the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

If he does that then I think Jeffries becomes speaker.

I say that because I'm not sure the 20 against McCarthy are actually interested in actually being in power. They just want to obstruct and cause chaos.

I don’t know, man—it’d be interesting.

7 minutes ago, tchookem said:
17 minutes ago, The Dog said:
I say that because I'm not sure the 20 against McCarthy are actually interested in actually being in power. They just want to obstruct and cause chaos.

I'm coming around to there idea that some in the GOP would actually prefer Dems keeping power. They need the Dems in power, so they can whine about the Dems being in power. The alternative is actually governing, and governing isn't their thing.

It's certainly a possibility, but it also means these guys and gals have a plan.

And I don't think they have any plan. They are making things up as they go along.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Do you think there are 10 who hate Kevin McCarthy that much? Because I don’t.

23 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think there are at least 10 who see McCarthy and his supporters as nothing more than RINOs.

And I think there are at least 10 who believe that unless they take McCarthy down now, they'll ever be able to take him down (at least until the Democrats win the House back).

And there are at least 10 who feel that if he won't give them what they want, then fuck him and fuck his supporters.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No. I said somebody should tell them a deal is to be had- to make them an offer and see where the offers lands and how.

The best way to divide them is to make them suspicious at an individual level of being left off the boat. 
For example - Jordan needs the McCarthy people and McCarthy needs Jordan himself. So I suggested an offer to McCarthy’s people that requires a Democrat Judiciary chair.  Why? Because:

1) it’s a nonstarter 

2) that’s the job Jordan wants and has been promised

McCarthy is a sniveling weasel but he's not a complete idiot. He'll see that coming a mile a way and it won't cause any rift at all. If anything it just pushes the Republicans closer together against you. 

That's why I said no deal talk. Put pressure on them from the outside through media and if you want on the inside you work on the small minority nutters since their goal is to stop everything down and be attention whores. The worse that minority gets for the McCarthy people the better for the Democrats. Try to play a long game pushing the majority of the Republicans back closer to center. We need to keep Gaetz and those extremist idiots dug in 100 percent against the rest of their party. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This was posted earlier but I saw in another post that the top vote getter from the majority party can occupy the office until a Speaker is formally decided.

Just more shit-slinging.

You mean Butthead didn't do the work to find out if he was right?

No way. 

MGT getting shut out and this guy overplaying his hand are some of the best. 

I mean, aren’t there 11 moderate GOPs that are safe from being primaried (or like Kinziger or Cheney, don’t care) that are just sick of this shit and would put Cuellar or someone of his ilk up?  Would Dems align behind that?  Never mind. That’s crazy talk. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil

Okay but, to be fair, isn’t that kind of what Congress is supposed to do?

At this point, based on the prevailing evidence, it seems that what congress is supposed to do is shoot itself in the dick repeatedly while cackling maniacally, pausing only to smear shit all over itself. And after that, then it gets down to the business of REALLY defiling itself.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean, aren’t there 11 moderate GOPs that are safe from being primaried (or like Kinziger or Cheney, don’t care) that are just sick of this shit and would put Cuellar or someone of his ilk up?  Would Dems align behind that?  Never mind. That’s crazy talk. 

Well there are 18 Republicans in Biden districts who are probably shitting their britches.

But Kinzinger and Cheney aren’t representatives any longer, sooooo…..

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

“As someone who has seen what an ordinary transition to a new House is supposed to look like, this dysfunction is blowing my mind. The American people elected a majority that literally is unable to govern!”

The GQP: All The Power, None Of The Responsibility 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

It’s really fun on occasion to watch people like Kevin McCarthy get owned, but this dysfunction is a serious national security vulnerability for us. The propaganda value alone is incredible. 

There’s no good answer either. The problem with radicals is that it is an illusory dream that you can bring them into places of responsibility and moderate them. The opposite occurs, they treat it as a vindication of their rhetoric and radicalism and they only succeed at dragging moderates to them.  I’ve seen it with Islamists in the near east and the far-right in Europe and now we have it here. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

I had honestly forgotten that the GOP elected a soon to be convicted child molester in Hastert then last time they ousted a speaker.

That has to give Jim Jordan an inside track to the speakership. Right? Assuming that watching kids get molested is nearly as powerful as Hastert's actual molestation in accumulating Republican speaker votes...

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I had honestly forgotten that the GOP elected a soon to be convicted child molester in Hastert then last time they ousted a speaker.

That has to give Jim Jordan an inside track to the speakership. Right? Assuming that watching kids get molested is nearly as powerful as Hastert's actual molestation in accumulating Republican speaker votes...

I can’t speak to how it helps speaker votes, but we know it appeals to Jordan’s personal predilections. 

9 hours ago, tchookem said:
9 hours ago, The Dog said:

I'm coming around to there idea that some in the GOP would actually prefer Dems keeping power. They need the Dems in power, so they can whine about the Dems being in power. The alternative is actually governing, and governing isn't their thing.

Especially when the boogeyman is a black guy named Hakeem.  

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Well there are 18 Republicans in Biden districts who are probably shitting their britches.

But Kinzinger and Cheney aren’t representatives any longer, sooooo…..

“Like” Kinziger and Cheney.   In any event, like I said, crazy talk.  I would think even in a competitive district, a rep wouldn’t turn because that means zero money from the party in 2024 and likely primaried from the right.  Leopards eating faces and all.  

Ultimately, I think Trump switches horses to someone like Scalise who may be acceptable to the Never Kevins, and this is over notwithstanding proclamations like the ones the “only Kevins” like Crenshaw are making. 

I’m not sure why Trump’s endorsement should be a factor in who is elected Speaker. His impact is on the deplorables in the base and getting unqualified extremists nominated. Once a rep is in office, Trump can’t affect them until the next election rolls around. As long as they remember to kiss his ass before then, they should be fine, right?

