Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

26 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

In on one mother fuckers.  I’ve waited 42 years for this moment 

I get a call my grandma dies at the moment the rangers open it up 

Man, would have given anything to watch this moment with my grandad (passed 2 years ago). He watched the Rangers every chance he got for their entire existence in Arlington.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Been a fan since sports consciousness in mid 80s. Mad about our inability to hit against the Yankees in the mid 90s when we finally got good but not good enough. Wandered the desert for 11 seasons through Jon Hart bullshit. Then got really good. Never should have won in ‘10 but absolutely shoulda beat the Cards. ‘11 doesn’t disappear, just like ‘06 doesn’t disappear for the Mavs. However, this playoff run took me back to ‘10-‘16, like the last 6 seasons just didn’t happen.

I’ve never seen a team like this. The streakiest team ever and we got hot at the right time. And I love the management and players, and we are set up well for the next several years. So happy they are my team. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My first Rangers game was somewhere in the 70s. It was old timers day. In those days they actually played an old timer's game before the actual game.

Everybody who was anybody that was still alive was in that Old Timer's game! Mickey Mantle, Willie Mayes, Harmon Killebrew, I believe Joe DiMaggio was there, too. I remember Mickey couldn't run for shit, but he could still knock the shit out of the ball. That's about all I remember about it, but fuck, man. 

It's been a loooong haul. I never made it to many Rangers games, but I was always glued to the radio listening to Dick Risenhoover exclaim "GoodBYYYYE BaseBaaallll!!!"

It got me through a lot of childhood times. Never even expected a championship to happen, just as long as they kept on slugging it out.

Fuck me, they got us a World Series!

• Hook 'Em 4

Damn, I miss those old Rangers threads we had 2010-1012 on Shaggy. The thread would have to be divided into 2 parts because the server couldn’t handle the length.

I really fell in love with the Rangers when I lived in Dallas 90-92. We had season tickets so I’d go to 40 or 50 games a year. Those were the days of Sierra, Franco, Inky, and Nolan. Then I really loved watching those late 90’s teams that could never get past the Yankees. Then they got really good in 2010 and 2011. I was just happy to get there in 2010, but 2011 was absolutely crushing. It was every bit as crushing to me as the 2009 UT and 2013 Spurs teams.

All of that just got washed away. Holy shit! The Texas Rangers just won the World Series!!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Listening to Norm Hitzges and Merle Harmon call games on HSE when Charlie Hough was on the bump and slinging pus up to the plate seems like eons ago.  

Hitzges:  “Oh, my, Merle!!!”

Wow.  I was just about to bring up my first favorite Ranger player, Charlie Hough.  Emulating his knuckle ball for 10 years as a youth player is probably why my right elbow is f'd. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I cant say I was a Rangers fan.  although I attended my first MLB game in 1986, I was visiting my Grandparents in Hurst, and got to go to a Rangers game with my Uncle who was the biggest Dallas sports homers out there.   Dont know who the hell the Rangers played, I dont even know if they won the game,  it went into SUPER extra innings.

I think we finally left after the 11th inning (I was pissed we didnt stay till the end), next day we find out the game went to 17 or 18 innings. 

I cant claim fandom, but I know my dearly departed Uncle Ray would have loved this moment.  Ray passed in May 2005, he missed the Longhorns winning, the Mavericks winning it, and now the Rangers.....  ironically he was still around the last time the Cowboys won anything.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• immamac unlocked this topic