now we are looking at two or three more seasons hanging out in the Big 12 with OU and the schools we fucked over. Like having to live with your Ex for a few years while your divorce is pending. That should be fun.

Unless some epic shenanigans are pulled off by both schools that allow this to happen as quickly as next season...the last part of what you wrote will by far be the worst part. Our already tough schedule just got tougher..every Big12 school has us and blowU as win at all costs...rest of the schedule be damned. ISU already plays with chips on shoulders, but will be extra salty and has the horses this year to back up the bluster..

I think ISU has a real good chance to win the conference. For however long we have it. I think, unlike our cyclone posting friends, ISU will not get relegated like they think.  

20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So, via a few phone calls and texts I've tried to piece together a bit about how this has all come about. Here are the cliff notes. No idea if this is actually what happened, but it's what I've heard and there are a few interesting tidbits.

The TV deals made it clear Big 12 was in trouble. The NIL was like pouring gasoline on the fire.

Interestingly, OU was the key. They didn't want to go Pac 10 or Big 10, so the only option left was SEC, and they like money. They actually are the key decision makers on this, not Texas, but more on that in a moment.

So, OU was intent on heading to the SEC. That put Texas in a tough spot. If they went Big 10 or independent, they would continue to fight the "best conference" problem in recruiting, only it would be even worse because now it would be OU too saying it. Plus, Big 10 and Pac 10 just weren't as attractive, money-wise, demographics-wise, etc. (Rust belt). Texas had nowhere else to go.  Then, they realized they might as well walk into the best marketed conference and just slug it out for leadership.  With the SEC tag, the recruiting would improve. There would be more dollars. It would hurt A&M, it would be neutral wrt OU. Why not just go ahead and try to be the top brand in the top conference?

So if OU is the real force for this change, with Texas eventually realizing it made sense for Texas too, why is Texas getting tagged as the instigator and leader of this? Oklahoma State. OU has a tricky situation leaving behind OSU that is more difficult to manage than Texas leaving behind Tech.

Is this a done deal? Don't know, but what I do know is we are about to learn how savvy CDC and Hartzell are or are not.  To line up Texas legislature support for the move in the background before all of this became public is extremely difficult to do. If they have all of the Texas legislature votes that matter, that is a helluva job they've done.

As far as the move itself? It's brilliant.  The cheating of the SEC was the only real barrier to this move previously, and between NIL and a realization that the NCAA is toothless, Texas decided to just deal with it in favor of all of the benefits of SEC membership.

If the move falls apart and doesn't happen? Oh shit.

Dude, Del Conte was as clueless about all of this going down as he has been on handling NIL. This whole thing is being played out above his level. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

E66_lCcXoAMDY6R?format=jpg&name=900x900

God I seem like a Liucci nut hugger, just posting what I'm seeing on twitter. Most importantly here, he's effectively conceding that this is a done deal.

wish I could see the sheep agreeing with him in the responses.   Certainly there has to be one or two that slaps this guy across the head and says he's full of crap.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, Del Conte was as clueless about all of this going down as he has been on handling NIL. This whole thing is being played out above his level. 

Wait you guys already don’t like him? I thought he was a big time hire.

12 minutes ago, Okie State said:
18 minutes ago, cyatheart said:
this year, yeah....but ISU has a really good recruiting class, best we have ever had, most of them will decomitt....plus Campbell will leave after this year.  In a year or two we will be like a MWC type team at best.  All the Big 12 leftovers will really.

I would expect the decommits to start as soon as this is officially announced. Gundy might finally push the retirement button or jump ship like he has flirted with multiple times over the past decade.

You guys charged OU fans the cost of a season ticket to get a single ticket to any OSU vs OU game in Stillwater.   Such huge college football promoters that you'd rather have empty seats.    Live in what you created.   

If Aggy somehow manages to kill this by leaking it and causing a political blockade, how exactly do they think the other SEC members are going to feel? It's getting more and more obvious that the votes are there and Aggy is the only one trying to torpedo it. Have to imagine there would be some kind of unofficial retaliation from the SEC power players

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

What would be the target season for this to come together '23?  I guess we would rework the future schedules with the SEC slate but lose the home and home against UM and tOSU? Will be interesting to watch this all unfold.

