Hudson Card

Neonmoon

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I hope he sticks around to back up Ewers next year so Arch can redshirt. 

I think he's set to graduate in December. He's good enough to where he shouldn't stick around and should go seek out a starting role somewhere, but I guess never say never.

Wright seems to have progressed along enough to where he could be a capable backup if need be in 2023. Murphy is obviously a wildcard. Guy could be the backup or might not even be on the roster by next spring. Neither would surprise me.

image.png.2b532b453a1ce641a171f7a7f9b598a7.png
On a different note, some folks have commented on Card's arm strength. This was a poor decision, but not because of arm strength. He didn't have his feet set and threw this 50 yards in the air. Card has his issues, but lack of arm strength isn't one of them.

Card’s issue isn’t arm strength, not even healthy anyway, it’s that no one is even sure that his eyes are open when he’s making these throws. A little touch on the short/intermediate stuff would be nice too. He’s kind of got the Garrett Gilbert everything is a bullet thing going on.

I think he's set to graduate in December. He's good enough to where he shouldn't stick around and should go seek out a starting role somewhere, but I guess never say never.
Wright seems to have progressed along enough to where he could be a capable backup if need be in 2023. Murphy is obviously a wildcard. Guy could be the backup or might not even be on the roster by next spring. Neither would surprise me.

Neither has played, and neither was expected to play barring a full on disaster with injuries. I don’t really know that we can make any kind of evaluation of either. Certainly not Murphy, who was recruited as a multi year project.

16 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

image.png.2b532b453a1ce641a171f7a7f9b598a7.png

On a different note, some folks have commented on Card's arm strength. This was a poor decision, but not because of arm strength. He didn't have his feet set and threw this 50 yards in the air. Card has his issues, but lack of arm strength isn't one of them.

Arm strength isnt about how far you can throw a ball. There's a lot of people that can throw a football 40 or 50 yards. Arm strength is about how fast does the ball get there.

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

it’s that no one is even sure that his eyes are open when he’s making these throws.  He’s kind of got the Garrett Gilbert everything is a bullet thing going on.

image.jpeg.808970d5b87a3d77020bd9bf56b4671d.jpeg

Remember when it eventually came out the dude actually did need contacts? 

We may be onto something here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Arm strength isnt about how far you can throw a ball. There's a lot of people that can throw a football 40 or 50 yards. Arm strength is about how fast does the ball get there.

I don't know I'd just call it arm talent because your how fast thing is determined by the angle and velocity. Basically to be on target it's got to get there when it's supposed to get there.

I agree lofting it a certain distance isn't a good measure - but I will say some air under the ball for the receiver to adjust and get loose and make the catch isn't bad either.

The fact is he doesn't throw a consistent catchable ball. Accuracy is the issue. Deep balls are 10 yds away from the target, other balls are at the feet or don't allow the receiver to catch and run.

He's an ok backup when his legs function because he uses them to make throws easier and run for first downs. Durability is the other problem, we haven't seen him without a limp in a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Dude- this is just fundamentally not true. They would rather play Hudson Card with a peg leg then Charles Wright. He’s an unmitigated disaster and it’s likely that we’d go something like 1-11 or 2-10 against this schedule if he was the starter the entire way. Anyone telling you Wright is progressing is fucking with you or just doesn’t understand, well, anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Dude- this is just fundamentally not true. They would rather play Hudson Card with a peg leg then Charles Wright. He’s an unmitigated disaster and it’s likely that we’d go something like 1-11 or 2-10 against this schedule if he was the starter the entire way. Anyone telling you Wright is progressing is fucking with you or just doesn’t understand, well, anything. 

Huh? Of course they would rather play Hudson Card but the odds of him sticking around to be a backup next year with his degree in hand are probably close to zero.

If Charles Wright (or Murphy for that matter) can’t serve as a bus driver at minimum next year in their 3rd and 2nd year in the program then why are they even on scholarship? They should both be in a place to where he can provide at least average level play as a backup so Manning can redshirt.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Huh? Of course they would rather play Hudson Card but the odds of him sticking around to be a backup next year with his degree in hand are probably close to zero.

If Charles Wright (or Murphy for that matter) can’t serve as a bus driver at minimum next year in their 3rd and 2nd year in the program then why are they even on scholarship? They should both be in a place to where he can provide at least average level play as a backup so Manning can redshirt.