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s really fun on occasion to watch people like Kevin McCarthy get owned, but this dysfunction is a serious national security vulnerability for us. The propaganda value alone is incredible. 

There’s no good answer either. The problem with radicals is that it is an illusory dream that you can bring them into places of responsibility and moderate them. The opposite occurs, they treat it as a vindication of their rhetoric and radicalism and they only succeed at dragging moderates to them.  I’ve seen it with Islamists in the near east and the far-right in Europe and now we have it here. 

I don't really understand this take.  Do you think the Mullahs are going to answer the protesters, "yeah, we know you're pissed about the oppression, the corruption, and the economic disaster, but the Republicans can't elect a speaker"?

People around the world aren't going to stop wanting civil rights or a say in their government because the Republicans in the United States House of Representatives are a shitshow or because the Conservatives in the UK House of Commons are a bunch of spoons.  Dictators right around the world don't try to convince their people that autocracy is a superior form of government; they try to convince them that they actually have democracy by holding sham elections.

Kevin McCarthy is a craven and corrupt weakling.  It is to the very great credit of our system and to the House of Representatives as an institution that he is being weeded out.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Savage

Exactly. Not a single Dem should vote for any GOP to break the impasse. This is not only to prolong their show of incompetence but also to avoid GOPs saying, well you voted for him. Do not share any responsibility with a criminal organization. Period.

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Kevin McCarthy is a craven and corrupt weakling.  It is to the very great credit of our system and to the House of Representatives as an institution that he is being weeded out.

Well, sure.  But to counter this; look at who is doing the weeding, and what (?) they are wanting to replace it with.  MTG would nominate Trump to be Speaker, if she could get by with it.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Well, sure.  But to counter this; look at who is doing the weeding, and what (?) they are wanting to replace it with.  MTG would nominate Trump to be Speaker, if she could get by with it.

Yeah. I'm not a Lord of the Rings fan, but this is like choosing between orcs in a beauty contest.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Exactly. Not a single Dem should vote for any GOP to break the impasse. This is not only to prolong their show of incompetence but also to avoid GOPs saying, well you voted for him. Do not share any responsibility with a criminal organization. Period.

Yep.

Don't help them
Don't give them an out

Their idiocy and dysfunction is on full display.  This is just the tip of the iceberg before someone does become Speaker and Judiciary Chair Gym Jordan is screaming about Hunter Biden's dong for 18 months. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't really understand this take.  Do you think the Mullahs are going to answer the protesters, "yeah, we know you're pissed about the oppression, the corruption, and the economic disaster, but the Republicans can't elect a speaker"?

People around the world aren't going to stop wanting civil rights or a say in their government because the Republicans in the United States House of Representatives are a shitshow or because the Conservatives in the UK House of Commons are a bunch of spoons.  Dictators right around the world don't try to convince their people that autocracy is a superior form of government; they try to convince them that they actually have democracy by holding sham elections.

You have to take the wide-angle view of things, as it’s not the the sole event, it’s that this is a symptom of a deeper issue— our system has handed significant power to a bloc that is not just uninterested in responsible government, it wants chaos and ungovernance. 

I’d also say you’re a few years behind the curve on the autocrats’ playbook.  At home and abroad, our nearest peer competitor (China) explicitly contrasts the stability of their uniparty system as an advantage to U.S. unpredictability. For that matter, so does not only Mr. Orban but legions of differently relevant devotees across the old continent using the formulation “illiberal democracy.” The Washington consensus has eroded and with it much of the kabuki theater that used to get put on. 

This sort of long-term chaos absolutely makes us less credible in advocating for the rules based order we designed, and even less desirable as a partner in purely transactional terms. Really, the only reason we aren’t getting further ditched is because of terror from Putin’s colossal fuckup.

McCarthy is craven and contemptible. That’s not why his bid will fail. He is losing because a not insignificant chunk of then majority House party wants a real fascist. That’s not at all a credit to how things are going. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You have to take the wide-angle view of things, as it’s not the the sole event, it’s that this is a symptom of a deeper issue— our system has handed significant power to a bloc that is not just uninterested in responsible government, it wants chaos and ungovernance. 

I’d also say you’re a few years behind the curve on the autocrats’ playbook.  At home and abroad, our nearest peer competitor (China) explicitly contrasts the stability of their uniparty system as an advantage to U.S. unpredictability. For that matter, so does not only Mr. Orban but legions of differently relevant devotees across the old continent using the formulation “illiberal democracy.” The Washington consensus has eroded and with it much of the kabuki theater that used to get put on. 

This sort of long-term chaos absolutely makes us less credible in advocating for the rules based order we designed, and even less desirable as a partner in purely transactional terms. Really, the only reason we aren’t getting further ditched is because of terror from Putin’s colossal fuckup.

McCarthy is craven and contemptible. That’s not why his bid will fail. He is losing because a not insignificant chunk of then majority House party wants a real fascist. That’s not at all a credit to how things are going. 

Kevin McCarthy is losing precisely because he is craven and contemptable.  If he were John Boehner, he'd be able to do a deal with the Democrats.  And the Democrats would do that deal, because you could trust John Boehner to keep his word.  But you can absolutely trust Kevin McCarthy not to keep his word.  And that's why he has no room to maneuver.  Nobody trusts any promise he may give.

As to China--they mimic a rules-based order.  They have had rules.  The critical thing with Xi is that he has thrown out a lot of rules on which Chinese economic expansion has been based.  And the Chinese economy and society are suffering right now as a result.  If anyone wants to compare China's overflowing hospitals, economic stagnation, and governmental uncertainty to our entertaining little shitshow, well . . . I'm happy for that comparison.

• Hook 'Em 2