Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Wait does this mean Virginia has been even hotter!!

No, the number is where each state's first 6 months of the year rank in regards to the last 129 years. 129 means it's the hottest start to a year in Florida over that entire timespan. Virginia's 127 means it's the 3rd hottest start in the last 129 years. Texas' 124 would be the 6th hottest.

Bag on Avery all you want but he's got a point... this is not good.  We can all pretend it doesn't exist and not do anything about the grid, resiliency, water, etc. and just say, "2011 was worse".  Screw that.  Would be nice if some smart people worked on the problem.

On the plus side, new A/C system going in on Friday!

Bernie Mac Day GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

No, the number is where each state's first 6 months of the year rank in regards to the last 129 years. 129 means it's the hottest start to a year in Florida over that entire timespan. Virginia's 127 means it's the 3rd hottest start in the last 129 years. Texas' 124 would be the 6th hottest.

The west is cooler because they had the heaviest spring snow on record.  Sierra Nevada got over 300% of average.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

Dark tint west windows?

I have silver mylar in them now, but it needs replaced. If it ever gets condensation on it it's junk. I'm thinking about either building a sheet metal wall alongside the house for shade or looking into super heat reflective coating.

22 minutes ago, RPM said:

A/C pumping out 59 degree air. It's 72 in the house now. By 6 it will still be pumping out 59 degree air, but it will be 78. I need to build a heat shield on the west side to block the sun.

image.gif.481a8cb030e4c97a17b2682b1034fec0.gif

27 minutes ago, RPM said:

I have silver mylar in them now, but it needs replaced. If it ever gets condensation on it it's junk. I'm thinking about either building a sheet metal wall alongside the house for shade or looking into super heat reflective coating.

One story or two?  Any chance to plant some decent shrubs / trees there?  

It's incredible what shade over windows will do for your electric bill.  We have a ton of windows in our new house, but were strategic on orientation and overhangs.  There's one wall of windows that gets direct morning sun, but everything else has lots of shade.  Makes a huge impact on our monthly utility bill.  

53 minutes ago, RPM said:

A/C pumping out 59 degree air. It's 72 in the house now. By 6 it will still be pumping out 59 degree air, but it will be 78. I need to build a heat shield on the west side to block the sun.

Why is the house at 72? ERCOT is going to track you down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

One story or two?  Any chance to plant some decent shrubs / trees there?  

It's incredible what shade over windows will do for your electric bill.  We have a ton of windows in our new house, but were strategic on orientation and overhangs.  There's one wall of windows that gets direct morning sun, but everything else has lots of shade.  Makes a huge impact on our monthly utility bill.  

1 story. I'm surrounded by giant oaks that cover NS&E. There is a gap on the west that I could cover with a wall/fence.

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Why is the house at 72? ERCOT is going to track you down. 

They can pry my thermostat from my dead, comfortably climed hand. No Gestapo In WiseCo (unless these nutters start one).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

bag on Avery all you want but he's got a point... this is not good.  We can all pretend it doesn't exist and not do anything about the grid, resiliency, water, etc. and just say, "2011 was worse". 

About to get more interesting.  Going to suck for the scuba and fishing companies in Florida.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/12/us/florida-ocean-heat-coral-bleaching-climate/index.html

A sudden marine heat wave off the coast of Florida has surprised scientists and sent water temperatures soaring to unprecedented highs, threatening one of the most severe coral bleaching events the state has ever seen.

Sea surface temperatures around Florida have reached the highest levels on record since satellites began collecting ocean data. And the warming is happening much earlier than normal 

“We didn’t expect this heating to happen so early in the year and to be so extreme,” Derek Manzello, a coordinator at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Coral Reef Watch, told CNN. “This appears to be unprecedented in our records.”

The exceptional temperatures – close to 97 degrees Fahrenheit in some areas – are more than just another alarming climate record; extreme ocean heat and its duration are critical in deciding the survival of coral reefs. Temperatures that are too hot for too long cause coral to bleach, turning a ghastly white as they expel their algal food source and slowly starve to death.

Coral that bleaches won’t always die, but the more intense the heat and the longer it lasts, the more inevitable death becomes, coral experts said.

All it takes is sea surface warming of 1 degree Celsius, or 2 to 3 degrees Fahrenheit, beyond the reef’s normal highest temperature to trigger the heat stress that leads to bleaching, according to Manzello. The sea surface temperatures around Florida are more than 2 degrees Celsius above that normal range and have been for one to two weeks, he said.

Buoys off the coast of Florida measured hot tub-like water temperatures near 97 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday in the shallow, heat-prone Florida Bay between the southern tip of Florida and the Keys. The more ecologically vital and expansive coral reefs are located east and south of the Florida Keys, but the buoy measurements indicate just how extreme the heat in Florida has been so unusually early in the summer.

hot tub nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

Ocean temperatures around Florida usually get hotter as the summer progresses and don’t reach their peak until late August into September, Manzello said, meaning ocean temperatures could rise further. That would mean “significant and severe” bleaching will start in the next week and the coral could start to die altogether within a month, he said.

