2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It was reported on last week or before that Trill's recruitment would be heavy in the NIL, and we weren't sure how interested we'd be in the kid. And we're not swimming in NIL money as it is, so reading between the lines has me somewhat concerned about our current roster. 

Or it was less NIL motivated than thought (at least from collective perspective) not inside info just adding a layer

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Or it was less NIL motivated than thought (at least from collective perspective) not inside info just adding a layer

The only way it was less NIL motivated was he visited us, visited Ohio State, and both parties said they're tapped and he decided on the merits of the school. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The only way it was less NIL motivated was he visited us, visited Ohio State, and both parties said they're tapped and he decided on the merits of the school. 

I meant NIL collective motivated and that he could have compared numbers from texas and Ohio state and realized that corporate NIL money at texas balances that difference out or made it negligible enough that he could pick based on school and roster merits. At the end of the day, Texas One fund doesn’t have to handle every single dollar unlike aggy, solely because of corporate opportunities in Austin compared to those in CS or Colombus

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I meant NIL collective motivated and that he could have compared numbers from texas and Ohio state and realized that corporate NIL money at texas balances that difference out or made it negligible enough that he could pick based on school and roster merits. At the end of the day, Texas One fund doesn’t have to handle every single dollar unlike aggy, solely because of corporate opportunities in Austin compared to those in CS or Colombus

For this to be true, he'd have to have a commitment from corporate deals before stepping foot in Austin. And if that were true, you could knock me over with a feather. Everything else is pure speculation, period. Maybe he is a character fit and made a move because he's betting on himself. That's certainly possible. But it doesn't make my initial surprise absurd, either. 

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

A question for the lawyers, can the NIL deals have a non compete clause. Meaning you have signed with us and must promote us while playing for team A as long as you have not been dismissed by team A and cannot go promote anyone else while playing for anyone other than team A for N years. Do the rules need to be rewritten so that something like this can work or will labor laws make it impossible? At some point signing a contract has to have consequences. Ask Lamar.

immamac already gave a good answer to this, but I will throw in another reason why the answer is effectively "no" - non-competes are disfavored restraints of trade. They're enforceable, but only to the extent that they are reasonably limited in terms of industry, time, and location.

So a non-compete that prohibits a petroleum engineer from working for any oil company, anywhere in the country, for 10 years, will not be enforceable. But if it says that the engineer can't go work for another company providing the same services he was providing (like fracking fluid mixture), who are operating in the Permian basin, for the next year - that might be enforceable. There are also questions of equity involved, where a court won't want to screw some low-level guy out of better job or something similar. 

A Texas court would take a very dim view of a non-compete in an NIL deal for a college kid, especially if it was broad enough to cover teams outside the state. 

Edited by Park Gothic
stupid fucking spelling
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

From Gerry Hamilton’s article:

“I think I can really help in Austin,” Carter told Inside Texas’ Justin Wells. “Great atmosphere, great environment, and warm weather. Tired of playing in Big Ten. Too cold.”

The 6-foot-2, 300-pound native of Georgia with two years to play chose the Longhorns over Ohio State, Arkansas, and Illinois after making visits to all four schools.

Could be NIL, or could be what he said in the quote, screw the Big 10, give me Austin and Bo Davis (and surely enough NIL without being as asshole about it). 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

For this to be true, he'd have to have a commitment from corporate deals before stepping foot in Austin. And if that were true, you could knock me over with a feather. Everything else is pure speculation, period. Maybe he is a character fit and made a move because he's betting on himself. That's certainly possible. But it doesn't make my initial surprise absurd, either. 

Of course, I don’t disagree with your initial surprise whatsoever, I don’t “think” that’s what’s happening without myself or CTJ knowing in some fashion. But my premise was not about this specific commitment only, I mean in general the opportunities here are more abundant even for lesser known players, I think guys like Broughton even have corporate NIL that we can point to which helps offset straight dollar for dollar. 

Ohio state: here is 200k and an f150 lease 

Texas: we won’t give you 200k but we can do 100k plus a Porsche and how much do you like mustard? 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

From Gerry Hamilton’s article:

Could be NIL, or could be what he said in the quote, screw the Big 10, give me Austin and Bo Davis (and surely enough NIL without being as asshole about it). 

