the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s really fun on occasion to watch people like Kevin McCarthy get owned, but this dysfunction is a serious national security vulnerability for us. The propaganda value alone is incredible. 

There’s no good answer either. The problem with radicals is that it is an illusory dream that you can bring them into places of responsibility and moderate them. The opposite occurs, they treat it as a vindication of their rhetoric and radicalism and they only succeed at dragging moderates to them.  I’ve seen it with Islamists in the near east and the far-right in Europe and now we have it here. 

Europe tried the same shit with their fascists 90 years ago. It never works.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Europe tried the same shit with their fascists 90 years ago. It never works.

Exactly.

"Accommodating" rats at your house means you end up with a rat infestation.

"Accommodating" termites means your house ends up falling down.

You don't accommodate destructive vermin.  You kick them out.  

The GQP invited fascists to the party.  Now, they've gotta deal with an infestation of vermin who only destroy.  Stupid move, GQP.  We tried to warn you.  Enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This sort of long-term chaos absolutely makes us less credible in advocating for the rules based order we designed, and even less desirable as a partner in purely transactional terms. Really, the only reason we aren’t getting further ditched is because of terror from Putin’s colossal fuckup.

Bingo.  It's almost like Ghost didn't see what happened to the UK pound when their shitshow went on full display.  Of course we have the advantage of a huge military and a propensity of blowing up shit.  So go, us.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Come in at noon to vote for another recess?  Another strong work day for our elected representation. 

poor @Bateshorn is probably double booked with all these reps with all this free time and their hands out. 

It’s totally fucking up my work schedule.  I’m supposed to be introducing myself to new members, talking to committees, etc.  

NO ONE IS IN CHARGE?!! 

john travolta nba GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

31 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Bingo.  It's almost like Ghost didn't see what happened to the UK pound when their shitshow went on full display.  Of course we have the advantage of a huge military and a propensity of blowing up shit.  So go, us.

Sterling collapsed because Truss and Kwarteng proposed massive tax cuts without any spending reductions.  And in the Westminster System, the Government's policies bear a high likelihood of being enacted.  

There's nothing remotely equivalent here.  The Republicans aren't proposing anything similar, and even if they were, it would have no chance of getting through the Senate or being signed by Biden.

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The big bugaboo will be the debt limit.  Can the government organize enough to prevent a default.

Well, ideally, yeah.  But in this climate?  

Ukraine is gonna be the reason to default, because [checks notes] "Ukraine is gonna bankrupt us, but we need to build a wall".

Not only is Bakersfield shitty, but McCarthy represents the really crap part of it.  The only good parts of it fall into whoever is Dist. 21.  Then Porterville, and some shitty parts of the Valley north of L.A.  It's largely white, working class, uneducated...so perfect for him.  There's some decent industry and farming out there, both of which rely on migrant workers.  And Edwards AFB, perhaps the crown jewel of the District.  And oh yeah, lotta meth and fentanyl manufacturing out there.  A lot.  

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m not sure why Trump’s endorsement should be a factor in who is elected Speaker. His impact is on the deplorables in the base and getting unqualified extremists nominated. Once a rep is in office, Trump can’t affect them until the next election rolls around. As long as they remember to kiss his ass before then, they should be fine, right?

Trump (or his advisers) have to be working some game here.   Backing McCarthy "should" get the Gosars, Biggs and Roys to go along.   The fact that they aren't means something else is going on here.   My guess is that Trump is saying one thing out loud (Back McCarthy) doing another in the background (Telling the Freedom Caucus to fight it.)  He's trying to take down McCarthy because Kevin is a threat to him.  Whether that's real or imagined doesn't really matter.

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Trump (or his advisers) have to be working some game here.   Backing McCarthy "should" get the Gosars, Biggs and Roys to go along.   The fact that they aren't means something else is going on here.   My guess is that Trump is saying one thing out loud (Back McCarthy) doing another in the background (Telling the Freedom Caucus to fight it.)  He's trying to take down McCarthy because Kevin is a threat to him.  Whether that's real or imagined doesn't really matter.

I don’t think he is capable of engineering a private victory covered by a public loss. Only the opposite. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hermanator said:

Now trump isn't extreme enough for the nutso faction. 

Democrats need to start impressing on the republicans outside the pure nutso faction that they need to start meeting in the middle to make the nutsos mostly irrelevant. 

They can’t do that because they’ll get primaried by a nutso the next time they’re up for reelection.  See Liz Cheney.

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

It’s totally fucking up my work schedule.  I’m supposed to be introducing myself to new members, talking to committees, etc.  

NO ONE IS IN CHARGE?!! 

john travolta nba GIF

Charles isn’t in charge?

