the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Is that even necessary?   

Would it even be possible to draw a district in west Texas that isn't red?

Looks to me like they are using that part of the panhandle to make sure the college kids in Denton can’t have a local rep that reflects them.  I wonder if all of Denton county is attached to very red places to make sure it stays red. 

• Drool 1

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Is that even necessary?   

It was getting a little bit bit worrisome for Burgess so Denton got sliced up into three parts.

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Looks to me like they are using that part of the panhandle to make sure the college kids in Denton can’t have a local rep that reflects them.  I wonder if all of Denton county is attached to very red places to make sure it stays red. 

Ding

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Is that even necessary?   

Has anyone ever tried to draw maps that actually reflect Texas 55/45 split? Just to see what it might look like? Like a 22/16 split. I know it will never happen, but I don’t think the Rs would ever hold the house again if it did. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This could get interesting:

https://www.al.com/news/2023/10/mike-rogers-will-not-back-jim-jordan-for-speaker-of-the-house-would-work-with-democrats.html

U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers (R-AL) said, “there was nothing that Jordan could do to get his support as Speaker of the House,” as reported in the Anniston Star.

Rogers left a closed-door caucus session Friday and said Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries (R-NY) should state concessions needed to help the GOP.

They put us in this ditch along with eight traitors,” Rogers told Capitol Hill reporters. “We’re still the majority party, we’re willing to work with them but they gotta tell us what they need.”

Rogers has voiced his anger at the eight Republicans who helped oust former Speaker Kevin McCarthy, calling them “traitors” who “paralyzed” the House, according to a report.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

... The way he expresses democrats as being responsible ...

He cast everyone that voted to oust McCarthy in the same boat of responsibility.  He called the MAGA 8 traitors.  I really think you read his statement with some strongly partisan glasses.  Yes, the MAGA 8 initiated the process, but folks keep saying that people are responsible for their votes when the context is electing an R rep.  Is there a double standard with D reps voting to oust a speaker?  Sure they had valid reasons for their vote, but they are still responsible for their votes aren't they?  Chaos is a ladder?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Maybe its just a stump that is everyone's chopping block.

I ran across a really interesting congressman from North Carolina on Tik Tok that I really liked. I thought to myself, “Finally! A Republican who seems pretty honest, clear, and direct”.  I was going to recommend him to this thread as a great speaker candidate. Alas, I realized Jeff Jackson is a Democrat. Of course. 

• Haha 5

Meanwhile the world is burning. I’d really like to see moderates bury the Maga faction and democrats join them for foreign policy reasons and start this experiment all over and get on with funding Ukraine and Israel and signaling to Iran and Russia that FAFO applies to them. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, bernorange said:

He cast everyone that voted to oust McCarthy in the same boat of responsibility.  He called the MAGA 8 traitors.  I really think you read his statement with some strongly partisan glasses.  Yes, the MAGA 8 initiated the process, but folks keep saying that people are responsible for their votes when the context is electing an R rep.  Is there a double standard with D reps voting to oust a speaker?  Sure they had valid reasons for their vote, but they are still responsible for their votes aren't they?  Chaos is a ladder?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Maybe its just a stump that is everyone's chopping block.

Why won't the Democrats get in the middle while Republicans are throwing feces at each other?!?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

40 minutes ago, bernorange said:

The democrat votes have been entirely consistent from the time this congress first convened, to now. What’s the issue with that?

• Hook 'Em 3

Meanwhile the world is burning. I’d really like to see moderates bury the Maga faction and democrats join them for foreign policy reasons and start this experiment all over and get on with funding Ukraine and Israel and signaling to Iran and Russia that FAFO applies to them. 

They won’t. Because top to bottom, the GQP is a garbage party. It has only two factions: total shitbags, and complicit shitbags. Even the “best” of them want chaos, destruction, and suffering…because that way, they have something to blame on the Dems. Because the GQP cannot and does not ever lead; it only blames. It then uses that to take power and ram through unpopular shit.
They’re all evil at this point. If you have an R next to your name, you’re a piece of shit. Never trust a Republican. About anything.
  • Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Why won't the Democrats get in the middle while Republicans are throwing feces at each other?!?

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LOL wut?  The Republicans have been trying to burn down the country for over a decade and somehow it's the Democrats who need to reach across the aisle?