Well I'm in Ohio now and it snowed today, so maybe he said fuck it things are close on the NIL, lets go someplace warm for a change. If you a leaving Minnesota and staying in the Big 10, that's on you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Of course, I don’t disagree with your initial surprise whatsoever, I don’t “think” that’s what’s happening without myself or CTJ knowing in some fashion. But my premise was not about this specific commitment only, I mean in general the opportunities here are more abundant even for lesser known players, I think guys like Broughton even have corporate NIL that we can point to which helps offset straight dollar for dollar. 

Texas: we won’t give you 200k but we can do 100k plus a Porsche and how much do you like mustard? 

Gotta imagine that his name will give him some endorsement deal in Texas

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

car sliding GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You seem like a good candidate for Todd Packer to take a shit in your office today. 

In all seriousness, I do get your point. Celebrating while holding ones breath may be the new norm. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I hope the money on the sidelines knows how close this roster is to competing for another title. To lose the opportunity due to NIL related roster churn would really suck. 

I wonder if the future is kind of like what pro sports has (mostly) become - push your chips all-in for a short title window, then dial it back and "rebuild" for several years.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I wonder if the future is kind of like what pro sports has (mostly) become - push your chips all-in for a short title window, then dial it back and "rebuild" for several years.

To just expand on this thought further. I’ve had little luck getting interest from many of my friends in contributing to NIL. But if there really is a belief that, with an edge transfer and maintaining the roster, Texas has a shot at a title, I’m starting to think there are probably 10-20 friends who would at least kick in $200 apiece, if not more.  It’s not much, only $2-4k more, but if a hundred surly folks could do that with their friends, then does $200-400k help much?

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Bo Davis knows how to play the game and he doesn't give a rat's ass whether the admin likes it or not. It can't overcome systematic ventures from other programs fighting for legit 5 stars, but it can easily win a recruitment like this. He's fighting with a hand tied behind his back. We aren't in contention with the difference-makers and winning recruitments like this and Sydir is his only hope to field a solid unit in the future.

No applicant is turning down double the money.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My input is that the Carter commitment is a win, and indicative of what I have been preaching to this board, but elsewhere in the actual decision making process as well. If you can get that kind of quality on the field, that is also a character fit for the program, for the right reasons (ie., it's about more than NIL for Carter) at a single-digit percentage of what it will cost USC to land Alexander, then that's the deal to do. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Two things to support bolded above: 1) he was Academic All Big-10 all three years he was there. 2) he said this: "I think I can really help in Austin,” Carter told Inside Texas. “Great atmosphere, great environment, and warm weather. Tired of playing in Big Ten. Too cold.”

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I am quoting a set of screenshots from the aggie screenshot thread to be illustrative and also to sprinkle in some humor with the darkness of this post.

In reality, some of the aggie takes in this screenshot are true for everyone. Specifically:

1) This is going to be a crazy period. There are a lot of players across the country debating testing the waters. Good ones. They've seen what teammates are making before having ever played a snap or after transferring in and now the guys who are already producing want a cut. It's a fucking tsunami. It's hard to combat. Even being organized, it's a task for every school. I mean that, too. Every school. 

2) The velocity of the moves this period could be shocking. You think it would be a great idea to put a big play in for Bear Alexander? What about 50 players of his skill level? You can't sign everyone. 

3) Every school also has to try retain all of their guys that they want. Not every player is currently getting any or some money. Some may not be playing much yet but have value to the program and the staff wants to keep them. That's a tough sell to exhausted NIL efforts already. It's also a hard pitch to corporate. This is why a "floor" is so obviously important and will only grow in importance.

4) Schools are going to lose guys that they don't want to lose. It won't just be ATM. There is a high likelihood that Texas will be impacted too. Texas now has a talent rich roster and a lot of mouths to feed. 

5) Even well-staffed scouting programs are about to overwhelmed. Surprises could well be plenty. 

6) My big hope is that most schools are fucking hustling to retain their own guys and the liquidity simply isn't there to justify a bunch of exits. 

7) Before we have too much fun at the expense of ATM clowns, stay humble until this is over and Texas has made it's way through it. 

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but this shit is a fucking beast and it isn't nearly tamed. 

#6 is a big one, y’all. It’s simply not sustainable to have tons of guys making $100s of thousands every season, year over year, much less millions.

I feel like we might eventually see some teams try to build a championship roster for 1-2 seasons, chill for a couple years to refill coffers, then run it again. That’s the only way I can see anybody being able to go after a ton of the really elite talent in any given year. Done properly, it would be a fucking sight to behold. That being said, this isn’t what Horns With Heart (One Fund) was founded to do. Really need corporate and a lot of folks with fuck you money to pull that off.

