Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To give you a snapshot of how completely, utterly, and totally fucked up we are, let me share with you an image of an item that is actually for sale in a Buccee's or similar such establishment here in Texas (shared with me by a friend):

8e62703c697c5adc15980244aba9352c.jpg

What.  The actual.  Fuck.

It’s designed to give gun humpers Christian chubbies. 

Police knew there were still kids alive at 12:13 p.m. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/full-victims-video-appears-show-texas-911-dispatchers/story?id=85077976

Video obtained by ABC News, taken outside Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, as last week's massacre was unfolding inside, appears to capture a 911 dispatcher alerting officers on scene that they were receiving calls from children who were alive inside the classroom that the gunman had entered -- as law enforcement continued to wait nearly an hour and a half to enter the room.

"Child is advising he is in the room, full of victims," the dispatcher can be heard saying in the video. "Full of victims at this moment."

An ABC News analysis of the video shows that was at approximately 12:13 p.m. -- about 40 minutes after the gunman entered the school.

MORE: 'It was the wrong decision': Did police in Uvalde ignore their own training? 

"Is anybody inside of the building at this...?" the dispatcher asked.

Minutes later, the dispatcher says again: "Eight to nine children."

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

The Canadian wilderness is one place I'd want a 30 round magazine. A pised off moose is nothing to fuck with.

You can run away from a moose. Especially if you’re in the woods because they’re not particularly agile. They’re not predators. They don’t want to eat you. 

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To give you a snapshot of how completely, utterly, and totally fucked up we are, let me share with you an image of an item that is actually for sale in a Buccee's or similar such establishment here in Texas (shared with me by a friend):

Mitch Cumsteen to the white courtesy phone, please.

Edited by Ojo Rojo
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wtf that looks like something @Neikea would be selling lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Pods said:

3 shot and injured at Xavier University after a high school graduation. 

Well, shoot. I didn’t know there was a Xavier University in New Orleans. If it had been the one in Cincinnati then I could’ve made a wisecrack about them being the Musketeers. 

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You can run away from a moose. Especially if you’re in the woods because they’re not particularly agile. They’re not predators. They don’t want to eat you. 

I'd put it at 1 in 10 american adults can out run a moose

TSnfPrs.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, landman said:

Maybe this has already been discussed, but can the President not issue an executive order immediately banning the sale of AR's?  Or at least stopping the sale of them for some period of time so Congress can maybe think about doing something?

I heard Corey Booker on NPR this morning on my way to work. I like Booker.  I was impressed with him during his presidential campaign. The first half of the interview, though, he was deflecting and not really answering the questions or saying anything substantive, just like all politicians. Then he said something along the lines of, "Congress can't really do anything because if they do they will be voted out of office. The political will of the people is driving this issue, just like every other issue, so it's the voters who have to change first, then their Congressmen will follow suit."  First of all, I think he is absolutely right, as fucked up as it is. Politicians elected to Congress are not there to do what's good for the country. That's not just a cynical statement on my part, it's the reality. Because of democracy, people elected to Congress are really just whores to the voters and their campaign contributors, probably not in that order. They don't lead, they don't do anything proactively, they don't do anything to risk being re-elected, which means they try not to do anything politically unpopular. The big problem with this, of course, is that sometimes we have to do shit as a country that people don't like. Because of where we are as a country, "what people want" should not be the guiding principle, as we have seen, because what people want is sometimes bad.

There isn't going to be a huge long-term grass roots movement that shows politicians that the political will of the people has changed enough that it is safe to enact meaningful gun reforms. Congress isn't going to take the lead and do the right thing because it would be political suicide for the ones who matter (namely 10 Republican senators). Long story short, ain't nothing going to change. More children will die.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

That doesn't look like buccees

23 minutes ago, B00M said:

I'd put it at 1 in 10 american adults can out run a moose

TSnfPrs.jpg

I doubt that anyone is riding their Rascal scooter in the Canadian wilderness. Moose are prey. You can run from prey. You can’t run from a predator like, say, a bear. But then there’s a spray for that. Trump’s goons sprayed it on cops defending the Capitol during the insurrection. Apparently it’s pretty nasty stuff. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Seeing the girl with the pink gun actually reminds me of how there's a whole attitude and culture at issue here.  My daughter asked for, and got, a Ruger 10/22 compact for Christmas right before she was 11.  Yes, while it is nominally "her gun," I bought it, I keep it in my gun safe, and I'm the only one with a key.  But, she is the primary shooter, she maintains it, and when we go to the range, it's hers to shoot.

