Is COVID going to mess up another football season?

Zeus

Will COVID affect this upcoming football season?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Will COVID affect this upcoming football season?

• Yep we’re screwed - canceled games, no crowds, players out
    • No - this round will be generally ignored and college football will go on like normal

6 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Tbt to when A&M cancelled their match up with Wake Forest due to “COVID”… And the aggy faithful refused to acknowledge that Jimbo (the Floridian who 100% doesn’t believe in COVID in the first place) simply realized they’d get their ass beat lol.

Jimbo is West Virginian, he just worked in Florida

45 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'm not saying anything is going to get shut down, but it seems some of you people are not up on current events.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#maps_new-admissions-rate-county

image.png.1c160350a270ec292ac26466284373b2.png

image.png.80459e0d6df1779ccf6d96050eb3a476.png

Covid cases are up a bit, but this "wave" needs to be put into perspective. Rising covid cases will always give the media something to talk about, but the CDC certainly isn't sounding the alarm

10 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Tbt to when A&M cancelled their match up with Wake Forest due to “COVID”… And the aggy faithful refused to acknowledge that Jimbo (the Floridian who 100% doesn’t believe in COVID in the first place) simply realized they’d get their ass beat lol.

Beat me to it, but if aggy manage to qualify for a bowl game will they use it as an excuse to chicken out again?

Covid is not shutting anything down no matter how hard folks try and push it. Beyond a much larger base of vaccinated folks across country there is just general fatigue at the whole fucking thing.

Also there is so much evidence of how much school shutdowns adversely impacted kids that I just don't see appetite for it. WIl it be used as excuse to not go back to office at scale? Sure

Is it going to shut down CFB? Fuck no

• Like 1

We're gonna have some serious health issues for fans the first month of the season.  But it won't be because of Covid-19, it'll be like "The Leftovers" in that people next to you will just suddenly depart (as they burst into flames).  Get your booster, don't get your booster, I don't give a shit anymore.  But holy cow-110 degree heat index at kickoff on Saturday.  Probably 100 for Wyoming.  Maybe the same for Kansas.  Never mind Alabama.  I swear I read somewhere football was a "Fall" sport?  

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#maps_new-admissions-rate-county

image.png.1c160350a270ec292ac26466284373b2.png

image.png.80459e0d6df1779ccf6d96050eb3a476.png

Covid cases are up a bit, but this "wave" needs to be put into perspective. Rising covid cases will always give the media something to talk about, but the CDC certainly isn't sounding the alarm

Lol is that a nice little surge in College Station? Fire up the Jimbo excuses! 

3 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Man... lot of untreated covid PTSD in this forum. I don't think we'll see capacity restrictions but let's not trivialize covid. It just got Bray Wyatt. This shit isn't gone and it's real.

This. Of course Covid is not going to shut down the season. But if it makes it's way through a team's QB room, I could see a game or two getting cancelled. 

10 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

@BurntOrange&White fuck you, you thin-skinned twat.

Are you sure you're not an aggie?

I don't disagree

That would explain a lot about his posting history lulz. Slightly regarded takes, shit posting, goes through futureman phases but can’t be consistent. He’s like a less successful billy lucci haha. 

I'll take this seriously.

While I don't think it messes up the season in a way that is reminiscent of 2020 or even 2021, I do think it affects the season due to it still being highly contagious and have the ability to knock anybody on their ass for a couple of days. Also, it has shown the fun ability to exacerbate and thus expose congenital health issues.

So I think while it doesn't shut down a full team due to regulations around the disease, I do think there is the possibility for a team or unit to be hit hard by it due to it running through a position room because of how contagious it is. Like a stomach bug that saps strength for a week or two or beyond.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Covid is still a thing??

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/expect-covid-booster-shot-eris-subvariant-spreads-rcna101597

The most recent week-to-week data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show a 21.6% increase in hospital stays related to Covid. The increase is far below what the nation has previously endured, however. The current level of Covid hospitalizations is a third of what it was a year ago.

There are a few new virus variants that scientists are paying attention to because they appear to be changing in ways that might make the virus more contagious. It's not known whether the boosters will be as effective against those variants.

Despite the uptick in Covid, there is no talk of reinstating mask mandates this fall, the CDC told NBC News.

The updated Covid vaccine booster is expected to be cleared by the FDA ahead of a CDC vaccine advisory panel, which is scheduled to meet on Sept. 12 to vote on whether to recommend the updated vaccines.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/23/health/masks-covid-surge-wellness/index.html

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention urges people to “wear a mask with the best fit, protection, and comfort for you,” and it notes that some people are at higher risk for severe illness from Covid-19. But the agency doesn’t make a broad recommendation for everyone to adopt masks. That could change if hospitalizations reach critical levels. The CDC recommends universal masking in jurisdictions that have 20 or more people with Covid per 100,000 in local hospitals and masking for high-risk individuals when 10 to 19.9 people per 100,000 are hospitalized from the virus.

Overall, there were about four new hospital admissions for every 100,000 people nationwide in the week ending August 12, which is considered low, according to CDC thresholds. No counties had high levels of Covid-19 hospitalizations. But 85 counties — about 3% of the country — were in the medium threshold. About a quarter of those counties were in Florida.

https://www.keranews.org/health-wellness/2023-08-21/covid-19-hospitalizations-have-risen-again-in-texas-heres-what-to-know-about-a-new-variant

Texas isn’t immune to the uptick in COVID-19 hospitalizations across the country.

State data from the first week of August reported a 15% increase in one week. A new variant called EG.5 is believed to be behind the spread.

KERA’s Sam Baker talks with epidemiologist Dr. Saad Omer, head of the new school of public health at UT Southwestern Medical Center, about how EG.5 compares to other existing variants.

Is EG.5 more or less dangerous than other variants we've seen so far? 

We don't have any evidence that per infection it has a higher probability of death or hospitalization. But since it's evading immunity a little bit, it seems to be causing somewhat increased levels of hospitalization and death.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-masking-coming-back-covid-variants-experts-2023/

• Fuck You 2