• Haha 1

If I actually gave a shit about saving the GOP, I'd say fuck it. Let them appoint one of the nutsos. Bite the bullet on what they let crawl into their midst. Hand the nutsos the rope and plan to do this whole dance again in a month or two once they've truly hang themselves. That may be the only way to salvage the GOP as it sort of existed pre-Trump. But since I don't give a shit about them, this is hilarious. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

They can’t do that because they’ll get primaried by a nutso the next time they’re up for reelection.  See Liz Cheney.

Not if they publicly talk all sorts of shit while privately working with them. The Republican base doesn't care about getting anything done enough to check if anything actually got done. They just want to hear all the bullshit and how the republicans aren't taking shit and stopping the libs at every turn. I'd tell certain reps that are closest to the middle to talk all the shit they want to appease their idiot base. 

I'm surprised more of them haven't done this. They've been stripping rights and stealing money from the rubes for decades and they don't notice. Just give the idiots the sound bites they need. 

This whole fiasco shows how our entire system of government seems built on the presumption that representatives will compromise rather than dig in.  It seems the idea of rational actors in the majority compromising to address concerns of minorities (who also would compromise to get concessions) has completely gone out the window.  Instead our government now appears to be controlled by the minority who has determined that power comes solely from refusal to compromise in any way (and is successful).

Time for plurality control.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Typically, when things were still functional, you could horse trade and negotiate with the other guy because he wanted something. These folks want nothing. They have no plan or goal other than to burn it all down. These men are nihilists, Donny.

IMHO I think the best analogy I saw was to view them as a reality show and they need to keep everyone's attention. So they don't want anything other than attention. 

Another point that supports that they want "nothing" is that ideologically none of these clowns are really far to the right of McCarthy. He's pretty conservative himself. 

38 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Not only is Bakersfield shitty, but McCarthy represents the really crap part of it.  The only good parts of it fall into whoever is Dist. 21.  Then Porterville, and some shitty parts of the Valley north of L.A.  It's largely white, working class, uneducated...so perfect for him.  There's some decent industry and farming out there, both of which rely on migrant workers.  And Edwards AFB, perhaps the crown jewel of the District.  And oh yeah, lotta meth and fentanyl manufacturing out there.  A lot.  

Taft >>>> Bakersfield especially once Johnny O got hurt.

1439-2.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

This whole fiasco shows how our entire system of government seems built on the presumption that representatives will compromise rather than dig in.  It seems the idea of rational actors in the majority compromising to address concerns of minorities (who also would compromise to get concessions) has completely gone out the window.  Instead our government now appears to be controlled by the minority who has determined that power comes solely from refusal to compromise in any way (and is successful).

Time for plurality control.

I'll say it again -- McCarthy needs to start today by proposing winner by plurality vote.  Let the 20 either fall in line or fully destroy the GOP.  

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Not only is Bakersfield shitty, but McCarthy represents the really crap part of it.  The only good parts of it fall into whoever is Dist. 21.

I have an aunt and uncle that lived in Lamont. Used to visit them when I was a kid in the 60's. It seemed like a pretty nice place compared to the rural North Texas I was used to. 20 years later I returned to Lamont and saw how dependent the town was on corporate agriculture and life there was pretty f'n hard. My aunt and uncle moved to Bakersfield to escape the economic decline. Kind of reminds me of McFarland, USA.

Really didn't think it would come to this but if McCarthy can't get the votes the name I see mentioned in articles is Fred Upton (as in Kate's uncle and retired Michigan rep).

And I don't read the "start with Kevin" line as expecting Democrats to support McCarthy but rather they should try to do everything they can to get him elected Speaker before moving on to other options. 

Representative Dumb Fuck Packer Fan trying to insult Democrats for enjoying Yesterdays shit show, saying “it’s democracy and democracy is messy”.  

No man, when every majority party for 100 years has its shit together and can pick a Speaker it’s you, not them. 

NO ONE IS IN CHARGE?!! 

200.gif

Off topic - but @Bateshorn your career is so fascinating to me. Any way a 50 year old liberal woman from Alabama - with no career experience in politics - can get in the door?

I have a Masters and did sales, marketing, hospital administration for 25 years.

Just wanting to get the fuck out of Alabama and do something meaningful.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have not read this entire thread, so apologies if already posted, but, and dumb question amnesty requested:

The Rs have a slight majority, so obviously a D isn't going to get elected as Speaker.  Wouldn't it be a 5D chess move for the Ds to support (ie. vote for) a moderate R for Speaker?  I realize this might seem like a dumb idea on the surface, but the ramifications of doing it seem to perhaps have more nuance/depth than a surface reaction might evoke.  Thwart the Trumpist wing soundly, perhaps weaken the R Speaker's position within his/her party, perhaps engender some tit for tat/leverage with the R Speaker, etc.