Anyway, she fell in love with it when we took a short visit to Collector's Firearms in Houston.  She picked one up and shouldered it, and it just fit right.  She loved how it felt, and how it would shoot.  So, she asked for it for Christmas.  I shopped around for them, and saw that they offered it with a pink stock -- I asked her if she'd like that.  She looked at me, disgusted -- "no, I'm not a freak," or similar words.  She had really strong opinions about the fact that she wanted the gun because she wanted to go shoot it with me, not because it was going to be tied to her identity or some shit.

We have pictures of me at a very young age (like 5) with a .22.  My dad taught me to shoot with a little Winchester bolt action .22, because I loved to tag along when he went rabbit hunting.  He wasn't teaching me to be a gun person so much as he was introducing me to one of the many tools our family used down at the ranch.  To me, even at that age, it was a means to an end -- I'd carry a .22 so I could shoot a cottontail too (and grandma could make me her cast iron skillet fried rabbit, which was so freaking good).  I literally have been holding and using firearms for nearly 50 years.  Using them is a big part of who I am, recreationally -- I love to hunt and fish.  But just like my rods and reels don't define me, neither do my guns.  I use them both to do something I like to do.

Our gun IDENTITY culture is fucked up, but then, I think we have a lot of identity culture problems broadly (for fuck's sake, we have people who fly multiple flags dedicated to a former president, because being a member of that "tribe" is the defining element of their lives.....that's some fucked up shit).  And the pictures above, that's all those folks are doing.  Guns are not their tool.  "Guns!" is their tribe.  That's fucked up.

Good post. Thinking about the outrage and instant hotel security involvement when a toddler touched a video poker game at a wedding in Montana. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

@Mitch Cumsteen has seen worse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I own guns.  My wife and I have concealed carry permits.  We had a neighbor that we got into an adversarial relationship with (we hired and later fired him).  One day my wife was in a hurry to get kids to school, and her rushing out the driveway was interpreted as an attempt to "run him over."  He took to social media and posted he was going to always be armed from now on and would not let himself be "threatened" again.  I talked to the sheriff, and he came out to mediate a bit.  He was sympathetic, but said there wasn't much he could do since there was not a crime.  I asked about red flag laws, since they are in place in Colorado and this guy has known mental health issues.  His countenance towards us immediately changed.  He didn't say fuck you, but all illusions of sympathy were dropped and he left pretty abruptly.  I found out later he's one of several rural county sheriffs that have publicly come out to say they would never enforce Colorado's red flag laws.

You know what I would rather have than a concealed carry permit and the ability for my wife to try to defend herself if this nutbag decides to go postal?  A goddam county sheriff that would enforce red flag laws to disarm this fucker so she doesn't have to.

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Fuck, that's brutal. What are you gonna do? Move to a different neighborhood? 

Hey Gordo, a little advice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Well, shoot. I didn’t know there was a Xavier University in New Orleans. If it had been the one in Cincinnati then I could’ve made a wisecrack about them being the Musketeers. 

Yep. Second only to Howard in sending its pre med majors to medical school.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

The Canadian wilderness is one place I'd want a 30 round magazine. A pised off moose is nothing to fuck with.

Thing is, we all are like, yessir, when it comes to having a plug in our guns to limit them to three shots for birds.   But for humans, nah fuck that, no limits!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m infuriated if the cops lied about it, but the proper response to any information about doors or teachers or what the school didn’t do or did do should be “who the fuck cares.”
We are profoundly broken and insane as a society if we are locking little children in fortresses so they don’t get murdered.  