Fuck that.  Republicans couldn't even get their own house in order.  Not my problem.  It is, however, hilarious.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They won’t. Because top to bottom, the GQP is a garbage party. It has only two factions: total shitbags, and complicit shitbags. Even the “best” of them want chaos, destruction, and suffering…because that way, they have something to blame on the Dems. Because the GQP cannot and does not ever lead; it only blames. It then uses that to take power and ram through unpopular shit.
They’re all evil at this point. If you have an R next to your name, you’re a piece of shit. Never trust a Republican. About anything.

7 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Even if any of the Moderate Rs were decent human beings, the Republican primary voter will not allow any deals that negates the MAGA caucus. The voters in the R primaries are batshit crazy.

I guess I’d like a moderate speaker and a functioning House so we aren’t seen as weak while the despots across the globe think they can take advantage. 

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

as you said, the democrats has reasons for their vote. McCarthy was a lying snake who’d reneged on multiple deals. They didn’t initiate the motion to vacate. They just voted. The fact that R wants to cite them as responsible because their fucking freak show of a party can’t govern itself, or anything, is some typical lack of accountability Republican bullshit. McCarthy has been bitching about it too, as if none of his horrific deal cutting to get the gavel in the first place, which neutered him, and his backstabbing and lying had something to do with his situation. No, he goes on interviews and blames the fucking Democrats. 

Blaming anyone else for their situation is bullshit. As if the democrats are responsible for the fact those toddlers can’t get to 217. It took what, 15 times around before? Is that the fault of the democrats too? Fuck that bullshit 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 8

40 minutes ago, troph said:

I guess I’d like a moderate speaker and a functioning House so we aren’t seen as weak while the despots across the globe think they can take advantage. 

We are weak. We are broken. We are not in a place to properly govern ourselves. 

And ironically it's American companies that created social media and created the smart phone that has facilitated our rapid downfall. America was always a house of cards propped up on lies, bullshit propaganda, and an unearned superiority complex. A little over a decade of social media unraveled it all. The house of cards collapsed. I think at this point it should be clear to everyone who isn't an idiot that it will only get worse. Our systems are slowly breaking down, social order is slowly breaking down, and hatred and delusion are rising. Every day enjoy the present moment because it will never be as good in America again. 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

We are weak. We are broken. We are not in a place to properly govern ourselves. 

And ironically it's American companies that created social media and created the smart phone that has facilitated our rapid downfall. America was always a house of cards propped up on lies, bullshit propaganda, and an unearned superiority complex. A little over a decade of social media unraveled it all. The house of cards collapsed. I think at this point it should be clear to everyone who isn't an idiot that it will only get worse. Our systems are slowly breaking down, social order is slowly breaking down, and hatred and delusion are rising. Every day enjoy the present moment because it will never be as good in America again. 

The house of cards would be true for civilization generally. In terms of military and economic power on the global stage, we are hardly a house of cards.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, troph said:

The house of cards would be true for civilization generally. In terms of military and economic power on the global stage, we are hardly a house of cards.

We can rack up debt like no country in history and flash fancy war machines we waste all that money on that we can only use to fuck with little shit middle eastern countries because anyone with any power could nuke us back if we fucked with them. 

Meanwhile a growing percentage of our population lives in poverty, we have a disasterous health care situation for the majority of the country, and we're potentially heading towards another civil war. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

as you said, the democrats has reasons for their vote. McCarthy was a lying snake who’d reneged on multiple deals. They didn’t initiate the motion to vacate. They just voted. The fact that R wants to cite them as responsible because their fucking freak show of a party can’t govern itself, or anything, is some typical lack of accountability Republican bullshit. McCarthy has been bitching about it too, as if none of his horrific deal cutting to get the gavel in the first place, which neutered him, and his backstabbing and lying had something to do with his situation. No, he goes on interviews and blames the fucking Democrats. 

Blaming anyone else for their situation is bullshit. As if the democrats are responsible for the fact those toddlers can’t get to 217. It took what, 15 times around before? Is that the fault of the democrats too? Fuck that bullshit 

Does anybody believe McCarthy would have allowed his caucus to bail out Speaker Pelosi had her party attempted to depose her?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I ran across a really interesting congressman from North Carolina on Tik Tok that I really liked. I thought to myself, “Finally! A Republican who seems pretty honest, clear, and direct”.  I was going to recommend him to this thread as a great speaker candidate. Alas, I realized Jeff Jackson is a Democrat. Of course. 

The distinguished gentleman Jeff Jackson?

The expectation from the start was that there would be no democrat support if one of the lunatics filed the MTV. Otherwise the single member MTV that McCarthy capitulated to would have had no power.

McCarthy chose to appease and empower terrorists rather than barter in good faith with democrats. 

• Hook 'Em 6