Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

I bet it was just a human being a human. I've seen it in my own business where "it'll never happen here" leads to lapses where this wasn't locked or that was left out. This is especially true in a small town like Uvalde where you have a strong sense of community and a feeling of safety. 

Normalization of deviation

The gradual process by which the unacceptable becomes acceptable in the absence of adverse consequences.

At least that's what we call it in aviation.
  • Hook 'Em 7

So the story we're being fed is that the dude in charge thought it was no longer an active shooter situation. In other words, he assumed everyone was already dead. Right? But, everyone could still hear gunshots. And of course all the calls and texts begging for help. So, million dollar question, wtf? That's not incompetence. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

So the story we're being fed is that the dude in charge thought it was no longer an active shooter situation. In other words, he assumed everyone was already dead. Right? But, everyone could still hear gunshots. And of course all the calls and texts begging for help. So, million dollar question, wtf? That's not incompetence. 

They are all sociopaths and/or cowards.  That's all I can come up with.  Cops, R politicians, R voters, all of em.

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Jeez, this stuff about the cops is sickening.  Uvalde is a small Mexican-American town in South Texas, something I’m super familiar with.  There’s not a lot of tension between cops and community in those locales, they recruit almost exclusively from a local pool, and the citizenry generally likes their cops, who are friends and cousins and siblings. All this is to say I do not know how these guys are going to be able to show their faces in a place like Uvalde. I’d be packing my stuff already, I can’t imagine how that department ever regains trust or even to,erwnde. 

Also, all this plays directly into the harden the schools/train the teachers narrative and we need to keep our eyes on the ball. 

We know how.  They'll blame the shooter who is rightfully to blame.   But there will be no introspection.

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

prediction: Abbott will make a big deal of forcing out one or more high level DPS folks to address this 'failure of leadership'.

What they're really going to say is that the problem is not enough white guys in the police force. Give it a day or two.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

According to CNN:

"US Marshals said in a statement they were called to the school at 11:30 a.m. and arrived about 40 minutes later from Del Rio, about 70 miles away."

So even if these Del Rio Marshals were able to head out of their station the very second they were called, they would have to have gone

Mathematics GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

105 miles an hour on average for the whole trip?  Faster than that if you consider the time they took to get prepared and actually get into the cars.  Would that even be a possibility on that stretch of road?  I've never driven from Del Rio to Uvalde, but hell, I can't even drive the full speed limit on most 70-mile trips because of some wide-load mobile home or slow truck packed with too much furniture along the way.  Is this just another LEO exaggeration of how they did everything right to deflect blame?

Username does not check out.

Biden needs to call a press conference today announcing the creation of a federal taskforce or some other federal entity that will be charged with investigating what happened here.  

FBI should be investigating at the very least

Eve if it was incompetence it needs to be discovered so other small towns can be trained

I don’t think it was just incompetence though. If what we are hearing now is this bad think about what they aren’t telling us

No idea how those cops can live with themselves. Holding parents back while their kids are being gunned downed is just so wrong
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

She’s not the lucky one. Her family is. She’s going to have to live with this for the rest of her life.

Obviously "lucky" is a relative term.  Luckier than the kid whose blood she smeared on herself to look dead.  God, I want to throw up just typing that.

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So the story we're being fed is that the dude in charge thought it was no longer an active shooter situation. In other words, he assumed everyone was already dead. Right? 

So the cops decided to stay out of a building full of gunshot victims long after they determined that any risk to them had ended because… why?

So they’re not only pussies, but also heartless, apathetic pieces of shit?

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

image.thumb.jpeg.1e001a6f8ac8d860772247747ae05b9b.jpeg

And yet in the State of Texas, a bartender or server who makes the typical $2.13 hourly wage can be held criminally and civilly liable for the actions of a third party patron who drinks and drives and kills someone. 

And that business gets safe harbor protection if the employee has TABC training up to date. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Updawg said:

FBI should be investigating at the very least

Eve if it was incompetence it needs to be discovered so other small towns can be trained

I don’t think it was just incompetence though. If what we are hearing now is this bad think about what they aren’t telling us

No idea how those cops can live with themselves. Holding parents back while their kids are being gunned downed is just so wrong

That is why you fail.   A conscious, sense of duty, or ethics is not part of the modern police force.  Just a self-congratulatory circle jerk.  If you join law enforcement you will either unzip and join in or get run the fuck out.  

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It just occurred to me that Abbott's statement of "it could have been worse" means "at least it wasn't white kids."

It could have been worse is the classic defense for a fuck-up.  I recall hearing a guy say that while our CEO oversaw the company losing 700 million in a year while getting a bonus of 7 million for his stewardship.   It could have been worse!   

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

These are your neighbors, your coworkers and your friends. They're the parents of your kid's teammate, your accountant, your pharmacist....

There's too many people that are too far gone for anything to change.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

These are your neighbors, your coworkers and your friends. They're the parents of your kid's teammate, your accountant, your pharmacist....

There's too many people that are too far gone for anything to change.

I'm sure Aurora, CO, had folks who felt that way. I reckon they'd sing a different tune if this was Humble or wherever they hell they're posting from. But it was mexican kids so

9 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Had another conservative student a few years ago who told me it was his constitutional right to own a tank and the government was preventing him from doing so.

my response to him in front of the entire class: “why the fuck do you need a tank, John!”

I think he transferred to aggy or Sam 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 5

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread