Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

anybody wanna tell him? 
Maybe it's slightly different in the Metroplex, but tomorrow most of Texas is heading for yet another record.  Tuesday might actually be a noticeable dropoff.  At least in Central Texas.  10 degrees 'cooler' with decent chance of some small precip.  Our grandchildren will read about this summer one day, but for the fact that all the paper will be torched.  

Our grandchildren will read about this summer as an example of how cool it used to be
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Took dogs for a walk around 7:45, actually fairly pleasant. Decent breeze and not too humid. By the end of the walk it had warmed up a good 7-8 degrees and I was pretty damn soaked in sweat. This afternoon is gonna be rough.

Definitely gonna try and take advantage of much  more tolerable mornings and evenings with the drier air rolling through this week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

All I know is my rain chances in Waco started at 24% earlier this morning and are sitting at 91% now.  

I will Andy Dufresne the hell out of my front yard this afternoon.  

Yeah, future radar has a patchy line of fairly strong storms popping up from San Angelo to Lufkin around 5:30. Looks like the lakes might actually get a little action this evening.

Meanwhile, Houston's on pace to shatter the previous all-time high. Already at 106 and it's only 2:15. We're a couple degrees ahead of Thursday's pace. The air out in front of this front is getting superheated. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You say "serial murder," I say "sacrifice to the rain gods."  Kill away, Nicole....kill away.

So now an advocate? But for the better communal good right? I mean, if we all get rain and Rainey street only loses a few clients, win for the greater good? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yes, and I wonder if nephew‘s brisket is halfway done yet.

My experience living in Colorado is that smoking brisket is no bueno.

I had a smoker a welder made for me in Oklahoma, and it couldn’t get enough air to keep the fire going. Evergreens are good for building houses, not so good for smoking meat.

How I miss the way the days cooled down in August!!! I never got used to swimming up there; the evaporative cooling when you got out of the polls was about the coldest I ever got up there.

• Hook 'Em 1

No… No…No…No!!!

2 things happened in the 60’s that made Texas livable; Air Conditioning and Liquor by the Drink.

Don’t Mess with either of them.  I’m still pissed that we had a National 55 MPH speed limit.

It is our inalienable right to enjoy somebody else’s refrigerated air when we go to HEB, Lowes or Walmart. It’s bad enough we have to go there, let’s not make it worse by having to sweat when we get there. 

HEB is not a deli counter. HEB having doors on the meat counters would be a mass casualty event during the holidays.

I agree that incoming business’  should pay some type of fee to support utility infrastructure. Age old argument that if everybody pays the incremental cost, who pays for the base cost?

On 8/26/2023 at 12:12 PM, After irth said:

Becker is my go-to.  Love that Viognier.  Do you know of any others that are worth a damn?

In addition to Becker I like Bent Oak, Infinite Monkey, and Messina Hof.. That said, basically all Texas Viogniers are at least very good and many are world class. I've never tasted a bad one. 

• Like 1

Just went with the boy to pick up some stuff from Lowe’s. Got in his SUV parked on the street…temp readout showed 120.

Driving around cooled it off to 109. This is fucky. My “project” is to build a new firewood rack (because the only two temps we have are “broil alive” and “freeze to death,” gotta be ready for both). Yeah…we won’t be doing shit outside today.

• Hook 'Em 1