“It still remains to be seen if this event is going to be more or less severe than previous events,” Manzello said. “However, all of the evidence right now is pointing to the fact that it’s going to be one of the more severe events we’ve seen.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Went on a long walk after dinner.  Managed to not break a sweat on my head or chest where I usually start.  Get home, drinking some water.  Turned to the side to get more ice, perpendicular to the fridge.  Felt a nasty tug on my balls.  Had to shuffle to the bathroom and gingerly remove my sack from my inner thigh, hard telling how long it'd be stuck there via perspiration.  I'm sure my late 40's balls are very concerned that a comprehensive strategy to curb rising record temps does not yet include India.  

I expect this kinda shit in August.  But in early July and for this sustained a period of time?  I knew we'd pay for those first two summers of Covid that were pleasant when we all spent so much time outside.  But last year and this year are just fucking cruel.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Okie State said:

So for some reason a few of my AC vents have started collecting condensation and dripping. Haven't had that happen in this house before. Not sure if it's just the crazy humidity or what.

Maybe the humid outside air is getting in.  Are your windows doors and attic sealed pretty well?

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Went on a long walk after dinner.  Managed to not break a sweat on my head or chest where I usually start.  Get home, drinking some water.  Turned to the side to get more ice, perpendicular to the fridge.  Felt a nasty tug on my balls.  Had to shuffle to the bathroom and gingerly remove my sack from my inner thigh, hard telling how long it'd be stuck there via perspiration.  I'm sure my late 40's balls are very concerned that a comprehensive strategy to curb rising record temps does not yet include India.  

I expect this kinda shit in August.  But in early July and for this sustained a period of time?  I knew we'd pay for those first two summers of Covid that were pleasant when we all spent so much time outside.  But last year and this year are just fucking cruel.

OTOH, I could’ve gone to my death, never knowing that information. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My downstairs thermostat at 11:30 was two degrees higher than the setting. 

Temp 74

set 72

That is not what I want to see. It has been set at 72 all day.

I have a very reputable AC guy check my system twice a year and a month ago he said all was good.

Upstairs is now set to sleep temp of 67 (wife). If I wake up in the morning and it’s not 67 I’m going to lose my shit. 

Maybe the humid outside air is getting in.  Are your windows doors and attic sealed pretty well?
Windows and doors are good. I do have a couple holes in the outside siding where I'm installing outlet boxes and just haven't finished yet. That may be causing it. Also need to seal up around the vents I think. No issues last night so not sure why the night before was so bad.

Marin KXAN

Austin’s high temperature soared to 108° on Wednesday, our 21st 100° day of the year and the hottest temperature recorded so far in 2023. It was also a tie for the 14th-hottest temperature Austin has ever been with records back to 1897.

As an unusually strong heat dome continues to control our weather, there is no relief in sight for at least the next week.

Melting Season 6 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

34 minutes ago, Okie State said:
7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Windows and doors are good. I do have a couple holes in the outside siding where I'm installing outlet boxes and just haven't finished yet. That may be causing it. Also need to seal up around the vents I think. No issues last night so not sure why the night before was so bad.

A lot of times this is caused by reduced air flow. Change your filters. If you think you only have one filter, look really hard and make sure you don’t have a second. 

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

My downstairs thermostat at 11:30 was two degrees higher than the setting. 

Temp 74

set 72

That is not what I want to see. It has been set at 72 all day.

I have a very reputable AC guy check my system twice a year and a month ago he said all was good.

Upstairs is now set to sleep temp of 67 (wife). If I wake up in the morning and it’s not 67 I’m going to lose my shit. 

Well?

• Hook 'Em 1

I need to go up and flush my two lines with vinegar solution and clean out the drainage on the exterior.  Of course, it's so fucking hot in the attic, I don't want to do it...but that's exactly why I have to do it.  

Pro tip-when you're up on the ladder changing your filters, bring up a duster or several wet paper towels and clean out all the horizontal slats.  Thoroughly.  This time of year, with the A/C sucking so hard...the new filter is gonna age a month within a week sucking up all that dust/dirt.  Give it a good 5+ minute wipe-down, don't just switch out filters.  Also, check your line ends for ants/bugs looking for moisture...fuckers can clog shit up in a heartbeat.    

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, miguelito said:

For a split second I thought the left number was the high temperature for the day.  As I scanned to the right I was thinking, "Low 90's, that's not so bad, what are the low temperatures OH HOLY SHIT."

Every time I read about Phoenix being the fastest growing place in the US it blows my mind.

Why would you intentionally move to one of the hottest places on earth?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1