the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

he almost made it to the d's though, so...

lol I work in a non-profit community hospital in Alabama.

I’m used to low salaries and constant bullshittery.

I’m just starting to really want to be somewhere else and starting to make plans rather then dreams.

Once I get the youngest off my payroll and I don’t have to be tied here for instate tuition - I want rid of this place.

Sorry - I should probably take this to the thread for this stuff - I just saw bateshorn posting about his work and thought I’d shoot my shot.

Back to pointing and laughing at Republicans!
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Kevin McCarthy - LLLLL

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

say what you will about Nancy, and i know a lot of folks on this board have said/thought the worst about her...

but she was fucking superior at her job. i mean gotdamn did she know how to do that job well. what an impressive lady.

Two separate stints as Speaker with 2 very different caucuses 

Edited by Js1

4 minutes ago, mchookem said:

say what you will about Nancy, and i know a lot of folks on this board have said/thought the worst about her...

but she was fucking superior at her job. i mean gotdamn did she know how to do that job well. what an impressive lady.

i know this whole forum thinks Boehner and Ryan were/are evil assholes.  But I still think they both did a solid job and are men of character and patriotism.  Both saw where the party was headed and got the fuck out of Dodge. 

But yes, by far the two best Speakers in my lifetime are O'Neill and Pelosi.  And it's not even close. 

The rest I could take or leave, except Hastert.  Convicted child molester.  A stain forever, that strangely never gets talked about very much amongst either party.  Gingrich for the monster he continues to evolve for the worst, was pretty good that first term at whipping votes and getting some shit done with Bill Clinton. 

Don't get me started on that Okie asshole, Carl Albert who was Speaker the first 6 months of my life.  asshole!!!!!!!!  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If so you'd think that he'd have started with his own fucking baldness first. 

You didn't hear about his baldness cure?  They say it really grows hair.  You'll look like Stalin!

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Has Fox News started telling its viewers the Democrats are being obstructionists for not helping the Republicans pick their speaker?

I did hear a GOP Congressman on CNN blaming the Dems for voting against an adjournment today "so we could have time to talk this out."

Just now, Beau Vine said:

I did hear a GOP Congressman on CNN blaming the Dems for voting against an adjournment today "so we could have time to talk this out."

Every time McCarthy tries to talk it out, he loses votes. So I think the Dems did him a favor 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

You didn't hear about his baldness cure?  They say it really grows hair.  You'll look like Stalin!

212-201-20-1!!!

I wish they would mix it up a bit.  It’s hard to use the numbers for powerball when I’ve only got 0, 1, and 2 to work with.  This discrimination against digits higher than 2 must not be allowed to stand.

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

There’s no play here for democrats. Fuck any talk of deal making 

Sure there’s a play. There is no GOP majority right now, so any negotiation would have a tactical objective of preventing the formation of one for as long as possible (as opposed to a “deal”), to hold the plurality until such time that an achievable strategic objective becomes apparent. If a majority can’t form, all other GOP strategic objectives are foreclosed. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

For everyone that complains about the 2 party system and pines for European style parliamentary representation … this has kind of de facto turned into that shit show.  Not having a government (sometimes for months or years in Europe) until someone forms a coalition with the Boebert types to get a majority - good times!

The simple fix would be ranke choice voting of some sort so we don't have to do infinite rounds of voting to determine a winner. It would also help if the requirement to win was for the highest %of votes instead of over 50%. That's how you allow third parties to participate, and potentially work deals for coalition votes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The simple fix would be ranke choice voting of some sort so we don't have to do infinite rounds of voting to determine a winner. It would also help if the requirement to win was for the highest %of votes instead of over 50%. That's how you allow third parties to participate, and potentially work deals for coalition votes. 

or just get rid of the party system altogether and have people voted based on *gasp* the qualifications of the candidate. 

• Drool 1

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

For everyone that complains about the 2 party system and pines for European style parliamentary representation … this has kind of de facto turned into that shit show.  Not having a government (sometimes for months or years in Europe) until someone forms a coalition with the Boebert types to get a majority - good times!

You don’t have to have the nutters to cobble a majority. The middle of the 2 parties can form one

• Hook 'Em 1

Here’s what could happen:

1) McCarthy fails on 6th vote with 5-7 more defections from his side voting “present” (a dangerous game) to show HFC they are about to make their best and final offer

2) Adjournment until tonight or tomorrow

3) GOP conference coalesces around Scalise withs steering committee seats for HFC etc

4) Kumbaya sung

5) Democrats gain nothing

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

or just get rid of the party system altogether and have people voted based on *gasp* the qualifications of the candidate. 

I don't know how you eliminate the "party" system. If you dissolve what exists, new ones would form. I suppose the de-facto way to do this is major, major campaign finance reform and capping all money to any candidate to something reasonable, not the fucking billionaire dark money turnstile it is now...which I think everyone is fine with, at least on this board. But you can't just "eliminate" the party system. Parties would just re-form in some manner or another. 

37 minutes ago, mdmost said:

McCarthy is now channeling Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy.

1587135509435.jpeg

I used that exact analogy with GOLL at lunch today to describe McCarthy's folly.

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Here’s what could happen:

1) McCarthy fails on 6th vote with 5-7 more defections from his side voting “present” (a dangerous game) to show HFC they are about to make their best and final offer

2) Adjournment until tonight or tomorrow

3) GOP conference coalesces around Scalise withs steering committee seats for HFC etc

4) Kumbaya sung

5) Democrats gain nothing

The result of that is a joke of a party running a joke of a Congress that is a monkey-poo flinging show.  Which is a win for Dems.

Again, their slogan stands ready and unassailable: "The Repubs can't even run their own party, there's no way we should trust them to run the country."

There's only three real options:

1) McCarthy eventually wears the HFC down, and wins (very unlikely).

2) There is a "compromise" candidate like Scalise that both the McCarthy crowd and the HFC get behind.  Unlikely, but if such "compromise" candidate exists, his tenure will be heavy on the HFC agenda (of shit-flinging).

3) The GQP never can get their shit straight, and 6+ of them break away and vote for a moderate "compromise" candidate with the Dems.  Probably not likely.

4) stalemate, no speaker elected this Congress.  Fucking possible.

5) something completely batshit insane that nobody could have predicted.  This is a near certainty.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3