No- I said he’s so bad they would rather play Hudson Card on an actual peg leg.  
Wright can’t play. He can’t drive the bus. He’s a disaster. Full stop. 
Also- Arch doesn’t need to redshirt- it’s absurd. There is not the slightest chance he’s going to be on campus for 5 years, so if Ewers goes down beyond being thrown into action in the middle of the game it’s going to be arch. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No- I said he’s so bad they would rather play Hudson Card on an actual peg leg.  
Wright can’t play. He can’t drive the bus. He’s a disaster. Full stop. 
Also- Arch doesn’t need to redshirt- it’s absurd. There is not the slightest chance he’s going to be on campus for 5 years, so if Ewers goes down beyond being thrown into action in the middle of the game it’s going to be arch. 

Arch doesn't *need* to but it sure seems the plan. 

VY says he is "hearing" Arch will redshirt.  I feel like it was mentioned during his recruitment that the Mannings have no problem with that/prefer it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

VY says he is "hearing" Arch will redshirt.  I feel like it was mentioned during his recruitment that the Mannings have no problem with that/prefer it. 

He may redshirt by default if Ewers is healthy & we're not blowing people out by 30+ every game. It doesn't change the fact that he's probably gone after year 3 no matter what so the RS doesn't really matter a whole lot. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

That is true. And the plan is not for him to go compete for the job or get into a controversy. I’m perfectly sure if everything goes well he will redshirt/not push for playing time. 
it would be, however, a pretty major red flag of Arch refused to play of Ewers was out and he gave us the best chance of winning. Very disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, hook me said:

He may redshirt by default if Ewers is healthy & we're not blowing people out by 30+ every game. It doesn't change the fact that he's probably gone after year 3 no matter what so the RS doesn't really matter a whole lot. 

Neither Peyton nor Eli left early (and Eli even redshirted, so he was at Ole Miss 5 years). I know some things have changed in the last 20 years, but it’s not like both of those guys weren’t already consensus top picks had the come out early. I wouldn’t just assume he’s 3 years and done.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Neither Peyton nor Eli left early (and Eli even redshirted, so he was at Ole Miss 5 years). I know some things have changed in the last 20 years, but it’s not like both of those guys weren’t already consensus top picks had the come out early. I wouldn’t just assume he’s 3 years and done.

Agreed, times have completely changed where I think it is MORE likely.  For one they can get paid and paid well to stay. Mannings already have lots of money. I think it will come down to if he's ready and/or what the projected draft board looks like and where his possible destinations are if he indeed pans out as a top QB.  He's made it clear there is no rush to get to the NFL and that he preferred a sitatuion where he wasn't asked to play day 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Kinda feels like Charles Wright isn't going to be on this team next year.

I am more concerned with Malik. I would love to see him spend a couple years in the system and develop, but I don't know if he will have the patience. 

Card is most definitely making quicker decisions - even if he's still not always making them fast enough.  Down to 2.8 seconds on his 'Time To Throw' on PFF after being at 3.55 last season. 

image.thumb.png.4109dc4905e41d73e4b4f95e08837b7c.png

What is still killing us is his atrocious deep balls.  Worst graded Deep Ball in the Big 12.

image.thumb.png.545e42ddf394a5d4315d9fb1bbfaab58.png

Card is the only QB in the Big12 with Zero deep ball 'Big Time Throws' - (throws that are well placed and delivered into a tight window).

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 7

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

Good honor for Card.

I hope he sticks around to back up Ewers next year so Arch can redshirt. 

Arch can actually be the real backup as long as he doesn't appear in more than 4 or 5 games.  I don't remember which it is.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Card is most definitely making quicker decisions - even if he's still not always making them fast enough.  Down to 2.8 seconds on his 'Time To Throw' on PFF after being at 3.55 last season. 

image.thumb.png.4109dc4905e41d73e4b4f95e08837b7c.png

What is still killing us is his atrocious deep balls.  Worst graded Deep Ball in the Big 12.

image.thumb.png.545e42ddf394a5d4315d9fb1bbfaab58.png

Card is the only QB in the Big12 with Zero deep ball 'Big Time Throws' - (throws that are well placed and delivered into a tight window).

Some that is playing calling. WV featured a lot of screens and quick passes to the flat (example being those quick flips to Sanders in the flat off the run fake). I think Texas had like 11-13 of those on under 30 passes called. Those are more extension of the run game, than true QB play (where he has to make reads). I thought WV was one of his better game plans this season. 