We spend a lot of gotdamn time talking about amendments and clauses. Let’s go back to the preamble:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Domestic tranquility. Justice. General welfare. Common defense.  That’s why the document exists. The Constitution does not exist to be served.  It’s not foreordained that the rest of the document will result in such a felicitous state of affairs.  It’s not Holy Writ.  Allah did not reveal it to the framers. And if it’s not ensuring these things, then change the gotdamn thing. 

Because sending 5.56 x 45 mm NATO rounds tearing through the little arms, legs, stomachs, and faces—faces!— of fourth graders doesn’t have shit to do with domestic tranquility, the common defense, or general welfare. And whatever document allows it needs to start promoting the general welfare some other way. 

Well we have fucked off the justice part, and defined people as corporations…..

I’m done.

Basically all I have heard from the gun buts who don’t actually understand the 2nd amendment is:

I am all for more restrictions on guns!!!!1!1!1!

But since I absolutely can not vote for anyone than Dan Patrick, white washed Cruz and hot wheels, fuck your kids. Now, let’s go ban some books because of faggots!!

• Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m done.

Basically all I have heard from the gun buts who don’t actually understand the 2nd amendment is:

But since I absolutely can not vote for anyone than Dan Patrick, white washed Cruz and hot wheels, fuck your kids. Now, let’s go ban some books because of faggots!!

This is what I expect. I think there are legitimately some R voters that really would be ok with sensible gun laws. But when it is brought up that the only way to get these enacted is to not vote for Rs, nope, game over. They are poisoned. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, B00M said:

Open carrying in public is so fucking stupid and completely unnecessary

But have you considered that the government might go tyrannical at the exact moment these people are buying some Little Debbie's at the grocery store?  How can they protect themselves then?  And how about if a roving gang of 20 to 50 wild, feral hogs run into the Walmart while these people are shopping for some camouflage "Come and Bake It" pot holders?  Who's going to protect the children then?!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TexLonghorn said:

But have you considered that the government might go tyrannical at the exact moment these people are buying some Little Debbie's at the grocery store?  How can they protect themselves then?  And how about if a roving gang of 20 to 50 wild, feral hogs run into the Walmart while these people are shopping for some camouflage "Come and Bake It" pot holders?  Who's going to protect the children then?!

Obviously the guy that's open carrying inside a sleeve/soft case. He's ready for anything and definitely not just being an asshole.

2 hours ago, tchookem said:
3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:
That doesn't look like buccees

I was going to Hruska's.

3 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

The hallway to hell (to the bathrooms). 

My first thought too. Hruskas. Place is cringy as hell but has good food. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I doubt that anyone is riding their Rascal scooter in the Canadian wilderness. Moose are prey. You can run from prey. You can’t run from a predator like, say, a bear. But then there’s a spray for that. Trump’s goons sprayed it on cops defending the Capitol during the insurrection. Apparently it’s pretty nasty stuff. 

Cape buffalo is a prey animal and kills as many people as lions do each year. A moose can run at up to 35 mph, has 6 ft antlers from end to end and weights 3/4 of a ton. More people are attacked by moose than bears in Alaska and Canada each year. In part, because they are 3 to 4 times more numerous than bears, but an angry, scared, or horny moose can fuck you up. Just because something is not a predator, does not mean it can't attack, hurt, or even, kill humans. Some animals are just cantankerous (bison, hippos and elephants are other good examples).

That said, good for Canada at least attempting something, at least young kids dying here spurred some attempts to change somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 11:53 AM, horn4life said:

Interesting a lot of detail on the propped open door that teachers walked by, but when asked about "Where was the resource officer?"   Answer; "We will have all those answers down the road."   What is interesting to me is that timeline here BEGINS at the school, rather than after the shooting of the Grandmother in the face.  

11:27 door propped open by teacher; 11:28 truck crashes, teacher runs for phone from room #132 (outing the teacher) then goes to door that remains propped open; 11:30 teacher calls 911 man with a gun as the kid opens fire on funeral home workers.  11:31 first shots fired at school.  11:36 killer enters school. 

I feel sorry for the guy talking as he is tasked with standing up and giving indefensible timelines for indefensible inaction.  Hundreds of rounds fired initially.  Basically the logic is that all the kids are already dead. And that guides the decision to not breach sooner.  You will notice as this drags on that almost all the inaccurate information originally given will be more flattering to law enforcement.  The information that comes out later that is accurate will most often be information that is unflattering.

It is a horrible thing for anyone to have to stand up and address this shit.  I genuinely feel sorry for the guy.  But I also recognize why the door propped open was mentioned twice early in the press conference, and the timeline starts at the school rather than when Grandma gets shot in the face. It's by design.

Sad that is so easy to predict the deceptions of law enforcement.  I honestly wish it was not the case.

Uvalde teacher closed open door

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah, good luck with that.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’m done.

Welcome to the She-Ra GunNut Haters Club!

Thing is, we all are like, yessir, when it comes to having a plug in our guns to limit them to three shots for birds.   But for humans, nah fuck that, no limits!
And those fast flying Teal or shot out WW Dove haul fucking ass. Terrified kids, not so much. It's all so fucking bizarre.

I’m done.

Same, I told a buddy of mine, with three grade school kids, the other day: "well it's statistically unlikely you ever have to deal with this."

That's the best we have. "Well consider how many schools we have, it's going to happen, just not likely to you."

That's our response.
Nothing is changing, in fact we will likely further relax gun laws in response. We have so far.

1 hour ago, Jhawkmvp said:

Cape buffalo is a prey animal and kills as many people as lions do each year. A moose can run at up to 35 mph, has 6 ft antlers from end to end and weights 3/4 of a ton. More people are attacked by moose than bears in Alaska and Canada each year. In part, because they are 3 to 4 times more numerous than bears, but an angry, scared, or horny moose can fuck you up. Just because something is not a predator, does not mean it can't attack, hurt, or even, kill humans. Some animals are just cantankerous (bison, hippos and elephants are other good examples).

That said, good for Canada at least attempting something, at least young kids dying here spurred some attempts to change somewhere.

Yeah but how many people who get killed by moose or bison did so because they got to close to them trying to take a photo? I’ve encountered both. I’ve seen a bison freak out when someone got too close. They didn’t get killed but they were idiots thinking that they were at a petting zoo. And the best defense against a moose with 6 ft antlers is two trees that are 3 ft apart. 

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yeah, good luck with that.

I know better than to provoke a moose. Plus I can swim. I’m not a stupid bear. If I found myself in that situation I’d dive into the water and swim to safety, not that I would ever be in that situation in the first place. I’m not going to try to outrun one on open ground, where they can run in a straight line. In the woods, no problem. They’ll lose interest. I’d be a hell of a lot more frightened by a grizzly that was out to get me. I could climb a tree to get away from a moose. Not so with a bear.

Btw, I’ve never eaten either moose or bear. I’d like to try them sometime. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Let’s turn this blasphemy and idolatry into something a bit more redeemed or a least self-aware of its irony with a few potential captions:

Isaiah 2:4 
He shall judge between the nations, and shall decide disputes for many peoples; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.

Jonah 2:8 Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love.

1 John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

Leviticus 19:4 Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the Lord your God.

Matthew 26:52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Matthew 5:38-39 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

10 hours ago, Red Five said:

If watching porn made you commit mass murders, well, I wouldn't be here typing this right now. 

There would be a lot of dead motherfuckers in my wake nightly!

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah but how many people who get killed by moose or bison did so because they got to close to them trying to take a photo? I’ve encountered both. I’ve seen a bison freak out when someone got too close. They didn’t get killed but they were idiots thinking that they were at a petting zoo. And the best defense against a moose with 6 ft antlers is two trees that are 3 ft apart. 

I mean, they’re not gonna kill ya.  So like, if you give ‘em a quick, short, sharp shock…they won’t do it again. Dig it?   Good manners don’t cost nothing, do they.  
image.gif.ebeb14003af12434ab41253e354a0613.gif

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread