Let's talk about opposing fan bases in the SEC and the horns down ...

SimkinsMan

3 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

... because I fucking love it.

Walking down the strip on Saturday evening in Tuscaloosa, wearing burnt orange, any number of young, drunk jackasses dropped the "horns down" on me and my party. It felt so cliched, so unoriginal, and yet so freaking awesome. I guess Alabama has an elephant or some fucking mascot which makes no sense? I can't be arsed enough to give a shit to know or care why. But everybody knows the Texas goddamn Longhorns. So my response, invariably, was "bring it on."

Barstool had set up some outdoor event before the game on the main drag, and was we walked by I could hear Dave Portnoy talking up the Alabama crowd. This fanbase was so classy, and so mature, and had seen it all that they were going to be the outlier, he said. They were above giving the horns down. But guess what? They weren't. I'm not sure how it looked on television, but everytime the stadium scoreboards showed a video feed of the crowd, it showed delightfully dimwitted students and kids and their parents throwing the horns down. Every time. 

Well guess what, motherfuckers. We love that shit.

You hate us? We love that you hate us. We expect it. You're going to hate us even more when we show up next year and take our place among the league elite. Aggies hate Texas more than they love our school. That's really what the Horns down means. "Ok, you may be better than us, but at least I know how to contort my hand like this."

As Sark said, embrace the hate. Because there's going to be more and more of it. 

thank you.

embrace it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I hate it because it's just so cliched and unoriginal as you said. I'm going to take your sign... and turn it upside down. Boom. It's the equivalent of I'm rubber you're glue. It's thinking you're clever for saying "t.u."

It's also just fucking weird that fanbases we don't play regularly do it. OU does it, I think it's dumb, but I understand it. When I see Alabama do it... what? Do we know you?

Just now, nineliveslost said:

It cracks me up. I think its hilarious that they do it thinking it bothers us and most of us don't care. We are in so many fan's head

I told my momma last night that if folks hate you you’re doing something right. I think I’m on to something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

I'm not sure how it looked on television, but everytime the stadium scoreboards showed a video feed of the crowd, it showed delightfully dimwitted students and kids and their parents throwing the horns down. Every time. 

Same on tv with people mugging the camera.  Is great knowing they did that all game long while Texas was leading for pretty much the entire game. 

and I am so hoping hill did what I saw and others saw.  Horns down don’t make a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

After Quinns post game interview, he walked over to the fence line to high five Texas fans and there was a young bamer there doing the horns down. Quinn stopped and exchanged a few words with then walked away, curious to what he said. Hopefully it was along the lines of scoreboard 

Edited by Smax
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Apparently we whining about where the band was sitting last night too.....

Screenshot_20230910-110814.thumb.png.716f95e7c82bea60544e6e542c74717b.png

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cw_hEJLAY_6/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

espn gave zero fucks and had our microband miked up out the gazoo, and didn't discuss the band's location or the retribution for last year, not once, during the entire broadcast, that i can remember

that was the first sign we were going to get a level opportunity last night

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

espn gave zero fucks and had our microband miked up out the gazoo, and didn't discuss the band's location or the retribution for last year, not once, during the entire broadcast, that i can remember

that was the first sign we were going to get a level opportunity last night

And on television, the band sounded outstanding! In fact, louder and more clear than Bama's band.

Absolutely delicious hearing the Eyes start when Ewers was ending his interview on the field.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

In years past, it didn’t necessarily bother me…it bothered me that we sucked. And people taunting us with “we’re back.”

We keep up excellent play they can do the Horns down all they want. Scoreboard. Also, all these articles with the “we’re back” shit. I want to be better than back. Back means we have a few good years of dominance and then wander the desert for long stretches. I want to be better than “back.” Let’s just dominate. We will be living rent free in the minds of all the SEC fandom so hopefully we back that up with kicking everyone’s asses. Being in this mediocre and unappreciative conference has done is no favors. We are moving on. And hopefully we will be better than back. We will be dominate for a long time. We kick ass and the Horns down is just a reminder that we’re better and they can’t come up with their own hand signs. Aggie has to be freaking out. We go to their house for a long overdue ass licking next year and they ain’t ready for it. Hook’em! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, runthebone said:

You know Texas is just thinking of a way to monetize it.

Who do you think is selling all those flags and decals they turn upside down? Sooners have been a sizable Bellmont income category for years.

Whenever I see a crowd shot of opposing fans going apoplectic with the horns down, my first thought is always "Thank you", you just provided the jinx needed. Makes the subsequent victory that much sweeter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was in DKR at the ‘21 game with my Horn wife/friends.  Ran into another osu guy, we were shooting the shit while chewing our nails from anxiety.  Someone wearing osu orange three rows down flipped the upside down hookem, me and nameless fellow Poke both cussed her out good.  

Got grief from my wife for suddenly being an asshole, but half the horns on our row were fist bumping me on the walk out…so, worth it. 

Hate that disrespectful shit, hope y’all wreck it next year (and am glad we don’t play y’all this year).  First game against Aggy is going to be 3-beers-by-kickoff, can’t miss tv.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

It cracks me up. I think its hilarious that they do it thinking it bothers us and most of us don't care. We are in so many fan's head

I honestly think some fanbases do it because they don't have a hand sign of their own, or least not one that's iconic.  And the whole Aggy thumbs up thing is, well, I'm not going to say anymore about it, but it's not original and is associated with politicians now more than it is with aggy.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

When I see Alabama do it... what? Do we know you?

In the words of a former junior at UT (until he was arrested for hazing)

don-draper-madmen.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn Fever said:

I always get a kick out of it. How many times have you seen a bull or steer charging? The horns go down when you FAFO. Just ask that little bitch Uga:

spacer.png

Whatever happened to the lawsuit against UT and the Silver Spurs filed by the pussy who was kneeling between UGA and Bevo?