Edited by Codaxx

I never understood why people think that the Mannings would want Arch to start as a true freshman. They are the type to wait to make sure he is in the best position to succeed. Let him bulk up, learn the system and he only really needs one great season and the NFL will be drooling. Hopefully we will get a couple of seasons out of him

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

I never understood why people think that the Mannings would want Arch to start as a true freshman. They are the type to wait to make sure he is in the best position to succeed. Let him bulk up, learn the system and he only really needs one great season and the NFL will be drooling. Hopefully we will get a couple of seasons out of him

This. 2023 RS, play 2024-25 and Gone 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This. 2023 RS, play 2024-25 and Gone 

That would be my suspicion as well. If Quinn goes down on 2023 I’d hate to think Arch would say, nah- I’m good, but who knows, I guess it could happen. That’s not how I’d bet, but it could happen. The RS is all his preference though, it’s lunacy to think it will matter over the course of his UT career as he is not a 5 year guy, obviously. 
the hope is it’s merely a preference and not a requirement if the team needs him to stand in for an injured Quinn (Gos forbid). 

If anyone’s going to stick around in an extra year college it’s a Manning. Southern frat boys from generational wealth are not typically in a rush to leave campus.

He/his family do not need the NFL money in the slightest, and if he’s successful, Arch will be doing just fine financially at Texas. Not to mention it’s pretty well documented that QB’s that take an extra year in college tend to perform better.

I doubt Arch takes the full five in today’s climate, but I could see him taking a fourth year. I also doubt he’d “refuse” to play next year if number two on the depth chart or that he’d be held out if any games after four if needed. I just think the case is that they were fine with him not playing immediately, and if he doesn’t get in four games, there’s no reason not to redshirt him. Zero downside.

I think the Mannings are just fine with Arch not starting in 2023, and would probably prefer it. I doubt they care if he plays in four or more games or not. 

I guess a better way of saying it is, it's not like they're insisting he stays for five years. So it doesn't matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

If anyone’s going to stick around in an extra year college it’s a Manning. Southern frat boys from generational wealth are not typically in a rush to leave campus.

He/his family do not need the NFL money in the slightest, and if he’s successful, Arch will be doing just fine financially at Texas. Not to mention it’s pretty well documented that QB’s that take an extra year in college tend to perform better.

I doubt Arch takes the full five in today’s climate, but I could see him taking a fourth year. I also doubt he’d “refuse” to play next year if number two on the depth chart or that he’d be held out if any games after four if needed. I just think the case is that they were fine with him not playing immediately, and if he doesn’t get in four games, there’s no reason not to redshirt him. Zero downside.

Arch will take a 4th year here because after his 3rd year here, his RS Soph year, he’ll have work to do to improve his draft stock. Ewers is gone after next year. Manning is nowhere near Ewers, one of those guys is a generational arm talent and it’s not Arch. Arch will be very successful at the college level because by that time hopefully Sark’s machine is running and our line is full of studs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

Arch will take a 4th year here because after his 3rd year here, his RS Soph year, he’ll have work to do to improve his draft stock. Ewers is gone after next year. Manning is nowhere near Ewers, one of those guys is a generational arm talent and it’s not Arch. Arch will be very successful at the college level because by that time hopefully Sark’s machine is running and our line is full of studs. 

The NFL will have a hard on for Arch after his first college completion simply because of the name on the back of the jersey.

2 hours ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

There’s more to being a great QB than arm talent. You’d have probably drafted Ryan Leaf over Peyton.

Sounds like Ewers will be playing in the RRR this weekend.
I hope that if we go up big...

...and uh, if we're still up BIG at the start of the 4th quarter.... that we let Card play.

He's done well this year and deserves to be able to say he QB'd during a RRR game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Sounds like Ewers will be playing in the RRR this weekend.
I hope that if we go up big...

...and uh, if we're still up BIG at the start of the 4th quarter.... that we let Card play.

He's done well this year and deserves to be able to say he QB'd during a RRR game. 

This.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Gonna laugh if his performance smokes ewers next year. I'm not saying it will, I"m not saying Sark was wrong in riding with Ewers as a freshman, and I'm not saying Card should stay in Austin. Just laughing thinking of the reaction on this board. 

You couldn’t care less about what actually happens with the real football team. Your interest is with internet message board reactions. 

Cool stuff Blotto!