• Hook 'Em 3

Additionally, as CTJ noted, there are so many guys that are getting nothing. It really sucks for them. A great analogy is the current job market for many industries. You have employees that have been in the company forever, have shown their worth and their loyalty, but new hires straight out of undergrad are making as much or more than those folks who have been around forever. What can those employees do? Ask for a raise and maybe get 8% instead of their usual 3-5%? Or do they go on a few interviews and see that they can get a 50% increase? Because that’s the kind of shit we’re dealing with. Current employers in this scenario (aka the NIL collectives) have to offer all those guys something pretty substantial to keep them from going on those interviews. It was inevitable in hindsight, but it’s happened so fucking fast, a lot of people got out over their skis, and everybody is racing to figure it out…some doing much better than others!

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Two things to support bolded above: 1) he was Academic All Big-10 all three years he was there. 2) he said this: "I think I can really help in Austin,” Carter told Inside Texas. “Great atmosphere, great environment, and warm weather. Tired of playing in Big Ten. Too cold.”

Glad he visited in the spring wait till they are asking him to play in the afternoon in September after playing in Minnesota early football season weather for 3 years.

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Glad he visited in the spring wait till they are asking him to play in the afternoon in September after playing in Minnesota early football season weather for 3 years.

He grew up in Georgia.  The vast majority of that state knows what hot in September feels like.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I believe trill pickles may be what you are going for.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No, you’re just running your fucking mouth without a clue and riding everyone else’s coattails while stating the obvious. Shut the fuck up on this subject. You actively make others not want to give as they read you. 

Did you know that when we have more money coming into NIL we will be able top pay more players top dollar? That's insane!

Eric Nahlin: Addition of Trill Carter addresses issues in 2023 and 2024

The addition of former Minnesota defensive tackle Trill Carter is a good reminder of a number of favorable aspects UT football has going for it. Before we get to those, let’s discuss the newest addition to the roster.

Carter is originally from Leesburg, Georgia. He was MVP of the state championship game his senior year after recording four sacks. If that’s not how he earned his nickname, he certainly deserved it on that day. He was a three-star recruit with offers from Arkansas, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, and Kentucky. These aren’t world beaters but they are programs that produce real football players.

He eventually signed with a Minnesota program that punches above its weight. I keep waiting for the shine to wear off of PJ Fleck, but back to back 9-4 seasons are nothing to sneeze at, though Iowa was able to open it up and score 13 on him. Minnesota has played good defense and Carter has been a mainstay after becoming a two-year starter. He earned Honorable Mention All-Big Ten this past season. Texas landing a legitimate Big Ten starter to add to the rotation, at a position that’s hard to address in the portal, is quite the win.

Last year Carter played 483 snaps. That’s a real workload on his 6-foot-2, 300 pound body. We already know he’ll be in shape and ready to provide high effort snaps, especially given the depth of UT’s rotation. He’s known as more of a run stopper but as is often the case, defensive tackle isn’t a stat stuffing position. I can’t profess to have seen a lot of Gopher football in recent years, but he’s going to improve depth at Texas for this year and next. Carter having two years of eligibility is probably the lede given the potential attrition at the position after 2023 and UT getting set to join the SEC.

Now, how about those favorable aspects fans tend to forget while focusing on the minutiae? With all the changes in CFB over the years, one that routinely stands out is the Longhorns should always be a net beneficiary of the portal. I use ‘net’ because it’s inevitable Texas will experience a difficult loss, but on balance Texas should annually upgrade its roster through the portal.

Another good thing Texas has going for it is the staff’s ability to construct a roster rather than simply collecting talented players. I’m perfectly fine with them not getting stuck in the Bear trap. The coaches had a specific need in mind and the second a player became available who addressed that need the coaches were aggressive. An added bonus, beating Ohio State and Arkansas for a player never gets old.

In the portal era Texas should never go into a season with glaring issues. The addition of Carter reminds us the coaches don’t even want to go into the season with a minor question mark if they don’t have to. A consistent rotation of T’Vondre Sweat, Alfred Collins, Byron Murphy, Trill Carter, Aaron Bryant, Vernon Broughton, and Sydir Mitchell gives the staff similar depth to last year. That’s to say nothing of potential pass rushing snaps for Jaray Bledsoe and Zac Swanson. Now, let’s see if an Edge becomes available who strikes UT’s fancy.

• Hook 'Em 5