Jon Hamm revives 'Fletch'

mchookem

well i was just remarking how few 'leading man' roles Hamm has had post-Mad Men...and saw this today.

'Confess, Fletch'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12718300/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

image.png.6b3df8f9906f933ff68409ecbb984aa4.png

i didn't realize the original was based on a novel, but the sequel was not. this one apparently is based on the second novel. 

it was an iconic role for Chevy...but Hamm also has great comedic timing/chops and tons of charisma. the cast looks pretty good.  

plus...! 

image.png.31f441b1434ad5701f334cb04c43e3da.png

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

49 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Didn't Kevin Smith try to do this many years ago with Jason Lee presumably starring as Fletch?

I could see a younger Jason Lee pulling it off (guy had charisma), but not with Kevin Smith directing. 

heard hamm talking about this on smartless.  it will be a different tone, and much more true to the books.  i can't remember the details, but i think all the disguises/fake names was a chevy thing and they're not doing that.  i think it's more of a private eye/whodunnit type, but i could be misremembering.  the story is all new, so it's not really a "remake".

• Like 3

On 6/2/2022 at 5:21 PM, Bateshorn said:

The book is actually quite good, but it’s much darker than the movies, obviously. It’s about an investigation of a dope ring, if I recall correctly.

Name of book? Would like to read it now. Never knew that fletch was a book

On 6/1/2022 at 3:58 PM, Sbbruin said:

spacer.png

Fletch was a classic.  Leave it that way.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be done well or better. Frankly, I'd like to see a version that doesn't involve Chevy Chase chewing the scenery in every take.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:16 PM, henrygandorf said:

heard hamm talking about this on smartless.  it will be a different tone, and much more true to the books.  i can't remember the details, but i think all the disguises/fake names was a chevy thing and they're not doing that.  i think it's more of a private eye/whodunnit type, but i could be misremembering.  the story is all new, so it's not really a "remake".

Well, if by "all new" you mean "adapted from a different Fletch novel?"

I always thought the "investigative reporter" aspect of the original movie was the best part of the movie, more than Chase's pratfalls.

Edited by Rimbo

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Doesn't mean it couldn't be done well or better. Frankly, I'd like to see a version that doesn't involve Chevy Chase chewing the scenery in every take.

One of the most quotable comedies of the 80's?

I'm sure this will top it. 

Edited by Deej

2 hours ago, Deej said:

One of the most quotable comedies of the 80's?

I'm sure this will top it. 

Movies aren't really quotable anymore. It's weird. Name a movie made in the last five years that compares with, say, Ghostbusters, Three Amigos, Airplane, Animal House, Caddyshack, etc. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Movies aren't really quotable anymore. It's weird. Name a movie made in the last five years that compares with, say, Ghostbusters, Three Amigos, Airplane, Animal House, Caddyshack, etc. 

Back then, everyone had all seen the same stuff. Now entertainment options and preferences are too balkanized for anything but the lowest common denominator to have universal quotability. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not a big Chevy Chase fan, but it's hard to argue with "Fletch" and "Caddyshack".  

I can't see Hamm equaling Chevy's comedic instincts, and avoiding them would be just as bad.  Count me out.

He's gonna lead the bad guys around with the claw of a hammer under their nutsack. It will be hilarious. 

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...