Keep tOSU and UM on the schedule - Not afraid. Bring on everybody - No Prairie View A&M on Texas' schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I definitely warmed up to the new Big XII as the only thing that kind of resembled one of the classic College Sports conferences. Where everybody plays each other every year and so forth. And it was our league where we were the big brand. But now we are probably going to be in somebody else's league. It sucks. It kind of feels like we have been defeated and just joining somebody else to do all the heavy lifting.

But at the end of the day it is just all about money and doing what is best for Texas and OU, and Texas and OU got together and made the Big 12 back in the 1990s so I guess now they will destroy it here in the 2020s. Or maybe it wasn't us and OU but the TV execs who just decided "No we are not going to pay for the Big 12, break that shit up right now and give us our super conferences" and we had no choice. Who knows? Well somebody does, but not me.

I feel bad for the other schools in the league, except Baylor. All the non-Baylor schools deserved better.

I guess we cannot make it on our own and time to go hide under Bama's skirts and suck SEC cock like the rest of the country.

It sucks. I hate everything about it. But at the end of the day what I think doesn't matter. I will have to come to terms with it.

And now we are looking at two or three more seasons hanging out in the Big 12 with OU and the schools we fucked over. Like having to live with your Ex for a few years while your divorce is pending. That should be fun.

I'm still getting that weak ass vibe.

Get that weak shit outta here.

Just now, 'stache said:

Wait you guys already don’t like him? I thought he was a big time hire.

It has nothing to do with like or don’t like. He’s not calling any shots on this deal and isn’t important to getting any of it done. 

Beyond that, he’s an excellent fundraiser and a pretty good personnel guy. He made a fool of himself during the coaching search for football and pissed legitimate money off with his antics. He’s been a net negative out of the gate on NIL. There are people here and elsewhere who will follow-up and say there’s no way to know on any of that and they’re simply uninformed and incorrect. 

So, for me, he’s fine. But I don’t put folks on pedestals, much less gladhanding fundraisers who behave fiefdom first, program welfare second. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, mvlonghorns said:

Why would we need to ditch the tOSU and UM home and homes? Those would still be huge sold out games which will make us tons of money. 

Well they would need to rework all the non-conf games because so many are upcoming against the SEC. But with non-division games against a mix of FLA, Bama, UGA and Auburn my guess is they would. 

1t40wh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, wablty said:

I'm just here for the gang bang.

The lawsuits will be amazing if anything actually happens, though my concern is this is a ploy for TV dollars.

We expecting Fox and ESPN to come swooping in with bags of gold to keep us in the Big 12 again? Though I guess now those are the same entity right?

I mean that would be fine with me but no, not this time.

2 minutes ago, wablty said:

I'm just here for the gang bang.

The lawsuits will be amazing if anything actually happens, though my concern is this is a ploy for TV dollars.

It is a ploy for tv dollars. In a different conference.

Edited by Wishbone

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ah good point, I just assumed he was involved. I have no idea. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It has nothing to do with like or don’t like. He’s not calling any shots on this deal and isn’t important to getting any of it done. 

I don't believe that for a second. I think this is all entirely his doing. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Does anyone have a link to the old kstate blog/cartoon during the last realignment talks where aggy wanted to join the “sex” conference and ate the microphone?

https://www.bringonthecats.com/adventures-of-the-big-12-series

Bring on the Cats! I wish he was still creating new material. Not sure why he stopped. Such great stuff. 

It is from 2010 so....

Texas: And, finally, I'm afraid to ask. A&M?

Texas A&M: I want to join the sex conference.

(Texas puts his face in his palms...)

Texas: Do you mean the SEC conference?

Texas A&M: Yeah, I want to join the sex conference.

Oklahoma: I think we should let him go.

Texas: We can't. The state legislature says he can't go anywhere without me.

(Texas A&M puts his mouth over the microphone in front of him on the table and tries to swallow it...)

Edited by Nicole44
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Do Universities actually have representatives in the legislature? Because I do not think that is a thing. 

The number of actual boosters for those schools in either state's lege is not that big. They might have a few more grads but how many of those politicians are going to take some big courageous stand on such an unimportant issue?